Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think obese/overweight people should pay more for health insurance?

Options

Replies

• Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    _emma_78 wrote: »
    My mom and I were discussing this today and I thought it would be a great topic for this forum, especially with all the politics surrounding health care these days.

So do you think people who are overweight and/or obese should have to pay more?

Do you think this would be a deterrent to gaining weight for people that are not in this category?

Should people with medications/medical conditions that cause weight gain be exempt?

I know that with obamacare/ACA there are wellness programs available, do you think these are all that helpful if you've been to one?

I think that instead of charging the person more, they should increase the costs of the foods which lead to obesity .. for example .. a bar of chocolate should cost a lot more and crisps and fizzy drinks etc, this would then hopefully make people cut down purely because it’s getting too expensive. They should make health foods cheaper to also encourage people to buy them

My weight is normal. Why should I pay more for my chocolate just because some other people weigh more?

I didn't get overweight because of chocolate and soda. I was overweight because I ate too much of the foods I cooked at home, everyday foods like rice, potatoes, pasta, and vegetables. Someone who wants to eat more than their body can use is going to do it on a wide variety of foods.

Yeah I see your point there, my weight is normal as well but I guess for me, if chocolate was more expensive I would be less inclined to buy some at the shop so it would end up benefiting me in the long run.

Is the argument that we should implement this tax just because it would benefit you personally?

No, this “debate” not argument is about should overweight people should have to pay more and my view is that maybe junk food and sugary products should go up in price so they are less likely to be binged upon

Who decides what food is junk and what food is sugary?

Our betters...obviously.

Or the food itself ....

Food is inanimate, it's incapable of making that decision. Humans would have to make the decisions.

This is going away from the point I’m making. All I’m saying is junk food should be more expensive so people will learn to eat in moderation :)

Yes, but to make that point, you have to explain who will decide what "junk food" is. Is it you? Because you're arguing that people should be paying more for apples because they have sugar in them.

The government? The same people who decided to impose a sugar tax in the UK ok fizzy drinks with added sugar. I don’t think people should be paying more for apples that was someone’s random example .. obviously fruit contains sugar but it’s fructose and it’s not the same sugar you would find in a bar of chocolate
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    My mom and I were discussing this today and I thought it would be a great topic for this forum, especially with all the politics surrounding health care these days.

Do you think this would be a deterrent to gaining weight for people that are not in this category?

Should people with medications/medical conditions that cause weight gain be exempt?

I know that with obamacare/ACA there are wellness programs available, do you think these are all that helpful if you've been to one?

I think that instead of charging the person more, they should increase the costs of the foods which lead to obesity .. for example .. a bar of chocolate should cost a lot more and crisps and fizzy drinks etc, this would then hopefully make people cut down purely because it’s getting too expensive. They should make health foods cheaper to also encourage people to buy them

My weight is normal. Why should I pay more for my chocolate just because some other people weigh more?

I didn't get overweight because of chocolate and soda. I was overweight because I ate too much of the foods I cooked at home, everyday foods like rice, potatoes, pasta, and vegetables. Someone who wants to eat more than their body can use is going to do it on a wide variety of foods.

Yeah I see your point there, my weight is normal as well but I guess for me, if chocolate was more expensive I would be less inclined to buy some at the shop so it would end up benefiting me in the long run.

Is the argument that we should implement this tax just because it would benefit you personally?

No, this “debate” not argument is about should overweight people should have to pay more and my view is that maybe junk food and sugary products should go up in price so they are less likely to be binged upon

Our betters...obviously.

Or the food itself ....

You're speaking subjectively. This isn't very effective when attempting to persuade others. If you believe so strongly then setup a "swear jar" and donate $1 for every strawberry, donut, etc. Just leave the rest of the world alone.

There is already sugar tax being implemented in the UK on all fizzy drinks with added sugar so it’s kind of already happening .. if it was such a bad idea then it wouldn’t have even been considered

Not true - the UK is following the example of several cities in the US that have tried the same thing - NYC, Chicago, Philly, etc. What all of those cities found was that the tax did not slow consumption, it simply moved the purchase of said products out of the city to an area where the tax was not in effect.
  • Mandylou19912014
    Options

Our betters...obviously.

Or the food itself ....

You're speaking subjectively. This isn't very effective when attempting to persuade others. If you believe so strongly then setup a "swear jar" and donate $1 for every strawberry, donut, etc. Just leave the rest of the world alone.

There is already sugar tax being implemented in the UK on all fizzy drinks with added sugar so it’s kind of already happening .. if it was such a bad idea then it wouldn’t have even been considered

I can think of all sorts of laws that were bad ideas. Arguing that an idea can't be bad because some government somewhere adopted it is absolutely absurd.

Any law that is imposed will have its pros and cons and people who are for and against .. I just so happen to be for it
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Our betters...obviously.

Or the food itself ....

Food is inanimate, it's incapable of making that decision. Humans would have to make the decisions.

This is going away from the point I’m making. All I’m saying is junk food should be more expensive so people will learn to eat in moderation :)

Yes, but to make that point, you have to explain who will decide what "junk food" is. Is it you? Because you're arguing that people should be paying more for apples because they have sugar in them.

