June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Your link to fireball is not working but I assume you mean this one: http://amzn.to/2t4nHOD ?

If so, you should note that the Fireball does NOT come with a bladder. Never used that one myself, but not having the bladder is a big deal in a hydration pack. :smiley:

Yes, that one. saw it wasn't included.

Odd, looked at a couple others. I guess that is normal. The only one I ever bought had a bladder with it, and since that seems logical I just assumed they all did. Huh.

Well Nathan is the brand of my hydration belt that I have used for probably 10 years now. So I would definitely buy more of their stuff. I still struggle with the idea of a backpack while running. I know some people do it, but seems like it would be uncomfortable to the extreme.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have experience with neither, however I am always wary of anything with webbing strapping that is likely to be against my skin. When the bladder is full, there will be enough weight in there for the base of the vest to potentially rub. There is probably a reason a lot of people swear by the Salomon skin vests (I don't have one so can't comment).

For what it's worth - your back will get hot. Depending on the race you may not like the vest.

A vest is better in terms of positioning of stuff. I'm short, it keeps my hips and butt free to move.

There's a temptation to overfill. Depending on your situation a hydration BELT may be better.

Gut feeling - I wouldn't buy either on presumed comfort from the pictures. (Disclaimer - I have had whisky so all purchases are invalid)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I have experience with neither, however I am always wary of anything with webbing strapping that is likely to be against my skin. When the bladder is full, there will be enough weight in there for the base of the vest to potentially rub. There is probably a reason a lot of people swear by the Salomon skin vests (I don't have one so can't comment).

Like this one? http://amzn.to/2t4FaGl

7jqmy1k4ee7y.jpg

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

For what it's worth - your back will get hot. Depending on the race you may not like the vest.

A vest is better in terms of positioning of stuff. I'm short, it keeps my hips and butt free to move.

There's a temptation to overfill. Depending on your situation a hydration BELT may be better.

Gut feeling - I wouldn't buy either on presumed comfort from the pictures. (Disclaimer - I have had whisky so all purchases are invalid)

Thanks for that great input! I have a belt, and actually don't like it for running, I just came to the conclusion that I don't like things riding on my waist/hips when I run....if that makes sense...which is why I am looking at a vest or pack..... I used to do a decent amount of running carrying a pack (with 25 pounds of rocks in it) so I got used to carrying something on my back...
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have this one

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/singletrack-race-vestpack-|-073-|-m-l-887487876881.html

fgentuqzfdnz.png

It's not perfect. I like that I can put soft flasks in the front in addition to a bladder. And there are other pockets for gels, car keys and my camera when I want to take pics. I've attached elastic to the back for a raincoat and there's room for a picnic lunch too (this all tells you there's too much room)

I love the idea of the salomon because it is super stretchy and there shouldn't be flapping extra fabric. My personal issue is having a very small back but I want to try one for size.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    So an observation about my new forerunner 235. It seems to give me far fewer calories than my Fitbit charge HR did. I'm used to large Fitbit adjustments in MFP, but Garmin seems to give me a negative adjustment after adding my "exercise". Overall my calories are much lower now so I'm always in the red - when I complete my diary for the day it tells me I'm going to gain massive calories. Not sure how accurate it is since I'm not gaining weight.

It's not accurate at all. Your best strategy is to ignore how many calories MFP says you need, ignore how many calories Garmin says you burn, and eat what you need to eat to maintain your weight and have good running performance.

The estimates are okay for people who need to lose a lot of weight, as long as they're biased toward a deficit. The closer you get to a desirable weight, the more troublesome the inaccuracies are. For maintenance, the estimates are totally insufficient. Watching trends on the scale, with all the problems of water retention and glycogen bonding and whatever else, is better for weight maintenance that the calories calculated by MFP.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat I think I looked at that one actually. I've also been looking at Ultimate Direction.... they have a 30% off sale right now. Their Hardrocker vest looks good, but doesn't come with bottles, their PB Adventure 2.0 looks good also, and comes with bottles... So many good choices!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,812 Member
    Options
    So, I'm not a big music person, I like good music, but, I just can't zone out to it, it's more of a background noise, but I like to watch documentaries while I run on the treadmill, it helps me zone out and focus on something while I run other than I'm still running, I dont watch much TV, i like to listen to it, but not to just watch it, well it finally clicked "podcasts" yes. Downloaded an app, and yes, thats what ill be listening to during my marathon, hahaha.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @angmarie28 I am with you. I listen to audio books when I run. Currently listening to the Mistborn Series by Brandon Sanderson. His books nice and long. 20, 30, some even 50 hours. :)
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,812 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @PastorVincent I thought about that, but I don't know, I like radio shows, haha. I also like learning and things that make me think, so podcasts are great
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    1---5.06
    3---6.31
    4---6.29
    6---3.69 walk
    7---4.37
    9---3.76
    10---6.34
    11---5.19
    13---3.64
    15---3.56
    16---mtn bike 4.95 miles
    17---2.5 walk
    18---2.04 run +7.8 mile bike
    20---3.14 walk
    21---3.22 walk
    23---3.41 started off as a great run then I "ran" into fella from church. No not the marathoner that runs circles around me that I wanted to trip. Not really. But when you can't run... It feels like you'd turn on your own kind.

