June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me why my last run didn't count in my montly/weekly milage in garmin connect, although it appears in activity section? Nor it counted to my goal set for this month. But when I go to calendar I can see that it is included to my weekly/monthly distance and to my monthly goals. Any idea why this happening?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat thanks for the advice.... My ramblings yesterday were the result of coffee (I don't drink much caffeine anymore). I'm lucky that my first few trail runs have been with an experienced trail/ultra runner, and he said exactly what you did, though we did run up the hills, just as a workout. I'm looking more and more at core workouts, because I KNOW that's a weak area for me.

As for getting hooked on trail running, that happened in the first Grueling mile on Wednesday.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    Easy 2.5 miles just to stretch the legs. HM is tomorrow, can't wait. Interesting one on my small run today. Random car tosses an egg in my direction.

exercise.png

Wait... WHAT?
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Easy 2.5 miles just to stretch the legs. HM is tomorrow, can't wait. Interesting one on my small run today. Random car tosses an egg in my direction.

exercise.png

Where do you live that people randomly toss eggs are runners???
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Good luck with the foot. Don't let it keep you in hypochondriac mode too long.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    6/1 - 6 miles
    6/2 - 4 miles
    6/3 - rest day
    6/4 - 7 miles
    6/5 - 3 miles
    6/6 - rest day
    6/7 - 4 miles (the Big Run 5K and warm up)
    6/8 - unscheduled rest day
    6/9 - 4 miles
    6/10 - 3 miles
    6/11 - 7 miles
    6/12 - 3 miles of recovery
    6/13 - rest day
    6/14 - 7 miles
    6/15 - 3 miles of recovery
    6/16 - 5K and 1 mile of warmup
    6/17 - rest day
    6/18 - 6 miles
    6/19 - rest day
    6/20 - unscheduled rest day
    6/21 - 8 miles
    6/22 – ugh 0 miles
    6/23 - 5 miles

74 of 70 miles

exercise.png

Humid morning, legs felt tired, I know my hydration has been awful I really need to work on that. Started to rain on and off pretty good at mile 3.5, thank you Lord! It felt good.

Leaving in the morning for Florida for a week of packing up Mom's house and closing on the sale. Going to be a bittersweet week, while I'm glad to sell it, it's the last thing that tied me to her in Florida. Next Saturday Skip and I will drive home a truck of things.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @cburke8909 _Good luck on your race tomorrow. Can't wait to hear all about it!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @cburke8909 _Good luck on your race tomorrow. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Oh that is tomorrow! Cool! Good luck @cburke8909 ! Trust your training and all that stuff :smiley:
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    June Challenge....goal is 60 miles

June 1.....8 miles
    June 14....6 miles
    June 19....6 miles
    June 21...8 miles: 14 minute miles, average heart rate at 90%.
    June 22....8 miles. 13:23 minute miles, average heart rate at 85%

Total....36 miles

Not sure if I will make my goal this month...but definitely going to try.

My start was later and I wasn't sure if I would be able to run all 8 miles before it rained. It was definitely cooler, with an occasional breeze and slightly strong head wind in places. I was able to get in my zone fairly quickly and maintain it by slowing down when it creeped up to 86-87%. No walking breaks needed, but I did stop once to re-tie my shoes. (Lately it seems that I always have to stop to re-tie shoes. I haven't seen other runners with this problem, but I'll take it over physical injury any day.) My pace was better than yesterday...I am not worried about the pace...just trying to run my miles and get stronger. Luckily the rain held and I was able to finish my run. Recently I noted that I am not as excited about running as I once was. Maybe having post vacation blahs.

My husband told me that the mailbox was demolished and that the driver must have been driving too fastby evidence of skid marks on the driveway. She hit the mailbox when over-correcting. It happened in the middle of the day...no rain or slick roads. We are going to investigate the cost of getting a post-office box instead of bothering with replacing the mailbox.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »

My husband told me that the mailbox was demolished and that the driver must have been driving too fastby evidence of skid marks on the driveway. She hit the mailbox when over-correcting. It happened in the middle of the day...no rain or slick roads. We are going to investigate the cost of getting a post-office box instead of bothering with replacing the mailbox.

We had the same thing happen last summer. The woman said a deer ran out in front of her and we have gravel roads. She does drive too fast, so our mailbox never had a chance. The husband replaced it no cost to us. I always forget about the mail at the post box and they put unhappy letter in there telling me to check it more often. I'm like "quit putting so much junk in there"!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Good luck on your half marathon. I hope that you have great weather and that you smoke it.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    No walking breaks needed, but I did stop once to re-tie my shoes. (Lately it seems that I always have to stop to re-tie shoes. I haven't seen other runners with this problem, but I'll take it over physical injury any day.)

@ereck44,

Here is a TOP SECURE TOTALLY NOT SHAREABLE SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM :wink:

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm

Seriously, learn to tie your shoes using that method and your untie problems will be gone.

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options

exercise.png

I'll add to the best wishes for your race tomorrow, and I hope you caught that egg...great source of protein and yummy on toast!
  • SpiritHippo
    SpiritHippo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »

And, I downloaded the 13.1 trainer from ZenLabs but it's a walk/run app only so it doesn't really get me to running a 13.1. Any suggestions on an app that trains for running the whole 13.1?

