June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

@PastorVincent - I use Garmin Connect to track all of my running stats. Strava, for me, is just a social site that I use to keep in touch with fellow runners, like this group (although I am embarrassed to admit how long it's been since I have checked in).

Ah. I have used RunKeeper for probably a decade now. Only grabbed Strava for this group heh.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Anyone on here know about wrist HRMs? New GPS watch I'm looking at has one, and I'm wondering on accuracy, as I'm used to using a chest strap.

I have found my garmin vivoactive HR+ has similar results to my old Garmin 305 with a chest strap. When I tested it, it was within a couple of beats. There used to be difference but I think as the tech has improved the wrist HRM's have become more reliable.

• BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @PastorVincent thanks for that input. I generally wear my watch pretty tight, so maybe the sliding wouldn't be a problem. I don't run short sprints by HR. I monitor HR on my Easy Runs, Tempo Runs and Long Runs, and that's about it. The 935 is my top pick, I really was only stuck on the optical HR.

Basically, it comes down to, I like running long, and eventually I will have a 50 mile and a 100k in my future, and I need more than the 11 hours my 230 gives me, I need at least 13 hours for 50 mile, based on current times using the McMillan Calculator. Since my wife is getting into running, it's a good time for me to upgrade and give her my 230.

The 13 hours, I understand. My 630 is supposedly good for 12 hours with GLONASS turned on, something more without it; I'd have to go look at the marketing claims. The watches designed for triathletes need better battery life, because it takes a long time to complete an iron man tri.

I won't buy a watch with a wrist HR monitor, unless I can override it to use my chest strap. I can believe that the wrist-based technology is or will be accurate enough; I can't believe it will pick up my HR through three layers of sleeves when I run in the winter. Wearing it under the outermost layer is a non-starter, because then I can't see the watch when I'm running.

A friend of mine says he just wears the HR monitor watch on his wrist, between his sleeves and his glove. I'm willing to believe that might work OK down to about 25º F if there's no significant wind. I don't even want to test it at 15º F and below. I know my chest strap HR monitor works just fine with my 630 mounted outside my outermost sleeves down to single digits F; I don't know how cold it gets in northern Minnesota, but I suspect you'll be running more in sub-zero weather than I do.

I live in Florida, and I just came back from a nice easy run. The temperature is 88°F right now. I can't decide if the idea of running at 25°F terrifies me or excites me!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    6/1 = Gym day; 3 miles on the treadmill and 40 minutes of strength training
    6/2 = 6 miles
    6/3 = 6 miles & strength training
    6/4 = 13.9 miles (run/walk)
    6/5 = 8.1 miles & strength training
    6/6 = rest day
    6/7 = 8 miles (with 6 - 5 minute speed intervals)
    6/8 = 5.5 miles
    6/9 = 6 miles
    6/10 = Hatha yoga class
    6/11 = 10 miles (run/walk)
    6/12 = 4 miles & strength training
    6/13 = Vinyasa yoga class
    6/14 = 7.5 miles
    6/15 = 5.5 miles
    6/16 = 6 miles & strength training
    6/17 = 3 miles (5k race so technically 3.2 - rounding down)
    6/18 = 13 miles
    6/19 = 5 miles & strength training
    6/20 = Vinyasa yoga class
    6/21 = 8 miles (with 6 - 5 minute speed intervals)
    6/22 = 5.5 miles & kettlebell workout

Got up at 4:30am to fit in my run and kettlebell gym workout before an early morning meeting. I am going to crash this afternoon/evening -- Hopefully not at my desk at work! I instructed my office mates to start throwing office supplies at my head if they hear me snoring.

I just looked back at my month and realized that it has been a while since I have taken a rest day. Thunderstorms are predicted this weekend due to the tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico. I am thinking of scheduling a lazy, stay in PJs and read, Saturday. :)

(June miles to date) 124/150 (June goal miles)

Upcoming 2017 Races:
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    11/23 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/10 = BCS Half Marathon
  • SpiritHippo
    SpiritHippo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless Your 4:30 AM run completion is impressive! I had a 6 AM outside run scheduled this morning and hadn't slept last night so I was a zombie and didn't go. Instead, I went to work early so that I can leave early and run at the gym.

