June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp you nailed why I'm not sure about the optical HRM.... running in -25 temps. Basically all I really want are compass, barometric altimeter and battery life up close to 20 hours so I'll have extra battery life at the end of an ultra.

Most of these devices you should be able to turn the HR monitor off - my Fitbit charge 2 I can, and I have a tomtom multisport which I connect up to an HR cheststrap and that also I can turn off to save battery life.

From what I understand the cheststrap is more accurate than the optical monitor, and quicker and registering changes. I would look for a device where you have the option of turning off the HR feature, and even overriding the optical for the chest strap. That gives all the flexibility you need.

Battery life is a constant problem for people though. If you aren't using the GPS function or HR that should help.
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    1/6 - 3.6
    2/6 - 4.9
    3/6-5.6
    4/6 -REST
    5/6-3.9
    6/6-4.7
    7/6-3.1
    8/6-4.3
    9/0 -REST
    10/6-3.8
    11/6-6.5
    12/6-REST
    13/6-3.7
    14/6-5.2
    15/6-6.0
    16/6-REST
    17/6-5.1
    18/6-5.1
    19/6-3.4
    20/6-3.4
    21/6-REST
    22/6 - 4.0

Total - 76.3/90 Miles
    Today was meant to be 4.5 miles but at 3.5 miles the biggest thunder storm and hail started so I cut run a bit short
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @MobyCarp you nailed why I'm not sure about the optical HRM.... running in -25 temps. Basically all I really want are compass, barometric altimeter and battery life up close to 20 hours so I'll have extra battery life at the end of an ultra.

Most of these devices you should be able to turn the HR monitor off - my Fitbit charge 2 I can, and I have a tomtom multisport which I connect up to an HR cheststrap and that also I can turn off to save battery life.

From what I understand the cheststrap is more accurate than the optical monitor, and quicker and registering changes. I would look for a device where you have the option of turning off the HR feature, and even overriding the optical for the chest strap. That gives all the flexibility you need.

Battery life is a constant problem for people though. If you aren't using the GPS function or HR that should help.

cheststrap has the same delay issue, it is physiological, not the technology that is the issue. Both are accurate, assuming both are used properly and all is normal with the person (chest straps will not work for me).

But battery life of the watches is severely impacted by the HRM. The chest strap would have a separate battery so that would help in that case.

My Apple Watch made it through my 4:24 marathon with plenty of breathing room, but I doubt it could make it much past 6 hours with HRM and GPS both running.

So.. compared...

Benefits of wrist: No extra devices, and no chest strap
    Benefits of Chest: Extra battery, and stays under clothes in cold weather

So... it comes down to use case. I think given the "20-hour" run and the "-25 temps" the chest strap is the clear winner. IMO YMMV and all that :)
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    With the talk of HRMs, I have the Garmin 235, and personally I like to use the HRM for all-day tracking so that I can see what my resting HR is. But when it comes to running, I use the Scosche Rhythm armband, which is worn much higher up on the arm (I wear mine on the upper forearm). That also means I can wear my watch over the layers of clothing in the winter, and a little looser during my summer runs. I haven't tried a chest strap yet, but I have a very strong feeling that it would bug the heck out of me while offering another chafing point to keep in mind (of course, as I haven't tried it, I may be missing out on the greatest thing ever). But for what I need, so far I've found the Scosche to be very good.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Riddle me this...

I ran for 1 hour 3 minutes and 39 seconds. In that time I covered 6.55 miles. I somehow turned off auto pause in RunKeeper by mistake. So RunKeeper reports a 9:43 pace. The math works.

Strava reports 56:47 "moving time" and yields a pace of 8:41.

Which is more correct? In other words, which should I be using t judge my progress by? I do not really think I lost 7 minutes to traffic lights and what not, but maybe I did. Seems too high at a guess.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - Recently I am finding the Strava "Moving Time" to be utter garbage. Later I will try and post some examples, but I have many cases recently where I was moving the entire time (some even running the entire time) and Strava shows my "moving time" significantly lower than my total time. So, I would say their "moving time" estimate is no more reliable than their "calorie burn" estimate.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent - Recently I am finding the Strava "Moving Time" to be utter garbage. Later I will try and post some examples, but I have many cases recently where I was moving the entire time (some even running the entire time) and Strava shows my "moving time" significantly lower than my total time. So, I would say their "moving time" estimate is no more reliable than their "calorie burn" estimate.

