Beautiful Behaviors - May 2017

Options

Replies

• KimF0715
    KimF0715 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    @mylasaga THAT'S AWESOME. Everyone can use puppy time.

NO ONE needs donuts OR d-bags!

<3
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    A1c came back already and it's 4.9! Holy cow! When I was diagnosed five months ago it was 11!

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    @rheddmo - I hope you are feeling better. I've never tried one of those grocery pick up services, that's great. OMG, I love Halo Top!
    @spdaphne - Yoga, I need to do it. It's so beneficial
    @SaraKim17 - Wonderful beautiful behavior - I've never had a pedi or mani, but it's on my bucket list. Zumba is fun, you go.
    @KimF0715 - You're on fiyure, hot Fire, Flames!!!! Keep it up.
    @mylasaga - That's Stupendous!!!! Not only did you throw out "chocolate" donuts!!!! :o But, you're right, it's hard to let go of people that are toxic. You get 2 gold stars lol

Update: The bf and I completed 83 minutes of Arms and Abs at the gym last night. I was a little frustrated because my left wrist is tweaking a little bit and so I couldn't lift as heavy as I know I can because I had to baby it a bit. No matter, I still crushed that workout!
    I finally hit my High Carb stats yesterday!!! I've been carb cycling for a couple of weeks and you'd think with the way I love carbs that would be easy. Nope! Because I have to make them somewhat nutritious. I had spaghetti last night - of course, I weighed everything so that I wouldn't over eat.
    My bf and I had an argument last night. It's the same one we've been having for years. He is awful with finances, therefore I cover bills and he is supposed to pay me half, but he is constantly behind. It's annoying and he is always trying to improve. Ugh, just not sure if love is enough sometimes. -Oh, well, I don't have to figure it out this moment. -Just thought I would share a little bit of my 'not so perfect' life. I feel as if I only share the good.
    My beautiful behavior for today - go to dinner with my son and enjoy some good conversation with him. Oooo, I just want to love on him and my daughter whenever I see them, but alas they are 18yrs and 20yrs old. (I still try) :D<3

Thought for the day: Failure is not final unless you give up. **Never give up on "you". Working on yourself and taking time for yourself is the best thing you can do, never feel guilty. When you are running on empty you are no good to anyone else anyway. Don't give up just because you are busy taking care of others or tasks. Sometimes you have to step over laundry, ask your s/o to pick up the kids, say 'no' to others, etc... in order to take care of YOU. So, you had a bad day or you feel there isn't enough time in the day - keep trying, don't give up.
  • KimF0715
    Options
    Okay ladies....need some advice.

I have been working out for three days in a row. I have to admit I've been going very hardcore. I'm really happy with my dedication...BUT.

I am BONE WEARY tired.

I mean, it is definitely a difference in the way I feel.

I really don't want to take a day off.....but do I need to?

Thoughts...opinions....?

Kim
  • rheddmobile
    edited May 2017
    Options
    KimF0715 wrote: »

I have been working out for three days in a row. I have to admit I've been going very hardcore. I'm really happy with my dedication...BUT.

I am BONE WEARY tired.

Thoughts...opinions....?

Kim

Yes, you need to take days off, as well as swapping out which muscle groups you concentrate on to give your muscles time to recover. You will figure out what works for you, but being bone weary is a good sign that you should take a rest day. What I do is workout abs, arms, legs, abs, arms, legs, rest. Since I have diabetes and cardio every single day is necessary to control my blood sugar, my "rest day" is one where I focus on lower intensity longer exercises like walking and yoga. The other days I do a mix of Zumba, tabata, and HIIT cycling.
  • mylasaga
    mylasaga Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I am BONE WEARY tired.

Thoughts...opinions....?

Kim

Thanks gals :)

And yes, I agree you should cut back for a bit but that doesn't necessarily mean you need to take a day completely off (although you certainly could, it would be beneficial). I was running really hard every day for a couple weeks and was exhausted and had constantly sore shins. And did NOT have much energy for lifting. That's usually how I can tell I need to take a break, when all I feel like doing is cardio. Which is weird, I know lol. So I've been doing some lower impact workouts the past week (hence the yoga and long walks) and am feeling much more rested and ready to take on more. Planning on an intense lower body workout this evening in fact!
  • KimF0715
    Options
    Thanks. I figured as much. I just started, so I'm bummed to have to back off a bit. There ARE proponents of pushing through the fatigue.

Then again, face plant on the treadmill....never a good idea.
  • happysherri
    Options
    Thanks. I figured as much. I just started, so I'm bummed to have to back off a bit. There ARE proponents of pushing through the fatigue.

Then again, face plant on the treadmill....never a good idea.

I agree with others. This week I worked out Sat, Sun and Monday, by the Time Tuesday came I felt like I needed a rest so I rested. And that wasn't even my scheduled rest day. I felt the same way as you, I didn't want to take the day off, but I knew that I would feel burnt out if I didn't. So last night, I started back up. *However tonight is my scheduled rest night, but then I'll be back at it Friday.

