June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    LOL. I love the conversation about our over-engineered cars. I have a 2012 Mini. I stopped to give a guy a jump in my neighborhood the other day and I had to pull out the owner's manual because neither of us could find my battery. And I don't even feel stupid because he is a car guy.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Thanks @MobyCarp I was thinking specifically of trail because of all the switchback and curved where I am. Just another reason I'm looking at higher battery life watches. The 935 has 24 hours supposedly, in GPS mode, so i figure that "should" get me the 14+ hours I'd need if I ever do a 50 mile or 100k, with some to spare.

Pro tip: If you're *thinking* about a 14+ hour event but it's still quite a ways off, keep using your current watch for as long as it's good enough for what you're doing *now*. That way, when you really need the longer battery life, there may be something better available than is on the market right now. Then when you really need it, buy the best you can afford when you need it.

There's no sense dropping $400 or $600 on a fancy watch you don't yet need, only to have a newer, fancier one available for the same price when you end up needing it.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    LOL. I love the conversation about our over-engineered cars. I have a 2012 Mini. I stopped to give a guy a jump in my neighborhood the other day and I had to pull out the owner's manual because neither of us could find my battery. And I don't even feel stupid because he is a car guy.

Is it in the boot like mine? I just like calling it a boot since I'm an American (Ancestral relocated European. So I can say "boot". Gotz the DNA test to prove it).

ETA I Wish those monkeys at AutoZone would have told me they can reset it. But then, I have to reset the oil change myself because the monkeys there don't know how.. I can reset the log/service thing. It'd prob clear it. But that will restart the timer on my oil, brakes, ect...
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Is it in the boot like mine? I just like calling it a boot since I'm an American (Ancestral relocated European).

ETA I Wish those monkeys at AutoZone would have told me they can reset it. But then, I have to reset the oil change myself because the monkeys there don't know how.. I can reset the log/service thing. It'd prob clear it. But that will restart the timer on my oil, brakes, ect...

No, it's hidden inside a little case in the firewall of the car that I never would have found. My husband has a BMW and his is in the boot too, so that was the second place I looked!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Thanks @MobyCarp I was thinking specifically of trail because of all the switchback and curved where I am. Just another reason I'm looking at higher battery life watches. The 935 has 24 hours supposedly, in GPS mode, so i figure that "should" get me the 14+ hours I'd need if I ever do a 50 mile or 100k, with some to spare.

Pro tip: If you're *thinking* about a 14+ hour event but it's still quite a ways off, keep using your current watch for as long as it's good enough for what you're doing *now*. That way, when you really need the longer battery life, there may be something better available than is on the market right now. Then when you really need it, buy the best you can afford when you need it.

There's no sense dropping $400 or $600 on a fancy watch you don't yet need, only to have a newer, fancier one available for the same price when you end up needing it.

@MNLittleFinn this is excellent advice.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

@MNLittleFinn this is excellent advice.

Excellent advice, Thanks guys. I was just starting to think along those lines.... It takes me a while to come back around to common sense. There are other, less expensive things I have a more current use for For example, I like my hydration belt for hiking , but not running and am looking at vests, those are a lot cheaper than a watch... well the ones I've looked at are. Next summer/fall would be the ABSOLUTE soonest I'd need a longer battery life so, the next model would be out anyway..... assuming I don't hate trail running after my 50k...LOL
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Finally 50k from my goal, with no rest days. I'd probably have one at the end.

I've a question about fitness trackers like polar or garmin, the devices with wrist based Heart Rate are accurate? there are other models with heart monitors more accurate?

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Finally 50k from my goal, with no rest days. I'd probably have one at the end.

I've a question about fitness trackers like polar or garmin, the devices with wrist based Heart Rate are accurate? there are other models with heart monitors more accurate?

exercise.png

Yes, wrist heart rate monitors are accurate- when worn properly. It uses the same tech that doctors and hospitals use to check your pulse. They must be worn tight against the skin to be accurate though, and many people seem to like the watches loose which hurts accuracy.

It does not have to be so tight that it cuts off circulation, just so that it does not move around and there is no gap between sensor and skin.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @ctlaws44 how so? It may be that I incorrectly told the plan the HM was Sunday instead of Saturday. It's a plan for a first time HM and it is my first but I'm already training for the full in October. I've run 19 miles at a faster pace then the plan is programmed. I think part of me is doing the taper and carb loading to get experience. Last week I had thoughts of it only being a training run but I decided it would be well worth it to test myself and go for a good time.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Is it in the boot like mine? I just like calling it a boot since I'm an American (Ancestral relocated European).

No, it's hidden inside a little case in the firewall of the car that I never would have found. My husband has a BMW and his is in the boot too, so that was the second place I looked!

I have never heard of a battery in the boot or hidden in a firewall. Although, I have a Honda Jazz and first time I opened the bonnet (lid?) I was surprised to note the engine was just turned 90degrees to get it to tuck into a tiny space. Amazingly there was room to get my hand into change a headlamp bulb. Usually I have had to pull something out or dismantle something to do that.

I say this, but my limits are checking and filling oil and washer fluid, changing tyres and bulbs and sucking air through my teeth at anything else. I wedged in a new lamp assembly once after an altercation with a taxi but that's about it.

Each car I get has more cunning stuff. I went from manual choke and manual windows (remember them?) to cruise control and some weird glass roof that I haven't seen the purpose of yet (I call it my boil in the bag roof). I love cruise control. I don't love my fuel remaining indicator which randomly chooses numbers and tings to empty shortly AFTER I've passed a filling station.

My current car has a refrigerated glove box. Where do I go from here?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @ctlaws44 how so? It may be that I incorrectly told the plan the HM was Sunday instead of Saturday. It's a plan for a first time HM and it is my first but I'm already training for the full in October. I've run 19 miles at a faster pace then the plan is programmed. I think part of me is doing the taper and carb loading to get experience. Last week I had thoughts of it only being a training run but I decided it would be well worth it to test myself and go for a good time.

LOL I think he is talking about having someone throw eggs at you while you run :)
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    So an observation about my new forerunner 235. It seems to give me far fewer calories than my Fitbit charge HR did. I'm used to large Fitbit adjustments in MFP, but Garmin seems to give me a negative adjustment after adding my "exercise". Overall my calories are much lower now so I'm always in the red - when I complete my diary for the day it tells me I'm going to gain massive calories. Not sure how accurate it is since I'm not gaining weight.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    So an observation about my new forerunner 235. It seems to give me far fewer calories than my Fitbit charge HR did. I'm used to large Fitbit adjustments in MFP, but Garmin seems to give me a negative adjustment after adding my "exercise". Overall my calories are much lower now so I'm always in the red - when I complete my diary for the day it tells me I'm going to gain massive calories. Not sure how accurate it is since I'm not gaining weight.

The first rule of dieting: All calorie counts are made up. :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Looking at the Nathan Fireball Hydration pack or the Nathan FireCatcher vest

Anyone have experience with them?
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Your link to fireball is not working but I assume you mean this one: http://amzn.to/2t4nHOD ?

If so, you should note that the Fireball does NOT come with a bladder. Never used that one myself, but not having the bladder is a big deal in a hydration pack. :smiley:
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited June 2017
    Options

Your link to fireball is not working but I assume you mean this one: http://amzn.to/2t4nHOD ?

If so, you should note that the Fireball does NOT come with a bladder. Never used that one myself, but not having the bladder is a big deal in a hydration pack. :smiley:

Yes, that one. saw it wasn't included.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent duh. I am blaming the extra carbs in that one.