Fasting 28 days?

Options

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Sythfia wrote: »
    So, crisis averted? Hmm.

Pretty much. I'll see where this goes in the future tho and maybe if it happens again, get some help from doctors and such.

Thanks for being a good big sister. This isn't your responsibility but you are doing the right thing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,011 Member
    Options
    Wow.

Me when I woke up and went on my own thread.

To be fair to us, your original post was extremely incomplete.

I feel like someone asked me about headache remedies only to later disclose there was a brain tumor involved.
  • Sythfia
    Sythfia Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow.

This whole thread period. Your parents need to step up and be parents. This shouldn't be your battle to fight.

Read my other posts, they have been stepping up, I just created this topic for extra insight and such.
  • Abnersama
    Abnersama Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey Syth... Maybe it's a stretch but i'm going to gather both you and your brother are gamers (because of your picture of zelda on your profile photo) but if either of you do a lot of watching videos on YouTube, or he follows anyone in specific... Maybe he's doing it because he saw this guy's video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E484qiQXxzM

He could be taking this person "not eating for 28 days" as enough proof he could do it, too.
  • Sythfia
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Wow.

I feel like someone asked me about headache remedies only to later disclose there was a brain tumor involved.

I agree completely and I apologize. I should've been more clear on the matter.
  • alannacarl
    alannacarl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I saw the video that that youtuber made, it made me so angry because i knew young followers would want to do the same. It's so unhealthy. He even said his trainer told him to do it. It's extremely frustrating.
  • Sythfia
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Abnersama wrote: »
    Hey Syth... Maybe it's a stretch but i'm going to gather both you and your brother are gamers (because of your picture of zelda on your profile photo) but if either of you do a lot of watching videos on YouTube, or he follows anyone in specific... Maybe he's doing it because he saw this guy's video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E484qiQXxzM

He could be taking this person "not eating for 28 days" as enough proof he could do it, too.

No I'm more of the health guru in the family and I lift/exercise for the most part, I do like my games from time to time though. I always try to plant that mindset onto my lil brother. And yes that's the video. I've been educating him since last night that the video he saw isn't entirely a good idea, he's understanding a bit more and some of you guys post did help too, he saw a lot of people who disagrees with the idea of fasting for 28 days and your concerns in fact really did kind of help him.
  • Abnersama
    Abnersama Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    No I'm more of the health guru in the family and I lift/exercise for the most part, I do like my games from time to time though. I always try to plant that mindset onto my lil brother. And yes that's the video. I've been educating him since last night that the video he saw isn't entirely a good idea, he's understanding a bit more and some of you guys post did help too, he saw a lot of people who disagrees with the idea of fasting for 28 days and your concerns in fact really did kind of help him.

Good on you for looking out for your family and being a good sister. Not much else I can really say that hasn't already been said. Keep up the good work.

• Sythfia
    Options
    alannacarl wrote: »
    When I saw the video that that youtuber made, it made me so angry because i knew young followers would want to do the same. It's so unhealthy. He even said his trainer told him to do it. It's extremely frustrating.

Exactly.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Wow.

I have to agree here.
  • Sythfia
    Options
    Wow.

I have to agree here.

So do I and I apologize. Should've been more clear.
  • Sythfia
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Okay, guys again thank you for your insights and concerns. It really is appreciative and helpful. Also I apologize if I didn't fully been clear about the whole situation as this is a sensitive topic on my family's perspective, concerning other issues. So I didn't really want to disclose more details than already given. But I could've been a little bit more clear without bringing up some personal stuff in a roundabout way. Thank you guys again for the feedback and concerns. :smile:
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Glad it all worked out.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Wasn't joking about refeeding syndrome if he has truly been fasting.

Yeah I saw your original post and I agree completely, I told him about what you mentioned and what refeeding syndrome was, he did have some second thoughts but then proceeds to say he's done the research in fasting and nothing will happen to him. But thank you, I'll be sure to push the topic a bit more.

I wonder what research he found that says this is a good idea. I mean, Muslims fast from sun up to sun down for 30 days Ramadan, but the can eat after sun down. My friends who do this say it's very difficult, especially when it falls in the summer months. He most likely won't last two days. Regardless, he's a minor and his parents can be checked into the hospital and given a feeding tube without his consent if he insists on starving himself.
  • new_arc87
    new_arc87 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't remember which organs are likely to shut down first, but you may want to start shopping for caskets...

Fifteen year olds aren't usually very smart, but your brother takes the cake. Stop him if you care about him.