Maintainers weekly Check-in June 2017

Options

Replies

• b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,015 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @girlgroves - you are inspiring! Happy 1 year maintain-iversary!! :)

Name: b3achy / beachy
    Height: 5'3"
    Total Weight lost: ~25 lbs
    Time it took to lose: 8 months
    How long in maintenance: Since mid-January 2017 (5 months ago)
    Maintenance weight range: ~120-125 lbs, for now (shooting for an eventual range of 115-120 lbs =~30 lb total loss)

Average weight recorded from January: 123.2 lbs
    Average weight recorded from February: 122.1 lbs
    Average weight recorded from March: 121.4 lbs
    Average weight recorded from April: 122.4 lbs
    Average weight recorded from May: 120.6 lbs

Week of...(I weigh for record on Fridays)...
    29 May (2 June): 120.8 lbs (Trending 121.53 lbs)
    5 June (9 June): 123.0 lbs (Trending 122.42 lbs)
    12 June (16 June): 123.2 lbs (Trending 122.92 lbs)
    19 June (23 June):
    26 June (30 June):

Successes/challenges of this week:
    Successes:
    - Got to the gym 2 days this week for weight lifting and have paddled two days. Starting to increase some of my weights.
    - Successfully moderated my alcohol intake this week (personal decision to reduce my daily alcohol consumption, though it's resulting in an increase in my candy intake daily - hey, nobody's perfect).
    Challenges:
    - Weight is still trending up (but still in current range). Really would prefer to see it drop below 120 lbs for the summer. Need to tighten up my eating and my exercise.
    - Race last Saturday was cancelled due to weather (rolling thunderstorms). Did paddle a little between storms (about a mile total). Walked a lot. Drove 6 hours round trip, and probably ate and drank too much since we didn't have the race to burn the calories...but the seafood and bbq was soooo good!
  • bringbackthejoy
    bringbackthejoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Happy anniversary @girlgroves
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Name: Jen
    Height: 5'2.5"
    Total Weight lost:140lbs
    Time it took to lose: 2.75yrs
    How I lost it: My story
    How long in maintenance : I declared it at 140 in January 2016, but that was too high for a petite lady. Redeclared it 4/14/17.
    Maintenance weight range: Would like to stay under 125 at morning weigh-in.
    Ongoing struggle: I still need to learn to trust my body cues, be content with eating just enough, and stop asking food to be more than just fuel. Life after work is just filled with getting steps and eating food to fill my evening. Really need to make peace with having fewer cals to work with. Contentment and an attitude of gratitude (and maybe a hobby) are the order of the day. (Update: I am taking a class in sign language for work, but I think I might go further with it than just the basics that my job requires.)

January avg weight: 126.8lbs
    February avg weight: 126.1lbs
    March avg weight: 124.6lbs
    April avg weight: 122.9lbs
    May avg weight: 123.4lbs

Week of...
    26th May: 123.1lbs
    2nd June: 123.1lbs
    9th June: 122.8lbs
    9th June: 121.9lbs

TW61617.jpg

Successes of the week: Kept my sodium down and my steps up.

Challenges of the week: A few compulsive snatch and grab eating moments this week. So frustrating how you can destroy a lot of hard work and discipline with a moment of weakness and self-justification. Meh. Was trying to lose a bit ahead of my anniversary and the 4th of July, but I guess I will play catch-up after the fact instead. (No banking this week as I have a big hike coming up and want my glycogen available.)

• mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Up a pound 117#. Still underweight for my height, but it is a little scary gaining. Will it stop? Looked at a year ago and was 114#. The saga continues...
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Name: Trina
    Total Weight lost: 50ish lbs. (fluctuations)
    Height: 5'2.5"/medium frame/67 yo
    Time it took to lose: 15 months
    How long in maintenance: 2 years, 4 months
    Maintenance weight range: 128 - 132

Average weight recorded from January: 130.3
    Average weight recorded from February: 130.5
    Average weight recorded from March: 130.3.
    Average weight recorded from April: 130.6
    Average weight recorded from May: 130.1

Week of...
    4th June: 130.4
    11th June: 130.6
    18th June: 131.6
    25th June:

