Options
1789101113»

Replies

• pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You go boy! Wow!
    saheel97 wrote: »
    I'm considering cutting sugar completely out from my diet. For the past three weeks that I've been dieting, I've cut down a ton because I'm no longer drinking fraps and other junk *kitten* every day and it hasn't felt like that much of a burden. Has anyone else gone sugar-free entirely? What effects have you noticed? The only thing now I feel like would affect me is the fact that I would have to cut fruits out which is rather disappointing.

• ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I eat an apple a day and a hard boiled egg for breakfast everyday for the past 375 days now...so maybe that apple is to much sugar.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Dietary changes for cancer treatment would be an interesting topic for the debate section...

No, it really wouldn't...

Dietary changes for cancer treatment would be an interesting topic for the debate section...

Agreed.
    cmtigger wrote: »

No- that should only be between a medical doctor and a patient.

No, it really wouldn't. Actually, any "food as medicine" subject is best left between someone and their doctor. Any other discussion devolves into something that has overtones caught between the fervency of belief on one hand and the ugliness of victim blaming on the other and is best left never having happened.
    The fact that people will even mention cancer and food as treatment concerns me.

Unless you're an oncologist with that persons file in front of you, you should not be providing "advice"

Every case in very different and not eating fruit is never the treatment.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Unless you're an oncologist with that persons file in front of you, you should not be providing "advice"

So much this.

Huh. These responses really surprised me. I would think people would want to be aware of possible dietary measures that they could take to help beat, or avoid, cancer. Try to improve your odds of a good recovery. Doctors don't know it all and they are often unable to suggest things that may help if it has not been officially approved. I think completely trusting your doctor with your life can be risky. People often benefit by taking some responsibility for their health.

I have a very treatable cancer right now but I still went searching for possible lifestyle changes that I could implement to help myself - get a bit of an advantage. Something to supplement treatment and make recurrence less likely. That included diet.

I don't mean to try radically dangerous diets, or trying things your doctor specifically said no to. Dietary treatments would compliment other treatments.

Each to their own.

I'm sorry to hear you have cancer.

Surely, being in that position, you can understand that not all cancer is the same.

I'm going to try to tread kindly here, but frankly, I find your post here offensive. Assuming that because people don't want to have this discussion that they are just blind sheeple is quite the leap of logic.

Each case is individual and every person has to deal with their own disease in their own way, researching dietary and lifestyle changes and discussing them with their doctor on their own with the particular type of cancer they have factoring into their ultimate choices/options.

The debate forum isn't the place to discuss this. It's all too individuals depending on what's going on with each person who might be facing a cancer diagnosis to get into, and having a discussion about it would really be pointless.

I would agree. I also cringe a little at the suggestion that doctors know there are diet changes you can make to fight cancer, but "are unable to suggest it" because it's not the official protocol. Oncologists live and die with their patients, and many have non-patient family and friends who battle cancer, and the idea that they are keeping secrets that could prolong or save lives is absurd. Besides, many doctors discuss or prescribe off-label treatment options. If there was any reasonable proof that eliminating sugar or carbs could aid the fight against cancer, many doctors would be suggesting it at the least.
    I know of a cancer patient whose doctor told him he "could eat whatever he wanted" after he went through treatment. For patients who either don't have much knowledge of nutrition or don't care that much about what they eat, IMO I would consider that dangerous advice. I don't think the doctor was intentionally trying to mislead him, but there were certainly some missing pieces when it comes to dietary advice.

FWIW, that particular cancer patient did have his cancer return not long after his first treatment.

FWIW, there's nothing beyond correlation studies with any dietary approach wrt cancer, so a doctor telling a patient to eat whatever they want is as valid as a doctor telling a patient to cram in as many fruits and vegetables as possible or a doctor telling a patient to go keto.

The fact of the matter is that for a lot of cancer patients (thinking of my mom's experience), food is a difficult subject because chemo is HELL on the appetite, and just keeping anything down is a major victory.

So honestly, throwing your story out there about how the cancer reoccurred because the person ate "whatever" is a prime example of WHY this discussion doesn't belong on these boards.