Our bodies need rest and our muscles need time to repair themselves. Over working the muscles and body can also cause injury.

If you still feel crazy about it, get down on the floor and do some light stretching. :)
  • finngirl61
    finngirl61 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,
    This is my first post to this group, but wanted to let you know that I think you're all wonderful, inspiring, brave, funny, etc. I am 66, a former athlete in my 20's and due to job, surgeries, etc. I find I am very overweight. I'm 5'6", weight about 249, and even though I know 'what' to eat, I am an emotional eater. I get 'some' support from hubby but it's really up to me to become healthier. I have knee joint issues and hope to start swimming indoors at the local senior center. I actually just bought a new bathing suit online, size 28, since the stores didn't have that size. I did start my weight loss a year ago, weighing 294 (
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    @KimF0715 Awesome job being so motivated. I'd suggest taking a rest day. I have had that issue too. I value my weightlifting time a lot so I've cut back on my running and i've been able to recover better.
    @happysherri Enjoy your high carb day! That and a massage? Wow you're in for a treat of a day!

I've been working on getting used to being back home. I'm so happy I can cook again! This week I have made skinny tikka masala (It was amazing you'd never know it was a healthy version!! http://www.skinnytaste.com/skinny-chicken-tikka-masala/ ) tilapia and veggies for my mom on monday, and avocado mac and cheese for my sister and I yesterday. It looks amazing and brilliant green when it's first made, but the leftovers turn brown... but still taste really good!
    Tommorow my free trial at the snapfitness ends and I'm going to officially sign up at the local gym I've chosen. So excited! Gonna buy one of their tshirts too.

Hope everyone has a fantastic thursday and friday!
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I got under 180 today and then had a kick-*kitten* workout at the pool. I led the lane this morning, which means no drafting. I made all the intervals and nobody else wanted to lead. Josh (who is hit or miss for going faster than me) went second and kept me going with a lot of affirmations. He told me he couldn't count 200's (8 lengths) and needed me to lead. I was really proud of myself and was praying during the last set of 100's and barely made the interval.

Work is going well, I am finally getting my first finished draft of my eLearning ready for review. I am really excited!

So glad tomorrow is Friday and I have a long weekend!

Take time to enjoy those you love this holiday weekend!

Nicki
  • KimF0715
    Options
    Go @nickiphillips1 !

Took my rest night last night. I feel 100% better.

Getting back in the swing today! :)
  • jessiquoi
    jessiquoi Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    @KimF0715 good for you for allowing yourself to change your plan to fit your body's needs. You go girl!

@nickiphillips1 sounds like things are going great for you! Yay for long weekends! Relishing mine too.

@katadx i'm envious of your ability to cook. i haven't had a kitchen in almost six months due to construction. we're getting closer, but not yet! keep it up, sounds like you're really making yourself some beautiful foods.

@finngirl61 we're practically twins! i was a PE major and varsity athlete and now i'm 5'6 250, down from 286. welcome to the group!

@happysherri, your workouts are always inspirational to me. thanks for sharing that your life is not all a bed of roses.

@rheddmobile AWESOME a1c! amazing work, woman! keep it up!

i've been super stressed with having to work more days in the office to prepare for a presentation to our new director. been working on it nonstop for 3 weeks, and yesterday, my part of the presentation got cut. frustrating, and yet liberating, as i didn't have to go in today (my day off) to be a part of the presentation! yay four day weekends!!! last night john and i binged, so it's counting as my high carb day, sherri :). one of these days, maybe today, i'll get on the scale and see how i'm doing. one thing going into the office more has helped with is my activity level. i feel more fit this week after all the running around between my desk and the computer lab.

have a beautiful friday, all!

jess
  • happysherri
    Options
    @finngirl61 - Welcome. I love how you said 'it's really up to me to become healthier' because some people try to blame others, or lack of time, or genes, etc... Sounds as if you are a go getter and that you are setting yourself up for success, keep it up.
    @katadx - Uhm, you can come cook for me anytime! That all sounds delicious. You are doing wonderful
    @nickiphillips1 - Woot Woot! Congrats! Ok, so, it just wore me out reading about all that swimming! Awesome.
    @KimF0715 - Now you are ready to kill another workout! I took a rest day yesterday and tonight I am pumped to crush it! We can do this
    @aleahurst - How are you feeling, what have you been up to?

Update: I didn't get to see my son last night, but that's ok because I was super tired. I was being so lazy that I sat on my couch HUNGRY, until I couldn't ignore it any longer. I even dozed off a bit. So I went to Qdoba's and got a naked chicken burrito bowl and made sure it wasn't over on most of my stats. Went over a little on my calories but since I actually have it set to losing weight, I ate my maintaining calories.
    Tonight is gym night, I think it's shoulders and cardio with the bf. (I'm still kinda mad at him, but I'm the type that can still go on without showing it. We've already discussed it, so now it's up to him if he wants to take action.)
    I have nothing planned this weekend and I work Monday. Looking forward to getting some things done around the house and maybe going to dinner or a movie.

