What have you been learning lately?

Options

Replies

• _thisnameischosen_
    _thisnameischosen_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    That's it's ok and possible to forgive yourself.
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I need to be more grateful for my life.
  • angelxsss
    Options
    That I should be proud of myself for having a car, a job, and my own apartment in a major metro area at 24, instead of viewing myself as a failure.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    happimess1 wrote: »
    you really connect with others by showing your weakness, not your strengths

on her last day at work, one of my co-workers was crying her eyes out. I took it upon myself to cheer her up and we did not stop laughing for the next few hours.Later, I felt really good about myself and thought she'd always remembers me and we'd msg back and forth. Well i never heard from her again. I feel like instead of being funny, if only i had shared an experience where i experienced loss and had to say goodbye to someone dear to me, we would have connected and still be friends. 'Vulnerability is the essence of connection and connection is the essence of existence' - Leo Christopher

Don't be so sure. A close friend of mine lost her mother to cancer when we were 13. When I got there that night everyone was in the living room with a preacher and crying. So her and I went to her room and just goofed off and laughed a ton for hours over stories from school and what not.

She still tells people she wouldn't have made it through that experience without having that distraction.

Humor is pretty much the only way I can relate to people. And yes I realize the kind-of inner irony of this post; sharing a similar experience with you instead of humor but you get it :lol:
    I bet you helped a lot more than you realize

I3 is too young to process such a loss so distraction is a better approach imo. Would you have gone with humour if you were both 33 year olds?

Most likely. I'm 28 now and humor is the only way I connect with people. Not saying it's the best approach but it's what I got.

I can relate to this way too much probably.
  • loveliveswithin
    loveliveswithin Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    A soul too deep to explore, in fear they stayed swimming on the shallow side.
  • loveliveswithin
    loveliveswithin Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    When we speak, we impart a small or large piece of ourselves into whom we speak. Speak deep, impart much. Speak shallow, impart less.
  • BrendanMcGroarty
    BrendanMcGroarty Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I teach high school philosophy and theology. I have spent the summer learning in an amateur way, quantum physics, general relativity, string theory, and something new called holography because the kids are interested in this. And it is fascinating and very accessible. I have also been reading Quine and some Putnam, and thinking about the relationship between philosophy, theology, and science. And trying to learn Italian while driving.
  • angelxsss
    Options
    That I need to be happy with where I'm at, and I need to adjust my personal expectations accordingly, or else I'll drive myself crazy.
  • LifeIs420
    LifeIs420 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    how to live with lower back pains
  • Unavita11
    Unavita11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    That this is my body, and I have to live with it.
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    Life starts hurting just a little bit less once you tell life to *kitten* off and find the little reasons to smile. Not the ones that give you temporary happiness, but the ones that you can go to them time and time again and know that the feeling of happiness and fullness never change.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's worth it to take the extra time to make sure you're understood rather than just assuming it and possibly doing damage.
  • angelxsss
    Options
    Whatever's going to happen will happen whether I like it or not, so I need to be proactive about it and figure out how to remedy the situation
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    sw33tp3a1 wrote: »
    Life starts hurting just a little bit less once you tell life to *kitten* off and find the little reasons to smile. Not the ones that give you temporary happiness, but the ones that you can go to them time and time again and know that the feeling of happiness and fullness never change.

:heart: