Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Wassup USA

Replies

• serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Americans don't shop in their pajamas and slippers in my experience. I've seen it maybe 4 times tops and I'm 50 years old. That's something glorified in Youtube videos.

You must live in a more upscale place in America than some of us do. I've seen people shop in their pajamas in numerous states. It's more common than you think. I have no idea why people shop in their pajamas, but they definitely do.

That's not to say everyone shops in their pajamas, but it's become a lot more commonplace than when I was a teen, that's for sure.

I live in a city in New England that is about the farthest thing from upscale than you could imagine. There are literally no gentrified areas in this city and home ownership is the exception rather than the norm.

The only time I've seen people out in on the streets in their pajamas was to quickly run to the corner variety store for some food staples and then run back to an apartment with small children in it.

And a few times, while waiting in the lobby of my church, I've seen women in pajamas walking by. They were on their way to the basement of the church where there's a food bank that gives away free food. Possibly they only owned one set of clothes, which were maybe being laundered, and all they had to wear that day were pajamas. There was a homeless shelter 3 blocks away.

Honestly, I've seen more pajama wearing shoppers in places that are soon-to-be gentrified or were recently gentrified. Definitely saw it a lot in my old college town and it's super-gentrified now to the point of being unrecognizable. I used to see them more in rural areas like the small town I grew up in, but not as much anymore. Not sure if that's because the people in my small hometown finally started caring about what they wore when they were out (probably not) or if the people who previously wore said attire finally left the area for parts unknown.

To be fair, I have no judgment about people who wear pajamas as clothes or who don't feel like getting dressed (for whatever reason). It doesn't bother me one bit what they choose to wear, but a lot of others definitely seem to care and see it as a detriment to our image (whatever that is supposed to be).

Also, that's really cool that you have a church that offers a food bank. We could use some more places like that out here as we are a small rural town in the middle of a desert with a fairly high amount of homeless people. The nearest Wal*Mart is about 15-20 minutes away and it's definitely not in a gentrified part of the town.

I've only driven through New England. What's it like compared to other parts of the country?

It's widely regarded as the most beautiful part of the U.S. No deserts, no canyons and no hot springs. But we've got everything else. Heavily forested with lots of maple trees. That's my favorite part about it.

The one (and possibly only) thing I miss about New England is the Autumn there. So much beauty in those trees. We were Sunday driver's every week when I was a kid just for the trees.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Being in Canada, we're influenced by both the UK and the USA so its hard to really say.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Americans don't shop in their pajamas and slippers in my experience. I've seen it maybe 4 times tops and I'm 50 years old. That's something glorified in Youtube videos.

You must live in a more upscale place in America than some of us do. I've seen people shop in their pajamas in numerous states. It's more common than you think. I have no idea why people shop in their pajamas, but they definitely do.

That's not to say everyone shops in their pajamas, but it's become a lot more commonplace than when I was a teen, that's for sure.

I live in a city in New England that is about the farthest thing from upscale than you could imagine. There are literally no gentrified areas in this city and home ownership is the exception rather than the norm.

The only time I've seen people out in on the streets in their pajamas was to quickly run to the corner variety store for some food staples and then run back to an apartment with small children in it.

And a few times, while waiting in the lobby of my church, I've seen women in pajamas walking by. They were on their way to the basement of the church where there's a food bank that gives away free food. Possibly they only owned one set of clothes, which were maybe being laundered, and all they had to wear that day were pajamas. There was a homeless shelter 3 blocks away.

Honestly, I've seen more pajama wearing shoppers in places that are soon-to-be gentrified or were recently gentrified. Definitely saw it a lot in my old college town and it's super-gentrified now to the point of being unrecognizable. I used to see them more in rural areas like the small town I grew up in, but not as much anymore. Not sure if that's because the people in my small hometown finally started caring about what they wore when they were out (probably not) or if the people who previously wore said attire finally left the area for parts unknown.

To be fair, I have no judgment about people who wear pajamas as clothes or who don't feel like getting dressed (for whatever reason). It doesn't bother me one bit what they choose to wear, but a lot of others definitely seem to care and see it as a detriment to our image (whatever that is supposed to be).

Also, that's really cool that you have a church that offers a food bank. We could use some more places like that out here as we are a small rural town in the middle of a desert with a fairly high amount of homeless people. The nearest Wal*Mart is about 15-20 minutes away and it's definitely not in a gentrified part of the town.

I've only driven through New England. What's it like compared to other parts of the country?

It's widely regarded as the most beautiful part of the U.S. No deserts, no canyons and no hot springs. But we've got everything else. Heavily forested with lots of maple trees. That's my favorite part about it.

