June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @rusgolden - Muscles are more susceptible to tearing if they did not fully heal. Is it possible you may have come back too soon?

My advice is to look into active recovery more than RICE unless it is a really bad injury, at which point some physical therapy would be really wise (actually, if you can afford it, is wise regardless of severity). Your muscles can heal faster if they have some activity as opposed to full rest. Look at something like just starting with minor stretching a couple times/day, and slowly build from there. The trick is to fully heal before starting again. After you do start again, if it ever seems to speak up in any manner, be mindful of it and back off again appropriately to prevent having it slowly come back with repeated stresses.

What I can't recommend is what sort of stretches or the level of activity. That one you would be best served by some professional advice, or just going on what you know, since you know yourself, the pain levels, and location better than I do.
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    @MrsKGrady Awesome job! Nice AG placement!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @MrsKGrady - Way to go on the AG placement!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning -- I don't think I came back too soon... Dr. had recommended 4-6 weeks of rest/recovery before actively running again. I just looked back at my running log and looks like it was right at 6 weeks before I started running, and I eased into it, didn't just go back at full speed and long distances. Dr. had given me some stretching exercises to do and I also did use the elliptical and stationary bike as well as just normal walking during that 6 weeks. It was a full 3-4 months of running again before I tweaked it slightly and almost another 3 months since then until this latest occurrence. I guess I figured if it wasn't fully healed that I would be getting signs of that at the beginning, not 3 months down the road. I've been stretching the *kitten* out of them before my runs and try to do some recovery stretching afterward as well.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @rusgolden How about a PT visit? I don't have any experience (yet) with the calf area other than shin splints (which was gait related).

You run through the usual culprits:
    Shoes?
    Gait imbalances?
    Cambored surfaces?
    Think about that compartment entrapment business?

Did you have an MRI? Is it possible to have experienced a partial tear that can't /just won't heal?

I love a good PT visit. So maybe one can help you out.

ETA What about weekly massage? Of course a pt could do that, but maybe some scar tissue needs to be dealt with.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @mhollan9 Welcome to the group.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @rusgolden - That seems too long in between occurrences, you would have felt nagging discomfort or pain in between if it had not fully healed. It could be something else that is making your calf more prone to injury as @Elise4270 suggested. For something recurring like that, probably best to get a professional opinion so you stop it at the source.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    My foot has come up like a pudding since I ran yesterday. Not really painful unless I touch it along the top of my first metatarsal.

Due a 4 mile run tomorrow on my current plan, not sure if I should attempt it or not? :'(
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    Just in case anyone is wondering. If you are out for training (for work) and can't check in for a week you will be 900 posts (and 26 pages) behind. I hope I didn't miss any good pictures cause I'm really just giving up on the idea of catching up and just starting from here.

Lol! Yeah, that's me! You miss a day, you miss about 200 posts!
  • Elise4270
    edited June 2017
    Options
    My foot has come up like a pudding since I ran yesterday. Not really painful unless I touch it along the top of my first metatarsal.

Due a 4 mile run tomorrow on my current plan, not sure if I should attempt it or not? :'(

Sounds like tendonitis. I had it in one toe and @kristinegift and told me what it was. Then I got that healed up and had it in the other. :disappointed: it was so painful. I used KT tape for support.

I think speed work is usually the culprit. I switched out of my minimal shoes and slowed it down for most runs.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Oh I like running cutback time, I get to sit back and give advice. Haha!

Doc's office phoned for a follow up question, I didn't ask if the doc was back yet and if HE thinks it's fine to run (last time I saw him, he did not prohibit running- which is why I'm in turmoil over the CNS's decision to ban running). Though I am enjoying working some new muscle groups. I did not grab either bike today... So... Poo. Maybe a walk after will will do. I can skip!!! Whoo!!!! Skippy walk hop not a run!