Strangely, I frequently enjoy the runs on the treadmill more than my runs outside. I sometimes find my outside running to be a lot more difficult on my legs and knees. Though it is nice to physically see the end point ahead of you. On the other hand, I usually stay for more miles on the treadmill even if it is added only by walk/running.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - There are two theories among runners with respect to autopause. One theory says, you shouldn't be penalized for the time you were stopped. The other theory says, the clock doesn't stop on race day. You get to decide which theory is more appropriate for your needs. I believe your goal was a sub-4 hour marathon? To get that, you need to be sub-4, including any stops along the way for a port-a-pot or aid station.

I got to thinking about that last training cycle, when I found myself pausing the watch after 8 or 10 miles when the training group took a break to regroup. I decided that for me, the long stops should be cut out of the training so they don't mess with how accurate my target pace is. (As a pacer, I'm responsible for being as close to the assigned pace as reasonably possible.) But for the marathon, the watch keeps running. I just didn't worry about the minute or so lost to the port-a-pot, because many of my training runs included breaks and finishing time wasn't the important goal for that particular race.

Solo long runs, I try to run without breaks. I don't have a whole lot of truly long runs that are solo, but I do pretty well at keeping moving on the moderately long 10 mile runs.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - There are two theories among runners with respect to autopause. One theory says, you shouldn't be penalized for the time you were stopped. The other theory says, the clock doesn't stop on race day. You get to decide which theory is more appropriate for your needs. I believe your goal was a sub-4 hour marathon? To get that, you need to be sub-4, including any stops along the way for a port-a-pot or aid station.

I got to thinking about that last training cycle, when I found myself pausing the watch after 8 or 10 miles when the training group took a break to regroup. I decided that for me, the long stops should be cut out of the training so they don't mess with how accurate my target pace is. (As a pacer, I'm responsible for being as close to the assigned pace as reasonably possible.) But for the marathon, the watch keeps running. I just didn't worry about the minute or so lost to the port-a-pot, because many of my training runs included breaks and finishing time wasn't the important goal for that particular race.

Solo long runs, I try to run without breaks. I don't have a whole lot of truly long runs that are solo, but I do pretty well at keeping moving on the moderately long 10 mile runs.

I don't usually do the auto pause thing because I agree with the school of thought that the clock does not stop during a race. However, if there are situations that I need to stop during a training run to use a public restroom, fill my water bottle, or wait for a group that will take more time than normal, I leave my watch running until my heart rate comes back down into my recovery range (by feel) and then pause it. This way, I am kind of accounting for any benefit I got from the recovery without too much of a hit to my actual running pace. If I take an extended water break due to heat, I consider that extra rest to be sort of like an equalizer since I likely won't be racing in 80+ degree temps. Usually, though, I try not to stop on my runs if I don't have to. I do not pause my watch at traffic lights, etc.

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 are you in Boston for the BAA 10k on Sunday?

• shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    No run for me today. I don't think I'll do any kind of workout today since Thursday is a busy day for me. So, rest day!

I don't run with a watch of any kind. I have a FitBit Charge HR but don't really use it anymore. I use the MapMyRun app but hear it's not all that accurate. But, since I'm not really training for anything in particular I'm not sure if I really care all that much?

And, I downloaded the 13.1 trainer from ZenLabs but it's a walk/run app only so it doesn't really get me to running a 13.1. Any suggestions on an app that trains for running the whole 13.1?
  • AmyOutOfControl
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »
    No run for me today. I don't think I'll do any kind of workout today since Thursday is a busy day for me. So, rest day!

I don't run with a watch of any kind. I have a FitBit Charge HR but don't really use it anymore. I use the MapMyRun app but hear it's not all that accurate. But, since I'm not really training for anything in particular I'm not sure if I really care all that much?