Success/struggles of the week: Arrg! I knew I shouldn't have had that pizza last week. Trending up by a pound. I guess I've found my real maintenance calories -- around 1850ish. Anything above that and I trend up; time to cut a bit again. @mk2fit I feel your pain. Almost 2.5 years into maintenance and still have to watch every morsel that goes into my mouth. Pity party for me; boo.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Name: Brenda
    Height: 5' 3"
    Starting Weight: 194
    Goal Weight: 130
    Total Weight lost: 64 lb
    Time it took to lose: 9 months
    How long in maintenance: 3 weeks
    Maintenance weight range: 125-135 lbs

June 3rd: 129
    June 10th: 127.6
    June 17th: 129.6
  • stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Name: Stephen
    Height: 6'2"
    Total Weight lost: 80 lb
    Time it took to lose: 12 months
    How long in maintenance: 5 months
    Maintenance weight range: 180-185 lb

Average weight recorded from January: 184.7 lb
    Average weight recorded from February: 182.7 lb
    Average weight recorded from March: 182.5 lb
    Average weight recorded from April: 183.1 lb
    Average weight recorded from May: 182.4 lb

Week of...
    5th June: 181.6 lb
    12th June: 181.1 lb
    19th June: 181.0 lb
    26th June: [/quote]
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Name: Christo
    Height: 170cm
    Starting weight: 162kg
    Goal Weight 100kg
    Total Weight lost: 61kg
    Time it took to lose: 3.5 years
    How long in maintenance: 2 months
    Maintenance weight range: 101kg

Average weight recorded from January:
    Average weight recorded from February:
    Average weight recorded from March: 100.2kg
    Average weight recorded from April: 99.95kg
    Average weight recorded from May: 102.3kg

Week of...
    5th June: 100.7kg
    12th June: 102.7kg
    19th June: 101.2kg
    26th June: (on Friday)

Success/struggles of the week: We had a long weekend and my wife was tired of sitting at home so we went out with friends from Thursday to Saturday, not being able to track my calories properly. By Sunday I just couldn't gaf anymore so didnt track either. I'm back on the wagon today though.

Even though I picked up some weight while we were on vacation my measurements still went down so that is good.
  • bringbackthejoy
    bringbackthejoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Name: BBJoy.
    Height: 5'6.5
    Total Weight lost: 33lbs
    Time it took to lose: 5 months
    How long in maintenance: Brand new
    Maintenance weight range: 115-120

Average weight recorded from January: 148
    Average weight recorded from February: 141
    Average weight recorded from March: 133
    Average weight recorded from April: 128
    Average weight recorded from May: 122

Week of...
    5th June: 116.6
    12th June: 113.8
    19th June: 115.6
    26th June:

Success/struggles of the week:

Was sick last week and fell off a lot of the aspects so I need to tighten up the logging and make sure that I exercise more this week. I will be at the beach a lot this summer so need to make certain that I make daily exercise a habit here as much as at home. Friends at the house this weekend too much was had of everything. But its monday and I will begin this week anew.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    Name: Kathryn
    Height: 5'3.5"
    Total Weight lost: ~70 lbs (I dropped about 10 lbs below original goal)
    Time it took to lose: 10 months (to original goal)
    How long in maintenance: since July 2016
    Maintenance weight range: 124 - 128 lbs

Average weight recorded from January: 127.1
    Average weight recorded from February: 126.5
    Average weight recorded from March: 126.2
    Average weight recorded from April: 124.9
    Average weight recorded from May: 124.9

Week of...
    5th June: 122.8 scale/124.0 trend
    12th June: 123.2 scale/123.4
    19th June: 121.6 scale/123.0 trend
    26th June:

Success/struggles of the week: I still seem to be trending down a little below my range. I know that the solution is to eat more, but that is easier said than done. I guess I need to trust that I am really burning this many calories even though my fitbit says I am burning less than I am eating. If I don't go over my calories every day then I lose weight, but it messes with my head to always be in the red and be over what I "should" be eating. I'm a little afraid to stop logging. Partly I'm afraid that I will keep losing since I often eat just because I need calories and not because I am hungry. And the other part of me is afraid that if I stop logging I will start gaining again. I guess as long as I am not underweight I am going to try not to worry about it. I was just really hoping that I would be able to get to maintenance and not have to be so concerned about how many calories I ate each day.
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Name: Julie
    Height: 5'8"
    Total Weight lost: 136 lbs
    Time it took to lose: 2 years
    How long in maintenance: 7 days
    Maintenance weight range: 165-170

Average weight recorded from January:191.6
    Average weight recorded from February:182
    Average weight recorded from March:178
    Average weight recorded from April:174.2
    Average weight recorded from May:167.8

Week of...
    5th June: 166.6
    12th June: 165 GOAL REACHED!
    19th June: 163.4
    26th June:

Success of the week--With the increased calories now, my energy was just through the roof this week. Just an amazing feeling. Ran my first nonstop 5k (on the treadmill, not a race).

