June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty love the shirt!!! Love the color! So cute! Dang, I may have to get a pink one now!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent I have to ask where you run/live, 369m elev/21.2 km = 17.41m/km impressive elevation.

Near Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I ran with my new Forerunner watch. It was right on with RunKeeper. I think I will continue to use both since I usually walk after running to cool down, sometimes upwards of a mile or 2. I like to keep track of the extra mileage to track my sneakers.

This watch is so much better than my Fitbit was!
    You are a terrible, terrible person to have sent me down that rabbit hole.

So, um, what model did you get?
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent I have to ask where you run/live, 369m elev/21.2 km = 17.41m/km impressive elevation.
    Near Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
    I understand, I flew through Pittsburgh a few times and remember the Rolling Hills that I saw from the plane coming into the airport.
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    June 19 - 5 miles
    June total 57.5/75

Thunderstorms came thru tonight and cooled temps down 75 at 7:30. After they cleared out it was extremely pleasant running weather.

I will be going to the beach on Wednesday, hopefully there will be some good running terrain there.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    I ran with my new Forerunner watch. It was right on with RunKeeper. I think I will continue to use both since I usually walk after running to cool down, sometimes upwards of a mile or 2. I like to keep track of the extra mileage to track my sneakers.

This watch is so much better than my Fitbit was!
    You are a terrible, terrible person to have sent me down that rabbit hole.

So, um, what model did you get?

I got the 235. I couldn't justify getting anything more expensive since I probably won't even use all the features of the 235. It's a nice watch!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    So I'm looking at the data from my run this morning. Garmin is reporting that my average cadence was 195 and my max cadence was 204. That seems really high? I'm pretty short at 5ft. Would that be why?

Had to go look at your prior post. 6 miles in 58:35, and this is the same run that had an average cadence of 195? That would imply a stride length of ~0.84 m. I don't know how reasonable this is for a 5 ft tall person running at a pace of ~9:46 per mile. Does this seem realistic to you? Your cadence is high enough for me to wonder if there's a measurement issue, but not so high that it looks impossible.

Shorter runners will need a faster cadence to run at the same pace as taller runners. Studies have been done on elite distance runners, and the results show shorter runners have faster cadence while taller runners have longer stride. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between height and performance in distance running, though taller runners seem to have an advantage in sprinting.

For comparison, I'm 5' 10" and my 5K race yesterday showed on Garmin with an average cadence of 191 and a max of 222. That was at an average pace of 6:18 per mile. On my more common easy runs, I have a lower cadence; today it was average 177, max 183. Today's run was very controlled by heart rate with few hills; normally I see a greater variation between average and max cadence. My average stride was 1.15m today and 1.36m in yesterday's race. These stride lengths look normal to me for how I was running.

Ok. I try to have good form and I definitely try not to over stride after reading an article about it. So it must be my short legs have to turn over more often to cover the same distance.
  • azellz
    azellz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is a wonderful idea! However, since the beginning of data collection on City of Phoenix temperatures (about 150 years) there have been 12 days over 118 degrees... and today was one of them. We're having a real scorcher of a summer and I honestly think it would be dangerous to run in this heat. Is this going to continue into the fall months?? (please say yes!)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Hi @azellz - Welcome to this crazy group. There is a challenge every month and will definitely go on into the fall months! I saw today that they had to cancel flights in and out of Phoenix today because of the heat! Definitely not healthy to try running in that! Maybe some dreadmill runs instead?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @PastorVincent what was that about DOMS? :smiley:

DOMS are like that annoying family member that likes to drop in unannounced at the worst times...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 5.20 miles (also starting a diet change to increase carbs slightly)
    6/2 - rest
    6/3 - 9.00 painful and slow miles in sweltering heat with the sun beating down
    6/4 - rest
    6/5 - 5.25 miles not as hot as Sat., but still hot (need to stop making excuses for slow pace)
    6/6 - 5.37 miles - early am, so started out dark, but nice and cool out
    6/7 - 5.00 miles (early am, nice and cool again... had to add some distance to get up to the full 5 miles)
    6/8 - 13.18 miles (started out 3am and tired along with GI distress, terrible pace but stuck with it - improved as I got to the last few miles - average total pace 11:13)
    6/9 - rest (backpacking in evening, not counting non-running miles)
    6/10 - rest (backpacking, not counting non-running miles)
    6/11 - rest (backpacking, not counting non-running miles)
    6/12 - 6.60 miles, fairly warm, totally new area while traveling for work, slow average pace
    6/13 - 6.93 miles, still warm, new area (paved trails mostly today), slow - need to work on that speed
    6/14 - 6.12 miles, not quite as warm, but 74% humidity still was tough - still slow
    6/15 - rest
    6/16 - rest
    6/17 - 14.30 miles... hot, slow pace. Stopped and re-filled my water bottle 3 times.
    6/18 - rest
    6/19 - 6.19 miles - plan was for 7 miles, but got started late because I woke up with low BG (46 mg/dl). Still could have done 7 miles, but ended early because the stuff I ate for the low BG was causing some issues.
    6/20 - 6.83 miles. Good pacing, so almost no walking. Still slower than I want, but at least kept pace more even.

exercise.png

6/24 - Glacier National Park Half Marathon
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @JessicaMcB Congratulations on finishing Banff! Sorry it was a bad experience. That's a good sign your knee only subluxated once and it was only one. I don't know how you do it. You're an inspiration!

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB -sorry your Banff run wasn't great, and judging from that photo,there wasn't a lot of trail surface to be seen!!

next time..next time....

@Orphia :D:D:D
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I really want to tell you guys about my weekend but each time I come on here I have to spend half an hour reading back and run out of time!!! Later maybe....
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    3.8 mile run on treadmill with extreme incline

exercise.png

Congrats to @JessicaMcB
    @girlinahat some times you just have to post and then read. We want to hear your stories too.