The one (and possibly only) thing I miss about New England is the Autumn there. So much beauty in those trees. We were Sunday driver's every week when I was a kid just for the trees.

Were you spottin' raccoons on the road?
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member

Were you spottin' raccoons on the road?

Nope but I did have a deal with the pigeons
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    So much generalization in this thread. :disappointed:
  • carbkiller1971
    carbkiller1971 Posts: 1,426 Member
    I'm American spend summers in Europe Big difference Europe everything tiny Americans like it big cars homes land meals you can't even turn around in a bathroom in Europe Lol Europeans dress nice when they leave the house American don't even get out of their pjs and wear bunny slippers to shop Americans that have never travelled believe America IS the planet. Lol and in general we don't give a *kitten* what others think we do for ourselves, while at the same time are the most charitable ppl we believes there's not better place to live than America and the immagrants who come say the same thing I e been around Europe , some Middle East and some islands there is no better place to live and thrive than America I hope it will remain this way but you never know we can't stay on top forever

Americans who've never traveled before are probably busy working hard earning their own keep, possibly just getting by financially, and aren't privy to the luxury of international travel. On their precious days off from hard work, they want to relax, clean the house and eat a meal out. Not spend their life savings standing in a 5 hour line at an airport, checking luggage, and taking a 14 hour flight to Europe with two layovers.

America is the best place to live and thrive in the world. And when we Americans speak more kindly, gently, and accurately about our own selves as Americans, our own country (it's called America. Not Murica), we'll be perpetuating the positive growth and perception of our own country, not the ugly tiresome stereotypes that non Americans love to sneer and snicker at.

Euros and Brits and other foreigners who haven't been to America, particularly to the flyover states, are only familiar with the Americans who travel internationally. Generally the well-to-do, more privileged Americans. Once they come here and meet a more humble variety of Americans, which are the vast majority of Americans, they are pleasantly and endearingly surprised and go back home with a more positive impression of our population as a whole.

You must not shop at my Walmart

I do shop at Walmart. You must not live in New England.

I live in the mid west Lol now do you understand the Bible Belt and gun country
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    I'm American spend summers in Europe Big difference Europe everything tiny Americans like it big cars homes land meals you can't even turn around in a bathroom in Europe Lol Europeans dress nice when they leave the house American don't even get out of their pjs and wear bunny slippers to shop Americans that have never travelled believe America IS the planet. Lol and in general we don't give a *kitten* what others think we do for ourselves, while at the same time are the most charitable ppl we believes there's not better place to live than America and the immagrants who come say the same thing I e been around Europe , some Middle East and some islands there is no better place to live and thrive than America I hope it will remain this way but you never know we can't stay on top forever

Americans who've never traveled before are probably busy working hard earning their own keep, possibly just getting by financially, and aren't privy to the luxury of international travel. On their precious days off from hard work, they want to relax, clean the house and eat a meal out. Not spend their life savings standing in a 5 hour line at an airport, checking luggage, and taking a 14 hour flight to Europe with two layovers.

America is the best place to live and thrive in the world. And when we Americans speak more kindly, gently, and accurately about our own selves as Americans, our own country (it's called America. Not Murica), we'll be perpetuating the positive growth and perception of our own country, not the ugly tiresome stereotypes that non Americans love to sneer and snicker at.

Euros and Brits and other foreigners who haven't been to America, particularly to the flyover states, are only familiar with the Americans who travel internationally. Generally the well-to-do, more privileged Americans. Once they come here and meet a more humble variety of Americans, which are the vast majority of Americans, they are pleasantly and endearingly surprised and go back home with a more positive impression of our population as a whole.

You must not shop at my Walmart

I do shop at Walmart. You must not live in New England.

I live in the mid west Lol now do you understand the Bible Belt and gun country

S'up fellow Midwesterner?

I don't live there now, but will be again soon. Joy of joys.

Don't remind me of what I was avoiding, lol.
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Aaah Wal-Mart! Soo American I love it lol forgive me if I sound weird but, when Wal-Mart bought over our Asda stores here in Britain I was well excited I thought yass! Hopefully they give them an American make over! I just love everything American, you guys rock. Bigger biggest best and those accents, I'm done

to other countries, america = walmart. great.

be careful...in a few years you'll replace walking with a motorized cart, while wearing pajamas and crocs.
  • KosmosKitten
    Aaah Wal-Mart! Soo American I love it lol forgive me if I sound weird but, when Wal-Mart bought over our Asda stores here in Britain I was well excited I thought yass! Hopefully they give them an American make over! I just love everything American, you guys rock. Bigger biggest best and those accents, I'm done

Huh.. I didn't know Wal-Mart bought out Asda. The Japanese equivalents of Wal-Mart are called Seiyu (owned by Wal-Mart) and they look sorta like the ones here. Still distinctly Japanese looking and usually more stories (because of the limited space they have to build things in a lot of Japanese towns/cities), so maybe you'll end up with a kind of hybrid like they did?

