30 Day Low Carb (Keto) Weight loss Challenge - Start Monday May 8

Options

Replies

• ssl0905
    ssl0905 Posts: 57 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm having trouble forming an appetite. I strated feeling this way yesterday. I'm feeling the symptoms of the keto flu..not fun
  • CaroMdB
    CaroMdB Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, can I join in or is it too late?
  • Cathietc
    Cathietc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thursday Day 4 complete
    Total carbs : 22
    Net Carbs : 7
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Fabulous50 wrote: »

I found a great Margarita mix .... Freshies low carb margaritas... 5 cal/ 2carbs per 4oz. The trick is keeping it at only one! LOL!

I need to find find of that! Margaritas are one of my big weaknesses! Thanks for the tip :smiley:
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    ssl0905 wrote: »
    I'm having trouble forming an appetite. I strated feeling this way yesterday. I'm feeling the symptoms of the keto flu..not fun

Make sure you are keeping your sodium up (you need higher than average sodium while on this the type of diet to help you retain water to prevent dehydration as well as helping maintain electrolytes) try drinking broth, having some 0 cal vitamin water or really salting your food.

Also, consider taking a potassium and magnesium supplement and/or adjusting your diet to include more potassium and magnesium (dark leafy greens, avocado, yogurt, some kinds of fish, dark chocolate, some types of nuts).

I really suggest that everyone in this challenge check out the low carb group. There is so much good info on avoiding keto flu, keeping carbs low, recipes, etc.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • ssl0905
    Options
    ssl0905 wrote: »

Make sure you are keeping your sodium up (you need higher than average sodium while on this the type of diet to help you retain water to prevent dehydration as well as helping maintain electrolytes) try drinking broth, having some 0 cal vitamin water or really salting your food.

Also, consider taking a potassium and magnesium supplement and/or adjusting your diet to include more potassium and magnesium (dark leafy greens, avocado, yogurt, some kinds of fish, dark chocolate, some types of nuts).

I really suggest that everyone in this challenge check out the low carb group. There is so much good info on avoiding keto flu, keeping carbs low, recipes, etc.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the group.
  • ssl0905
    Options
    Day 4
    Total=5
  • littlecrunchy190
    littlecrunchy190 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Aikar wrote: »

I'm not going to join this challenge since I wouldnt post carbs each day (why ask people to do that when the diary has the record?) Status updates every so often 'im on track!' would be nicer.

Thanks for the thoughts and specially the links.

While checking in every now and then might be what you feel is best for you, clearly enough of us joined this challenge and are thankful to have a place to post our numbers daily and talk about what we are dealing with. Studies show that group support makes a difference in weight loss. The fact is, we are not all stalking each others diaries, we are here to chat and support, share, and be accountable. It is actually a really fantastic thing!
  • palsky
    palsky Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hold the phone peeps. I'm such a dill pickle I stopped having chia seeds coz my carbs where too high...net carbs you have to subtract fibre. Hell yeah chia seeds are back *kitten*.
  • littlecrunchy190
    littlecrunchy190 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    So I was at just 700 calories for the day and your voices told me to eat something more! So I went with sun flower seeds!

Total Carbs: 25
    Net: 15
    Cals: 1033

Will be looking to add avocado tomorrow and hunt down some yogurt I can actually eat! Also, I need chocolate. LOL Tomorrow is hugely busy but also shopping day so I can try some other things. Weekend is so so busy to, not much time to cook for myself. So excited about doing a big ham for mothers day as I can munch on that for days!
  • palsky
    Options
    Anyone else not hungry for like 6 hours after a Keto meal. ?????
  • lilysillycat
    lilysillycat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    5/11

total carbs 22. mostly from vegs.
  • palsky
    Options
    5/11

total carbs 22. mostly from vegs.

Nice work you. NET CARBS IS EVERYTHING. Subtract your fibre count from total carbs and bingo you have your net total. I'm still learning lots about the Keto lifestyle.
  • palsky
    Options
    Total carbs. = 28
    NET CARBS = 18g feeling groovy.
    Calories 1140
    Check out the Keto king on YouTube for really great recipes.
  • Balaga8611
    Balaga8611 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    OMG! I totally fell off the wagon. A good friend of mine just passed away. I've been at the hospital since Wednesday night with her and her family. Ate nothing but carbs! HUGE weight gain, I'm sure it is mostly water, but I'm getting back on track. Starting right now!
  • sondranray
    sondranray Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If it isn't too late, I would like to join. I want to start with 10 pounds and under 20 grams of carbs. Thanks!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Aikar wrote: »
    Meat and green veggies. Yogurt is special and not ALL of the carbs count. See: http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/yogurt.html

The thing is that I am mostly eating meat and green veg. Green veg are mostly what are pushing me over. But thanks for the information about yogurt -- will check that out -- and I will check out your diary. I've peeked at ketogains, but will read the article you linked, that looks relevant to my current concerns, yeah.
    I started 1 month ago from today, and hit 20lb lost :)

Congrats!
    If you are feeling bad and not doing <= 25G carbs, then your likely bouncing around the line of keto and your body's confused on which to use, is why your sick. So id recommend either do keto level low carb, or low carb but higher numbers of carbs (50-100) to avoid the flu.

I'm fortunate enough that I'm NOT feeling bad and haven't at all other than some sluggishness on my running (or when trying to run up stairs in my daily life) that is going away after a week or so. I think this is easier for me since I'm dropping down from around 100 g rather than from more carbs, but I just don't think I can realistically hit below 50 without cutting foods I want in my diet, unless I see a real benefit. I want to at least try ketosis, but what I'm reading seems to say that where I am is likely okay for that so long as I'm active. (More research or maybe ketostix, I dunno). ;-)

Thanks for the advice!

Carbs yesterday were up at 54 g, 38 g net.

The low carb group linked above is a great source of information and help from people who have been doing this for a while, and has a broader definition of low carb, in case anyone is interested in that too. It also has a daily accountability thread and a chat thread.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Balaga8611 wrote: »
    OMG! I totally fell off the wagon. A good friend of mine just passed away. I've been at the hospital since Wednesday night with her and her family. Ate nothing but carbs! HUGE weight gain, I'm sure it is mostly water, but I'm getting back on track. Starting right now!

So sorry about your friend, that's awful.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was pretty good... 34 Total and 31 net.

Today might be a bit of a challenge since I am going to be crazy busy and I will need to find some sort of low carb dinner to eat on the go tonight. Any thoughts on a good dinner that is low carb and can be eaten while driving???
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    How do people get such low numbers? I was thinking of joining, but just vegetables and nuts (and yeah, a little dairy, but plain full fat yogurt and cottage cheese) seems to kick me into the 50s every day. I don't see below 50 total as realistic for me, although I am consistently in the 30s net.

Are you eating way low cal? I'm at 1500.

(I'm hoping this will be enough for ketosis since I run, but may have to break down and test somehow since I'm curious about what keto feels like.)

I use the chart on these page as an easy guide as to what veggies to eat... https://www.ruled.me/best-low-carb-vegetables-ketogenic-diet/