"Cancer" is a singular word encompassing a breadth of experiences so diverse that grouping them together and trying to talk about them as if they're all the same is ridiculous.
    I did not say that his cancer reoccurred because of his diet. But I think it's fair to say that for a lot of people out there who don't care much about their diet, that advice could certainly translate to a patient eating nothing but junk food. That's not to say a doctor would ever recommend that, but if I as a patient don't take much regard about nutrition, then I can take that statement and just eat however I want.

Ah yes, "eat what you want = only junk food". Obviously.
    You have enough knowledge of nutrition to not take that statement to mean that. But what if I don't care about what I eat and how it affects my health???
    I mean yes, a lot of people have enough knowledge and discipline to interpret that statement appropriately. But you can't expect every single cancer patient to automatically think the same way.

When I was 16, my diet was high in low nutrient dense food (except high fiber foods), and I ate a very small amount of fruits and vegetables. I ate that way because it brought a lot of pleasure to me, and I did not think about the consequences that would bring. Surely, I can't be the only person out there like that…
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Agreed.

No, it really wouldn't. Actually, any "food as medicine" subject is best left between someone and their doctor. Any other discussion devolves into something that has overtones caught between the fervency of belief on one hand and the ugliness of victim blaming on the other and is best left never having happened.
    The fact that people will even mention cancer and food as treatment concerns me.

So much this.

Huh. These responses really surprised me. I would think people would want to be aware of possible dietary measures that they could take to help beat, or avoid, cancer. Try to improve your odds of a good recovery. Doctors don't know it all and they are often unable to suggest things that may help if it has not been officially approved. I think completely trusting your doctor with your life can be risky. People often benefit by taking some responsibility for their health.

I have a very treatable cancer right now but I still went searching for possible lifestyle changes that I could implement to help myself - get a bit of an advantage. Something to supplement treatment and make recurrence less likely. That included diet.

I don't mean to try radically dangerous diets, or trying things your doctor specifically said no to. Dietary treatments would compliment other treatments.

Each to their own.

Surely, being in that position, you can understand that not all cancer is the same.

I'm going to try to tread kindly here, but frankly, I find your post here offensive. Assuming that because people don't want to have this discussion that they are just blind sheeple is quite the leap of logic.

Each case is individual and every person has to deal with their own disease in their own way, researching dietary and lifestyle changes and discussing them with their doctor on their own with the particular type of cancer they have factoring into their ultimate choices/options.

The debate forum isn't the place to discuss this. It's all too individuals depending on what's going on with each person who might be facing a cancer diagnosis to get into, and having a discussion about it would really be pointless.

I would agree. I also cringe a little at the suggestion that doctors know there are diet changes you can make to fight cancer, but "are unable to suggest it" because it's not the official protocol. Oncologists live and die with their patients, and many have non-patient family and friends who battle cancer, and the idea that they are keeping secrets that could prolong or save lives is absurd. Besides, many doctors discuss or prescribe off-label treatment options. If there was any reasonable proof that eliminating sugar or carbs could aid the fight against cancer, many doctors would be suggesting it at the least.
    I know of a cancer patient whose doctor told him he "could eat whatever he wanted" after he went through treatment. For patients who either don't have much knowledge of nutrition or don't care that much about what they eat, IMO I would consider that dangerous advice. I don't think the doctor was intentionally trying to mislead him, but there were certainly some missing pieces when it comes to dietary advice.

FWIW, that particular cancer patient did have his cancer return not long after his first treatment.

I survived stage III (advanced) breast cancer. I watched my mother die in a residential hospice from stage IV breast cancer. I cared for my husband at home, as he died from terminal esophageal cancer at age 45. I say this not to seek sympathy, but to illustrate that I have some practical experience. Still, I'm an ignorant amateur.