They are adding disk golf to our remote trails. I was a bit peeved over it. Apparently I'm not the only one. Then we "walked" into his daughter running and we chatted for 45 minutes. Silly girl is the "unfriendly" one our there that won't even nod me back. She apologized. Another Introvert. But this MRC group has helped me deal with my introverted tendencies. No worries fellow runner- we're here to run. Now I will have to try to not get hit with hard *kitten* frisbees zippin' all about. I'll miss my roadrunner friends *meep meep* that are too flighty to indulge the presence frisbee flingin' hippies and thier boisterous offspring.

I'll write a letter. Call some peeps.

62.43/70

Upcoming races

AIM for the Cure- 5K, virual run
    July 8- XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run, 5K.  Glen Rose,TX
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PR's
    1 mile 10:50  5k 37.46 10k 1:20.25
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @girlinahat Wow! A refrigerated glove box!? Keeps your gloves cool? :sunglasses: super fancy!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Just wondering, what is your opinion on the sophisticated body scales? Are they worth the effort?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @angmarie28 I listen to the actual radio in the car, talk radio. I enjoy it, but it is not as immersive for me (good thing too!) and really my primary goal while running is to forget I am running :) Everyone has their jam I guess! :smiley:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @cburke8909 - I like gadgets that stay close to what is measured. The more software and calculations there are to get to what the gadget reports, the less accurate and useful the report is.

Weigh me, tell me the answer, that's good. Send electricity up one leg and down the other, do a bunch of black box calculations, and tell me a body fat percent . . . that's a garbage number. If I were in weight loss mode and it turns out to be a *consistent* garbage number, the trend might tell me something. But I'm in weight maintenance mode. Looking in the mirror when I'm dehydrated, either I see my abs or I don't. That's about as much as I need to know about how much body fat I have.

My sister has a scale that does BMI (you have to tell it your height), body fat %, and transmits the weight to her computer for tracking. Too much geek work for me, and it has been known to mistake a guest for someone else who has been entered into the system. The most meaningful number it generates is the weight, and I can manually transfer one number from a dumb scale to a spreadsheet once a day.

I also have this silly idea that if I'm going to pay $20 for a scale that just does weight, I'm more likely to get a durable scale that does accurate weight for a long time into the future than if I pay $30 for a scale that has lots of gee-whiz bells and whistles. Give me accuracy and longevity, I can live without the bells and whistles.

If I had unlimited funds and a good place to put it, I'd buy a good balance scale like they have in gyms and doctor's offices. Those suckers are accurate and last forever. Alas, I don't have a good place to put it. If I did, I could probably figure out where the funds would come from.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @cburke8909 I primarily watch three things...

1) Weight. Just the raw number. I am attempting to stay within +/- 3 pounds of my goal weight. I just enter the number off my dumb scale into MFP.

2) Pants size. It should stay stable at this point. Any growth or shrinkage there is a warning.

3) "Net" calories. I am tracking them and watching how the number impacts #1 and #2. It is the only objective measure I have of food in, vs energy out. So no matter how made up the numbers are - they are consistent. So I can make them work out with time. Or so is my theory. :) This will be my third attempt to stay at goal weight, but the first time I am tracking calories. So we will see.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @cburke8909 I have the Garmin scale. I like it. I get on, it does it's fancy measurements, sends it to Garmin connect for tracking. It is very consistent on those "garbage" numbers.

It always tells me my skeletal mass, bone mas, are rather consistent. Water fluctuates but I don't watch that number much. Maybe I should check it out after a long hot run. Body fat, ya I'm sure that's "garbage", but it is consistent and that's all I want. I like gadgets, I love Garmin as a company and had to get the scale.

But really I don't need it. I did need a scale that will give me the same weight if I step on it 3x and not fluctuate like a moody cat. I do have that with this one.

Like @MobyCarp mentioned it guesses at users, but mine you can tap to scroll through. So if I get on in the afternoon and don't want that number recorded, I can just tap to "unknown". Or just delete it later.