The government? The same people who decided to impose a sugar tax in the UK ok fizzy drinks with added sugar. I don’t think people should be paying more for apples that was someone’s random example .. obviously fruit contains sugar but it’s fructose and it’s not the same sugar you would find in a bar of chocolate

So if someone made a chocolate bar with fructose, they'd evade the tax?

I see a burgeoning market being created for inventive candy cooks.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Our betters...obviously.

Or the food itself ....

Perhaps the root issue is the point you're making is not as well developed?

What you seem to be suggesting is a tax on food that tastes good.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Our betters...obviously.

Or the food itself ....

Governments haven't implemented bad ideas?

*Looks at news for evidence...
  • Mandylou19912014
    Options

Our betters...obviously.

Or the food itself ....

That’s not at all what I’m saying. Fruit tastes good, salad tastes good etc there’s lots of healthy food that tastes good. I’m referring to foods that are high in saturated fat and sugar (excluding fruit)
  • Mandylou19912014
    Options

Or maybe we just charge overweight people more for insurance so we don't put the costs of CHOICES on those who don't make those choices.

Rate insurance for risk, not feel good social policy.

As I said before, the costs should be borne ONLY by those who make poor choices. Since one can become obese on carrots and rice just as they can on Big Macs and Donuts, the answer is to have the costs of insurance to reflect the higher risk presented by the insured.

The last thing we should do is to pass on the costs of their higher risk to a 3rd party who had no say in the insured's choices.

Yeah I can definitely see your point there, I guess it’s harsher to charge people who don’t abuse food for the mistakes of those who do?
  • stanmann571
    Options

Our betters...obviously.

Or the food itself ....

That’s not at all what I’m saying. Fruit tastes good, salad tastes good etc there’s lots of healthy food that tastes good. I’m referring to foods that are high in saturated fat and sugar (excluding fruit)

When you say and is that an inclusive or exclusive and?

IOW?

Jolly ranchers are a "fat free food"

Bacon has no sugar

Donuts have fat and sugar.

So are jolly ranchers included in your tax list or excluded?

Ditto for bacon, and Butter, and Avocados?

You don't have a well developed point, and yet you persist in pushing forward without clarifying or developing your point.
  • Mandylou19912014
    Options

Our betters...obviously.

Or the food itself ....

Haha oh god, I don’t know if you can even do that? But no I’m just speaking generally.. I guess it wouldn’t work due to how in-depth food is
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Our betters...obviously.

Or the food itself ....

Well, you're free to hold the position, but given how political nutritional guidelines are in the US, I don't want people working for the government to use tax rates to discourage me from randomly eating foods I enjoy, especially since I don't have excess weight.

You argued that apple juice and apple sauce should have less sugar. Isn't that fructose too? Does fructose somehow not get stored as fat on the body if one eats too much?

For that matter, what's wrong with the sugar in a bar of chocolate?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Our betters...obviously.

Or the food itself ....

I can think of all sorts of laws that were bad ideas. Arguing that an idea can't be bad because some government somewhere adopted it is absolutely absurd.

Any law that is imposed will have its pros and cons and people who are for and against .. I just so happen to be for it

I understand you're for it. I just don't think "If it's a bad idea, the government wouldn't consider it" is a convincing argument. History shows us that governments will consider and implement all kinds of terrible, awful ideas.
  • Mandylou19912014
    Options

Our betters...obviously.

Or the food itself ....

Well, you're free to hold the position, but given how political nutritional guidelines are in the US, I don't want people working for the government to use tax rates to discourage me from randomly eating foods I enjoy, especially since I don't have excess weight.

You argued that apple juice and apple sauce should have less sugar. Isn't that fructose too? Does fructose somehow not get stored as fat on the body if one eats too much?

I don’t care about apple juice or apple sauce someone else brought that one up, fructose May or may not make you fat if eaten in large quantities but it’s natural stuff
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Our betters...obviously.

Or the food itself ....

I don’t care about apple juice or apple sauce someone else brought that one up, fructose May or may not make you fat if eaten in large quantities but it’s natural stuff

If I can get fat from "natural stuff," (whatever you mean by that), then why is "natural stuff" excluded from the tax?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Our betters...obviously.

Or the food itself ....

Haha oh god, I don’t know if you can even do that? But no I’m just speaking generally.. I guess it wouldn’t work due to how in-depth food is

Fructose is just a type of sugar. Yes, it's found in fruit. But it can be used to make anything sweet -- candy, drinks, cakes, etc.

• stanmann571
    Options

Our betters...obviously.

Or the food itself ....

If I can get fat from "natural stuff," (whatever you mean by that), then why is "natural stuff" excluded from the tax?

Trail mix made from bacon bits and banana chips :) yummy. Sorry Jane.

• janejellyroll
    Options

Our betters...obviously.

Or the food itself ....

Trail mix made from bacon bits and banana chips :) yummy. Sorry Jane.

I honestly can't believe there isn't a trail mix with bacon already! It seems like it would be very popular.

(There probably is and I just haven't seen it).