And, I downloaded the 13.1 trainer from ZenLabs but it's a walk/run app only so it doesn't really get me to running a 13.1. Any suggestions on an app that trains for running the whole 13.1?

MapMyRun had a 13.1 training plan. They have three levels of difficulty you can choose from and they calculate your easy and tempo pace from previously recorded runs. I am using it now and like it. Warning: You have to pay for the premium membership for any guided training plans over 10k. I signed up when they had a special yearly membership deal in January.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    Options
    @amymoreorless Your 4:30 AM run completion is impressive! I had a 6 AM outside run scheduled this morning and hadn't slept last night so I was a zombie and didn't go. Instead, I went to work early so that I can leave early and run at the gym.

Strangely, I frequently enjoy the runs on the treadmill more than my runs outside. I sometimes find my outside running to be a lot more difficult on my legs and knees. Though it is nice to physically see the end point ahead of you. On the other hand, I usually stay for more miles on the treadmill even if it is added only by walk/running.

Yeah, I don't think this getting up at 4:30am thing is going to happen very often. I am wiped and its only 11 am! I have trouble with the outside of my knees hurting on the treadmill -- I generally avoid it.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I am starting to really hate my summer schedule. I have no time to run on Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday. That means I have only four days a week to run, which just doesn't feel like enough.

Getting up early is no longer an option. I simply cannot wake up. Even waking up for work is a huge struggle. I am so groggy and have zero energy. So running has to be in the afternoon/evening. That means either very hot temps or the treadmill. I'm fine with both, really.

Anyway, due to my crappy schedule I may not reach my goal this month. Next month I'm moving, which means there will be a weekend or two in there that's spoken for. So July's not looking good either.

Can't wait for September. Maybe then I can get some decent mileage.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp @lporter229 - Yeah I go back and forth on it myself. So sure on race day, the clock does not stop... BUT on race day I am not stuck at intersections waiting on traffic, nor do I have to stop to refill water since they have water at the race that I can get in 5 seconds even if I stop (I usually do). Also on race day, I do not have neighbors come out and bug me or have to deal with dogs. So it is hard to equate race day to long runs in this respect. I would PREFER to run non-stop and eliminate the question, but eh, we have to live/run in the real world.

I know I can hit pause, but it is highly likely I will forget to hit start. :) So it is either auto-pause or never pause really. I can not trust myself enough for a middle ground.

I really care more about which is a more accurate indication of fitness progress, but I do not know if that is really knowable? I could easily argue against either.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options

Nope for a class. Teaching a new class next year called AP Comp Sci Principles. So it's training for that class.
    The class is all day Sat/Sun so I wouldn't be able to do that run. But that makes me wonder... I was going to run along the Charles River - hopefully that isn't where the BAA run is!
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »

MapMyRun had a 13.1 training plan. They have three levels of difficulty you can choose from and they calculate your easy and tempo pace from previously recorded runs. I am using it now and like it. Warning: You have to pay for the premium membership for any guided training plans over 10k. I signed up when they had a special yearly membership deal in January.

I used the sister app MapMyFitness' training plan for a 10K, that I got for free at the beginning of the year. I really liked it because it was a gradual but steady increase in mileage along with interval, tempo, and stride runs based on my already recorded workout history. It challenged me without making me feel like I wanted to die, lol!
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    June 22 – 3.0 miles Easy Run

Total: 72.25 miles/100 miles

Upcoming Race:
    June 23 – St. Pete Beach Series, Race #1, 5K
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »

Nope for a class. Teaching a new class next year called AP Comp Sci Principles. So it's training for that class.
    The class is all day Sat/Sun so I wouldn't be able to do that run. But that makes me wonder... I was going to run along the Charles River - hopefully that isn't where the BAA run is!

@ddmom0811 - here you go. As long as you avoid Comm Ave, you should be OK.

http://www.baa.org/races/10k/event-information/course-map.aspx