June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    On the passing thing I have a pet peeve about cars and intersections. I don't mind a car that goes fast enough to get through the intersection before I do. I don't mind the ones considerate enough to let me pass. I hate the ones that are determined to make me stop. If I wave them forward they don't go and if I try to go though the intersection it only after I commit that they go. I usually try to pass behind these vehicles, but they just don't get it. Because I don't trust bikes I usually avoid bike paths. I know that I am hazardous on a bike and I don't wish to put anyone on a bike in the challenging position of trying to pass me.

I love the ones who roll through a stop sign just to try to beat me to the crosswalk on the other side. News flash: You're going to have to stop in the intersection to wait for me or hit me. Thankfully, most drivers in my neighborhood and on my running route are pretty nice.

My pet peeve: Sidewalk parkers!! I'll run in the bike lane or street when I can, but I have to jump up on the sidewalk often. I get very annoyed when I have to swerve out onto a busy street because somebody parked they're car across the sidewalk.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Last week I ran by a co-worker out walking the same path. He was just bustin' my kitten about running by him and scaring him. We found no solution to the delimma. :smiley:
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom love the news article.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I had to ride with my husband to his work this morning so I could use his car the rest of the day. Let me just say, he isn't nice to pedestrians and I wish I could apologize for him! Yeah, the old guy wasn't using a crosswalk but I would've let him go before making a right turn in front of him.

On another note, I later saw a REALLY OLD GUY running shirtless and he had like a Hulk Hogan mustache except it grew down long like a beard. Two long beard strands. I could see the beard/mustache/whatever flapping in the wind as I came up behind him and I got a kick out of the whole thing. Kudos to him though for being fit enough at "white hair age" to run shirtless!

I'm having a crazy day trying to get my car fixed and getting my son to multiple job interviews. Always the worst timing for my car to break. I probably won't exercise today at all. Nor did I yesterday. I did do a short walk Saturday because I was dying to get outside, but I was having some pain behind my knee and didn't go far.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    b1kei62u9v1x.png

:disappointed: Not looking like a good day for a run. UV Warning and Allergy Warning too.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @vydorscope it's a wee bit warm there huh?
    @kgirlhart my boss used to say he could tell my morning runs were getting longer because I went from starting work at 7 to 7:15 to 7:30 and finally I was coming in around 8:00 to 8:15. ha ha
    @ctlaws44 thanks for the putting that song in my head :scream:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I just discovered this group, and I'm joining mid-month. I just finished Day 1, Week 2 of C25K. I've got a buddy who told me about the app, and we decided to train together with the shared goal of running a 5K in September. If we follow through, it'll be the first race for either of us. I'm a big guy (6'1", 280 lbs), so I've started out on the treadmill. I know that it's not as strenuous a workout, but the controlled setting gives me the opportunity to pay attention to my knees as I build tendon strength. Wish me luck!

Treadmill is a great way to start. When I had to loose my first 50 pounds, that is how I started. The great thing is that if you get like 30 seconds in and are beat (like I was) you do not have to walk home. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @vydorscope it's a wee bit warm there huh?

Lets just say I am considering leaving the down jacket at home. :lol:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    VydorScope wrote: »
    b1kei62u9v1x.png

:disappointed: Not looking like a good day for a run. UV Warning and Allergy Warning too.

Yuck! It's only 90 here. I'm so glad it's a rest/eat/nap day. I may become a morning runner before long. I'm struggling getting heat acclimated this year.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @elise4270 "only 90" ha ha
    @MNLittlefinn stupid company spam filter is blocking your picture :angry:
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

Probably blocking the photo for all of the skin showing, lol. @MNLittleFinn looks good on you... excited to hear how your race goes!
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow runners!

6/1: 8.7k -w/u, Tempo Run, c/d-
    6/2: 10.3k -again Tempo-
    6/4: 7.1k - urban running
    6/6: 14.1k -Long run-
    6/7: 7.3k -Easy run-
    6/8: 1.5k -treadmill as w/u for strength training-
    6/10: 9k -urban running-
    6/12: 5k -2.5k run, 0.66km swim, 2.5k run-

Aim: 63k/161k

Running barefoot at the beach felt awesome!

Stay free of injuries!
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »

Probably blocking the photo for all of the skin showing, lol. @MNLittleFinn looks good on you... excited to hear how your race goes!

Well dang I always miss out