My wife used Hal's plan to go from barely able to do a couple miles, to a 13.1 race. You can find it here:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

I just checked out that website. Thanks for sharing! It's nice that there is a training program for many different distance goals and proficiency levels
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Trying to decide if I'm being smart, or taking my run geekiness to a whole new level. Using thr McMillan calculator and recent trail runs, I've come up with different training paces to use for trail and road runs.... good idea or over thinking?
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Yeah, what @Mobycarp said. Forget about trying to use pace to train with. And HR training is limited too. Training via time and perceived effort will be the thing to do. Just because Scott Jurek can run forever on a 7 minute mile, doesn’t mean you can – if you try running for pace you’ll start getting cranky when you see 16 minute mile paces cropping up. Time on your feet is what matters and start small – if you’ve mostly been on road you are going to start using a whole new set of muscles – your core comes much more into play and same with stabilising muscles to your legs – I did a great mountain run at the beginning of the year and boy did the outsides of my calves hurt after – but I knew my ankles were getting stronger because of it.

Tips I have heard are:
    • Walk the ups, run like mad down the downs, and run the flats at an easy pace.
    • Maintain cadence and effort to be the same on all undulations
    • Consider form, form, form all the time. Your body will be needing to adapt to changing surfaces, so your pace and stride will need to adjust accordingly
    • Look at where you are GOING to place your foot not where you are NOT going to place your foot.
    • Use your arms.
    • look up - nothing more embarrassing than being laid flat by a low hanging branch!!

looking forward to seeing you hooked on trails...
    @MNLittleFinn I have to agree with everything that @girlinahat said. Especially the Forget about pace.
    I normally trudge along at about 6:00 min/km. On my Tuesday night Trail Run up hill out of the River Valley my pace went from 6:01 to 9:31/km. I was going so slow that my Garmin actually Auto Paused. I wasn't sure if I should :D or :'( .
    Two friends in the local club who did a 45km Trail run had their pace go from 4:39 to 11:42/km. To drop 7 min/km says it was some nasty stuff.
    Can't emphasise enough the Look Up so you don't get laid out by a branch and also it allows you to see the beauty of the terrain you are going through. Happy Trails my friends.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @cburke8909 good luck on the half!! WTF on the egg thrower, was it a least scrambled with bacon on the side?
    @hanlonsk great job on the 5x5 lift woohoo – I love that program for lifting
    @MNLittleFinn what Mobycarp said.and sometimes it just needs to be fun. I LOVE trail running, run, enjoy take pictures stop and just look around and listen to nature.
    @mobycarp I hope the early stop to your run last night and the rest day today take care of the Achilles issue.
    @angmarie28 I always say a 12 minute mile is just as far as a 6 minute mile
    @sliedur I’m convinced I was born to run longer distances, my entire body HATES me for the first 2 miles or so, I ignore it until I get in my rhythm
    @katharmonic love your mantra – I’m with you!
    @ereck44 Skip hit a mailbox about two months ago, she wasn’t paying attention and went off the street a bit. What started out to be $25 of damage to the mirror ended up being $1,000 of damage to her car. She’s still paying me back.

Excited today because the next town over, where we run a lot of races with the school, voted last night to turn a run down golf course into a state of the art multi use complex. Part of it will be a state of the art cross country course.  The cost will be about a million $$ of course Skip will done with XC before it’s finished but I’m sure it’ll be a great place for races. We race there now and it sucks, needs work so bad.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    6/1 = Gym day; 3 miles on the treadmill and 40 minutes of strength training
    6/2 = 6 miles
    6/3 = 6 miles & strength training
    6/4 = 13.9 miles (run/walk)
    6/5 = 8.1 miles & strength training
    6/6 = rest day
    6/7 = 8 miles (with 6 - 5 minute speed intervals)
    6/8 = 5.5 miles
    6/9 = 6 miles
    6/10 = Hatha yoga class
    6/11 = 10 miles (run/walk)
    6/12 = 4 miles & strength training
    6/13 = Vinyasa yoga class
    6/14 = 7.5 miles
    6/15 = 5.5 miles
    6/16 = 6 miles & strength training
    6/17 = 3 miles (5k race so technically 3.2 - rounding down)
    6/18 = 13 miles
    6/19 = 5 miles & strength training
    6/20 = Vinyasa yoga class
    6/21 = 8 miles (with 6 - 5 minute speed intervals)
    6/22 = 5.5 miles & kettlebell workout
    6/23 = 8.5 miles

So, I met my running group this morning because they want to start doing speed training workouts on Fridays. We met at a local middle school track and did this sprint the straights and jog the curves thing. I am not up on my running/track lingo so I don't know if this type of workout has an official name?

I felt great after and wanted to get my mileage in and take a rest day tomorrow. I drove home and then went out for another SLOW 5.5 miles. Halfway through the run, my legs started feeling like wet noodles filled with some kind of lead like substance. It was more of a shuffle/walk than run the last two miles.

(June miles to date) 132.5/150 (June goal miles)

Upcoming 2017 Races:
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    11/23 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/10 = BCS Half Marathon