May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic that's awesome! Great race!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    RE: Water on runs. I only carry something with me on long runs (over 10 miles). And I just carry a 32 oz bottle of Gatorade. I have been doing that for a number of years now, so I am used to carry a bottle that large in my hand while running.

When I started, I have been known to hide water bottles in bushes on a route that I pre-planned. My Saturday morning group also lays out aid in a styrofoam cooler. It had gotten stolen a couple of times so that has to be hidden pretty good.

RE: buying shoes. Like @WhatMeRunning said, go and get a gait analysis done at a specialty running store like Fleet Feet or the "Joes Running Store". Dicks, Academy, Athletes Feet, Foot Locker, etc DO NOT offer gait analysis. You will pay a bit of money on your first pair of shoes, but once you know your running gait and style and get a good idea on the type of shoes the different major brands offer, you can then find the shoes cheaper either online or at discount in other places.

I lucked out and found my first pair of running shes (ASICS Gel Keyano 20) at Burline Coat Factory. Full retail price was $180 and I got these for $45. Had I known at the time what kind of deal I was getting, I would have bought 3 or 4 pairs. But if you are going to invest a lot of money in shoes and you plan to enjoy this sport for a while, it is worth it to go to a running specialty store to get that gait analysis done. Shoes are very personal. Some people are neutral, some are overpronators, and some are supirnators. Some shoes help with heel strike or offer some other cushioning. Then you have the opposite thought on shoes which are minimal shoes. Then you have heel to toe drop. What do all of these things mean for you? Maybe a bunch of mumbo jumbo that shoe makers use to make you want to buy their shoe, or maybe something that will make a difference in making you a successful runner. The guy or gal in a specialty running should answer these questions and offer some suggestions for you to make a determination yourself after they give you a gait analysis. That's why the first pair may be expensive, but worth it. You are paying for the education on top of the shoe. After you get a better idea, you can shop more on your own in discount places online retail sites.

The money back guarentee that @WhatMeRunning mentioned is an important factor before you decide to slide your Visa card.

Also, while you are at it, get 2 or 3 pairs of running socks. Cotton socks will cause blisters and other foot problems.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart Congrats on your PR.

@MNLittleFinn I already congratulated you on your 20 miler in strava and wanted to repeat it here. That is huge. Nice pace too.

@ereck44 Great job on the HM and nice choice with the ABB music wise.

@midwesterner85 Congrats on your race.

@katharmonic Outstanding on your PR.

@MNLittleFinn - I always heard that you're not a real runner until you full on crap your shorts. :lol: I guess I'm still working on that. Came close a couple times, and have even had to dart off into the woods once. Maybe that should count.

Oh crap!!! You mean I am not a real runner yet? :wink:

• KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    WK 5.15.17 - 5.21.17 * Semi-Taper Week to save miles for weekend.

M - Rest
    T - 10 @ 9:50
    W - Rest
    T - 9.5 @ 9:50
    F - 2.7 @ 10:35
    S - 2.1 @ 10:30
    S - 26.2 m. Cleveland Marathon 4:55 Pacer
    Total - 50.5 Miles
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @KeepRunningFatboy It's awesome that you're a pacer. Great running.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning I became a real runner 100 feet from home. Not a proud moment...... Lol I know TMI
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,028 Member
    Options
    May goal: 50 miles

5/1/17: 4 miles
    5/3/17: 3.5 miles
    5/4/17: 3.1miles
    5/6/17: 3.1 miles
    5/7/17: 3.5 miles
    5/9/17: 4.1 miles
    5/10/17: 3.5 miles
    5/12/17: 2.5 miles
    5/14/17: 3.5 miles
    5/16/17: 3.8 miles
    5/18/17: 3.2 miles
    5/20/17: 3.1 miles
    5/21/17: 3.1 miles

44/50 miles

Kind of a sucky run today. I'm not really sure why. Maybe I was tired from yesterday. The weather was nice, but I just felt really slow. Plus I had some technical difficulties so that kind of distracted me. I had trouble with tracking my run, but luckily I ran a known route so I did know how far I ran. It annoys me when technology doesn't work the way it is supposed to. I guess they can't all be awesome runs. And I am almost to my May goal, so I did feel good afterward.

@katharmonic Congrats on the awesome PR!