Do you know if they are going to change the name of the stores or keep it?
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    I'm so pleased. I thought everyone in the UK hated us!

Except Texans. I'm told y'all Brits love Texans. Is that true?

• KosmosKitten

be careful...in a few years you'll replace walking with a motorized cart, while wearing pajamas and crocs.

Wait, people still wear Crocs?? I must have been living under a rock.. or seriously not paying attention to what people wear.
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 222 Member
    edited May 2017
    I was born in NYC, I have the accent to prove it. I am always surprised when I hear a recording of my voice, I sound like "a nanny named Fran" not surprising since we're both from Queens. I don't think my accent qualifies as cute.

When I bought my first house I wanted more than a postage stamp sized yard so I moved onto the Island (Long) No picket fence, it's cedar, but a big yard, a pool and 2 cars. Raised the kids here. I'm lucky though because the grocery store, library, post office and most other stores are within 1 mile of my house so I can walk to the stores...when my knee gets better.

Now my kids have moved to Brooklyn, not one has a car they are really inconvenient because of parking regulations and there is an excellent mass transportation system in NYC. As an added benefit living in Brooklyn and working in Manhattan means a LOT of walking.

The work thing is true. The kids work way more than 40 hours a week. Most people don't have a lot of vacation time either. I live near big airports so traveling isn't as expensive for me, I also love cruising and ships leave right from Manhattan so I've done about 12 cruises. Since I live right near the port I can book last minute trips and save a bucket of money.

For the most part chain restaurants give huge portions and most meals are under $20. (15.46 in Pounds) I always end up taking 1/2 the meal home. You can actually get 2 meals for $20 at some chain restaurants. Non-chain restaurants may have big portions or normal people sized. Of course there are expensive places to eat but I think the food is reasonably priced at most local places. I went to a diner last Saturday, got a BLT it came with a bowl of cole slaw and a pickle, it cost $6.99 (5.41 in pounds)

Hey a BIG perk about living here is no pay toilets. Every large store has a rest room. That's one thing that surprised me in Europe. Very few public rest rooms and those I saw charged you to use them.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    So much generalization in this thread. :disappointed:

That's a generic statement.
  • KosmosKitten

Wait, people still wear Crocs?? I must have been living under a rock.. or seriously not paying attention to what people wear.

Living in the city now, iv never seen a crock wearer. It's mostly in the country side, villages. I lived in a small village in Scotland for almost 8 years and let me tell you, crocs were rife everybody and their wife had a pair

See.. I wasn't even aware they had caught on in other countries. They never appealed to me and look like they would smell awful after a few wears, so no thanks. :p
  • KosmosKitten

Living in the city now, iv never seen a crock wearer. It's mostly in the country side, villages. I lived in a small village in Scotland for almost 8 years and let me tell you, crocs were rife everybody and their wife had a pair

See.. I wasn't even aware they had caught on in other countries. They never appealed to me and look like they would smell awful after a few wears, so no thanks. :p

People in the village used to pimp up their crocs, I'm talking jewels, fake diamonds. It was quite a trend lol you were the odd one out if you didn't own at least 5 pairs, different colours, pink, black, green...and of course the obligatory jewels. Oh yes haha

Different story in the city, then again socks with sandals has caught on again. I mean really ?

I don't think that trend ever left here.. although I've only seen men wear socks/sandals together.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,396 Member

I xrayed a lady just today wearing crocs. But like fancy cute ones, not the general oversized ones with the holes.
  • KosmosKitten

I xrayed a lady just today wearing crocs. But like fancy cute ones, not the general oversized ones with the holes.

There are cute fancy ones? I must investigate this further. Probably still won't buy any, but I'm generally a curious person.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    I'm gona spend some time reading all these comments, what better way to find out about a place than asking the residents. But still in my mind, America is so huge, so full of history and culture it will take my lifetime to learn about it all. Indians in America is a massive subject by itself I will definitely look more into that

That's funny, because I think most of us feel like our history and culture have NOTHING on Europe! Our Native American history is really quite tragic :frowning: Interesting, but sad.
  • MonkeyMel21

There are cute fancy ones? I must investigate this further. Probably still won't buy any, but I'm generally a curious person.

There are alllll kinds. Crocs realized that their shoes never die so they had to come up with other ways to sell more, lmao.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Like these

490a946dbw7c.jpg