Food that made your diet much easier

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Foods that make it easier for me to stay at my calorie goals: shredded cabbage, hot sauce, Splenda, pickled okra, apple cider vinegar (as a salad dressing), jalapeno peppers, almond milk, mushrooms, toasted seaweed, butter lettuce, and zucchini noodles.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    For me it is more ignoring the foods that DONT help. For example, I simply don't have chips in the house when I am losing. I can not portion SOME foods-I must eat all of the chips and all of the dip. Instead, I eat popcorn when cutting, and enjoy chips when on maintenance (or the occasional splurge).

So popcorn helps me lose weight. Also Greek yogurt, cheese sticks, frozen veggies with honey mustard, huge salads, pickles. Basically anything that is thick or high protein or has a salty flavor or has lots of volume so that I can pretend I am full and do not want/need all of the chips o:)
  • PhoenyxRising
    PhoenyxRising Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've become the master at low-calorie foods that I can eat a lot of for those days when I want to eat everything in sight! Some of my favorites are: Halo Top ice cream (an entire pint for 280 calories..what?!), Sugar free Raspberry Viniagrette salad dressing (5 calories for 2 tbsp and it's delicious!), 100 calorie bags of popcorn, 80 calorie Dannon greek yogurt, Fiber One 90 calorie bars or brownies, broccoli, chicken breast, beef jerky, Progresso Light soups, 35 calorie a slice Country Kitchen wheat bread, Cheerios or Fiber One cereal with unsweetened almond milk, 100 calorie packs of almonds, and those little tuna salad kits with crackers that are 130 calories each.
  • markdouglas1956
    markdouglas1956 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    LOTS of water. Also, I like that the calories are so well marked on almost all foods. Also, a shout out to this site, it has been a wonderful learning experience, and recommend it to anyone that will listen!
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Chocolate and clif bars
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    What helps me stick with maintenance (and losing when I was doing that) is not eliminating or restricting my favorite foods. You can eat whatever you want, as long as it's within your calories. And if it's not, exercise to earn more calories. For example, I go for a long run and then I bake cookies when I get the craving. Works for me! I don't eat a lot of crap - most of what I consume is nutritious - but I do like my treats, and there's no reason to punish myself by completely denying all the good things in life. B)
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Almonds, jerky, and string cheese
  • ColoradoChlo
    ColoradoChlo Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with dark chocolate chips
  • ianisha
    ianisha Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar, not just weight loss, it helped with the stubborn belly fat too
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, white rice, pasta, and bread. Without them my diet would be doomed because I would be hungry all the time. They're also versatile and always work, no matter what I have or don't have I could always throw something together if I have one of these bases. In fact, with potatoes I don't even need anything except salt.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Egg whites
    Plain nonfat Greek yogurt
    Apples
    Special K protein cereal for mixing with Greek yogurt
    PB2
    Sugarfree pancake syrup
    Sugar-free Swiss Miss hot chocolate packets (I add one to a cup of coffee and it's insanely delicious for 25 cal)
    Venison
    Low carb/low cal wraps (like Tumaro's)
    Banana peppers make everything delicious
    Spinach
    Cabbage (and cabbage soup)
    Progresso light soups
    Cayenne pepper (making my food spicy makes it more satiating for me)
    Halo Top
    Coffee
    Tea that tastes like flowers (chamomile, lavender, jasmine)

Also, refusing to buy things I know will be a binge trigger.
  • Chaagy
    Chaagy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    CAN_LBB.jpg

This. I love sandwiches, but most bread is 100-120 cals per slice. That's like 200-240 cals for a sandwich + all the toppings. 2 slices of this is 110cals, and it tastes great, and leaves more room for topping calories!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If you have a habit of boredom eating when you are idle at home, then it could help to have some ~0-calorie items to nibble on (like cabbage, etc).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    yortem wrote: »
    What was that food item?

It's not really a single food item, but adding more fiber to my diet helped me immensely. That's about the only change I made. Fiber keeps me full longer.

Yes.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Soup. Very quick and easy to make in bulk and control calorie and macro content.. Very easy to make high fiber (add dried beans) so it is very filling and helps meets the fiber recommendation.
  • aeshippers
    aeshippers Posts: 416 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    What helps me stick with maintenance (and losing when I was doing that) is not eliminating or restricting my favorite foods. You can eat whatever you want, as long as it's within your calories. And if it's not, exercise to earn more calories. For example, I go for a long run and then I bake cookies when I get the craving. Works for me! I don't eat a lot of crap - most of what I consume is nutritious - but I do like my treats, and there's no reason to punish myself by completely denying all the good things in life. B)

This - but not cookies, cake and chocolate <3 (although I don't bake the chocolate, that would be weird)
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Oatbran with home cooked blueberries or plums
    2% fat Greek yoghurt - use a lot for marinades too
    Venison mince - great for chilli dishes and low fat but lots of protein
    Rye bread - very dense and filling
    Chicken
    Potatos
    Basmati rice
    Homemade chicken stock for soup bases
    Pork loin chops - eat half and have other cold with salad for lunch
    Duck fillet with no fat for Thai curries
    Brocolli, spinach, peas and kale
    All of these staples for me!
  • justkris_gettingfit
    justkris_gettingfit Posts: 239 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Fiber One Brownie Squares. Because I need something sweet after a bad day. Also drinking all my water helps kill those snacking thoughts.
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    lol at "all of them". Some people are just so good at moderation. Congrats.

I'm not.

Greek yogurt, halo top, vegetables, lean protein, diet soda, coffee, gum, fish, protein flavor drops, cocoa powder.

Haha, this! I see it all over the place and I'm here like, if I eat a muffin right now I'd be binging for the next week :D

What is new for me and really helps me is protein powder. I know it's not a "real" food, but since some people mentioned water... I used to think that it was only a thing for bodybuilders and the like, but without it I'd never be able to get enough protein for the day!