June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat Your post with the map totally cracked me up!!! :smiley: The bit about the pile of stones was amazing!!

Now I've got Map Envy, and am an even worse Anglophile. (DH is a pommy.)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 in answer to your question about getting into a run in the morning – I struggle TBH.

My routine in the morning is for my alarm to go off, I get dressed immediately and use the bathroom, drink a glass of water then head out. Any more faffing and I’ll be under the duvet for another 40 minutes. I don’t do enough active stretching or warm-up, I know that. It cuts into my running time!!! But I tend to skip with high knees, and swing my arms around to get them loose. I might do some lunges, or side twists all while heading down the street. Then I warm up with a brisk walk for a few minutes (again, not enough). But my legs are STILL wooden for about the first mile or so.

There’s been a couple of lazy days where I’ve just run around the park for a short run, but actually I’m finding that I feel so awful during it because I’m not settled in, it’s better to go further. This morning I did a slow longer run, and I don’t know if it’s the heat or tiredness but I struggled. Maybe running fasted is better kept for the colder weather.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    easy 4.5 at 10 minute a mile pace. Started carbo-loading today. Not adding too many extra calories but shifting to larger % of complex carbs.

exercise.png
  • From_Within_
    From_Within_ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Help! I need motivation!!
    Friend me lol.
    I'm thinking of signing up for a marathon but it's really hard for me to just go run
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @From_Within Start following this. You should find people you want to know. Send them a friend request and you'll be good. I suggest reading Stan's blog if looking for advice.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    6/1- REST
    6/2- 5.2 Miles
    6/3- 19
    6/4- 4.3
    6/5- 4.2
    6/6- 3.2
    6/7- 8.0
    6/8- REST
    6/9- 3.2
    6/10- 9
    6/11- REST
    4/12- 4.0
    6/13- REST
    6/14- 5
    6/15- REST
    6/16- 3.1
    6/17- 26.2
    6/18- REST
    6/19- REST
    6/20- REST
    6/21- 5.1

Total: 100.1

Goal for June. Finish Marathon training well, taper well and run Grandma's well
    Nominal mileage goal: 100

Today's notes: Went with my trail buddy for a "nice" 5 mile trail run....lol... yeah... right.... Got in 5.1 miles with 507 feet of elevation on a mix of single track and mountain bike trails, with a tiny bit on a gravel road. Average pace is what I would expect for a trail run at 12:11. This was a LOT harder than I was expecting, but it felt good to be running, and was nice to know that this neophyte trail runner can run OK.

Ok, question for the group on calorie logging for this run, and trail runs with elevation in general....Garmin and Strava both recorded ~600 calories burned for the run. using the 0.63xWeightxDistance, got me like 420.... So here's my question, how the heck do I log this? For the effort, 420 doesn't seem right, but neither does 600+.

Have a runderful day all!

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 50k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Ok, question for the group on calorie logging for this run, and trail runs with elevation in general....Garmin and Strava both recorded ~600 calories burned for the run. using the 0.63xWeightxDistance, got me like 420.... So here's my question, how the heck do I log this? For the effort, 420 doesn't seem right, but neither does 600+.

IME Strava always way over estimates calories no matter what the run is. When I track the same run with (all my runs have elevation)

10 Miles, 894 feet

Strava : 1609
    RunKeeper : 1379
    Apple Watch : 1043

Again, same run all three apps. I think that Apple Watch's numbers are the most accurate of the three. So based on that I would throw out the 600 calorie number you got from Strava. :smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

IME Strava always way over estimates calories no matter what the run is. When I track the same run with (all my runs have elevation)

10 Miles, 894 feet

Strava : 1609
    RunKeeper : 1379
    Apple Watch : 1043

Again, same run all three apps. I think that Apple Watch's numbers are the most accurate of the three. So based on that I would throw out the 600 calorie number you got from Strava. :smiley:

yeah, the Strava is always too high. I just have no basis for estimating calories on trail..... Road is easy, and I trust my estimates, trail, with it's slower pace, but greater elevation is harder for me.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    yeah, the Strava is always too high. I just have no basis for estimating calories on trail..... Road is easy, and I trust my estimates, trail, with it's slower pace, but greater elevation is harder for me.

Did you try the link I sent? See what it gives.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat -Yep, your morning routine sounds about identical to how I usually am in the morning. I just get up and go because I am always cutting it close on time. It's that part of my brain that tells me to sleep in until the last possible minute and then I am scurrying around to fit it all in. As with you, my first mile in the AM has always been a slow one. Recently though, I have been so stiff and sore that the thought of running right out of the gate is actually dreadful. I feel like I need at least a half hour of lolly-gagging just to get my joints to loosen up! It's hell to get old!!
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    It's time to replace my FitBit. I'm looking at the Garmin Vivoactive HR ($200). Does anyone have any thoughts on it or experience with it? I wanted something waterproof so I can wear it swimming and during OCRs. Running is my main focus, but I do other activities, too, and I liked the price. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Did you try the link I sent? See what it gives.

just tried it. Just tricky figuring out average grade, since it was an out and back. Looks like ~525 might have been more accurate