Erf. Why do people like this program so much then?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Erf. Why do people like this program so much then?
    I never noticed it before and have used Strava for over 3 years, so I think something happened that broke this feature. Truth be told, it is losing it's shine bit by bit over time with me. I find their new "Fitness and Freshness" scores too confusing to actually leverage on planning workouts, instead you just look at it to see if it went up or down and then high five your running buddy when it goes up.

*shrug*
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Riddle me this...

I ran for 1 hour 3 minutes and 39 seconds. In that time I covered 6.55 miles. I somehow turned off auto pause in RunKeeper by mistake. So RunKeeper reports a 9:43 pace. The math works.

Strava reports 56:47 "moving time" and yields a pace of 8:41.

Which is more correct? In other words, which should I be using t judge my progress by? I do not really think I lost 7 minutes to traffic lights and what not, but maybe I did. Seems too high at a guess.

Strava seems to automatically strip out stopped time, but I don't totally trust it to be accurate. It must rely on the underlying data from whatever GPS method measured the run. When I used my old 620 out cycling, I'd turn on autopause and watch it at stoplights. At a very long stoplight, I could see the timing pause and restart and pause and restart, apparently from GPS wobble being perceived as moving. Then some slower runners told me they could have autopause kick in while they were still moving. So I quit using autopause, because that sort of behavior bothered me.

I tried manually pausing for stoplights for a while, and quit doing that because sometimes I forgot to restart the watch. Now I just live with the recorded time from Garmin (like your 9:43 pace) and don't worry about the moving time pace Strava computes. I do manually pause for stops that I know will take a while. This is mostly water breaks and breaks between segments for pace groups, where a group will always take more time than a solo runner.

With numbers like yours, I'd be looking at the pace charts over time from Garmin and Strava and trying to figure out where/when all that stopped time was. It does seem like a lot of stopped time to not be obvious in your memory.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    my tomtom and my strava times seem to compare. Strava strips some non-moving time and also corrects distance. Both are very different from my fitbit, which gives me both a longer distance and a longer time for the same run.

I use the fitbit to record daily HR and steps, the tomtom and cheststrap for actual activities, and strava to get kudos from people!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @MobyCarp @WhatMeRunning @girlinahat - I just turned autopause back on in RunKeeper. Have to see if the times get closer next time I run. I would love to thikI was running 8:43 now, but that seems too fast for how the run felt.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 6 miles
    6/2 - 4 miles
    6/3 - rest day
    6/4 - 7 miles
    6/5 - 3 miles
    6/6 - rest day
    6/7 - 4 miles (the Big Run 5K and warm up)
    6/8 - unscheduled rest day
    6/9 - 4 miles
    6/10 - 3 miles
    6/11 - 7 miles
    6/12 - 3 miles of recovery
    6/13 - rest day
    6/14 - 7 miles
    6/15 - 3 miles of recovery
    6/16 - 5K and 1 mile of warmup
    6/17 - rest day
    6/18 - 6 miles
    6/19 - rest day
    6/20 - unscheduled rest day
    6/21 - 8 miles
    6/22 – was pouring this morning, will get out later tonight

69 of 70 miles

I don’t mind running in the rain, but I hate starting out when it’s pouring buckets. I’ll try after work. Thanks Tropical Storm Cindy, now go away.

@ereck44 I thought you meant someone hit your mailbox on purpose, that seems to be a big thing around me. Of course I’m on a cul de sac so only someone stupid would do that and have to turn around and go back up the street. My neighbor’s grandson got caught out drunk destroying mailboxes, doesn’t pay to be the slowest runner ha ha, he was 17. He was a wee bit upset to find out it was a federal offense…dumb jerk.

@autumnblade75 I completely understand about the shirt, I’d be upset about that too. The first time I got in a car with a push button was like WTH. Honestly I don’t love the technology, but my car has it. The other day I had the fob in my pocket and Skip was in the car and I went to go back in the house, the car gets pissed off when you do that and shuts off. Though I do like walking up to my car and touching the sensor and having the doors unlock.
    I could never wear a watch with the HRM on my wrist I wear my watch way too loose. I don’t like anything tight on my wrists, watches, jackets, bracelets. Maybe I was a prisoner hung by my wrists in a previous life.