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    2---3.11
    4---5.16
    6---6.62
    7---2.4 walk
    9---4.64
    10th-15th in Georgia- lots of walking and ghost tours.
    14---5.23 beach run
    16---4.22
    18---4.87
    20---5.42
    21---4.26

45.93/60

UPCOMING RACES

July 8- XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run, 5K.  Glen Rose,TX
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 1AG @MobyCarp!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,413 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at replacements for my Apple Watch (specific to running) that will provide HR zones as well as pace, cadence, and all the other run related stats we like to have. I considered a different watch just for running but would need one that will pair with my newer Polar HR strap. It occurred to me that an app may actually work too and be cheaper. I can get it with MMR premium and I am looking at Strava. Those of you who use Strava, can the free app connect to your HRM and does it give you all the information? What does the premium version offer over the free version and does anyone feel it is worth it? I don't need the live tracking that they seem to push it for...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it is the fact that I was up until 3am last night or the sausage I ate, but just wasn't feeling good. Still, I needed to make up some mileage after the short race. Not long into this, Garmin even gave me a -9 (ouch!). I seem to recall not feeling so hot the last time I ate this same kind of sausage. I can't bring myself to throw away food and I have several packs in the freezer, so I'm going to just be careful about not eating before running. And I'm not going to buy any more of that kind. Too bad, because it is really cheap.

Anyway, this is after 3.76 miles today:

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I have been looking at replacements for my Apple Watch (specific to running) that will provide HR zones as well as pace, cadence, and all the other run related stats we like to have. I considered a different watch just for running but would need one that will pair with my newer Polar HR strap. It occurred to me that an app may actually work too and be cheaper. I can get it with MMR premium and I am looking at Strava. Those of you who use Strava, can the free app connect to your HRM and does it give you all the information? What does the premium version offer over the free version and does anyone feel it is worth it? I don't need the live tracking that they seem to push it for...

When I was in between HRM's I uses Strava for cycling and a zypher HRM. I tried to use it not long ago and couldn't get it to work. Might need a charge tho.

But Strava says: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/218959288-Heart-Rate-Monitors-that-work-with-Strava?mobile_site=true

I can't speak to the premium. Others here can answer that. I have GC that give me all the metrics I need.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    May goal: wear sunblock

5/1: sat on my okole. All. Day. Long.
    5/2: 3.13
    5/3: 6.06
    5/4: 4.08
    5/5 rest
    5/6: 4.15
    5/7 3.56
    5/8 snorkel 3.5 hours
    5/9 4.58
    5/10 3.38
    5/11 rest
    5/12 3.25
    5/13 life
    5/14 6.40
    5/15 4.13
    5/16 3.30
    5/17 3.00
    5/18 rest
    5/19 3.50
    5/20 4.03
    5/21 4.05

Total: 60.60

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png

upcoming races:
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I have a tomtom runner watch, which was half the price of the garmin with equal functionality. The second and third generation models have HRM built in, although mine doesn't because it's only first gen. Now I have one, I can't imagine why anyone would pay full whack for a garmin! It works out pace, cadence, has all the settings for all the types of intervals you could ever want, changeable displays... well worth a look.

Just a little 5am run for me today. I forgot how nice morning runs are in the summer :)

May Running Challenge

1st - 3.55 miles
    2nd - 1.1 miles + Spin
    3rd - 6.19 miles
    6th - 3.1 miles
    8th - 1 mile + Spin
    9th - 3.66 miles + Yoga
    10th - 3.12 miles
    14th - 0.61 miles (WU) + 6.2 miles (race)
    16th - 3.32 miles + Yoga
    18th - 3.03 miles + Spin
    20th - 3.34 miles
    22nd - 3.11 miles

MTD - 41.33/60 miles

Upcoming Races
    25th June - Greenwich Park 10km
    22nd July - Richmond Riverside 10km
    15th October - Manchester HM
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @NikolaosKey and @katharmonic Bravo on your awesome PBs!!!

@MobyCarp Wow at your #1 AG!

@shanaber I have Strava Premium, though I don't use it with a HRM strap (just my Garmin which has a wrist HRM).

Premium gives you free McMillan training plans, for one thing, but I can't remember what else is different.

I loved the free version of Strava so much, I started paying for Premium early last year because I wanted to throw money at them.

Strava is my life. :smiley:
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    2/5 - 3.2
    4/5 - 3.2
    6/5 - 3.3
    7/5-3.3
    8/5 - 3.3
    9/5 - 3.2
    11/5 - 4.0
    13/5 - 4.0