GAME OF THRONES

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Dany is badass, Tyrion is at the same level but Dany wins for me!

Also just because a character dies doesn't mean we won't see them again! **Waits impatiently for episode 1 or 2 of next season**
    And if they had followed the books more closely, you already would have. ;-)

Oh, and I wanted to say I'm not sure Dany is the "fire" in "ice and fire." I haven't concluded that yet, but I think it may also refer to Rhaegar (sp?) and Lyanna.

Rhaegar and Lyanna are both dead, so if GRR was writing a trilogy about them he started it about 25 years too late. Or you could mean that "ice and fire" are one person, which is something I hadn't considered and is immensely interesting. Of course it almost guarantees that Dany has to die for the story to progress well :laugh:
    Ah, but their story is really the beginning of the current story. No R&L, no Robert's Rebellion.

Probably, though, "Ice and Fire" refers to many elements and not just two specific people and no one else. I mean, they kept talking about Ygritte being touched by fire and she's with John Snow (ice). And then of course, there's the theory that Jon is R&L's son, so he would be the epitome of ice and fire.

Oh, and also there's R'Hllor (sp again???) and the Other god ...
  • rml_16
    Options
    I am still wondering why Tyrion didn't consecrate his marriage vows with Sansa....When else does a dwarf get young booty without paying?
    Because he knew she didn't want to do it, he promised to protect her (even before the marriage) and he's a good man.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I am still wondering why Tyrion didn't consecrate his marriage vows with Sansa....When else does a dwarf get young booty without paying?

Also, GRR will not kill off Tyrion as he is the only character with real depth still left alive.

But GRR Martin says it all the time, as soon as you love a character, it's time to kill them off lol
  • afletch310
    afletch310 Posts: 22
    Options
    I loved the show and cant wait for the next season. I had intended to read the books before the series started as my ex at the time had them all but then life got in the way and I never got round to it so I started reading them recently and and am halfway through the second one at the moment. Determined to finished them before the next season starts!
  • judgestacy
    judgestacy Posts: 32
    Options
    I LOVE this conversation! I read the series (as far as was published at the time) years ago and was pumped that HBO is doing a pretty good job with it (thank the gods for violence and nudity!) I refused to read any further a few years ago because good ole George took his sweet time and I didn't wanna be stuck waiting....and waiting for the next book. So, NOW, I"m reading Feast and have Dances ready to go.

I personally stood up from my couch and clapped at the Red Wedding episode (the same way I did when I read it) because it killed off some of the most annoying characters to me and because HBO did a good job with it. AND because I took some sick pleasure in hearing all the horrified responses of all the people who hadn't read the books and were shocked.

Tyrion....best character hands down! Dany incurs my ongoing respect and awe and makes my inner lesbian purr. I also love Arya and Brienne and Sam Tarly. And villian or not, I've always loved Jaime Lannister.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I think the Hodor character is developing nicely!
    I kind of have a thing for the baddies. I like the Hound. I think there's a lot going on there. He's interesting to watch. I also admit I have kind of a thing for Daddy Lannister. He's such a badass. I love the way he can cut people with just a single look.
  • littlelawson83
    Options
    Yep, totally OBSESSED. Not read the books though, need to do that!

The red wedding... too much!

Have a lot of love for Jon Snow *sigh*

Fave character: Tyrion (obvs), Jon Snow (so brooding), and Arya (love her!).

But tbh I love them all.

Cannot wait for the next series!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Also just because a character dies doesn't mean we won't see them again! **Waits impatiently for episode 1 or 2 of next season**

Oh, and I wanted to say I'm not sure Dany is the "fire" in "ice and fire." I haven't concluded that yet, but I think it may also refer to Rhaegar (sp?) and Lyanna.

Rhaegar and Lyanna are both dead, so if GRR was writing a trilogy about them he started it about 25 years too late. Or you could mean that "ice and fire" are one person, which is something I hadn't considered and is immensely interesting. Of course it almost guarantees that Dany has to die for the story to progress well :laugh:
    Ah, but their story is really the beginning of the current story. No R&L, no Robert's Rebellion.

Probably, though, "Ice and Fire" refers to many elements and not just two specific people and no one else. I mean, they kept talking about Ygritte being touched by fire and she's with John Snow (ice). And then of course, there's the theory that Jon is R&L's son, so he would be the epitome of ice and fire.

Ice and fire are clearly overarching themes (dragons, wights, Valyria, beyond the wall, and everything in between) but I think the endgame here is going to come to a head in either a clash of ice and fire, or a joining of the two. I was initially thinking it was going to have to be either Jon vs Dany (ice vs fire) or Jon + Dany (ice with fire). But now that I'm thinking about it, it could be just Jon vs both ice and fire (the others and Dany) containing the power of both (from Rhaegar and Lyanna).
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I love Tyrion, Arya Stark and John Snow is a littly hotty! :blushing:
  • rml_16
    Options
    Ice and fire are clearly overarching themes (dragons, wights, Valyria, beyond the wall, and everything in between) but I think the endgame here is going to come to a head in either a clash of ice and fire, or a joining of the two. I was initially thinking it was going to have to be either Jon vs Dany (ice vs fire) or Jon + Dany (ice with fire). But now that I'm thinking about it, it could be just Jon vs both ice and fire (the others and Dany) containing the power of both (from Rhaegar and Lyanna).

See and this is why I love this series. It's brilliant.

Someone in the GOT group said something about how she usually reads "more highbrow" stuff and this is just "entertainment for the masses." Please!

