A Message for Older Guys

Options

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I'm 63 in a couple of months. Don't marry too young because you are not mature enough until you've got a few miles on you. When you do marry, give your woman respect. Put her first, because if you do, someday she will be your greatest ally. Tell those you love how important they are to you. Often. Time passes quickly. Too quickly. Don't be selfish with your love, your time or your money. Start saving for retirement. It'll be here sooner than you can imagine. Have fun. Make time to spend time with your friends and family.

I have lived exactly how I have described above. Have no regrets. Raised my 3 girls and taught them to give and demand respect. They are happy and successful which makes me happy and feeling successful, I tell them how important they are to me every time I see them or talk to them on the phone.And the best thing I ever did was show them how they should be treated by how I treated their mother.

Good stuff here!
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I'm 63 in a couple of months. Don't marry too young because you are not mature enough until you've got a few miles on you. When you do marry, give your woman respect. Put her first, because if you do, someday she will be your greatest ally. Tell those you love how important they are to you. Often. Time passes quickly. Too quickly. Don't be selfish with your love, your time or your money. Start saving for retirement. It'll be here sooner than you can imagine. Have fun. Make time to spend time with your friends and family.

I have lived exactly how I have described above. Have no regrets. Raised my 3 girls and taught them to give and demand respect. They are happy and successful which makes me happy and feeling successful, I tell them how important they are to me every time I see them or talk to them on the phone.And the best thing I ever did was show them how they should be treated by how I treated their mother.

Beautiful post.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    DasItMan91 wrote: »
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    Here's one.. don't call people who're like what, 2 years older then you? Old.

Nice trolling and nice fallacy, I never knew people who were 30 years old were 2 years older than me AT 25 years old lmao. Your math sucks.

You never told me you were 25. I had to guess.
    But anyway dude, you twist and turn everything I say to you and each time you answer me you try to belittle me. You can try all you want sweetie but I know who I am and what I have to offer

And here is a real advice I'm offering to you and I hope you'll listen but given your arrogance I very much doubt it.

You really have a lot to learn about people. You should treat them with respect even though you don't think they deserve it.

Stay humble and confident but leave the arrogance to the foolish. There's a difference between being arrogant and confident, you have yet to find it and for your sakes I do hope you'll find it soon.

An intelligent man is the one who never stops learning.

I wish you all the best.

I'm not an arrogant person, I don't think I'm better than anyone else. I like how you think you know me even though you never met me before....first you said I had Asperger's even though I've never been diagnosed with it nor are you a doctor nor qualified to tell me otherwise and then you said I had a high opinion of myself and now you're saying I'm arrogant...yeaaah okkk LOL. Someone I barely know saying that I'm arrogant even though that couldn't be further from the truth. Plus going back to the last thread about the whole would you date someone different than you.....there were like two other people that said they wouldn't date anyone with a mental illness but instead of attacking them, you attacked me only which is laughable. Hmm...I wonder why... Not only that but judging by your comment of me, you assumed Asperger's was a mental illness and which is why you tried to bring it up as a strawman to try to attack me. But it's ok though, I know I got alot to learn but me being arrogant is bs. I would say I have a healthy dose of confidence but I don't think I'm the sht. But keep on making assumptions about me, I'll just keep debunking your BS and keep doing my thing. I don't try to belittle you, hell I haven't even insulted you yet, I'm just calmly explaining sht to you so you can understand and stop make stupid assumptions about me. Fabricating complete lies about me....just LOL. Also so you assumed I was 28....ok then now you know and also I didn't know you didn't know my real age so there...I apologize.

Uh, this thread has some serious baggage.

As to the OP, I don't mind being called older than someone a decade or more younger than I, because I AM older than that person, but the OP is 25 and calling 30-year-olds older? That doesn't make any sense. I do feel like this entire thread is kind of a dig. Not to me, to the guys on here, apparently.

Even given that there's some wisdom here. If OP is even loosely honest about wanting to learn from his own question, he would be wise to read, and heed. IMO.

