June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    hesfeld wrote: »
    @Elise4270 @girlinahat I go to a park with a trail and everyone there has their music playing on their phone with no headphones in. I passed about 10 in one run that were doing that. Even before I set out on that run, I myself thought about doing it because it's safer than wearing headphones, but I'm so self conscious I didn't want people to be annoyed with me. Now I know better that I can get away with it haha

They make ear buds that allow you to still hear what's going on around you. I have a pair and like them. They are made by Yur-Buds. They are made for runners, and are sweat proof.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have a pair of these from
    plantronics

I prefer the hook over ear thing as some of the ones that sit into the ear tend to slip when I sweat. They are bluetooth and wireless. I don't use them often but they can be useful if I need to slog it out. I've never used the armband that came with them though.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    I remember last year at an event down in the States an un-scheduled train crossed the course and destroyed the BQ hopes for a large group of Runners. I just copied this from the Web-Site for the Banff Marathon this weekend.

Our scenic running course takes you through some of the most scenic land in the world…and also across some active railway tracks. We will know when trains are approaching and we will have race marshals on both sides of the track to halt the race accordingly. In order to ensure your timing does not get disrupted by train activity, we will place timing matts on either side of the tracks. The time needed to close the course at railway crossings will be deleted off of the final time of any patiently waiting athletes.
    Now that deserves some Kudo's for the Race Director and Committee.
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn - you're going as a watermelon?????
    Looks like he could Mascot for the Saskatchewan RoughRiders in the CFL, all he would have to add is a Watermelon Helmet. Okay Me Bad.

Ok, I am probably going to sound like a petty little *kitten* here, but I am surprised that the BAA would accept this as a qualifier course. Even though this is probably the fairest solution to the problem, it does allow the runners an untimed rest and recovery stop as they wait for the train to pass. As nit picky as the BAA can be sometimes...

The untimed recovery issue bothers me from a fairness perspective; but the things I've read about races with stuff like a train crossing all ended up with BAA punting the decision back to the qualifying marathon race organizer for the finishing time. BAA won't even say whether a marathon is a qualifying event; they punt that question back to the qualifying race organizers even though the rules are clear that the course has to be certified by USATF or AIMS.

So I wouldn't be shocked if BAA accepted adjusted times by whatever method the qualifying race organizer deems fair. Even though, from a fairness perspective, I think a 10 minute enforced rest at mile 11 (or wherever) makes the race effectively "not a marathon" for comparison purposes.

That having been said, deleting the enforced wait time is likely the least unfair thing the race organizer can do for ranking results within that not-really-a-marathon race. Though I think it would suck to run continually and finish second in my age group by a couple minutes net time behind someone who had 20 minutes of rest deleted from his time. There really isn't anything that can be done that is fair to everyone.
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat that sounds refreshingly cool so I'll take that risk haha. And @elise4270 I've gotten to the point, I really don't need music anymore. I'm more focused on my breathing that music just becomes white noise, but I may check those out!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    VydorScope wrote: »
    I am not sure what is up with Strava. Not only does it give me way higher calorie counts, it also has me going faster! So, for example:

RunKeeper: 7.01 miles, 1:07:26 time, 9:37 pace, 994 Calories
    Strava: 7.01 miles, 1:00:20 moving(?) time, 1:07:26 elasped(?) time, 8:36 pace, 1120 Calories

Now, that is the exact same run, imported into Strava from RunKeeper (I have a service that keeps them in sync).

I find the calorie counts in Strava to be about 20% high. Never had the speed issue though. Does it stop timing/calculating if you wait to cross the street or pause?

RunKeeper auto pauses for that, so it should be accounted for in the RunKeeper scores I would think
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @hesfeld and @girlinahat I keep telling myself I'll run without my music but I end up with it instead. There is something to the songs that helps me along. I can be dragging and if the right tune comes on at the right time I have a new energy.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @karllundy LOL I'm old-fashioned or very modest myself. I can't even bring myself to wear tanks. It's sleeves for me!

@elise4270 I've passed many runners blaring their music right outloud :)

Crazy week will continue to be crazy so I'm just in standby as far as running or walking goes. I did do a few minutes strength last night. I'm running around like crazy due to us sharing a car until mine is fixed and my son is getting his job so I'm taking him shopping tonight for his work clothes that meet dress code. I can't wait until Friday when I'll have some time to run!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    In the lastest spam from MFP it says:

"Ideally, you shouldn’t have lost any more than 2% of your body weight between the beginning and end of your workout."

Umm, I routinely lose 6% (or more), even when carrying/drinking 40+ oz of water with me. So am I going to die or something? :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    In the lastest spam from MFP it says:

"Ideally, you shouldn’t have lost any more than 2% of your body weight between the beginning and end of your workout."

Umm, I routinely lose 6% (or more), even when carrying/drinking 40+ oz of water with me. So am I going to die or something? :)

That's Runners World's take on it too. I'd imagine like everything else, there are those that don't fall in the normal distribution.

ETA if I hit that 2% loss, I better park it and start suckin' some Gatorade :wink:
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    June Running Challenge

Goal: 100 km 4 time/week (16)
    Ran: 31/100 km | Week2: 2/4
    (7/16)

13/6/17 Run 3.7 km Walk 5 km
    12/6/17 Walk 4 km
    9/6/17 Run 5.3 km Walk 2 km
    8/6/17 SL+walk 7km
    7/6/17 Run 4.4 km + Walk 6km (22)
    6/6/17 Run 3 km + Walk 7 km+SL
    5/6/17 Run 7 km+ walk 2 km
    4/6/17 Run 1 km+walk 5 km+SL
    3/6/17 Walk 5 km
    2/6/17 Walk 7 km
    1/6/17 Run 6.6 km + SL+walk 5 km

SL : Strong lift
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I think that 2% thing is an old omigod you must take sips of water every twenty minutes otherwise you'll die thing....