Struggles of the week--Not sure where maintenance is yet, calorie-wise. I still lost 1.5 lbs this week at much higher calories (1900 up from 1200) so I haven't hit it. The obvious answer is to eat more calories but I but I'm TERRIFIED of eating too much and gaining back, and I will be crossing over into eating when I'm not hungry, so not sure how to balance all that. This journey has been much more of a psychological battle than I ever imagined.

Here's my story, since I'm new to this thread, if you want to see my journey in pics. :smile:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10566123/goal-reached-135-lbs-down-please-be-encouraged-if-you-have-100-to-lose/p1
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Name:Fidan
    Height: 171cm
    Total Weight lost: 48kg
    Time it took to lose: 1 year
    How long in maintenance: 1year 1 month
    Maintenance weight range: 73.3kg and below

Average weight recorded from January: 72.8kg
    Average weight recorded from February: 72.3kg
    Average weight recorded from March: 72.7kg
    Average weight recorded from April:72.5kg
    Average weight recorded from May:72.7kg

Week of...
    5th June: 73.8kg
    12th June: 73.4kg
    19th June: 73.4kg
    26th June:

Success/struggles of the week:
    I've clocked in 10k steps only once this week. Better than nothing I guess. It's the last week of fast, I hope to be more active next month as I'm going away in August and I want a heads up before the holiday mentality kicks in. I need to bring down my average a little because I'm hovering around the red.
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart - I'm not entirely convinced that Fitbits are completely accurate! I had the opposite problem - I ate the calories that my Fitbit was telling me that I was burning, linked it to MFP and was very happy with the increased number of calories I was getting to eat..... but my weight trended upwards the entire time! So I know my Fitbit overestimates my calorie burn. There's no better data than your own tried and tested numbers - I've even been able to calculate how much over my Fitbit is estimating from my own numbers (but then I am a bit of a data nerd!). I've now manually set my daily calorie target into MFP and unlinked the Fitbit - I still use it constantly - just not to calculate my calories in! Good luck in working it out.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,015 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Name: Kathryn
    Height: 5'3.5"
    Total Weight lost: ~70 lbs (I dropped about 10 lbs below original goal)
    Time it took to lose: 10 months (to original goal)
    How long in maintenance: since July 2016
    Maintenance weight range: 124 - 128 lbs

Average weight recorded from January: 127.1
    Average weight recorded from February: 126.5
    Average weight recorded from March: 126.2
    Average weight recorded from April: 124.9
    Average weight recorded from May: 124.9

Week of...
    5th June: 122.8 scale/124.0 trend
    12th June: 123.2 scale/123.4
    19th June: 121.6 scale/123.0 trend
    26th June:

Success/struggles of the week: I still seem to be trending down a little below my range. I know that the solution is to eat more, but that is easier said than done. I guess I need to trust that I am really burning this many calories even though my fitbit says I am burning less than I am eating. If I don't go over my calories every day then I lose weight, but it messes with my head to always be in the red and be over what I "should" be eating. I'm a little afraid to stop logging. Partly I'm afraid that I will keep losing since I often eat just because I need calories and not because I am hungry. And the other part of me is afraid that if I stop logging I will start gaining again. I guess as long as I am not underweight I am going to try not to worry about it. I was just really hoping that I would be able to get to maintenance and not have to be so concerned about how many calories I ate each day.

I personally think maintenance is harder than losing because we have to change our mentality from losing (with all the rewards of green numbers, attaboys from our friends, etc) to maintaining (where there are only internalized attaboys and we see red numbers often as much as we see green ones), and there are so many fluctuations with maintaining that it is scary when we feel like they are going in the wrong direction (either up or down) for too long.

