June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Forgot to post yesterday, 5 fairly fast miles in the morning.
    exercise.png
    Getting caught up on thread.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Jun 04     5.0        5.0
    Jun 05     3.6        8.6
    Jun 07     3.7       12.3
    Jun 09     3.6       15.9
    Jun 10     5.1W      21.0 Bare Cove
    Jun 11     5.1       26.1
    Jun 13     3.7       29.8
    Jun 14     3.7       33.5
    Jun 17     6.2       39.7
    Jun 20     3.7       43.4
    Jun 24     3.7       47.1

• BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Humid morning, legs felt tired, I know my hydration has been awful I really need to work on that. Started to rain on and off pretty good at mile 3.5, thank you Lord! It felt good.

Leaving in the morning for Florida for a week of packing up Mom's house and closing on the sale. Going to be a bittersweet week, while I'm glad to sell it, it's the last thing that tied me to her in Florida. Next Saturday Skip and I will drive home a truck of things.

Where in Florida? I'm in St. Pete.
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Speaking of running watches, never ask a group of runners the time if you want a quick answer...this morning, someone asked the time, at which point everyone looked at their watch, started pressing buttons to cycle through various data screens, and basically it took us a good while to respond, lol.

Hahaha! I found myself scoping out everyone's watches at the race last night. I still can't decide. Vivoactive HR or Forerunner 235. It'll be a bit longer before I can buy it now. I used part of the money that I had saved for it on the registration fee for my first half marathon. About this time last year I was convinced that I'd never be able to do one. Never Ever!!! Now I'm like, sure, I'll give it a go, lol!
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    My check engine light is on, what do I do? lol! No really it is on. But it's probably just the gas cap.

I keep missing my turns staring at it trying to figure out what it wants. Anybody have any black tape?

Where's the "haha" button when you need it!!??!!
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    nFoooo wrote: »
    I gave in. The Forerunner 235 was 270$ CAD instead of the regular 400$ + on amazon so I bought one. On garmin website they are 450$ CAD.

270 CAD is something like 200-205 USD for my American friends.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm thinking of going with the 235 as well. Is it new or refurbished?
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    So, I'm not a big music person, I like good music, but, I just can't zone out to it, it's more of a background noise, but I like to watch documentaries while I run on the treadmill, it helps me zone out and focus on something while I run other than I'm still running, I dont watch much TV, i like to listen to it, but not to just watch it, well it finally clicked "podcasts" yes. Downloaded an app, and yes, thats what ill be listening to during my marathon, hahaha.

I listen to music for the same reason I always wear a hat and sunglasses when I run. I'm an urban runner surrounded by a quarter of a million of my "closest" friends, and all the traffic and noise to go along with them. My gear is strictly to block all of the auditory and visual noise. I actually listen to classical music when I run, lol! It helps me focus. Yeah, I'm so weird.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

cburke8909 wrote: »
    1:52:50 unofficial time. HM finished 5 minutes ahead of my 30 year old brother.
    Yay!!! Congrats!!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    **I won't be online to post in this thread again until July! If I finish the HM on Sat., I will meet goal. ETA: It should be 96 miles as of today, not sure why it shows 93 because the ticker even shows 96 when I'm looking at it on the tickerfactory website. :(

6/1 - 5.20 miles (also starting a diet change to increase carbs slightly)
    6/2 - rest
    6/3 - 9.00 painful and slow miles in sweltering heat with the sun beating down
    6/4 - rest
    6/5 - 5.25 miles not as hot as Sat., but still hot (need to stop making excuses for slow pace)
    6/6 - 5.37 miles - early am, so started out dark, but nice and cool out
    6/7 - 5.00 miles (early am, nice and cool again... had to add some distance to get up to the full 5 miles)
    6/8 - 13.18 miles (started out 3am and tired along with GI distress, terrible pace but stuck with it - improved as I got to the last few miles - average total pace 11:13)
    6/9 - rest (backpacking in evening, not counting non-running miles)
    6/10 - rest (backpacking, not counting non-running miles)
    6/11 - rest (backpacking, not counting non-running miles)
    6/12 - 6.60 miles, fairly warm, totally new area while traveling for work, slow average pace
    6/13 - 6.93 miles, still warm, new area (paved trails mostly today), slow - need to work on that speed
    6/14 - 6.12 miles, not quite as warm, but 74% humidity still was tough - still slow
    6/15 - rest
    6/16 - rest
    6/17 - 14.30 miles... hot, slow pace. Stopped and re-filled my water bottle 3 times.
    6/18 - rest
    6/19 - 6.19 miles - plan was for 7 miles, but got started late because I woke up with low BG (46 mg/dl). Still could have done 7 miles, but ended early because the stuff I ate for the low BG was causing some issues.
    6/20 - 6.83 miles. Good pacing, so almost no walking. Still slower than I want, but at least kept pace more even.
    6/21 - Unplanned rest day. Plan was for 7 miles on a traveling (driving) day. Fell behind on driving schedule and not feeling well anyway. Stomach upset due to poor nutrition on the road and dehydration (worsened by sickness).
    6/22 - 3.07 miles. Got up before sunrise and banged out some miles on the dreadmill. Not enough, so I'm still behind schedule a bit. I need about 2 more miles + the HM on Sat. to reach goal (no running after the HM because I'll be backpacking).
    6/22B - 3.03 miles on a trail. Not high quality miles... still nutritional issues.