I had this food/exercise/weight loss dialed in. Now I am thrown for a loop on how to stay on track another month, er 3 weeks because I have a 5k planned with @BEERRUNNER :wink:
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    June goal: 50 miles

6/1/17: 3.5 miles
    6/2/17: 1 mile
    6/4/17: 4.3 miles
    6/5/17: 2 miles
    6/6/17: 3.4 miles
    6/7/17: 2.4 miles
    6/8/17: 2.7 miles
    6/11/17: 4.4 miles
    6/12/17: 2.8 miles
    6/13/17: 2.5 miles
    6/14/17: 2.7 miles
    6/18/17: 4.2 miles
    6/19/17: 2.6 miles

40.5/50 miles

The temperature wasn't too bad for my run at lunch today, but the humidity was atrocious. It should have been a really sucky run. But it wasn't. I had a decent pace. Not my best, but not my worst. I thought it might rain, but I just had a few drops that teased me. I thought going in that it would be one of those runs I just had to get through. But I really enjoyed the run today. I felt really good and when I got home and was stretching I just felt awesome. I love that feeling. I guess that is why I run. Is it weird that I can't wait to run again tomorrow? It sometimes surprises me how much I look forward to my next run.

@Orphia Great job on the PB!

@shanaber Love the picture!

@HonuNui I love the picture of your son. We can never be reminded too often to wear sunscreen.

@MrsKGrady Great 5K and awesome pics!

exercise.png

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Sounds like tendonitis. I had it in one toe and @kristinegift and told me what it was. Then I got that healed up and had it in the other. :disappointed: it was so painful. I used it tape for support.

I think speed work is usually the culprit. I switched out of my minimal shoes and slowed it down for most runs.

I suspect it is tendinitis :(

Speed work makes sense as I have been cadence training to get a PB last week.

Would it be ok to run the 4 miles tomorrow then an easy/recovery pace?
  • Elise4270
    Options

Sounds like tendonitis. I had it in one toe and @kristinegift and told me what it was. Then I got that healed up and had it in the other. :disappointed: it was so painful. I used it tape for support.

From what I read on it was to run if it doesn't hurt while running. I kept pushing it and it took ~6 weeks to heal the first time because I was stubborn. The second toe about 3.

Might try taping it if you wanna run a bit. It'll only get worse if it doesn't get better! Haha!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options

From what I read on it was to run if it doesn't hurt while running. I kept pushing it and it took ~6 weeks to heal the first time because I was stubborn. The second toe about 3.

Might try taping it if you wanna run a bit. It'll only get worse if it doesn't get better! Haha!

Thanks for the advice, I might try a couple of slow miles and I just ordered the tape. See how I get on.

I thought I'd just tied my trainers too tight after a 6 mile fast run last week but then it's swollen after a 10 mile run yesterday.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld You're welcome. Tight trainers could also contribute. But my money is on the speed work.

I just put the tape on in any way I felt it'd help.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    6/1 5miles 46:33min
    6/2 3miles 27:09min
    6/3 7miles 65:53min
    6/4 rest
    6/5 3miles 27:52min
    6/6 4miles 36:43min
    6/7 3miles 27:55min
    6/8 13.1miles!!! 2:06:49min
    6/9 rest
    6/10 3.55miles 35:30min
    6/11 rest
    6/12 4mi intervals 38:32min
    6/13 5miles 50:34min
    6/14 rest
    6/15 5miles 48:52min
    6/16 4miles 37:39min
    6/17 8miles 1:21:57min
    6/18 rest
    6/19 6miles 58:35min

Ran a very hot 6 miles this morning. It was just above 80, but at least there were clouds and a breeze. It felt sweltering when the sun was out and bearable when the sun went behind a cloud. My hip was a little sore, but it seemed to ease up after a mile.

I ran with my new Forerunner watch. It was right on with RunKeeper. I think I will continue to use both since I usually walk after running to cool down, sometimes upwards of a mile or 2. I like to keep track of the extra mileage to track my sneakers.

This watch is so much better than my Fitbit was!