May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 I love compression gear! I have several pairs of compression tights for use after my longer runs, and it's amazing how quickly they seem to help out with recovery.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    5/2 - 4 mile riverfront run, avg pace 8:36/mi.
    5/4 - 6 mile downtown run, avg pace 8:41/mi.

After completing my 1st HM last month, I am looking for some good 5K's and 10K's this summer. @WhatMeRunning - what's a good race calendar for the KC area? I've been using the kcrunningcompany and runningintheusa, but I know of a couple of races that don't show up, so didn't know if there was a more comprehensive calendar.

I would like to finish up the fall with another HM and thinking either the Pilgrim Pacer or the Gobbler Grind and might try the Heartland 30K series in September.
    Generally you can find every 5k and higher distance race in the KC area (and beyond) between these 3 groups who provide timing for the events (one site you are already using).
    http://www.kcrunningcompany.com/events/
    http://www.racedaytimingsolutions.com/event-calendar.htm
    http://www.psychowyco.com/id95.html

Between those 3 and runningintheusa I find pretty much every event I have ever heard of. I do wonder what events might be missing though, and how I might find them. :smiley:

I already registered for Gobbler Grind and plan to register for Pilgrim Pacer. Gobbler Grind is on the racedaytimingsolutions site, and Pilgrim Pacer is on the Trail Nerds site. Pilgrim Pacer 2017 is tricky to find (at least last time I looked for it). They haven't updated all of the links so most take you to the 2016 event page. Here is the link to the 2017 Pilgrim Pacer event.
    http://www.psychowyco.com/pilgrimpacerrun/
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    5/1/17 = 3 mile run + 1 hour kettlebell workout
    5/2/17 = rest day
    5/3/17 = 6 mile run
    5/4/17 = 6 mile run

May Goal 15/125 miles
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a rest day. Hoping to run this evening. I'll miss my run tomorrow. Have to leave at 5am to take hubby to hospital to get his port. It's outpatient though so I don't know.... If he's totally feeling awesome maybe I can run tomorrow night if he's just resting or something :-D Definitely need to get to bed early tonight to get up at 4am tomorrow. Ugh!

@RespectTheKitty We've done the 60% short term disability thing in the past. Hang in there.

@katiejane83 Awesome track workout :)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 - glad your legs are showing some good signs of improvement. I wore some compression socks today during my run and felt like it really helped my calves too. Good luck with your fitness assessment. And, I hear you on your Stella helping with your yoga. LOL.

@kgirlhart have a great time with your 5k! My main mantra to myself is always don't start too fast. Other than that I try to have some fun, look around and cheer other people on (especially if it's an out and back - it's fun to see the lead runners and cheer for them, as obviously I'm not in that group). Good luck!

• springtimez
    springtimez Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    05/03-- 2 miles.
    Came back from a long vacation abroad on 30th April. Tired and sleepless because of the jet lag! Only that its the kid's jet lag that's keeping me up!
    Hoping to get in routine soon!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    May goal: wear sunblock

@HonuNui This is such a good goal and a very timely reminder for us Northern Hemisphere folks. I forget to wear sunblock for a majority of the summer and that's a habit I seriously need to break. Sun safety is important for us outdoorsy running folk!

kgirlhart wrote: »
    I felt pretty good about my run today. The temperature was nice but it was a little windy. I will be running in my first 5k on Saturday. I am excited, but also getting a little nervous. The weather is supposed to be really nice on Saturday. Any tips for a first time 5k? Things to do or things I should avoid?

@kgirlhart My only tips are: 1) Nothing new on race day... at least until after the race! No new shirt, hat, socks, food. Stick to what you're used to; even if something annoys you, at least it's a familiar annoyance and not a novel one! 2) HAVE FUN! Thank volunteers, give kids high fives, interact with the crowd of spectators as you come in to the finish (if you have the mental capacity to do so). This is something I always set as a goal on races. In a HM or a marathon, I have a goal to thank a volunteer once a mile, and that helps the miles fly by plus it gives you good karma!
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited May 2017
    Options
    GAH!!! :grimace: My Sport Tracks data is feeding my Down Week Crazies before my down week even begins!

So, my plan for the down week was to schedule runs that should equate to efforts that would leave my calculated fitness level relatively flat (maybe a minimal dip), while allowing my fatigue levels to drop. Seemed perfect at the time. Maintain my current fitness while allowing things to heal up and strengthen.

BUT...

Looking at the data from the last week, this week was exactly that. Relatively flat. My Fitness number went from 924 after my 12 miler to kick off the week to 926 after today's 4 miler to end the week. Almost as flat as should be. For reference, here is this +2 difference along with the entire 6 week series:
    Week 1 (30 mpw): +68
    Week 2 (30 mpw): +40
    Week 3 (30 mpw): + 21
    Week 4 (40 mpw): +63
    Week 5 (40 mpw): +60 (Garmin half marathon was this week, thus the relatively higher number)
    Week 6 (40 mpw): +2

Also, for reference, my fatigue level dropped 37 points this week, while in prior weeks fatigue went up each week (although at a lower rate than fitness went up). So with the combined flat fitness over the week and the reduced fatigue...this last week looks like a down week. :grimace:

Now...my body deserves down weeks before I introduce new stresses pushing my fitness higher. The thing is, looking at this, if I repeated my week 6 mileage I would finish the week flat again, or most likely even downwards, which is effectively the same as a down week. Which would be two back to back down weeks. I think I'm OK with this. I don't think I should increase mileage beginning this next week.

So now I am wondering if I should do the planned reduced mileage and take the dip in fitness level, or go with the original plan of leaving the fitness level relatively flat for this week, which means leaving this weeks mileage the same as last week?? And how much should I let these damn numbers and charts dictate my running plan???

I am so going to lose my *kitten* this week.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    GAH!!! :grimace: My Sport Tracks data is feeding my Down Week Crazies before my down week even begins!

So now I am wondering if I should do the planned reduced mileage and take the dip in fitness level, or go with the original plan of leaving the fitness level relatively flat and repeating the mileage? And how much shoudl I let these damn numbers and charts dictate my running plan???

are you not overthinking this too much??
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    iofred wrote: »

So now I am wondering if I should do the planned reduced mileage and take the dip in fitness level, or go with the original plan of leaving the fitness level relatively flat and repeating the mileage? And how much shoudl I let these damn numbers and charts dictate my running plan???

Very much so. :lol:

But...this data has been incredibly useful in building up to my current mileage without overdoing it.

Why am I still thinking about this??

I need to go do something else.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 5.1 miles. Fizzled a bit at the end of April, but good start to May.
    5/2 - 4.1 miles of track/speed work. Then quick upper body weights.
    5/3 - 5 miles. Nice, comfortable run.
    5/4 - Taking a rest day.

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    iofred wrote: »

Yes, he is. I would know, I do it too.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    May goal: wear sunblock

Now I have that song stuck in my head... it's an old song (around 2000?): Wear Sunscreen
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Same treadmill routine as yesterday, except with a forced (small) negative split on the second mile (and a shorter cool down, as I got interrupted). I could feel the difference in pace, but it was definitely doable. Supposed to have a rest day tomorrow, but considering delaying that by a day for another TM run tomorrow to see if I can increase either overall pace or running distance (by some nominal amount).

5/1: 2.0 (2.0/30)
    5/2: 2.25 TM (4.25/30)
    5/3: 2.75 TM (7/30)
    5/4: 2.5 TM (9.5/30)