Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think obese/overweight people should pay more for health insurance?

Options

Replies

• Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    _emma_78 wrote: »
    My mom and I were discussing this today and I thought it would be a great topic for this forum, especially with all the politics surrounding health care these days.

So do you think people who are overweight and/or obese should have to pay more?

Do you think this would be a deterrent to gaining weight for people that are not in this category?

Should people with medications/medical conditions that cause weight gain be exempt?

I know that with obamacare/ACA there are wellness programs available, do you think these are all that helpful if you've been to one?

I think that instead of charging the person more, they should increase the costs of the foods which lead to obesity .. for example .. a bar of chocolate should cost a lot more and crisps and fizzy drinks etc, this would then hopefully make people cut down purely because it’s getting too expensive. They should make health foods cheaper to also encourage people to buy them

My weight is normal. Why should I pay more for my chocolate just because some other people weigh more?

I didn't get overweight because of chocolate and soda. I was overweight because I ate too much of the foods I cooked at home, everyday foods like rice, potatoes, pasta, and vegetables. Someone who wants to eat more than their body can use is going to do it on a wide variety of foods.

Yeah I see your point there, my weight is normal as well but I guess for me, if chocolate was more expensive I would be less inclined to buy some at the shop so it would end up benefiting me in the long run.
  • Mandylou19912014
    Options

There are lots of specific foods that can lead to obesity, like full fat fizzy drinks, any chocolate bar, cake, full fat ice creams, most takeaways etc the list could go on. If you increase the prices of these items it will make people eat them in moderation because they just won’t be able to afford it

I eat all of those foods regularly and I'm at the lower end of the BMI scale. I have been both overweight and underweight while including foods like that in my diet. It's the quantity that matters, not the foods themselves.

Yes this is true, it’s purely down to the amount eaten, so if the prices are higher in foods that are high in sugar and saturated fat etc then it could potentially force those who eat larger amounts of it to cut back
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Yes. Obesity is costing the health care system millions.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

Ah ok that makes sense, I guess the problem then is purely down to the person who chooses to eat an excessive ̶l̶a̶r̶g̶e̶/̶r̶e̶g̶u̶l̶a̶r̶ amount of u̶n̶h̶e̶a̶l̶t̶h̶y̶ ̶ food.

Edited for truth.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Yeah I see your point there, my weight is normal as well but I guess for me, if chocolate was more expensive I would be less inclined to buy some at the shop so it would end up benefiting me in the long run.

If chocolate was more expensive, i'd be less inclined to buy some, and just have (too) low levels of dietary fat on many days. The dose matters, and a lot of 'bad' foods have their positive attributes as well.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    My mom and I were discussing this today and I thought it would be a great topic for this forum, especially with all the politics surrounding health care these days.

Do you think this would be a deterrent to gaining weight for people that are not in this category?

Should people with medications/medical conditions that cause weight gain be exempt?

I know that with obamacare/ACA there are wellness programs available, do you think these are all that helpful if you've been to one?

I think that instead of charging the person more, they should increase the costs of the foods which lead to obesity .. for example .. a bar of chocolate should cost a lot more and crisps and fizzy drinks etc, this would then hopefully make people cut down purely because it’s getting too expensive. They should make health foods cheaper to also encourage people to buy them

The big problem with this is that there are no specific foods that lead to obesity - it is overall excess consumption that leads to obesity... and there is a 100 page thread someplace on here about trying to tax junk food out of existence - you should do a search for it.

There are lots of specific foods that can lead to obesity, like full fat fizzy drinks, any chocolate bar, cake, full fat ice creams, most takeaways etc the list could go on. If you increase the prices of these items it will make people eat them in moderation because they just won’t be able to afford it

No there are not - any person on this planet can eat any or all of the foods that you mention and as long as they maintain a calorie deficit they will lose weight. The ONLY thing that causes obesity is excess consumption of calories - doesn't matter if those calories come from 'healthy' foods or from 'junk' food. There are numerous examples on these boards of people who got fat from eating 'healthy' foods.

Ah ok that makes sense, I guess the problem then is purely down to the person who chooses to eat a large/regular amount of unhealthy food.

It's not the food that is unhealthy, it's the dose. A serving of chocolate is fine for health. Eating sweet potatoes or broccoli in excess is bad for my health.

Food can be unhealthy though, in moderation it’s ok for some people but for example a donut is unhealthy, there is no nutritional value in it what so ever .. but yes I agree that it’s all about how much of certain foods you eat that make it become more unhealthy

Donuts have nutritional value. The donuts I eat contain carbohydrates, fat, and protein, macronutrients my body can use for energy. They're typically made with enriched flour, which is going to provide vitamins and minerals, like iron and some B vitamins.

• janejellyroll
    Options

My weight is normal. Why should I pay more for my chocolate just because some other people weigh more?

I didn't get overweight because of chocolate and soda. I was overweight because I ate too much of the foods I cooked at home, everyday foods like rice, potatoes, pasta, and vegetables. Someone who wants to eat more than their body can use is going to do it on a wide variety of foods.

Is the argument that we should implement this tax just because it would benefit you personally?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Is the argument that we should implement this tax just because it would benefit you personally?

Isn't that how most tax policies are passed?

Well not so much that in benefits you, but that the tax itself doesn't impact you?

• Mandylou19912014
    Options

No, this “debate” not argument is about should overweight people should have to pay more and my view is that maybe junk food and sugary products should go up in price so they are less likely to be binged upon
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

No, this “debate” not argument is about should overweight people should have to pay more and my view is that maybe junk food and sugary products should go up in price so they are less likely to be binged upon

Who decides what food is junk and what food is sugary? Please provide criteria or a list? Preferably an exhaustive/complete one. Make sure that it clearly defines what foods are good and which ones are bad.

Ideally it should ensure that apple juice and apple sauce aren't taxed but Dark Chocolate is. :wink:

It should also have a means to distinguish between "good" and "bad" fruit snacks.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Who decides what food is junk and what food is sugary?

Our betters...obviously.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options

Only if we charge more for things that reduce calorie output, like computers, cars, and cell phones. Technology is a major contributor to obesity.

Of course taxing technology is as silly as taxing foods perceived as fattening. People will simply pay more for the things they want. There are better ways to modify behavior besides stealing more money from citizens, such as ad campaigns, school programs, and asking food makers to shrink portion sizes (which they'll gladly do). :+1:
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Isn't that how most tax policies are passed?

Well not so much that in benefits you, but that the tax itself doesn't impact you?

Good point!