Some things I do know:
    • For some patients, appetite is severely suppressed, and the paramount nutritional goal is simply to get them to consume any calories they'll accept, to keep them off the slippery slope toward cachexia for as long as possible. Their doctor will tell them to eat "whatever they want".
    • At certain stages of certain cancers, the die is already cast. Nothing will change the terminal diagnosis. To hector these people to improve their way of eating simply increases their stress level and further degrades the quality of their remaining life. Their doctor will tell them to eat "whatever they want".
    • For some patients during chemotherapy or radiation treatments, food may become physically difficult to consume due to nausea/vomiting, mouth sores, thrush, metallic taste, opiate-induced constipation, severe heartburn, etc. Unless there's a clear medical benefit in the short run for some specific diet, their doctor may well tell them to eat "whatever they want", or at least whatever they can tolerate.
    • For a lucky percentage of patients, conventional good nutrition or a speciaized diet may be helpful (though the benefit is often more assumed than proven). In these cases, a good doctor is likely to provide printed information, web references, or referral to an RD. Even so, foods we'd consider healthy may be restricted. (For example, I was told not to eat any raw fruit or vegetable, unless it was one that could be peeled, during 6 months of chemotherapy. This is because the bacterial load of things like salads may overwhelm a compromised immune system.)

I don't know much, but I know enough to recognize that it would be ignorant of me to opine that a doctor is giving "dangerous advice" in a case I know little about.

This is way off topic. OP, I apologize to you for that. I thought about this overnight, and decided I just couldn't let it lie.
    First off, given the situations you have been in, I respect your position in this.

I may not have made it clear in my initial post, but the cancer patient I was referring to would have been considered a survivor at the point when the doctor made that statement.

But I do understand what you are saying - the context has to be considered.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ETA:
    "Dr. Josh Axe, DNM, DC, CNS is a certified doctor of natural medicine, doctor of chiropractic and clinical nutritionist with a passion to help people get healthy by using food as medicine."

https://draxe.com/about-dr-josh-axe/

In other words, another quack with books/products to sell. A naturopath isn't an MD, and a clinical nutritionist isn't a registered dietician. And anybody who claims that a ketogenic diet can cure cancer is a quack of the highest order IMO.

I wouldn't go to a podiatrist for a vasectomy, and I wouldn't go to a chiropractor for diet advice. Especially a chiropractor who's also a naturopath making unsubstantiated claims about how diets relate to your health.

ETA: Here's a bit of what actual, real science (not naturopathic/chiropractic woo) has to say about the role of keto diets in cancer treatment:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28353094?dopt=Abstract

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28366810

[sarcasm font] Thanks for editing my post [/sarcasm font] to make it look as though I was offering his bio as some sort of proof of his credibility.

Not at all my intention. Sorry you took it as such.

Thank you for clearing that up. Sorry I misunderstood.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through this entire comment stream. I don't think removing ALL SUGAR from you diet is a good idea. We actually need some sugar. I have taken the approach of avoiding added sugar from my diet and have managed to keep them below 14 grams per day on average. Most days much less than that. I am not avoiding naturally occurring sugars. There are naturally occurring sugars in most fruits, some vegetables and in most dairy products. You need the nutrients in those foods.

I think trying to eliminate any "food" or substance from a diet entirely is a bad idea. Most people can do it for awhile but not forever. These fasts usually end in an ugly binge.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Just to point out, my concern about diet and cancer is that sometimes it's treated as a substitute for medical treatment instead of a supplement to it. The thought that if someone eats the right combination of foods their cancer will go away.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ann262 wrote: »
    I haven't read through this entire comment stream. I don't think removing ALL SUGAR from you diet is a good idea. We actually need some sugar. I have taken the approach of avoiding added sugar from my diet and have managed to keep them below 14 grams per day on average. Most days much less than that. I am not avoiding naturally occurring sugars. There are naturally occurring sugars in most fruits, some vegetables and in most dairy products. You need the nutrients in those foods.

I think trying to eliminate any "food" or substance from a diet entirely is a bad idea. Most people can do it for awhile but not forever. These fasts usually end in an ugly binge.

Just wanted to point out that humans don't actually need dietary sugar.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options

Agreed.

So much this.

Each to their own.

FWIW, there's nothing beyond correlation studies with any dietary approach wrt cancer, so a doctor telling a patient to eat whatever they want is as valid as a doctor telling a patient to cram in as many fruits and vegetables as possible or a doctor telling a patient to go keto.

