Options
    June 1- 2.8 miles(first run back!)
    June 2- 30 minutes swim (800m)+ 30 minutes yoga
    June 3- 3.6 miles+ 30 minutes stretching/PT
    June 4- P90X3 Challenge
    June 5- 32 minute swim (850m)
    June 6- P90X3 CVX Cardio + 20 minutes stretching/PT
    June 7- 25 minutes swimming (650m)
    June 8- 30 min strength (back, shoulders, hamstrings and glutes), 28 min walk/run w/ Stella+ 10 min stretching
    June 9- 30 min swimming (850 or 900m?)+ 15 min stretching/PT
    June 10- Rest/ Travel day
    June 11- 3.5 mile road/trail run + 15 minute stretching/PT
    June 12- P90X3 Warrior+ 20 minutes stretching/PT
    June 13- 4 miles + 20 minutes strength training+ 10 min stretch/PT
    June 14- 36 minutes swimming (1000m)!+ P90X3 Dynamix
    June 15- 4 miles running
    June 16- 30 minutes swimming (850m)+ P90X3 Isometrix
    June 17- Rest Day
    June 18- 6 miles + 20 minutes stretching

23.9 miles so far this month. I did not go to swim this morning. The weather is beautiful today, so I am hoping to go for a bike ride after work and also take Stella for a long walk, so I decided my body would appreciate extra sleep over laps in the pool today. This morning when I took Stella for a walk, I was really, really wanting to run. I think that 6 mile run yesterday just left me wanting more.

I have a potential 5K on Friday night. It poses a bit of a dilemma. There is a race series in my local running group that lasts throughout the year. You must run at least 6 of the 15 or so designated races. You are awarded points for where you finish within your age group. At the end of the year, they take your top 6 races and the person with the highest total wins. So far, I have only run one of the races because of my injury, so I am behind in the number of races run and I probably need to run this race to stay on target for completing at least 6 of them. Problem is, I am afraid I will push too hard and end up moving in the wrong direction on my recovery. I have not run a 5K in over a year. Currently, my 10K PR is a faster pace than my 5K. However, I am not even sure if I am capable of beating my current 5K PR even if I push it. But I know myself, and I know that I won't be able to cruise down easy street when some healthy competition is on the line. I can't decide if I should run the 5K or not.
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    g7c91uvtjrv9.png

Congrats on great races @MNLittleFinn @amymoreorless @MobyCarp @Orphia @skippygirlsmom and anyone else I missed. Too many posts to catch up on.

Been running with others so I've been slowing down and talking. I need to get at least one run a week where I work my pace more as well as a proper long run. I've been nickle and dime running too much. I got hill intervals today with my usual group. Might add boot camp in the mornings since I don't have to worry about getting and picking them up from school. Like most of you, I'm getting adapted to the heat and humidity so far, but I know it's early on and SE Virginia can feel like South Florida some days. Hope everyone's having good runs or rests!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I have a potential 5K on Friday night. It poses a bit of a dilemma. There is a race series in my local running group that lasts throughout the year. You must run at least 6 of the 15 or so designated races. You are awarded points for where you finish within your age group. At the end of the year, they take your top 6 races and the person with the highest total wins. So far, I have only run one of the races because of my injury, so I am behind in the number of races run and I probably need to run this race to stay on target for completing at least 6 of them. Problem is, I am afraid I will push too hard and end up moving in the wrong direction on my recovery. I have not run a 5K in over a year. Currently, my 10K PR is a faster pace than my 5K. However, I am not even sure if I am capable of beating my current 5K PR even if I push it. But I know myself, and I know that I won't be able to cruise down easy street when some healthy competition is on the line. I can't decide if I should run the 5K or not.

I suggest that you do not run the race. You could make things much worse for yourself and make recovery take much longer.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 - I would make some different plans for Friday night that you won't budge so you avoid that 5k! You are doing great on your recovery so far and starting to see some real progress. Points and awards can come once you are back in full form.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 If it were me, I would run the 5K and treat it as a run rather than as a race.
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 "Live" to fight another day
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @KatieJane83 thanks for posting on the hydration pack. This is this one I will be purchasing. It's good to hear it's working out for you. I saw a similar one at TJMax Saturday but it was definitely a female color of purple. Now at the early morning hours that I run why should I care?

Glad I was of help!

Nothing wrong with wearing purple as a guy. Back in the day it was a symbol of royalty ;)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @KatieJane83 thanks for posting on the hydration pack. This is this one I will be purchasing. It's good to hear it's working out for you. I saw a similar one at TJMax Saturday but it was definitely a female color of purple. Now at the early morning hours that I run why should I care?

Glad I was of help!