exercise.png

6/24 - Glacier National Park Half Marathon
    6/25 - Rest (Backpack Glacier National Park, not counting non-running miles)
    6/26 - Rest (Backpack Glacier National Park, not counting non-running miles)
    6/27 - Rest (Backpack Glacier National Park, not counting non-running miles)
    6/28 - Rest (Backpack Glacier National Park, not counting non-running miles)
    6/29 - Rest (Backpack Glacier National Park, not counting non-running miles)
    6/30 - Rest (Backpack Glacier National Park, not counting non-running miles)

I have a weak signal, so maybe this works... No updates on the ticker, but just finished the Glacier National Park Half Marathon with 2:10:07 official chip time. Faster than expected for my first HM.

Well done!!! Congrats!!

• Bakins929
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    So, I'm not a big music person, I like good music, but, I just can't zone out to it, it's more of a background noise, but I like to watch documentaries while I run on the treadmill, it helps me zone out and focus on something while I run other than I'm still running, I dont watch much TV, i like to listen to it, but not to just watch it, well it finally clicked "podcasts" yes. Downloaded an app, and yes, thats what ill be listening to during my marathon, hahaha.

I really liked a series called S Town, made by makers of This American Life, which is also a good podcast. S Town is 7 episodes, about an hour each, but I found it riveting. The Moth is good, Freakonomics is always pretty interesting. There are several running podcasts also, Run Buzz, Brew Drink Run is a podcast aimed at brewers and those who enjoy craft beers and running to burn off the calories. I used to listen to books, but there are so many great podcasts out there, I don't often have free time to listen to books anymore.
  • Bakins929
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    1:52:50 unofficial time. HM finished 5 minutes ahead of my 30 year old brother.

Congrats! What a great time, and beating your brother is always a plus!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    June Running Totals (miles)
    6/1 – 8.25 warm up, speed work, cool down
    6/2 – rest day
    6/3 – 12.18 solo + group run
    6/4 – 7.21 easy with fast finish
    6/5 – 7.07 easy
    6/6 – 11.05 warm up, speed work, cool down
    6/7 – 7.38 group run
    6/8 – 5.33 warm up, easy speed work, cool down
    6/9 – 3.01 warm up + McMullen Mile
    6/10 – 15.01 group run 6 + solo run 9
    6/11 – 10.01 hot and sunny
    6/12 – 10.06 hot with hills
    6/13 – 8.64 warm up, speed work, cool down
    6/14 – 10.04 easy
    6/15 AM – 5.05 easy with rain
    6/15 PM – 4.88 commute, time trial, cheering laps
    6/16 – rest day
    6/17 – 13.32 paced run for 8 + extra miles
    6/18 – 12.03 warm up, race, easy run
    6/19 – 9.77 easy
    6/20 – 8.38 warm up, speed work, cool down
    6/21 – 10.22 easy
    6/22 – 0.86 aborted warmup and easy run test
    6/23 – rest day
    6/24 – 10.62 paced run, easy run test

June total to date – 190.37

Nominal Challenge Goal – 230 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Train toward Rochester Marathon. Run McMullen Mile in under 5:50 on June 9. [Done, 5:44.9] Run Medved 5K to Cure ALS in under 20:00 on June 18. [Done, 19:32]

Today's notes – The plan today called for 14-18 easy miles. I'd need a bit over 20 to hit the lower revised weekly mileage target after missing Thursday's run. The Achilles issue that grabbed my attention on Thursday is still on my mind, so the idea was to go pace 10 miles for Fleet Feet at an 8:30 pace per mile, see how I feel, then decide on whether to add solo miles later.

One of the things about the pacing program that I usually see as a drawback is that we never run the full distance continually. We run to the water stop, pause to hydrate and sample whatever products are on display (Nuun today), finish the distance for the half marathon program, pause to regroup and for any rest room breaks, then go on to run the rest of the marathon program distance. Today, I was fine with breaking things up. Pushing hard was not on my agenda.

There are a couple of things I really like about the pacing program. One is that I find it easier to slow myself down when I'm responsible for other people. The other is that I get to see a variety of people from very new runners to very experienced runners and compare notes and running experiences.

One of the things about the program that I'm neutral on, but which is important for today's story, is that there are two parts. There is the Half & Full Marathon training program, where trainees run a 2 mile time trial and are told which pace group they belong in. And there is pace pass, where runners don't get the full training program, but join for the long runs and self-select their pace group.