Because people who are in their 30s ARE older than me....it's really that simple. I have several friends who are in their 30s and they are ALL OLDER THAN ME. What am I going to say, they're the same age or younger? No because that's not the truth. I'm not trying to insult anyone but alot of you sensitive people seem to be getting mad that the word "OLDER" and acting like I'm the bad guy. If people don't like it, it's not really my problem because I'm being realistic. If any 30 year old is hurt I called them older than me then....idk what to tell you. And I was legit curious what the guys older than me had to say cause they have more experience than me, most of the advice is good.

Well, so...if a 20-year-old guy were to come on here asking for the wisdom of "older" guys who are 25, like you, you wouldn't think that was weird? And kind of funny?

As I said, just saying someone is older than you isn't offensive. A person is older, or not. But seeking wisdom as if the person were a grizzled sage because he is five years older than you? It's kind of odd and that's why it seems like a dig...because it's such a reach.

Once again, I am not speaking from a position of being offended personally or anything. I couldn't possibly be. I'm not a guy and that is the group this was aimed at. It just seems like there is a bit of freaking out going on here, coupled with an older guys dig at men only five years older than you...oh well, again, whatever the background is here, there is a little good information sandwiched in among the thread...live and learn, and steel yourself when five years from now some hot young dude asks you respectfully for advice since you are an older guy, so you must be wise. :D I promise you such thoughtless chirps sting that very first times but you'll be finding that out sooner rather than later...hold on tight. :D

Honestly if I was in my 30s and some guy who was 25 asked me for advice because he thought I was wise, I wouldn't be bothered by it. Why should I be? I wouldn't be some dude who's in denial about his age. And plus I'm asking for advice from guys who are in their 30s and above on here because most of the time guys in their 30s and above have gone through more than people in their 20s. And I like to hear an older man's perspective. One other websites, I have asked for advice from older guys (late 20s-50s) plus the same applies in real life. I have had a 21 year old guy ask me for advice before (he's my friend) and I didn't think it was weird. I just helped him out anyway I could. There are some wise people in theirs 20s-30s believe it or not. They just been through alot.

The point is don't worry about me asking for advice from an older guy (whether he's 28, 29 or 30 years old), it wasn't even directed towards you or any other women, just men but you women just happened to reply anyway. I asked for advice from MEN, not WOMEN. Stop making a big deal out of nothing, it's clear YOU and a few other people have a problem with it (don't deny it, you do or else you wouldn't have responded), it's obvious most other posters on here don't have a problem with what I said.

It's funny how someone in their 20s (probably even the same age as me) made a similar thread with the same question on another website (the misc on Bodybuilding.com) and everyone gave him advice without anyone saying stupid sht like "Why you call someone in their 30s older? or "Why do you think someone who's like 5-10 years older than you is wise?".

i'm about to hit 34 and in no way does it bother me when a younger dude says i'm older. i am older. facts is facts. least you're asking for advice on things and making a thread that would allow some actual discussion different than most of the regular stuff on here.

which leads me to another piece of advice i heard once:
    "better to be punched in the face with the truth, than kissed with a lie"

Thank you for agreeing with me, I even had a discussion yesterday with my friend in real life about this (he's 38). He completely agrees that I did nothing wrong and that alot of people nowadays are sensitive and *kitten*. He says the people that make a big deal about it seem to be in denial with their own age. He knows he's an older man than me and he doesn't deny it nor is offended by it but does he give a *kitten*? No because he owns it and he looks good for his age (no homo). People always assume he's the same age as me anyway. People are just insecure about their own age and when you say the word "Older", it's World War III. If I get to 35, he's gonna be 48, he's always going to be older than me but that doesn't mean we're not friends. And quite honestly I like being friends with older men.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options

THIS. Oh and I'm teaching my DD the basics on self defense and how to handle situations where she may be under attack. With all the BS that many males think they can get away with watching social media, teaching my girl how to handle these situations will only help if it ever happens to her.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Dazzler21
    Options

Nice trolling and nice fallacy, I never knew people who were 30 years old were 2 years older than me AT 25 years old lmao. Your math sucks.

