June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @hesfeld Interesting. I have very high arches (Native American ancestry) and used to have fancy expensive orthopedic inserts because of some weird defect in my ankles causing my feet to land wrong (opposite of pronation but forget the name), but they wore out and not really wanting to spend the hundreds of dollars they cost to replace them.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 ha ha I doubt you ruined 3 kids - we all know parenting takes lots of time. Kelsey is one of 4 kids she stays in touch with that was in the same orphanage.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @girlinahat Great story and pics! I might suggest bug spray next time in addition to looking at the map. :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    6/1- REST
    6/2- 5.2 Miles
    6/3- 19
    6/4- 4.3
    6/5- 4.2
    6/6- 3.2
    6/7- 8.0
    6/8- REST
    6/9- 3.2
    6/10- 9
    6/11- REST
    4/12- 4.0
    6/13- REST
    6/14- 5
    6/15- REST
    6/16- 3.1
    6/17- 26.2
    6/18- REST
    6/19- REST
    6/20- REST

Total: 95

Goal for June. Finish Marathon training well, taper well and run Grandma's well
    Nominal mileage goal: 100

Today's notes: Rest day number 3. Tomorrow I'm going to try a run. My trail running buddy offered to hit the trails with me at 0500 tomorrow, and I took him up on the offer, since I did indeed add another race to the schedule.... Never ask trail runners if adding another (trail) race is a good idea...LOL

Have a runderful day all!

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 50k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat Obviously no one has told the mods that Offa's Kitten is a long-distance footpath in Wales and not an insult.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Garmin recovery advisor says I need 24 hours of recovery,

I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to the Garmin recovery advisor. It pretty consistently tells me I need 11 hours of recovery after a 2 mile warmup.

Mine tells me to move 10 minutes after I'm done with a HM. ha ha

I agree on the superfeet, Skip wears them and out there go when she retires a pair of shoes around 400 miles for her.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - 2 words about tomorrow's run. Ok, 3 words. SHORT, SLOW, and EASY. The point is recovery. Then you see how you feel for running after tomorrow.

I hope those trails aren't technical.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - 2 words about tomorrow's run. Ok, 3 words. SHORT, SLOW, and EASY. The point is recovery. Then you see how you feel for running after tomorrow.

Right, cause all runners will listen to that advice :)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

Heck! I would even suggest a brisk walk for a half hour after running a marathon, at least in the first week. Even though your muscles may start to feel better after a few days, they are certainly not recovered yet.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @rusgolden How about a PT visit? I don't have any experience (yet) with the calf area other than shin splints (which was gait related).

You run through the usual culprits:
    Shoes?
    Gait imbalances?
    Cambored surfaces?
    Think about that compartment entrapment business?

Did you have an MRI? Is it possible to have experienced a partial tear that can't /just won't heal?

I love a good PT visit. So maybe one can help you out.

ETA What about weekly massage? Of course a pt could do that, but maybe some scar tissue needs to be dealt with.

Thanks for some good insight. I haven't had anyone analyze my running form/gait or recommend shoes based on that. I will try and get to a running store and see if gait or improper shoes could be the issue.

I started my running career about 14 months ago on a C25K with some Asics trail running shoes because that is what I had... about 6 weeks in, I transitioned to some Asics GT1000, which is what I was wearing when I had my first injury. That happened at the beginning of an 8K double run, so I finished the 1st 5K, then during the intermission, had a deep massage on it (found out later that was a bad idea), then ran the 3K part... so, ego and determination kept me going, but didn't help things. Fast forward to mid-February when I transitioned to Asics Kayano 23, which I wore until a couple weeks ago and started wearing my 2nd pair of Kayano 23s, but I did wear my older ones for the last race.

I mostly run on blacktop or concrete, but try to stay off concrete as much as I can. When I tweaked the calf the 1st time in March, I went and bought a pair of compression sleeves for my calves so they wouldn't be bothered by the impact as much and that really seemed to help.

I haven't had an MRI... really want to avoid that with the high deductible plan as I'm crossing my fingers that I might actually go a whole year without meeting the family deductible for the first time in a few years. :smile: However, I will see if I can get into a PT soon and get some advice from them.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

6/1: 8.7k -w/u, Tempo Run, c/d-
    6/2: 10.3k -again Tempo-
    6/4: 7.1k - urban running
    6/6: 14.1k -Long run-
    6/7: 7.3k -Easy run-
    6/8: 1.5k -treadmill as w/u for strength training-
    6/10: 9k -urban running-
    6/12: 5k -2.5k run, 0.66km swim, 2.5k run-
    6/13: 11k - beach run-
    6/14: 3k -as wu and cd for strength training-
    6/16: 10k -urban run-
    6/17: 7.5k -easy run-
    6/20: 10.1k -painfull run-

Aim: 104.6k/161k

10 very tired kilometers. Wore expired shoes and run away from base not a good idea. Both legs are numb

Stay free of injuries!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Many thanks for the KT tape link.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    June 20 – 0.0 miles XT Water Zumba and 40 minutes of laps

Total: 64.25 miles/100 miles

Upcoming Race:

June 23 – St. Pete Beach Series, Race #1, 5K
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    My boss's family is heading that way next week after a family wedding in the area. Looks beautiful from the pictures I've seen.

@skippygirlsmom I hope they take the time to get off the highway and do some hiking/biking ( day hiking or overnight backpacking ) as what you see from the Trails is :) . Ironically I start my Holidays this week and will be camping at the Wilcox Campground just north of the Banff/Jasper Nat Park border beside the Columbia Icefield.
    Beautiful dayhike up to the Top of Wilcox Pass - very common that you have to detour around the Big Horn Sheep Sleeping/resting on the trail or Mountain Goats with their Baby kids. I will be doing some extended Trail Running in the area, elevation ( thin air ) and general mountain training for the Emperor's Challenge HM.

@JessicaMcB Great Job on Banff considering the cold and lack of sleep.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Looks like I'll be running at 0600 tomorrow morning. My friend has a 5 mile route he goes on, he normally takes about an hour to run it. So there may be walking/hiking involved, not just running. I told him I'd go for it, but might end up walking a bunch of it or ducking out early.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I have fallen off the face of the earth, lol. I tend to do that, haha. I'm still running though, my hips been irritated so had to take it easy for awhile, but I'm still trucking along
    6/4-8 miles
    6/6-2 miles
    6/7-5 miles
    6/13-6 miles
    6/18-5 miles
    6/19-8 miles
    Total-34 miles

Question, what running belt or bag do you carry for marathons? I have one in 2 1/2 weeks, I have no one to meet me throughout it so I'll need to carry my energy chews and misc things I'll need. I will be walking a big chunk of it so it will take me about 6 1/2 hours, so I will need to be prepared