As it turns out, this session there are no trainees in the full program assigned to the 8:30 pace group. I have a couple of regular pace pass people with a lot of experience who have done this before and really belong here. I have one new runner who was fine with me last week, but had some issues this week. I don't know if she'll be with me long term or decide that the 9:00 pace group is a better fit. And we were joined by a vaguely familiar face, a guy who said he usually runs with the 9:00 pace group but wanted to push himself today. He isn't a novice, as he has recently completed a trail marathon; but the conversations with him were a bit odd. He indicated he was done with longer races for a while, and was joining us for some speed work?!

The first 400-500m of the route was downhill, so I was struggling to slow down for quite a while, particularly since I was responsible for someone who was stretching for the assigned pace. We ended up dropping him somewhere around mile 3. About 3.5 miles in, the new girl slowed to a walk and said she'd finish with the 9's. At 3.7 miles there was the water stop, so we stopped, paused the watches, drank the Nuun, and waited for the dropped folks to come in so we'd know what they wanted to do.

The girl was having some physical issues and needed to slow down. She would continue with the 9's. The guy said he was happy because he'd had a good time for 5K, and he was fine even if he walked back to the store. I don't know whether he walked or ran with the 9's, but I stopped worrying about him.

And this is what makes meeting new people so interesting. Here was a guy who is not a novice, stretching to run with the 8:30 group, and calling it speed work. But he usually runs with the 9:00 group. Say what? Speed work, just 30 seconds per mile faster than your long runs? Either he doesn't know what speed work is, or he's been doing his long runs too fast.

So it was down to just me and 2 regulars to finish out the first 6 mile segment, then run the next 4. These guys pretty much know what they're doing, so after the 7 mile mark I quit trying to slow them down. I let them tell me when it got too fast. We ended up running a total of 10.01 miles (with 2 pauses) in 1:23:05, for an average pace of 8:18 per mile. Mile 2 was 8:32, mile 4 was 8:31 (but a pause in the middle), and every other mile was faster than target pace. Oops. I'll plead knowing we were almost done for mile 10, which came in at 8:07.

Along about mile 9, my right calf got some odd sensations. "Pain" is too strong a word. "Ache" is closer, but might also be a bit strong. Probably "fatigued" is the closest word to describe it. I decide that 10 miles would be enough for today. Got back, walked around, had some more Nuun and some coffee, chatted with people. The regulars got a bit of a chuckle out of my heart rate chart and time in zones data:

cxxv2jdquems.png

stxqgkq8wthe.png

The 13:00 pace group came in, and a couple people were going fast (for them) for the tail end of their run. So I ran easy along side a couple of them to keep them company. The calf felt fine for that.

Got the idea that maybe I just needed a bit of recovery. Came home, still dressed to run. Regrouped with some water, a banana, and a pit stop. Set out to run 4 to 8 miles, distance to be decided on the run. Got to the first little hill, and that Achilles spoke up. Turned around and came home, putting in an additional 0.61 miles on this test. I could run through this sensation, but it's smarter not to.

Got home, and made sure to do my cone touches for the Achilles. Even if what I'm touching isn't really conical:

z4ex2a2bjdn5.jpg

So now I consider myself to be in prehab. I'm not hurt, but I feel like I'm recovering from having been hurt. I'll play it like that, and if the miles come in shorter than the training plan, that's life. Running fewer miles is a lot better than running no miles. Just have to make some decisions on a day to day basis, depending on how I feel.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 5:44.90, PR for mile
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) finished in 19:32
    July 4, 2017 Firecracker Four Mile (Fairport, NY)
    July 15, 2017 Shoreline Half Marathon [1:40 pacer] (Hamlin, NY)
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY)
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

@BettyM1017 Spring Hill just north of Tampa.

United Airlines screwed up all our flight plans by changing Skips flight 3 hours later. 45 mins and $800 later we will eventually get to Tampa.
  • nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    nFoooo wrote: »
    I gave in. The Forerunner 235 was 270$ CAD instead of the regular 400$ + on amazon so I bought one. On garmin website they are 450$ CAD.

270 CAD is something like 200-205 USD for my American friends.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm thinking of going with the 235 as well. Is it new or refurbished?

New, which is why it's a pretty good deal. It was on amazon canada.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @BettyM1017 I have the FR 235 and love it. It doesn't have an altimeter, which I something that I wished it did have, whereas the VA has one built in. However, on the plus side (for me), the 235 doesn't have a touchscreen; that means increased battery life, and I don't end up with sweaty finger-smudges all over my watch face.

@midwesterner85 Congrats on your first HM race, and a great time for a first!

@cburke8909 Awesome HM race, and you beat your brother; sibling rivalry at its finest!

@katharmonic Sorry to hear your 5k didn't go the way you wanted it to, but still a great result all the same. Well done!