But anyway dude, you twist and turn everything I say to you and each time you answer me you try to belittle me. You can try all you want sweetie but I know who I am and what I have to offer

And here is a real advice I'm offering to you and I hope you'll listen but given your arrogance I very much doubt it.

You really have a lot to learn about people. You should treat them with respect even though you don't think they deserve it.

Stay humble and confident but leave the arrogance to the foolish. There's a difference between being arrogant and confident, you have yet to find it and for your sakes I do hope you'll find it soon.

I wish you all the best.

I'm not an arrogant person, I don't think I'm better than anyone else. I like how you think you know me even though you never met me before....first you said I had Asperger's even though I've never been diagnosed with it nor are you a doctor nor qualified to tell me otherwise and then you said I had a high opinion of myself and now you're saying I'm arrogant...yeaaah okkk LOL. Someone I barely know saying that I'm arrogant even though that couldn't be further from the truth. Plus going back to the last thread about the whole would you date someone different than you.....there were like two other people that said they wouldn't date anyone with a mental illness but instead of attacking them, you attacked me only which is laughable. Hmm...I wonder why... Not only that but judging by your comment of me, you assumed Asperger's was a mental illness and which is why you tried to bring it up as a strawman to try to attack me. But it's ok though, I know I got alot to learn but me being arrogant is bs. I would say I have a healthy dose of confidence but I don't think I'm the sht. But keep on making assumptions about me, I'll just keep debunking your BS and keep doing my thing. I don't try to belittle you, hell I haven't even insulted you yet, I'm just calmly explaining sht to you so you can understand and stop make stupid assumptions about me. Fabricating complete lies about me....just LOL. Also so you assumed I was 28....ok then now you know and also I didn't know you didn't know my real age so there...I apologize.

As to the OP, I don't mind being called older than someone a decade or more younger than I, because I AM older than that person, but the OP is 25 and calling 30-year-olds older? That doesn't make any sense. I do feel like this entire thread is kind of a dig. Not to me, to the guys on here, apparently.

Even given that there's some wisdom here. If OP is even loosely honest about wanting to learn from his own question, he would be wise to read, and heed. IMO.

Because people who are in their 30s ARE older than me....it's really that simple. I have several friends who are in their 30s and they are ALL OLDER THAN ME. What am I going to say, they're the same age or younger? No because that's not the truth. I'm not trying to insult anyone but alot of you sensitive people seem to be getting mad that the word "OLDER" and acting like I'm the bad guy. If people don't like it, it's not really my problem because I'm being realistic. If any 30 year old is hurt I called them older than me then....idk what to tell you. And I was legit curious what the guys older than me had to say cause they have more experience than me, most of the advice is good.

Well, so...if a 20-year-old guy were to come on here asking for the wisdom of "older" guys who are 25, like you, you wouldn't think that was weird? And kind of funny?

As I said, just saying someone is older than you isn't offensive. A person is older, or not. But seeking wisdom as if the person were a grizzled sage because he is five years older than you? It's kind of odd and that's why it seems like a dig...because it's such a reach.

Once again, I am not speaking from a position of being offended personally or anything. I couldn't possibly be. I'm not a guy and that is the group this was aimed at. It just seems like there is a bit of freaking out going on here, coupled with an older guys dig at men only five years older than you...oh well, again, whatever the background is here, there is a little good information sandwiched in among the thread...live and learn, and steel yourself when five years from now some hot young dude asks you respectfully for advice since you are an older guy, so you must be wise. :D I promise you such thoughtless chirps sting that very first times but you'll be finding that out sooner rather than later...hold on tight. :D

Honestly if I was in my 30s and some guy who was 25 asked me for advice because he thought I was wise, I wouldn't be bothered by it. Why should I be? I wouldn't be some dude who's in denial about his age. And plus I'm asking for advice from guys who are in their 30s and above on here because most of the time guys in their 30s and above have gone through more than people in their 20s. And I like to hear an older man's perspective. One other websites, I have asked for advice from older guys (late 20s-50s) plus the same applies in real life. I have had a 21 year old guy ask me for advice before (he's my friend) and I didn't think it was weird. I just helped him out anyway I could. There are some wise people in theirs 20s-30s believe it or not. They just been through alot.

