May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning well, only you can guess how she'd react. But..... I mean come one... "free". Maybe you should just sign me up. B)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    MFPMRC works so much better on the workplace computer... Why have I not been on here more on works dime? Oh wait... *Boss walkes by*
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    5.5 miles on the treadmill today, did not feel like running in the rain today.

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 it's took late for me too especially since I need to be at a race at 6:30 tomorrow morning. Oh yeah that old age thing too.

It'll be interesting.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    It's a rest day.

My employer announced a few weeks ago about a Half Marathon they wanted to do with employees, including a training plan for anyone new to running or new to that distance. They offered discounts to the Garmin HM which prompted me to run it. Then I found out the target event was the San Francisco Half (1st half) and figured there was no chance in hell I was going to convince my wife to allow me to purchase travel, hotel, all that just to run a HM that far away knowing I would not take the family with due to how expensive that would quickly become.

Did I mention today is a rest day?

So today my employer sent more info. In it they said that they cover the race registration, one night hotel stay, and up to $300 airfare.

My wife is not home to discuss this change of details...

I am trying so hard not to sign up...

...must resist...

I would do it! That's practically a free race and races aren't cheap! Plus, I would think it would be quite an experience!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    It's a rest day.

@WhatMeRunning - If someone offered me a free night in a hotel in San Francisco, race entry, and $300 toward air fare the only thing that would keep me away from that half would be if it was a major conflict with some really important race in my schedule. I'm talking something like, too soon after Boston (no longer the case) or right on top of the USATF Masters 15K Championship. Or sandwiched between Oak Tree Half and Rochester Marathon.

But then, I don't have a wife to object. I only have to get my daughter to agree to look in on the cat while I'm gone.

I can relate to rest day ramblings. It was touch and go whether today would be a rest day or a very light running day. It rained, and the forecast was for rain all day and evening, so it became a rest day. I went and walked on the indoor track at the town's fitness center. They let you run, but it's a hard concrete surface that is unsuitable for running any significant distance, and there are no on-site showers available. I'd rather run in the rain.

It quit raining when I was walking. I could go for a run this afternoon or evening, but I'm thinking rest is more appropriate today. Tentative plan is to go watch a local race event called "Taco de Mile." It is a timed event, with prizes to the top male and female. I can best describe it as a sort of interval workout: 4 x (eat a taco, run a quarter mile). Not a format I want to participate in, but it might be amusing to watch.

When people ask, I tell them I think Taco de Mile and its New Years Day relative the Donut Mile are feeder programs (so to speak) for Fleet Feet's Ton of Fun weight loss program.

I think I would love to spectate that race! I wonder how much puking goes on. It's kind of like the beer mile.
  • Elise4270
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Ok @WhatMeRunning I have a solution.

Your​ wife is unavailable, so for the moment let's say I'll be a stand in. Kinda the way you do when the boss is out. I say "if you promise to travel safe, bring back goodies and some photo, go enjoy yourself. But in return I (your wife) get a girl's weekend or something of the such at a later date- that may or may not conflict with a race date, that you would have to accommodate". Now, where's our lawyer? @LoneWolfRunner

ETA Unless we can plan a family trip around and reep those savings, because I (your wife) would love to go to SF. Eh?
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    It's a rest day.

My employer announced a few weeks ago about a Half Marathon they wanted to do with employees, including a training plan for anyone new to running or new to that distance. They offered discounts to the Garmin HM which prompted me to run it. Then I found out the target event was the San Francisco Half (1st half) and figured there was no chance in hell I was going to convince my wife to allow me to purchase travel, hotel, all that just to run a HM that far away knowing I would not take the family with due to how expensive that would quickly become.

So today my employer sent more info. In it they said that they cover the race registration, one night hotel stay, and up to $300 airfare.

My wife is not home to discuss this change of details...

I am trying so hard not to sign up...

...must resist...

Oh man, I wish my employer did stuff like that! My single self would be jumping all over that, only have to worry about my own schedule :D
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    I have one more question about my first 5k tomorrow. The race info says that if you use headphones then you can only use one speaker. That's not a problem for me, I often only use one speaker when running. I'm curious though. Is it better to run with or without music in the race? I always listen to music when I run so that is what I am used to. Plus I always track my run on fitbit and I get voice cues to let me know how far I have gone and what my pace is and I usually find that motivating. But should I just not use that for the race? The race will be chip timed. I'm trying to decide if I would run slower or faster with no music. Will I be distracted by not having it, or would having it be a distraction? Obviously I am getting nervous since my mind won't let go of these types of little problems. So I'm curious to know what others do. Especially if you usually run with music and you do not use it at a race. Is that a problem, or does the adrenaline from the race keep you from missing the music?
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I signed up. :naughty:

I sent my wife a text saying that apparently I was going to SF on 7/22-7/23. I doubt she will complain...well except for the part about her not going. I'm going to hand her a big jar of peanut butter when she gets home since she's going to be so jelly.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart - I have been in races where emergency personnel are trying to cart an injured runner back to the start line but are stuck behind someone who can't hear them because they have headphones on. So my opinion is to be as aware of your surroundings as you can.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

I sent my wife a text saying that apparently I was going to SF on 7/22-7/23. I doubt she will complain...well except for the part about her not going. I'm going to hand her a big jar of peanut butter when she gets home since she's going to be so jelly.

If my employer offered what yours did, I would totally sign up, even though I've never run an HM yet. :smiley:
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options

If my employer offered what yours did, I would totally sign up, even though I've never run an HM yet. :smiley:

Heck, if I knew of an employer who offered such things I would possibly be switching employers.

My work did a fitness challenge to start the year, randomly assigned teams, and the bar was set so low that they had to change the rules after week one, to make the challenge longer than two weeks (because of me/my team- and that was still in the early stages of HM training so I wasn't running THAT much).... we still won, and I got a pair of socks out of the deal....

paying race fees and air fare and such??? Like that is some spectacular commitment to a wellness program.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning that sounds freaking amazing, what a cool place to work! Get the wife a nice Buff Bake peanut butter, she'll be alright ;)