May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn That does look nice! From what I understand from talking to runners that have run marathons is you want a course that mixes up and down hills so you're not fatiguing one leg muscle group. I'm going to have to strengthen my quads for the constant cycling of basically catching myself with my legs going down hill.

yup, yours might be a quad killer, but at least you know and can train for it. OTOH, it should be a pretty fast course too, if you're ready for the pounding, which I'm sure you will be!
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Thanks, we'll see. I wish I was where you're at though (almost done with training and getting into tapper mode and getting excited to run it). I know you're ready!! Way to fight through the couple obstacles (sickness and injury) that you've overcome in the couple months I've been on here. You're doing great! I wish I could run 19 miles! After about 10 I get that scene in my head from Lord of the Rings where Sam stops and says to Frodo "If I take one more step, it will be the furthest away from home I've ever been."
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Thanks, we'll see. I wish I was where you're at though (almost done with training and getting into tapper mode and getting excited to run it). I know you're ready!! Way to fight through the couple obstacles (sickness and injury) that you've overcome in the couple months I've been on here. You're doing great! I wish I could run 19 miles! After about 10 I get that scene in my head from Lord of the Rings where Sam stops and says to Frodo "If I take one more step, it will be the furthest away from home I've ever been."
    HAHAHAHAHA. That's great! I felt that way before too..... Then I started driving to my starting point and running home...LOL.... Yeah, it's great having "only" 4 and a half weeks until taper, and 6.5 total until race day. A year ago, I NEVER would have thought it possible. Just goes to show that taking risks can often lead to big rewards.... Or I hope it will come race day!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHAHA. That's great! I felt that way before too..... Then I started driving to my starting point and running home...LOL.... Yeah, it's great having "only" 4 and a half weeks until taper, and 6.5 total until race day. A year ago, I NEVER would have thought it possible. Just goes to show that taking risks can often lead to big rewards.... Or I hope it will come race day!

Wait, how do you get your car back? Does someone drive you?

I've thought about having my husband dropping me off somewhere then picking me up at some point 12 miles later...
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

I've thought about having my husband dropping me off somewhere then picking me up at some point 12 miles later...
    I have an extremely understanding wife, who is just getting into running, who brings me to my car, and a great friend who lets me park in front of their house. I can get anywhere for 12-20 miles this way depending on route, and if I want to loop a little once I get back to my town.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    2---3.11
    4---5.16

So funny- I have a migraine. I can't think at all. I forget words. talking is too fast, I don't understand. TV is impossible to follow. Like Parmesan.. I mean, it seems like it's odd. Its it a real word? DH offered to take me to the hospital. Nah, I'll take some meds, shower and nap. DD got mail and I can't tell u what it is. Ya know. The thing u get from the bank so u can buy stuff. The little thing. A card but not a game like a thing like Uhhh. Uh dun no? Haha! Funny. My poor brain thing. Idk what it's called.

10th-15th in Georgia.

8.27/50+

UPCOMING RACES

May 27- XTERRA Rock Dallas Trail Run. 5k.
    July 8- XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run, 5K.  Glen Rose,TX
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    May Running Totals (miles)
    5/1 – 5.16 easy
    5/2 – 6.67 easy
    5/3 – rest day
    5/4 – 8.08 easy

May total to date – 19.91

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Build base. 5/28, start training plan toward MVP Rochester Marathon.

Today's notes – After some warning twinges from various body parts, I took yesterday as a rest day. It was a day of beautiful running weather. I got the lawn mowed.

Today was club practice, in the rain. Fortunately, it was not raining as hard as the forecast led me to believe. Top of the white board, the first assingment was "Recovery: 6 to 9 miles at E." I interpreted that to include the 2 mile warm up, and ran 6 miles with a group of other runners. We started out slow, then I got talking to a younger runner and we ran a couple of the later miles close to my MP. The 6 miles averaged close to 8 minutes per mile, so I guess it was okay. The good news is, the quad didn't twinge today like it did on Tuesday. It gave me some warning grumbles on the warm up, but it was pretty quiet in the 6 mile run. There was an option to add 4 x 400 at T pace if you felt up to it. I didn't seriously consider it. Maybe if it hadn't been raining, that would have felt okay.

I'm dithering between a rest day and something fairly short tomorrow. If it rains, the rest day will probably win. Saturday I'm pacing 10/12/20/22 miles at an 8:00 pace. The exact distance depends on who shows up and how many miles they need. I think I'll be up to it, but that potential 20-22 miles Saturday is a reason not to get very ambitious tomorrow.

