What got you motivated to loose weight?

Options

Replies

• tanyamorin92708
    tanyamorin92708 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That is great that your friends are their for you to get motivated. I just wish I had some friends that were in the same perdicament that I am
  • tanyamorin92708
    tanyamorin92708 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What have you been doing besides watching what you are eating?
  • busy91
    busy91 Posts: 15
    Options
    1st small motivator was seeing a picture of myself. I knew I was big, and I've been a yo-yo person. But this time I saw it and got depressed. Then I finally went to the doctor after 4 years (didn't have medical insurance), and although most of my bloodwork came back fine, my 'sugar' was slightly elevated. I have always had high cholesterol, so I wasn't surprised by that, but diabetes runs in my family, so that scared me somewhat. That was all the motivation I needed to get on the wagon this time and keep my butt on it.
  • jgal86
    jgal86 Posts: 77
    Options
    I found that I was just sick and tired of feeling sick and tired all the time.
  • truelove7
    truelove7 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This photo:
    21e97130-084e-49e1-abca-8d1339bb18e6_zpsfe2bcc26.jpg

I didn't think I was "that big" before...seeing this pic was a real life changing experience! I don't know who that girl is and I never want to see her again!
  • JohnMatrix
    JohnMatrix Posts: 59
    Options
    The mirror.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    The mirror...and the nightmares it brought.

8488541.png
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My 20 year high school reunion picture motivated me to lose those extra pounds in time for my 25th year reunion. Success!!
  • QuirkyD
    QuirkyD Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I want to lose because who wants to be fat, but that said, this is not enough motivation to keep me going. I joined a weekly weight-loss support group which has helped immensely! I have very low self esteem which means I need a little something more than just myself. If my brain tells me that I am not good enough than I cannot trust it to make good eating choices. Now I use the "community" on here and that is rounding out my support network. Good luck!
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I was getting more sick, on border diabetic, under active thyroid and pain everywhere...my motivation is one of kitchen's draws full of tramadol..I couldn't live without pain killers till february 2013. lost 61 lbs since and didnt need one single painkiller
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I have diabetes and had a high A1c level in January. Decided it was time to do something about it. Also, my first grandson was born in December just before Christmas and I want to be around to watch him grow up!
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What got me motivated was that I had planned on getting WLS .

So I stopped drinking soda on June 3rd in preparation ,knowing that if I can't stop before the surgery then there was no way I could get the surgery . I had not planned on trying to eat healthy at all ,but that's what happened. I kept thinking to myself Oh My God ! I want to cut my stomach out ! As I served my food I ate better and less than I did before . I started exercising and about a week later an aquaintence of mine turned me on to MFP . I still think about that every once in a while though (That I was going to cut my stomach out because I was so unhappy about my weight) It keeps me grounded.
    I like my stomach right where it is.....

Amy

I went to the Dr on Jan 3rd and had H Pylori again. I got on the scale and was devastated. I knew I was fat. But I had no idea how out of control it had gotten. I was at my breaking point. I started researching WLS as well. Decided which one I wanted and even booked the consultation. My dear sweet husband, said "Try to do this on your own first. Try just one more time. Set your goal and if you don't reach it by the end of the year then we'll talk about it again. Please don't do this now." I wanted the surgery. I didn't want the option of failure. I wanted to be forced to eat less. My consultation appointment was 3 weeks out and I had researched the presurgery diet. I thought to myself, if they can eat like they for 2-3 weeks before surgery why can I not change my eating habits. Maybe I can. Maybe I don't have to be defeated. Then I thought. "Holy *kitten*, I'm seriously wanting to cut out over half my stomach!!!" That's when I set the goal of 65lbs in a year. Then I busted my *kitten* to make it happen. I've lost 73lbs in the past 7 months proving to myself that obesity will not defeat me. I will not fall victim to the health problems that plague my family due to obesity and most importantly I will not make my children watch me slowly kill myself. I will not do it. I'm 35 lbs from goal. I'm so glad I didn't go through with the WLS. I didn't even go to the consultation. I still get emails from the clinic from time to time asking me to reschedule. I've told them I'm no longer a candidate. :happy:
  • mayonie1
    mayonie1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My hubby passes funny comments about me being a fatty and that got me motivated to show him that a mother of 2 can look sexy too.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    What got me to loose weight was a variety of reasons

1. My father had a heart transplant few years ago and 2 years before he died (due to a stroke by a knee replacement) he was in and out of clevand hospital and doctor offices several times a month. THis was only a couple years after he retired.

2. My wife started going to the gym and I stayed home sitting on computer playing MMORPGs(among other things) and eating pizza drinking regular soda (a lot of it) well thats a recipe for marriage disaster

3. I started going and loosing becouse I did not want to loose her. I continue to go for myself and my kids I like being able to go to the dunes and climb all those stairs and not get winded like 99 percent of the other adults. I like being able to go the the water park with my kids and carry the tube all they way to the top without looking like im gonna pass out like 75 percent of the other adults.

4. I like the way I feel after my workout. I like the way I look. I no longer play MMORPGs (no time) and no longer really spend any time on the computer other than work. Heck Our computer took a dump at home 2 months ago I dont even miss it. Course all my email comes to my phone also and if I need to have access to the iternet i got it on my phone.

5. My wife and I are happier then weve ever been and are closer than ever we still have some things to deal with but things are good.
  • annmarie279
    Options
    My graduation and gaining 3 stone at uni ! Can't wait to come back in November as see everyone and they be shocked at the difference !!
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I had continuing education in November and learned the average age of cardiac arrest that my agency responds to is 44. I just turned 43 this week. I decided it was time to get my blood pressure under control, change my eating and coffee habits and get moving.
  • Filatina
    Filatina Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Honestly..... I never was at a point where I hated myself or thought I was fat. I was in denial. I signed up for this site just to check it out and because my friend had told me how she uses it to help her...After that I just decided to log my intake everyday, slowly started adding in exercise and the rest is history...I took baby steps and started to set short term and long term weight loss goals. I also invested in a fitbit calorie counter/pedometer and got a lot of my friends and family involved. It started to feel like a game/challenge....Here I am 1 and a half years later of being on this site... - 50 lbs and going.... :)
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I stopped fitting in my clothes and I refuse to buy bigger clothes. :-/
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The fact that there are no clothes that fit me, here. That may sound like a vain reason, but seriously, had I gained any more, I couldn't wear any of my clothes or get more, and I don't know what I'd have done. You can't just walk out of the house with no clothes on.
  • sirtxt
    sirtxt Posts: 39
    Options
    To tell the truth, it is my enjoyment of the HOT CARDIO you have in the bedroom. I just did not have the stamina/ endurance anymore. I was questioning my male virility, not to mention just missing out on all of that FUN. I am not a player, so lets not go down that path. I am just being honest about what motivated me.

Personally, I think one of the main contributing factors to the "negative" or "self defeated" mindset comes from overweight is not being able to enjoy that HOT CARDIO.

It sure makes me feel GOOD and ready to keep GOING!!!

LOL