Options
1235»

Replies

• A_Witty_Ginger
    A_Witty_Ginger Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    The styles in the pics are fine, except:

No skinny jeans. I hate them. Many other women hate them. Some like them, but the majority do not. I'm talking about women in their 30's and 40's when I express this hatred for skinny jeans on men. It's possible younger women may feel differently...you're 29 so my opinion may not be the most relevant on this. I suspect the types that like man buns (I detest them with a passion) would also like skinny jeans. But I am not friends with any women who like man buns so can't say for sure.

The cardigan in the first pic is something I would really hate to see on a man. Granted, tastes vary based on the person, but it seems much too effeminate to me. The only man who ever looked right in a cardigan was Mr. Rogers. If you aren't Mr. Rogers and you're cold, put on a jacket, or a hoodie, or a real sweater...don't grab your girlfriend's cardigan!!!

In general, jeans are fine as long as they fit well. Fitted T-shirts work well. If you want a slightly dressier (but can be casual also) look, button down shirts are always great. Slim fit looks better on many men. Don't tuck in.

Check out Ralph Lauren...they have some great shirts.

Finally, don't wear running shoes unless you actually expect to be running. Shoes are important.

I didnt think about the running shoes. I usually wear them in public...faux pas?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

No skinny jeans. I hate them. Many other women hate them. Some like them, but the majority do not. I'm talking about women in their 30's and 40's when I express this hatred for skinny jeans on men. It's possible younger women may feel differently...you're 29 so my opinion may not be the most relevant on this. I suspect the types that like man buns (I detest them with a passion) would also like skinny jeans. But I am not friends with any women who like man buns so can't say for sure.

The cardigan in the first pic is something I would really hate to see on a man. Granted, tastes vary based on the person, but it seems much too effeminate to me. The only man who ever looked right in a cardigan was Mr. Rogers. If you aren't Mr. Rogers and you're cold, put on a jacket, or a hoodie, or a real sweater...don't grab your girlfriend's cardigan!!!

In general, jeans are fine as long as they fit well. Fitted T-shirts work well. If you want a slightly dressier (but can be casual also) look, button down shirts are always great. Slim fit looks better on many men. Don't tuck in.

Finally, don't wear running shoes unless you actually expect to be running. Shoes are important.

I didnt think about the running shoes. I usually wear them in public...faux pas?

Not a faux pas, but it's just really, really casual. Just putting on a different pair of shoes will really upgrade the entire look. With nicer shoes and dark wash jeans, you can go almost anyplace except for the most formal occasions. Good shoes just make you look very put together.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I like guys in sneakers...but like Nike Air Max, yeezys, Jordans ultraboost, etc. all kept clean and shiny
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options

generally, yes.

instead, opt for a casual sneaker

jack purcell by converse (in black leather) is a go to for me

also... check out: Greats

greats-royale.jpg

bumping around town, it's leather Vans:

Vans_Red_Leather_Old_Skool_Zip_Chili_Pepper_Feature.jpg?resize=590%2C390

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I'm really liking reading the men's advice on menswear, you guys seem to have some really good taste and excellent suggestions for dressing a man's body (go figure!)
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    abrubru wrote: »
    sorry, didn't realize someone already posted my answer...just wanted to add...my dad was a ginger, and my daughter is one...hot pink on a man with red hair! love it. Purple and green are great as well as navy and black. I love me a ginger...heavy sigh <3

@abrubru I never really saw myself in hot pink. I love dark green and purple but i always imagined hot pink to mix better with swarthy complexions. And yes, always love a ginger lol

Ironically, I never wear pick--not necessarily because I don't like it (even though I don't)--but more because my dad wore it so much I associate it as a male color. Weird, right? He was 6'4" though and most people didn't argue with him.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters a LOT what you wear, as long as it fits and is appropriate. Chances are good that I won't notice a man's clothes most of the time, but I WILL notice if his jeans are a little too short, if his shirt is wrinkly, or if he's wearing shorts and flip-flops at a nice restaurant.

I prefer men to keep their fashion simple, I guess. My favorite, favorite outfit on my husband is jeans and a white button-down shirt, untucked and rolled at the elbow. Yowza.
  • TurnuptheACDC
    TurnuptheACDC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Tshirt, jeans, and some nice sneakers.
    Throw on a baseball cap.
    Or a button down shirt.

Just as long as everything fits nice. A tailor is your best friend when it comes to your wardrobe!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    I don't think it matters a LOT what you wear, as long as it fits and is appropriate. Chances are good that I won't notice a man's clothes most of the time, but I WILL notice if his jeans are a little too short, if his shirt is wrinkly, or if he's wearing shorts and flip-flops at a nice restaurant.

I prefer men to keep their fashion simple, I guess. My favorite, favorite outfit on my husband is jeans and a white button-down shirt, untucked and rolled at the elbow. Yowza.

That's actually total cornerstone man casual clothing. The reason you like it is because it works and it's timeless. That's literally outfit #1 on any decent men's style site. It just works.

re5pext.

timeless rules.

clothing that doesn't look like a billboard is imperative

I've been on dates (not 1st ones) wearing just Levis, a white t-shirt and great shoes
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Jeans. Black v neck t shirt with nice boots. Leather jacket...or leave long sleeve shirt unbuttoned over t shirt. Basically anything Colin Ferell wears!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Ahh I love a man in a good leather jacket...I got one to match
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Jeans are great if they fit. Try on different "cuts". I don't like the really baggy look, it's no longer cool to have pants hang halfway down the the butt. If you're not sure which "cut" looks best on you bring a female friend or relation shopping with you.