Thought for the day: Don't let one bad day stop you from reaching your goal. **Everyone has done it before, a lot say they are emotional eaters. Well, I am a "tired" eater. Normally, last night I would have went through drive thru and got a combo, with fries and a large coke and possibly a shake. When I feel too tired to cook or do much of anything I want to eat whatever is convenient or tastes good. So proud that I made a better decision last night.

Happy Happy FriYaY!!!
  • finngirl61
    finngirl61 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Found a few quotes:
    * Look in the mirror; that's your competition.
    * When you feel like quitting, remember why you started.
    * Food is fuel, not therapy.
    * The body achieves what the mind believes.
    Have a wonderful, safe holiday weekend!!
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thank you @SaraKim17 and @happysherri !!!!

I'm here. I got rebellious about dieting and gave myself a break. It took about a week longer than I thought it would. I'm back on it. My mind needed reassuring that I was still allowed to choose foods I want. Today, I'm stuffed! I suddenly started feeling full and sure that I was okay.

This is as much a self discovery journey as it is a health care journey!

Love to all.

Lea
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    @finngirl61 welcome to the group! Having diabetes has definitely taught me that food is fuel, it's so fascinating taking my blood glucose and seeing exactly what effect what I put in my body has on my ability to exercise and how I feel. Swimming is great for knee issues. Have you tried cycling? I have bad knees too and sometimes I can do cycling when other activities hurt.
    @happysherri oh gosh yes about the tired eating. I'm so bad about keeping a regular schedule, and when I wear myself out, I don't want to cook, just inhale junk food. I'm trying to learn to quit when I'm ahead and go to bed.
    @jessiquoi how frustrating about the presentation! I hope you enjoyed your day off!
    @KimF0715 glad you got your tank filled back up!
    @nickiphillips1 - awesome about leading the lane!
    @mylasaga - good on you for cutting toxic guy out of your life.

Today is my first day on thyroid meds - last time I tried them, they made my heart rate too high and I had to stop. But after all this exercise my resting heart rate is between 48 - 60 and so far today it has not been an issue. Keeping fingers crossed.

My husband and I went to the park I mentioned and did the river walk. The last time I was there, a couple of years ago, I was having a lupus flare, and I couldn't walk far enough to reach the river, we just walked to the first bench and sat there and talked. The difference yesterday was like night and day - it was so easy and so fun, smiling and saying hi to all the other athletic active people as we passed on the boardwalk. It's really lovely there - there's some kind of wetland plant with big white flowers which smell delicious, and we stood and listened to a little red and black songbird which I think was some kind of finch. When we were crossing the bridge back into civilization, I looked down and said, "I bet there are snakes down there, let's look and see if we can find a snake." I was being silly, but lo and behold we looked over the bridge and there was a baby cottonmouth curled up in the cattails sunning himself. Yes indeedy there are snakes down in those mangroves!

Right now I'm sitting in my back garden relaxing after my workout (Zumba and arms day) watching the neighbor children pop up over my fence on a trampoline. It couldn't be nicer outside. A Cooper's Hawk just flew over and screed to warn the neighborhood that there was a person here. I hope everyone is having a lovely Memorial Day weekend!
  • jessiquoi
    jessiquoi Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile you write so descriptively, it's lovely!

today i am going to drink drink drink my water. i've been neglecting it terribly. my beautiful behavior for today is to flush my innards! :smiley:
  • aleahurst
    Options
    @jessiquoi - WATER!!! Oh my! I'm glad you said that. I've only had 6 cups and it's evening already!

@rheddmobile - COTTONMOUTH! Ugh! Keep it! If you ever see me running, it is not for my health. It is because a venomous snake snuck up and I didn't have a shovel with which to whack it! So glad to hear that lupus flares gave you a break so you could walk.

I had a wonderful kale and carrot salad for supper. Plucked some fresh thyme out of the flower pot to add to it. Put fresh lemon juice on top. I can taste again and ordinary food tastes good! Yum.

I'm sure nobody else has interstitial lung disease, but if you do, a supplement called serrapeptase is helping me feel better. I'm thrilled.

The fresh lemon juice was a little rough on my reflux esophagitis. Lesson learned. But it tasted so goooood. Maybe the lesson wasn't learned....

Diet foods are worthless if you don't like the way they taste. What can I use instead of lemon? I don't like salad dressing. Yuck. I do like chocolate. Does anyone have a recipe for chocolate covered kale? It might work.

Love to all.

Lea
  • aleahurst
    Options
    Golly! This place is a ghost town over the weekend!