How much caffeine do you drink?

Replies

• avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    edited May 2017
    I have 3 small cups in the morning (with lavender tea in it- best way to wake up).

Throughout the day it depends on if I'm getting my nutrition goals or not. Busy days at work warrant an afternoon pour over to keep me going (can't eat if I'm busy with tourists).

I'm on a bulk right now and I feel like it helps me digest a little faster. I take in plenty of water too. Now the cokes with my rum at night? Those are pure pleasure and won't keep me up any later than without haha
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited May 2017
    @packerjohn interesting (and scary). I'm right at 3-4 regular brewed cups a day... @ValeriePlz fun fact about the antioxidants.
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    Just one cup of coffee is enough for me.
  • faysalubit
    faysalubit Posts: 272 Member
    One cup with milk n sugar
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    all
    43501 Posts: 85 Member
    How much caffeine do you drink and do you find it helps or hiders your weight loss (or other goals)? Does it interrupt your hunger in any good or bad ways? Has anyone got interesting caffeine stories? Coffee drinker here, three cups a day, no sleep issues but sometimes jittery, with much happier workouts after my first or second cup of the day.

2 espressos a day, though sometimes I'll swap one for an energy drink instead.

Espressos/coffee really curb my appetite, it's perfect to have when I finish a meal because the caffeine will kick in pretty quickly and it's sort of like a "okay, that's enough, that's the end of the meal" sort of thing. It really suppresses my urge to reach for things in between meals. Plus, I hear it helps digestion to a point.

Energy drinks do not have the same effect. I will still have an appetite and cravings with an energy drink.

I'm dicked up forever though because if I have any less than 1-2 espresso('s worth of coffee) every day I get blinding headaches, and if I have much more than that (3~4+?) I get super nauseous. I'm always consuming just the right amount to maintain some weird caffeine homeostasis.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    I usually drink between 2 and 3 cups of coffee a day. I find that if I drink too much, I start to get jittery and not feel great.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Somewhere between 250 and 450 mg daily. That's down quite a bit from what I used to consume
    43501 Posts: 85 Member
    csoriaa wrote: »
    I drink no more than two cups of coffe per day, the effect over my sense of hunger it's not so high, but I see a lot of people that drink soda (Dr. pepper, Coke, etc) it doesn't matter if it's diet or Zero, you will not loose weight if you drink soda (even diet). I started to lose a lot of weight once I stopped to drink diet soda.

Nonsense. I've lost over 200lbs I drink minimum 2 to 3 cans of coke zero a day.

Ya, gonna second MalkinMagic71. The claim that you can't lose weight because of diet soda is ridiculous and incontrovertible proof people don't know their biochemistry. Aspartame is completely non nutritive (non caloric). Diet sodas, while containing other stuff that isn't great for you, are only about as caloric as water. There's no hidden mechanism that it "tricks your body into not losing weight" or whatever other BS claims I've seen floating around.

Literally the only problem with diet sodas (in terms of weight loss only, I won't get into other claims) is that it can keep your mouth used to the taste of sweet things and possibly keep you craving/desiring sugary foods.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    I drink no more than two cups of coffe per day, the effect over my sense of hunger it's not so high, but I see a lot of people that drink soda (Dr. pepper, Coke, etc) it doesn't matter if it's diet or Zero, you will not loose weight if you drink soda (even diet). I started to lose a lot of weight once I stopped to drink diet soda.

Wrong. I lost 50lbs no problem while drinking 4-5 cans of diet soda a day. I'm now in maintenance and still drink 1-2 cans a day.
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    I drink 1/2 - 1 cup of coffee a day with breakfast. I can't drink it on an empty stomach, and if I work out in the morning I have to drink it afterwards. I get shaky if I drink it before. If I'm super tired in the afternoon I'll drink the other half in the afternoon. Can't have anything after 4 ish if I want to sleep at night. I could probably switch to decaf and not notice, honestly.

I must be super sensitive to coffee, but it does help suppress my appetite for the rest of the morning until lunch.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member

I have been drinking Diet Soda for years and no weight gain, maintaining perfect. I went on vacation one year and an older lady kept hassling me about drinking Diet Soda. She claimed that it will catch up with me and in a few years my waist line will increase. She was telling me this as she was guzzling down wine. Everyone has there right to enjoy what they like, I don't criticize others for what they choose to drink. If it works for you then great!
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    All the coffee
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    ChelzFit wrote: »
    I have been drinking Diet Soda for years and no weight gain, maintaining perfect. I went on vacation one year and an older lady kept hassling me about drinking Diet Soda. She claimed that it will catch up with me and in a few years my waist line will increase. She was telling me this as she was guzzling down wine.

I used to drink BigGulps of Diet Coke from 7-11 all the time in the summer. Never had a problem and it definitely didn't add to my weight (if anything, it curbed my appetite). It's the chips that I ate WITH the BigGulps that added to my weight. :p

I also don't think that aspartame is particularly dangerous and I still use it in my tea. (Although, a single packet is much less than is in a big diet soda.) I don't want to start a big debate about that, it's been done. Just search the board.

My only observation with Diet Coke is that it can be a bit hard on the stomach. I found the same thing with coffee, which was so bad that I quit it in my 20s. For me, this was most noticeable when I exercised hard (particularly in the pool) in the afternoon. All this has made me a tea-with-milk-and-equal guy, which seems a bit easier on the stomach.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    43501 wrote: »
    I'm dicked up forever though because if I have any less than 1-2 espresso('s worth of coffee) every day I get blinding headaches, and if I have much more than that (3~4+?) I get super nauseous. I'm always consuming just the right amount to maintain some weird caffeine homeostasis.

That's an awesome example of complete self awareness!

At least espresso tastes good and many studies of coffee say that its also good for digestion and many other things.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Caffeine is caffeine is caffeine. Not that many people have mentioned that you can buy it in pill or powder form. You can then make your own monster juice by adding it to, well, juice. People will treat you like a junkie, but there it is.