This stuff is as good as anything Shakespeare ever did. It would match up to any classic and probably come out ahead of many. The characters are complex and interesting, their motives deep. He explores human nature, character development -- you name it, he does it and he does it well.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options

There are a lot of conspiracy theories

{POSSIBLE SPOLIER - HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED}

Some people say that Jon Snow is the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen, and that he may be the brother of Daenerys Targaryen.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jon_Snow/Theories
  • rml_16
    Options
    Some people say that Jon Snow is the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen, and that he may be the brother of Daenerys Targaryen.

:-) I already said that in what you quoted.

However, that would make her his aunt, not his sister.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this conversation! I read the series (as far as was published at the time) years ago and was pumped that HBO is doing a pretty good job with it (thank the gods for violence and nudity!) I refused to read any further a few years ago because good ole George took his sweet time and I didn't wanna be stuck waiting....and waiting for the next book. So, NOW, I"m reading Feast and have Dances ready to go.

I personally stood up from my couch and clapped at the Red Wedding episode (the same way I did when I read it) because it killed off some of the most annoying characters to me and because HBO did a good job with it. AND because I took some sick pleasure in hearing all the horrified responses of all the people who hadn't read the books and were shocked.

Tyrion....best character hands down! Dany incurs my ongoing respect and awe and makes my inner lesbian purr. I also love Arya and Brienne and Sam Tarly. And villian or not, I've always loved Jaime Lannister.

I was actually in my dorm room reading red wedding while my friends were watching the TV show - they all had read and knew what was about to happen and I was freaking out. They thought it was pretty funny. Honestly, I think Jaime is probably one of my favorite characters.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm about to finish Storm of Swords. I watched season 1, but talking to my boyfriend about it, the show is all out of order and I HATE spoilers, so I'm waiting until I finish the book series to finish the show.

I love Arya, Tyrion and John in that order.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I'm about to finish Storm of Swords. I watched season 1, but talking to my boyfriend about it, the show is all out of order and I HATE spoilers, so I'm waiting until I finish the book series to finish the show.

I love Arya, Tyrion and John in that order.
    The show gives some stuff away early, some stuff it holds back on and other stuff is just not even in the books at all! lol But since GRRM is involvd in writing the show, I know the stuff that isn't in the books is still relevent to the books, so I like putting the puzzle together using both.

Also, if you're nearly done with book 3, you can safely watch the first two seasons.
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am an original fangirl! I found these books before the 4th one was published, and LONG before HBO picked it up. Arya was my hook into the books originally, but I found Tyrion to be awesome, and then both of those characters are so well done in the TV series! I love Dany's strength, well, at least after she finally got over losing Drogo. But I think I like her more because of the dragons! I also adore Bran. He is portrayed differently than what I pictured when I read the books, but in such a way that I don't mind. And I love Jon Snow, and Samwell Tarly, and the Queen of Roses (LOVE her wit!)!
    I have turned on about 4 people at work to at least watching the series, although one is starting with the books and I promised him he can borrow my copies of the seasons when he is ready to watch the show. I am about to get another couple of people I know started watching it as well, and the fun part about that is that I get to rewatch it from the beginning with them! :)
  • Jlopez201
    Jlopez201 Posts: 61
    Options

Also, GRR will not kill off Tyrion as he is the only character with real depth still left alive.

But GRR Martin says it all the time, as soon as you love a character, it's time to kill them off lol

Yeah I learned my lesson from the HBO Series.. season one.. Now I never get TOO attached to any characters.. LOL.. It is really really difficult NOT to LOVE Tyrion.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options

See and this is why I love this series. It's brilliant.

Someone in the GOT group said something about how she usually reads "more highbrow" stuff and this is just "entertainment for the masses." Please!

This stuff is as good as anything Shakespeare ever did. It would match up to any classic and probably come out ahead of many. The characters are complex and interesting, their motives deep. He explores human nature, character development -- you name it, he does it and he does it well.

Eewww. I hate people like that. Just remind her that Shakespeare and D-i-c-k-ens were both eminently popular, and also wrote 'for the masses.' A text's popularity has nothing to do with its quality or its value to a reader. I have had many discussions with my dissertation director about Game of Thrones (because our conversations always lead us to one of three places: Game of Thrones, Arrested Development, or Breaking Bad...haha), and she raves about its sophisticated use of narrative perspective and the complex overlay of the history of the British monarchy onto the story. People who want to make arbitrary--and negative--distinctions between highbrow literature and lowbrow literature have personal issues. Game of Thrones FTW! Go team!

ETA: MFP hilariously censored D-i-c-k-e-n-s. Had to fix. hahaha
  • rml_16
    Options
    Eewww. I hate people like that. Just remind her that Shakespeare and ****ens were both eminently popular, and also wrote 'for the masses.' A text's popularity has nothing to do with its quality or its value to a reader. I have had many discussions with my dissertation director about Game of Thrones (because our conversations always lead us to one of three places: Game of Thrones, Arrested Development, or Breaking Bad...haha), and she raves about its sophisticated use of narrative perspective and the complex overlay of the history of the British monarchy onto the story. People who want to make arbitrary--and negative--distinctions between highbrow literature and lowbrow literature have personal issues. Game of Thrones FTW! Go team!

I did point that out, but she never responded. Obviously. lol

Then today someone posted to another older thread and I realized this same person had said she hasn't even read the books, only watched the show. So ... Ugh.

I can think of some books I wouldn't classify as literature at all (not even lowbrow *cough*50Shades*cough*), but ASOIAF ain't any of them. Some things are popular and I shake my head and weep for humanity. And some things are popular because they're freaking awesome.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the books; I listened to the audiobooks! I hope I'm not "ugh" :laugh: