Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Wassup USA

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Funny that you love our accents. The only American accents I think sound good (or at least not bad) are New England, NY, NJ, PA, Appalachian and the Carolinas.

Most Americans adore British accents, particularly Scottish. I really like a Scottish accent.

what about Texans?

..... don't mess with Texas!
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Avocado_Angel - I think you are fun!

And I like hearing you talk about the UK. I'm not American either so it is fun to hear everyone describe the US and the culture
  • Vikka_V
    A really great friend of mine recently (last year) moved to the U.K. from here, the U.S. He loves it there & said he plans on staying in the U.K. Days he'd much rather raise his family there instead of the U.S.

As far as accents go, what accents?

Any American accent lol
    A couple months ago I was walking in the city centre here in Glasgow scotland and couldn't remember where a particular burger joint was situated, so I asked a passer by, she was a Canadian and I could have listened to her talk all day lol I'm just a bit mesmerized by it. Definitely due to all the American tv shows/ films iv watched. Are Canadians American? I'm sure they are, yeah

lolol, too funny

I'm Canadian, I really hope I don't have a "hoser" accent.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    There are a lot of different experiences in the US depending on where you are.

I live in a town of less than 5,000 people in Kansas. It is the county seat. We are surrounded by farms and even smaller towns. The land is pretty open and flat so you can see pretty far. I find it very peaceful. You can see a lot of stars at night without a lot of city lights.
    It tends to be windy. We are in "tornado alley". It gets hot in summer and cold in winter. We have 4 seasons.
    Wildlife you might see in the area would include raccoons, possums, deer. I see squirrels, robins, mourning doves, grackles, blue jays, cardinals visiting my yard pretty often. You can hear coyote and owls often.
    Being in a small town crime is pretty low. Meth use in rural areas is an issue.
    There is one school. Store and restaurant options are limited. There are a couple of bars. A few different churches. A swimming pool and lake.
    People are generally nice but more conservative. There are pockets of liberal thinkers.
    There are train tracks going through town. A few times a day/night the train (cargo) goes through loudly.
    The main street through town is steadily busy most days with car traffic as people pass through.
    There is no public transportation. You need a car if you plan to leave town and go anywhere. Many households have 2 cars. People are used to driving longer distances.
    There are a lot of older people and families. Young people often move away after high school because there are not a lot of job opportunities nearby or entertainment.
    There are not a lot of new homes being built here. My house is pretty typical. It is a wood frame with siding and 107 years old. It has 2 stories plus attic and basement. The basement is damp often. It sits on two lots so there is a big grassy lawn. No fence.
    Cost of living is less expensive here but Kansas economy is *kitten* up.
    School sports and events are a big deal. There are some annual celebrations in town in fall and summer.
    People will have big parties on farms sometimes for Memorial day or 4th of July.
    We tend to go out of town for entertainment. The closest sizeable city (of 70,000ish people) is a 45 minute drive away. We might go there once a month.
    I don't think there is a strong accent to people in the area.
  • Vikka_V
    I would love to visit Scotland!
    Is it true that it is overcast often and not very sunny? Does it rain a lot? If so that is my favourite weather.

Also, is it true that there are not many trees? Many forests?

I'm from Canada, there are a lot of trees and forests here.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,447 Member
    USA ,we are big, several states are larger then entire EU countries. This creates less incentive to learn other languages. This also creates the driver culture. We don't have as good a rail system as we are much more spread out thus you need to drive to get places.
    Last year a cousin from Italy wanted to visit Boston, NYC, DC ,Hollywood, and Houston Texas in one week and it took a lot of explanation that these places were so far apart as to be impossible to do all in one week.
  • carbkiller1971
    carbkiller1971 Posts: 1,426 Member
    I'm American spend summers in Europe Big difference Europe everything tiny Americans like it big cars homes land meals you can't even turn around in a bathroom in Europe Lol Europeans dress nice when they leave the house American don't even get out of their pjs and wear bunny slippers to shop Americans that have never travelled believe America IS the planet. Lol and in general we don't give a *kitten* what others think we do for ourselves, while at the same time are the most charitable ppl we believes there's not better place to live than America and the immagrants who come say the same thing I e been around Europe , some Middle East and some islands there is no better place to live and thrive than America I hope it will remain this way but you never know we can't stay on top forever
  • carbkiller1971
    carbkiller1971 Posts: 1,426 Member
    d52vtjscai0u.gif
  • Motorsheen
    I'm American spend summers in Europe Big difference Europe everything tiny Americans like it big cars homes land meals you can't even turn around in a bathroom in Europe Lol Europeans dress nice when they leave the house American don't even get out of their pjs and wear bunny slippers to shop Americans that have never travelled believe America IS the planet. Lol and in general we don't give a *kitten* what others think we do for ourselves, while at the same time are the most charitable ppl we believes there's not better place to live than America and the immagrants who come say the same thing I e been around Europe , some Middle East and some islands there is no better place to live and thrive than America I hope it will remain this way but you never know we can't stay on top forever

Americans don't shop in their pajamas and slippers in my experience. I've seen it maybe 4 times tops and I'm 50 years old. That's something glorified in Youtube videos.

Americans who've never traveled before are probably busy working hard earning their own keep, possibly just getting by financially, and aren't privy to the luxury of international travel. On their precious days off from hard work, they want to relax, clean the house and eat a meal out. Not spend their life savings standing in a 5 hour line at an airport, checking luggage, and taking a 14 hour flight to Europe with two layovers.

America is the best place to live and thrive in the world. And when we Americans speak more kindly, gently, and accurately about our own selves as Americans, our own country (it's called America. Not Murica), we'll be perpetuating the positive growth and perception of our own country, not the ugly tiresome stereotypes that non Americans love to sneer and snicker at.

Euros and Brits and other foreigners who haven't been to America, particularly to the flyover states, are only familiar with the Americans who travel internationally. Generally the well-to-do, more privileged Americans. Once they come here and meet a more humble variety of Americans, which are the vast majority of Americans, they are pleasantly and endearingly surprised and go back home with a more positive impression of our population as a whole.

cool post; well said

773272fb1e34cf000727ab062ce92e7c_-legendary-character-ali-g-ali-g-respect-meme_640-524.jpeg
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Funny that you love our accents. The only American accents I think sound good (or at least not bad) are New England, NY, NJ, PA, Appalachian and the Carolinas.

Most Americans adore British accents, particularly Scottish. I really like a Scottish accent.

what about Texans?

As my (Texan) husband would day, 'Damn skippy!' Plus, Texas is huge. People from west Texas don't speak with the same accent as people from southeast Texas (although I guess maybe to the untrained ear they all drawl alike :tongue: )
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Do people really find an American accent sexy or just fascinating because of how slow we talk?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    What exactly is an 'American' accent anyway? We poke fun at each other for having different accents! Boston does not speak like Texas.
  • Motorsheen
    I spent years in Los Angeles, if there's an accent there... I don't know what it is.
  • Motorsheen
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »

what about Texans?

As my (Texan) husband would day, 'Damn skippy!' Plus, Texas is huge. People from west Texas don't speak with the same accent as people from southeast Texas (although I guess maybe to the untrained ear they all drawl alike :tongue: )

It's like a southern accent.... only different, and you're right, a Texas accent can vary.

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    It honestly really comes down to where you live in America and what your experiences are. I've lived all over including other countries outside the U.S., so my perspective is a lot less close-minded than when I was 15 years younger and only knew the hillbilly/white trash stereotype (because those are the people who lived in the area I grew up in) growing up in the rural areas of the Midwest.

The car one is definitely true. I haven't been to Europe yet (I really want to), but compared to Japanese homes/cars.. American spaces are HUUUUUUUGE. Really, it took a bit to get used to driving a van around that was the size of a normal car here.. and the Japanese considered the beater van I drove to be spacious. Also, watching my 6'4" husband drive any car in Japan was hilarious as everything made it look like he was driving one of those cars you see clowns drive in cartoons.

• LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    I think Dave Ramsey says it best about the American way of life, "We buy things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people we don't like."

The American dream has went from a white picket fence to the biggest house on the street with a brand new car in the driveway. It's very sad.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Americans are I suppose as human as everyone else. We are diverse (some are hillbillies, some like white picket fences, some rude - others not so much). Right now we are extremely polarized politically, something we have been in the past and I am sure we will be in the future. We like to think we are unique to the point that many are very uniform in their "uniqueness". Some Americans love this country and others hate it and everything it stands for historically. As for me, living on the west coast in a state that pretty much feels superior to the rest of the country to the point of creating their own country, I believe we are very fortunate to have been born or had the opportunity to live in one of the most scenic countries in the world that does in fact provide opportunity to those who choose to pursue those opportunities.
  • Motorsheen
    Americans are I suppose as human as everyone else. We are diverse (some are hillbillies, some like white picket fences, some rude - others not so much). Right now we are extremely polarized politically, something we have been in the past and I am sure we will be in the future. We like to think we are unique to the point that many are very uniform in their "uniqueness". Some Americans love this country and others hate it and everything it stands for historically. As for me, living on the west coast in a state that pretty much feels superior to the rest of the country to the point of creating their own country, I believe we are very fortunate to have been born or had the opportunity to live in one of the most scenic countries in the world that does in fact provide opportunity to those who choose to pursue those opportunities.

Well, if you're in California,then you really do have the best climate of anywhere I've ever traveled.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    We have it all here, deserts, high mountains, rivers, oceans, pretty much anything anyone could ask for if they like being outside. We even have warm ocean water if you travel down to Mission Bay in San Diego.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited May 2017
    Hi guys. Iv got a question, something Iv been sort of fascinated with over the years is the USA. Must come from all the American films iv grown up with, but iv got this notion that America is amazing, is it? I also love the accent it gets me all giddy lol.

What's the difference between the UK and USA?

Our teeth