The fact of the matter is that for a lot of cancer patients (thinking of my mom's experience), food is a difficult subject because chemo is HELL on the appetite, and just keeping anything down is a major victory.

So honestly, throwing your story out there about how the cancer reoccurred because the person ate "whatever" is a prime example of WHY this discussion doesn't belong on these boards.

"Cancer" is a singular word encompassing a breadth of experiences so diverse that grouping them together and trying to talk about them as if they're all the same is ridiculous.
    I did not say that his cancer reoccurred because of his diet. But I think it's fair to say that for a lot of people out there who don't care much about their diet, that advice could certainly translate to a patient eating nothing but junk food. That's not to say a doctor would ever recommend that, but if I as a patient don't take much regard about nutrition, then I can take that statement and just eat however I want.

Ah yes, "eat what you want = only junk food". Obviously.
    You have enough knowledge of nutrition to not take that statement to mean that. But what if I don't care about what I eat and how it affects my health???
    I mean yes, a lot of people have enough knowledge and discipline to interpret that statement appropriately. But you can't expect every single cancer patient to automatically think the same way.

When I was 16, my diet was high in low nutrient dense food (except high fiber foods), and I ate a very small amount of fruits and vegetables. I ate that way because it brought a lot of pleasure to me, and I did not think about the consequences that would bring. Surely, I can't be the only person out there like that…

I really didn't eat much "unhealthy" food. I consumed large quantities of starchy foods (used to slather naan with margarine, sprinkle with garlic powder, and heat. Then repeat about 3 times. Dunked vegetables in chipotle dip until I either ran out of vegetables or ran out of dip. And the dip came in 1-cup containers.) Sure, I also consumed more cake and ice cream than I do now... but it was mostly high-calorie non-junk food that put me where I was when I started MFP.
  • NEHusker385
    NEHusker385 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ETA:
    "Dr. Josh Axe, DNM, DC, CNS is a certified doctor of natural medicine, doctor of chiropractic and clinical nutritionist with a passion to help people get healthy by using food as medicine."

https://draxe.com/about-dr-josh-axe/

In other words, another quack with books/products to sell. A naturopath isn't an MD, and a clinical nutritionist isn't a registered dietician. And anybody who claims that a ketogenic diet can cure cancer is a quack of the highest order IMO.

I wouldn't go to a podiatrist for a vasectomy, and I wouldn't go to a chiropractor for diet advice. Especially a chiropractor who's also a naturopath making unsubstantiated claims about how diets relate to your health.

ETA: Here's a bit of what actual, real science (not naturopathic/chiropractic woo) has to say about the role of keto diets in cancer treatment:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28353094?dopt=Abstract

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28366810

Dr. Axe doesn't boast about the ability to "cure cancer," with dietary changes. He merely shares what he has witnessed work in regards to helping his mom fight cancer. He even states all this. I like him, I've been eating cleaner lately than I have in my entire life because of him and the GI issues I suffer from, and so far, I've felt better than I have in 2 decades. Im happier, Im more energetic, I don't suffer for hours on a toilet or have to feel rectal incontinence... so something must be working. My degree is also in biology and I have researched the GAPS diet and from what I know, a lot of his stuff in regards to clean eating and the way it affects our bodies makes sense. Just saying.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    https://draxe.com/10-natural-cancer-treatments-hidden-cures
    I love how he says he's not claiming it cures cancer, while the link and the story clearly do. It's called "covering your heiny while reeling in the gullible/desperate".
    J72FIT wrote: »
    If the ketogenic cured and or prevented cancer it would be breaking news worldwide, and be on the cover of every newspaper and magazine...

This breakthrough is clearly being suppressed by Big Pharma. <nods>

/sarcasm

Yep, they've strong-armed and paid off every oncologist, cancer nurse navigator, lab researcher, etc who has ever lived! :naughty:
  • NEHusker385
    NEHusker385 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @johnwelk I'm sorry you feel this way. I never said I believe in every word but I do feel a lot of the physiology written in the book makes sense. Are you in the medical field?