Honestly though...maybe your personally desired maintenance range is a bit high for your body, so it's okay if you are still trending down a little bit as that may be where it wants to be. From your height and one of the calculators I use it says your ideal weight should be 117.5-127.5 if you are 5'3.5". While your desired range is within that range, it is on the higher end. You are still well within that ideal range even at your current weight that is lower than your desired range. Of course, it all depends on how you feel. Do you feel better or worse being at the lower weight? If you are feeling worse, then by all means work on eating more to get back at where you feel most comfortable. But don't let an arbitrary number cause you too much concern because you aren't hitting it perfectly. You may just be getting more exercise since it's summer and you are out and about more. And then in the winter, you may find you get back to your desired range as we all tend to slow down a bit in the winter months. It is hard, but I think being flexible with maintenance will help to keep you from stressing too much. I think you are doing great. You won't have to worry about being 'underweight' per BMI charts until you are down around 108lbs and you aren't in any great danger of that right now. Above all...do you! You know what is best for yourself.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @JulieSHelms Congrats on your weight loss! We have all had to make that fun adjustment to maintenance. Yes, it is scary to think of gaining even a pound. I have been on maintenance for maybe 1-1/2 yrs after losing just over 70#. I have kept my weight within the same 4ish pounds with really no problem. I sort of freaked out last week when I realized I weigh 3# more than a year ago. OH, my, lol. My clothes still fit, I still run most days and eat pretty much what I want. Oh, yeah, I am a tad underweight, but my doc is OK with it. I think focusing on the scale might be too much for some of us. Maybe what feels good/comfortable might be a better measurement. If you feel you are slipping, buckle back down. Try not to weigh in more than once per week. Eat a little pizza once in a while. Have a beer. One cheeseburger will not make you fat just like one salad will not make you skinny. Enjoy life!
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Name: Nichell
    Height: 5'6
    Total Weight lost: ~50lbs
    Time it took to lose: 5.5 months
    How long in maintenance:almost 5 weeks
    Maintenance weight range: 150-155lbs

Average weight recorded from January: not recorded
    Average weight recorded from February: 182.4
    Average weight recorded from March: 173.5
    Average weight recorded from April: 164.5
    Average weight recorded from May: 156.4

Week of...
    5th June: 154.3, trend 154.9
    12th June: 152.8, trend 154.1
    19th June: 151.3, trend 152.9
    26th

Struggles-pretty sure I'm still losing weight, my trend is way down. So I'm readjusting for this week, adding about 100 more calories a day. I also had a mini freak out when I'd realized I had a slice of pizza, 6 McNuggets and a small fry, a pop tart, and Chinese food all in one week. The McDonald's and pop tart were planned, but the pizza was spur of the moment and the Chinese food was decided on earlier in the week to occur at the end of the week (social event). My mental game needs more work than anything else at this point.

Successes-I'm getting much more comfortable with the actual idea of maintenance. In weight loss, I didn't deviate at all from my food plan, 5.5 months of very strict adherence. Now I'm adjusting things more as they come and trying to look at food as something to enjoy more that something that controls my weight. I'm not nearly as afraid of carbs as I was in the beginning and I'm more open minded about making adjustments when I feel like it. I've still got a lot of work to do and it's certainly going to be another separate journey, but I think I'm making progress.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    @girlgroves and @b3achy Thank you both for your replies. Looking at my own data, I would say that my fitbit is underestimating by 200-250 calories per day. Not a huge amount, but enough to keep me slowly trending down. I probably need to stop looking at the fitbit calories burned. And I do think that I am at a really good weight. I have had several people tell me lately that I need to stop losing (which annoys me because I am trying) and even that I should gain some back ( which I don't want to do). But I would be very happy to stay where I am. I am not underweight, and I have become very active and I feel really good at this activity level. And I think I look pretty good too. Maybe my sisters really are just jealous.
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Height:5'3.75
    Total Weight lost:52
    Time it took to lose: 1.5 years to original goal of 150; 5 months to new goal of 145
    How long in maintenance: 1 month
    Maintenance weight range: 139-144

Average weight recorded from January:153.8
    Average weight recorded from February:151.3
    Average weight recorded from March:145.8
    Average weight recorded from April:145.1
    Average weight recorded from May:142.6

Week of...
    5th June:142.2
    12th June: 140.6
    19th June: 140
    26th June:

Successes: Hit my mini goal of 140 by the beginning of summer with not an ounce nor a day to spare! Was able to undo the evening of salty snacking which occurred last Thursday and resulted in a 1.5 lb. gain.
    Challenge for the week: Going out for a drink and apps this week, careful planning required.