The point is don't worry about me asking for advice from an older guy (whether he's 28, 29 or 30 years old), it wasn't even directed towards you or any other women, just men but you women just happened to reply anyway. I asked for advice from MEN, not WOMEN. Stop making a big deal out of nothing, it's clear YOU and a few other people have a problem with it (don't deny it, you do or else you wouldn't have responded), it's obvious most other posters on here don't have a problem with what I said.

It's funny how someone in their 20s (probably even the same age as me) made a similar thread with the same question on another website (the misc on Bodybuilding.com) and everyone gave him advice without anyone saying stupid sht like "Why you call someone in their 30s older? or "Why do you think someone who's like 5-10 years older than you is wise?".

i'm about to hit 34 and in no way does it bother me when a younger dude says i'm older. i am older. facts is facts. least you're asking for advice on things and making a thread that would allow some actual discussion different than most of the regular stuff on here.

Thank you for agreeing with me, I even had a discussion yesterday with my friend in real life about this (he's 38). He completely agrees that I did nothing wrong and that alot of people nowadays are sensitive and *kitten*. He says the people that make a big deal about it seem to be in denial with their own age. He knows he's an older man than me and he doesn't deny it nor is offended by it but does he give a *kitten*? No because he owns it and he looks good for his age (no homo). People always assume he's the same age as me anyway. People are just insecure about their own age and you say the word "Older", it's World War III. If I get to 35, he's gonna be 48, he's always going to be older than me but that doesn't change the fact we're not friends. And quite honestly I like being friends with older men.

WTF? IF? You should get there with little to no problem - providing you're medically sound. There is certainly no reason to think you won't!

I turn 29 next weekend. I assume the 91 in your name makes you 25/26 therefore I'd actually put myself in the same age category as you. I would say the last 3 years the biggest thing I have learned is how to budget for myself and family. I still f*** it up, often as I say, you're always learning.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I'm much older and very wise but I'm a lady and you only asked the guys so I'll keep my wisdom to myself. B)

Kudos to you for wanting insight from the more experienced. Some cats your age think they know it all.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Find what you love and make a career out of it. I know it's cliche, but that doesn't make it less true.

I would modify this a bit to be: do what you need to do to allow yourself to do things you are passionate about.

what i mean is, it doesn't have to be your career. i like my job, but it's not like my calling. but it does afford me time to write and play music on the side and also affords me time to be there for my family - those 2 things I am passionate about. if your passion is your work, then that's great. but if it's not your work, then you have to find a way to do those things and still make a living.
  • DasItMan91
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Dazzler21 wrote: »

I wish you all the best.

Thank you for agreeing with me, I even had a discussion yesterday with my friend in real life about this (he's 38). He completely agrees that I did nothing wrong and that alot of people nowadays are sensitive and *kitten*. He says the people that make a big deal about it seem to be in denial with their own age. He knows he's an older man than me and he doesn't deny it nor is offended by it but does he give a *kitten*? No because he owns it and he looks good for his age (no homo). People always assume he's the same age as me anyway. People are just insecure about their own age and you say the word "Older", it's World War III. If I get to 35, he's gonna be 48, he's always going to be older than me but that doesn't change the fact we're not friends. And quite honestly I like being friends with older men.

WTF? IF? You should get there with little to no problem - providing you're medically sound. There is certainly no reason to think you won't!

I turn 29 next weekend. I assume the 91 in your name makes you 25/26 therefore I'd actually put myself in the same age category as you. I would say the last 3 years the biggest thing I have learned is how to budget for myself and family. I still f*** it up, often as I say, you're always learning.