Take a look at the book 'Waterlogged' by Tim Noakes, and he delves into the 2% idea, suggesting that ultra-runners and elite marathoners can quite often lose up to 6% of their bodyweight without long-term effects.

Drink to thirst.
  • cburke8909
    Options
    @girlinshat Thanks for the post. I am beginning to wonder about my hydration plan for longer runs this summer. I have two 12 ounce water bottles that seem to provide enough for me on a close to 3 hour run but those runs were with temperatures in the 50s and 60s. Now that summer is here, I am wondering how much more will I need. My safe plan for now is to listen to my body. If it's really hot out and I want more water sooner then I cut the run short this week and bring more water on the next long run.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @girlinshat Thanks for the post. I am beginning to wonder about my hydration plan for longer runs this summer. I have two 12 ounce water bottles that seem to provide enough for me on a close to 3 hour run but those runs were with temperatures in the 50s and 60s. Now that summer is here, I am wondering how much more will I need. My safe plan for now is to listen to my body. If it's really hot out and I want more water sooner then I cut the run short this week and bring more water on the next long run.

Weather is the wild card. 8 ounces of Nuun and 10 ounces of water will get me through a half marathon in reasonable weather. In yesterday's heat, I ran out of Nuun at 7.7 miles and finished with maybe 3 ounces of water left at 10 miles. Time to get out the belt that holds 4 bottles and put away the belt that only holds 2. The runs won't all be as short as 10 miles, and yesterday won't be the last of the hot weather I run in.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I think that 2% thing is an old omigod you must take sips of water every twenty minutes otherwise you'll die thing....

Take a look at the book 'Waterlogged' by Tim Noakes, and he delves into the 2% idea, suggesting that ultra-runners and elite marathoners can quite often lose up to 6% of their bodyweight without long-term effects.

Drink to thirst.

@girlinahat: "up to 6%" for an ultra marathon... vs me not-elite-turtle-paced-runner losing 6 % on 10 mile runs, while drinking 40oz of water. In my last 15 mile run, I lost enough weight that my waist pack started sliding off and I had to adjust it. :smiley::smiley: Next time I ran, I could not get the belt on becuase it was too tight and had to un-adjust it. I really excel at this water loss thing :smiley:
    @girlinshat Thanks for the post. I am beginning to wonder about my hydration plan for longer runs this summer. I have two 12 ounce water bottles that seem to provide enough for me on a close to 3-hour run but those runs were with temperatures in the 50s and 60s. Now that summer is here, I am wondering how much more will I need. My safe plan, for now, is to listen to my body. If it's really hot out and I want more water sooner then I cut the run short this week and bring more water on the next long run.

@cburke8909: I loose lots (as you can see above). I carry 3 water bottles and make sure my route passes through a park with a water fountain so I can refill. When losing this much water you are killing your electrolyte supply - and that is a bad thing (tm). I take a product called S-Caps (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L7P2P6) - one per hour to help compensate. For me, sports drinks are not enough. They mainly provide water.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

My long run on Sunday took me 2:23, and I went through 36oz of water, and 4 Clif Shot Bloks w/added salt. It was upper 80s when i started, and 90 w/a realfeel of 92 when I finished, on a partly shady route, but full sun where there was no shade. I definitely need to figure out a better water transportation system, I was running with a 24oz bottle in my hand (which I obviously refilled), and my hydration belt only holds 2 small (8 or 10 oz, I can't remember) bottles. I'm contemplating looking at hydration vests/back packs, since I'll be starting marathon training soon, and my long runs will be getting even longer over the heat of the summer.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    My long run on Sunday took me 2:23, and I went through 36oz of water, and 4 Clif Shot Bloks w/added salt. It was upper 80s when i started, and 90 w/a realfeel of 92 when I finished, on a partly shady route, but full sun where there was no shade. I definitely need to figure out a better water transportation system, I was running with a 24oz bottle in my hand (which I obviously refilled), and my hydration belt only holds 2 small (8 or 10 oz, I can't remember) bottles. I'm contemplating looking at hydration vests/back packs, since I'll be starting marathon training soon, and my long runs will be getting even longer over the heat of the summer.

@KatieJane83: I have a camel pack, but ugh. The problem is they cover your back and do not all any venting of heat back there. My UA Heat Gear is vented in the back for a reason. :) I am probably going to buy an Amphipod RunLite Xtech 4 Plus Hydration Belt (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A7PTISC) because water bottles in my pockets is getting old. :smiley:
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

@KatieJane83: I have a camel pack, but ugh. The problem is they cover your back and do not all any venting of heat back there. My UA Heat Gear is vented in the back for a reason. :) I am probably going to buy an Amphipod RunLite Xtech 4 Plus Hydration Belt (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A7PTISC) because water bottles in my pockets is getting old. :smiley:

Hmmm, that hydration belt looks pretty good, but it's not available :'(

I'm contemplating trying this pack, since it has a lot of good reviews, AND most importantly, it won't break the bank. On Sunday I was brave enough to run in just my running sports bra (had a split second of being worried about being self-conscious until my common sense took over and was like, nobody cares, it's full coverage, and it's freaking HOT out! lol), so if I do that with the pack I might just be ok. We shall see!

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B015GONGTG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A39NTBGSJDBZYJ
  • cburke8909
    Options
    I've been considering this item also found on amazon TETON Sports Trailrunner 2 Liter Hydration Backpack; with a New Limited Edition Color. It holds 2 liters of water and you wear it like a vest. Also it seems to have a very good system for access.