June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @honunui love the picture in the pool and of course the snorkeling photos are beautiful
    @katharmonic and @mobycarp you could have written each other posts last night “speed work, hate it going into it, love it after”
    @bruinsgal_91 I know Meb was shaking ha ha too bad you already had a commitment
    @garygse sorry your pictures didn’t turn out, I would have loved to see them
    @lporter229 Skip has fought with Achilles tendinitis and it truly seemed to take forever for her to be 100% again. Hers was so bad she was in a boot for 6 weeks, then no running for 2 then she was allowed to start back with 1 mile a day for 3 days and slowly added there. She got in August and missed almost the entire cross country season.
    @amymoreorless the coach tells Skip to pretend like she has potato chips in her thumb and index finger, you need to hold them enough not to drop them, but you won’t want to break them.
    @stoshew71 I love your way of checking ha ha
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    *Shrugs* I know you SHOULD warm up. All respectable training plans call for it, but, eh, ain't nobody got time for that ;)

We got these Fleet Feet sponsored training run groups. I always giggle when I watch them start in the morning when we cross paths. They get in a circle and do the arm circles and this and that. I'm like, "bye, time to run".

I do start slow and by a half mile in I can get going. On a rough day (after a hard workout the day before) it can take a mile maybe 2 miles before I finally feel loose.
  • SpiritHippo
    SpiritHippo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB I can't believe you kept going after hurting your knee so bad that you vomited from pain! I hope there is no long term damage for that! I follow many running related feeds on Instagram and actually most reviews of Banff said they enjoyed exploring the area and the views but would not run the marathon again.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »

I think some of the calorie estimates are also gross calories burned, so you are seeing the result of: x calories burned for activity + y calories burned just for breathing. Of course, can still be a wide discrepancy.

Probably. Apple Watch (aka Workout aka Health Kit) tracks what it calls "Active Calories" which based on the docs is essentially net calories. To the best of my knowledge, RunKeeper and Strava make no such claim, so they might be gross calories. Still puts Strava way out of line though.

Still, it really is all just guesstimates. I am using Apple's numbers for now and if my weight moves more than +/- 3 pounds I will reconsider.
  • SpiritHippo
    SpiritHippo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I enjoyed reading the account of that run with your friend. Trail runs are brutal! It was obviously a nice change of pace for you though.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    *Shrugs* I know you SHOULD warm up. All respectable training plans call for it, but, eh, ain't nobody got time for that ;)

I do start slow and by a half mile in I can get going. On a rough day (after a hard workout the day before) it can take a mile maybe 2 miles before I finally feel loose.

This is me too. I guess I am just whining because all of my days have become "rough" lately...LOL.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    Got my Fenix 5 in last night and took it out for a run this morning. I'm still trying to figure a few things out but I had issues with the heart rate monitor (I think) during my run. It had my heart rate up really high (157 bpm for a 10 min/mile) and I don't think it was right. I'm pretty sure I have a decent placement and it doesn't move around but does anyone have any recommendations on how to make sure it has a good read?

Even while sitting here at my desk it seems a little high, it is reading 72-74 bpm while resting where as my Fitbit generally had me around a 57 bpm. How can I tell which one is right? Is my rest HR really that high?

Are the contacts wet? I know they make a gel but I haven't tried it. Resting hr may not be sitting doing work. Maybe more like lying down for a bit. Position, hydration and time of day mater. Of course caffeine too.

Mine has always run high. My walk yesterday was 131 to 162. Runs are always 180+. I will do the manual count like Vince said and my phone has a janky pulse reader with the red light. It seems to be lower than my Garmin, but below 150 it's right on. So idk if there's something unique to my anatomy or if it's just wrong. This is my second strap and both are consistent.

I asked Garmin about it, it can be placement. But I've not found that magic pick up spot yet.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I just saw this article today. I think I would not have finished, if I were him...

"I really wanted to finish the race." (Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon)
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Nice 5 miles today.
    exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Bakins929 wrote: »
    I just saw this article today. I think I would not have finished, if I were him...

Hmm says was only 30 yards from the finish line. I probably would have pushed for completion too at that distance. If it was like 2 miles, then no... but 30 yards and that close to your goal time? Yeah, I think I would have walked it in too.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Bakins929 wrote: »

Hmm says was only 30 yards from the finish line. I probably would have pushed for completion too at that distance. If it was like 2 miles, then no... but 30 yards and that close to your goal time? Yeah, I think I would have walked it in too.

I would have crawled if I had to.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

6/1: 8.7k -w/u, Tempo Run, c/d-
    6/2: 10.3k -again Tempo-
    6/4: 7.1k - urban running
    6/6: 14.1k -Long run-
    6/7: 7.3k -Easy run-
    6/8: 1.5k -treadmill as w/u for strength training-
    6/10: 9k -urban running-
    6/12: 5k -2.5k run, 0.66km swim, 2.5k run-
    6/13: 11k - beach run-
    6/14: 3k -as wu and cd for strength training-
    6/16: 10k -urban run-
    6/17: 7.5k -easy run-
    6/20: 10.1k -painfull run-
    6/21: 11.3k -2k w/u, 7.2k Tempo, 2.1k c/d-

Aim: 115.9k/161k

Asics GT 1000-5. Running on grass. It went perfect this time!

Stay free of injuries!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I heard about it later in the day. He finished about 4.25 hours before me, since the half started an hour 30 before the full..... crazy, but I would have been the same way... I winder if he got mad at them for not stopping his Garmin?

That is why I have "auto pause" turned on in RunKeeper! :smiley: Can not depend on people to be thinking of such things.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @autumnblade75 sorry it didn't go as you wanted, but still a great time. I saw the article on the bear killing the boy, my first thought also was how do you text with a bear chasing you. Such a shame. Geesh they couldn't get you the right shirt. ugh! I brought a new to me car and it has the key fob and button to start it, but I had to laugh at your watching a video.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Anyone on here know about wrist HRMs? New GPS watch I'm looking at has one, and I'm wondering on accuracy, as I'm used to using a chest strap.