In other news, I registered for three more races today. Decided I definitely want another crack at MVP Rochester Marathon, to prove I can manage it better and complete the course. The other two are Rochester Runner of the Year races. I'd run Grace any way, but Karknocker is on the list only because it's part of the RROY series.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY)
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Rochester, NY)
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 I bought some compression capris when I was having Runner’s Knee, and they helped so much. I don't know if I would have made it through the marathon without KT Tape, knee sleeves, and compression capris.

@Elise4270 Hope your migraine goes away!!

@MNLittleFinn Your marathon is sooooo close! Yay!

@_nikkiwolf_ I'm so sorry your knee is bugging you so close to your race. Hoping for a cooperative knee on race day!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    This thread moves so fast sometimes, it's awesome. Loving all the first time race tips, especially re: early race restraint.

Welcome back @wishiwasarunner , congrats on finishing your most recent marathon! I'm sure the time off is well deserved!

Glad your back is (hopefully) back in the game @kristinegift! I am admittedly terrified of chiropractors, you're better than me!

Ran a beautiful and oddly warm 14.5 tonight. Realized my mint running shorts will not be making the cut for Red Deer because the weird seams started to chafe even post Body Glide and I don't want none of that mess on race day. Ordered my Guide 10's while I was out with my babies today, they'll get here just before RDM. Debating whether I'll run the marathon in my too neutral Kinvara 8 road shoes and risk rolling in when I hit pace or chance running it in the Guides and potentially trash my legs because of the difference in how the shoe corrects :/

May 1- Rest
    May 2- 14.2
    May 3- Rest
    May 4- 14.5

28.7/300km
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Treadmill again today... thought electrolytes were sorted out better, but used treadmill for caution. Turns out I'm doing better, but still not fully recovered. Taking more potassium for now. Slow run/walk 4 miles.

exercise.png
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,019 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    May goal: 50 miles

5/1/17: 4 miles
    5/3/17: 3.5 miles
    5/4/27: 3.1miles

10.6/50 miles

Thanks for all the first race tips everyone! This really is a great group. I ran 3.1miles (5k) tonight and plan to rest tomorrow. I may take the dogs out for a little walk, but nothing too strenuous. I hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    That would be great if you could get your husband to drop you off.
    That's one of the advantages of our local running group, we will co-ordinate and one of us will drop a vehicle at the far end of a one way run and one of the other runners will shuttle the dropped vehicle driver back to the start area.

@Elise4270 I hope you don't suffer from to many Migraines, The symptoms are so varied-painful for some. Get better girl.
    Speaking of get better - @kristinegift She's back with her re-aligned spine - look out shoes I see some punishment coming your way.
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    After some warning twinges from various body parts, I took yesterday as a rest day. It was a day of beautiful running weather. I got the lawn mowed. ///
    In other news, I registered for three more races today.
    The dangers of Rest Days = Registering for more events. :)

The dangers of travelling for work - You pack your Running Gear knowing that you need to make sure you don't become a Hotel Slug and fill some of the down time with a few runs. Which means I have hit the trails for 4 days in a row. I never do 4 days, should have taken today as a rest/cross training day. Today was definitely the definition of SSD - Short Slow Day, by the time I got to 0.5 km I knew that it was not my day.

In my previous runs I had poked my shoes down a few side trails that I want to explore and that's what the plan was for today. By the time I got 1km in I knew it was not to be as I had no energy and my pace avg at 7:21/km when my normal Long Slow Distance (LSD) pace should have been right around 6:10/km. Struggled through it and managed to get in 7.5 km. I was probably affected by the Heat Wave we are in 23.9C = 75F. Tomorrow night will be rest/cross training-swimming?

05/01 0 km – 160 km - 0 km – YTD 420.15
    05/01 11.5 km – 148.5 km - 11.5km – YTD 431.65
    05/02 5.5 km – 143.0 km - 17.0km – YTD 437.15
    05/03 10.0 km – 133.0 km - 27.0km – YTD 447.15
    05/04 7.5 km – 128.0 km - 34.50km – YTD 454.65 Edmonton Kinsmen - Emily Murphy - Hawrelak

exercise.png
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    May goal: wear sunblock

May 1: sat on my okole. All. Day. Long.
    May 2: 3.13
    May 3: 6.06
    May 4: 4.08

Total: 13.27

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png

upcoming races:
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)

HonuNui wrote: »
    May goal: wear sunblock

@HonuNui This is such a good goal and a very timely reminder for us Northern Hemisphere folks. I forget to wear sunblock for a majority of the summer and that's a habit I seriously need to break. Sun safety is important for us outdoorsy running folk!

Please excuse my maudlin guilt trip, but the photo below is probably one of the reasons my son died at age 39 of melanoma: this was in Arizona....in August....at 100+ degrees....and was followed by a severe sunburn.
    Wear your sunblock....