Nothing wrong with wearing purple as a guy. Back in the day it was a symbol of royalty ;)

Royal (or dark) Purple is my favorite color, but he said "female shade of purple" - which is probably lavender or maybe even... BARNEY PURPLE. Personally, I would avoid that shade! :lol:
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent you are correct. My wife is getting used to my compression tights as it is. I think she secretly likes them but teases me anyway. I know she supports my ability to wear them at my present weight. If I wore them last year they would not be flattering.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent you are correct. My wife is getting used to my compression tights as it is. I think she secretly likes them but teases me anyway. I know she supports my ability to wear them at my present weight. If I wore them last year they would not be flattering.

I can not find full-length tights that fit. I guess all the hills I have run have made my thighs to muscular. Or at least that is what I tell myself. :wink:

I do wear the shorts version, but I wear them under heat gear shorts. I could not make myself run in them without something over them. I know some people do... but some people run marathons in a speedo too, does not mean I will do that anytime soon either! :lol:
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I run with a pair of short over the compression tights. I'm not sure how much they help. They are suppose to help you stay cool and be good for your muscles. I do find they encourage me to run fast. Part of me does not care what I look like when I run but there is always that fear that I'll look in the mirror or see a picture of myself and feel very insecure because I look ridiculous.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    @KatieJane83 @cburke8909 and anyone who runs with hydration packs. I bought mine a TJMAXX too. I went running the other day to test it out for the first time. I read on a forum how to best use and take care of them. This one user has had his for 12 years.
    He stored the bladder with hose attached, empty with fill cap unscrewed in the freezer to keep junk from growing in it. He didn't even worry about drying it out. He did make sure the water was drained from the hose though.
    He wrapped a rubber band around it to save space in the freezer.
    The night before he would use it he filled it halfway up with water and blow air through the hose to fill the other half with air. He put it in the freezer making sure the water wasn't at the fill cap or where the hose came out of the bladder. The next day right before he went running he'd fill the rest of the bladder with water. I did it and It worked great! For 4 hours I had ice cold water and a cool back in 94F, 85% humidity. There was still a chunk of ice in it! Another benefit from freezing part of the water was there was hardly any sloshing when I was running. I have a 2 liter pack. The only downside I saw was it was difficult to get the frozen bladder into the pack. I won't blow as much air into it next time. Hope this helps anyone.

Wow, this is awesome! I'm copying and pasting this and saving it somewhere so I remember this!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

@lporter229 - That sounds similar to the Rochester Runner of the Year series - 12 races, score based on best 6 performances, need to run at least 4 for the score to count at all. But in practice, you need to run 6 races to be competitive.

Last year, I was hurt a lot. I only ran 4 RROY races. I won my age group in all 4, for the maximum possible 40 points for 4 races. My friend Bill won the age group with 58 points for his best 6, winning the age group in 4 races I didn't run and finishing 2nd behind me in two I did. I finished 3rd behind someone who cobbled together 41 points in his 6 best races. If I could have run a 5th race, even poorly, I would have been 2nd. If I could have been healthy for a 5th and 6th race, I would have won the age group for the series.

Guess what? Skipping all those races and forgoing the 1st place finish I could have achieved in 6 races or the 2nd place I could have achieved if I ran 5 was absolutely the best decision. Sometimes, living to run again trumps the reward of doing well in the series that motivates you.

In your position, I'd skip the 5K. Yes, I know the theory that I could just run it easy. My history of trying to run races easy because I'm not at full strength isn't encouraging. It's smarter to just not put myself in a race environment when I need to take it easy.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent I run with a pair of short over the compression tights. I'm not sure how much they help. They are suppose to help you stay cool and be good for your muscles. I do find they encourage me to run fast. Part of me does not care what I look like when I run but there is always that fear that I'll look in the mirror or see a picture of myself and feel very insecure because I look ridiculous.

I find they chaff far less than traditional underwear and are better in rain/etc as they do not hold water. I actually prefer running in them for those two reasons. I doubt there is anything to the "compression" hype, but if there is I guess that is just added benefit.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    @KatieJane83 @cburke8909 and anyone who runs with hydration packs. I bought mine a TJMAXX too. I went running the other day to test it out for the first time. I read on a forum how to best use and take care of them. This one user has had his for 12 years.
    He stored the bladder with hose attached, empty with fill cap unscrewed in the freezer to keep junk from growing in it. He didn't even worry about drying it out. He did make sure the water was drained from the hose though.
    He wrapped a rubber band around it to save space in the freezer.
    The night before he would use it he filled it halfway up with water and blow air through the hose to fill the other half with air. He put it in the freezer making sure the water wasn't at the fill cap or where the hose came out of the bladder. The next day right before he went running he'd fill the rest of the bladder with water. I did it and It worked great! For 4 hours I had ice cold water and a cool back in 94F, 85% humidity. There was still a chunk of ice in it! Another benefit from freezing part of the water was there was hardly any sloshing when I was running. I have a 2 liter pack. The only downside I saw was it was difficult to get the frozen bladder into the pack. I won't blow as much air into it next time. Hope this helps anyone.

Interesting idea. Far better than the idea my son had to put soda in his at least...