LOL yeah you're right, I meant to put when, not if. And yeah we're around the same generation but you're still older than me by like 4 years. There's a guy who's 29 years old on another website that gives some really good advice about relationships. Same with other guys on that website who are around my age. I do try to budget myself and I am normally a cheap guy but sometimes there are things that are expensive that I like to get. Plus I go out and chill and eat with friends at least 3-4 times a week so that adds up somewhat. I don't go to 5 star restaurants but I do like to have a good time and eat with a friend or friends at places with a reasonable cost.
  • DasItMan91
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    I'm much older and very wise but I'm a lady and you only asked the guys so I'll keep my wisdom to myself. B)

Kudos to you for wanting insight from the more experienced. Some cats your age think they know it all.

Exactly the bolded.

• Dazzler21
    edited May 2017
    Options
    No harm in spending whilst you're single, however it's always good to save a safety net amount.

Enough for 2 months rent/mortgage, bills and food is my recommendation.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I have lived my life in reverse... I have always felt "older" I used to tell my friends when I was 17 that I was a 40 year old trapped in a 17 year old body... back to living my life in reverse... after High school I had designs on becoming an architect... spend 10 more years in school... THEN... one day when I was 19 I took a job because I was sitting around doing nothing... not long after I found myself standing on a gravel road in the middle of nowhere... and it occurred to me... that the world needs ditch diggers.. and if that was going to be my fate.. then I was going to be the best ditch digger in the world... Like an earlier poster wrote.. I too have done things and seen things that would blow your mind... SO... I did what I loved for almost 17 years... became a "professional" driver, explosives expert... lived a nomadic existence... until as the story goes I became a man, and it was time to put away the toys and get on with my life... I got married... started a family... raised a beautiful intelligent daughter... and started working for a living... the way I see it... I retired out of high school because how can I say it was work when I loved what I did... isn't retirement where you step away from responsibilities and enjoy life? Well that was me before I got serious about my purpose...

I get what the OP said when he asked for Older people's advice... and offering the literal observation that yes... anyone born a day before him CAN and IS correctly older... people splitting hairs about being in a delineated age "group" and being offended by it? really?

to the OP... Be prepared... set stretch goals and every chance you get take a step towards them... life is a marathon not a sprint... at 18 I figured at some point in my life I was going to want to impress a "girl" by ordering a good bottle of wine... SO... I began teaching myself all about good wine...and great wine... I now collect Bordeaux's and have no problem picking the best wine off of any list...I knew I wanted a seat at the adults table... I can exhibit social grace and manners in ANY social setting... I went from digging ditches to managing transactions worth over 3 Billion Dollars in 20 years with little more than a High School education... I give advice to Lawyers and VP's of multinational Corporations because I am the best ditch digger I know...

Play the long game... be patient... teach yourself... and forgive everyone, be humble, "Be kind to all you meet for they too are fighting a hard battle" . Offer the same respect to the man holding his hand out on the corner, as you would the man signing your pay cheque... they both have something to offer you.

• Dazzler21
    Options
    That was a brilliant read Raven. Sounds like you learned a lesson at a young age and stuck to the path that came with it.

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Reproductive organs have nothing to do with the ability to give good advice.

The below quiz by 'experts' would disagree with you.
    It seems giving the correct answer automatically makes you a woman

Can We Guess Your Gender Based On 15 General Knowledge Questions
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Save for retirement as soon as possible. Experience what you want. Don't get married. Keep your money "your" money. Invest in things that have lasting value. Housing, stocks and mutual funds. Use your time wisely.
  • LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    Options

I wish you all the best.

Das not it mane. Just ignore emotional responses. I'm new here and I've noticed people here are extremely sensitive on this site, hence the potential for copy and paste response she sent to you. But you shouldn't have replied to her original comment, since women get offended by someone who is younger calling them older (since women are sensitive to things like that, age, looks, etc. and judging by women's responses in this thread.) 2000 posts on here and you haven't gotten this? Man
This discussion has been closed.