womens clothing size. Is this true?

Options

Replies

• lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Very true. I so agree with almost all the posters' comments.
    I wear a consistent size 12 in clothing sewing patterns (those have not changed since the 1960s, but in ready-to-wear I am anywhere from a 4 to a 10 and it drives me crazy. This is partly why my current wardrobe is so small -- I HATE going shopping because I have to try on EVERYTHING before I buy. So tiring.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    A size 7 and a size 4 are roughly the same size...Odd Numbers are "Junior" sizes, Even Numbers are "Misses/Woman's" sizes. The cut it fuller in the bust and hips for "Misses/Women's"

I understand these words individually but put them together and I'm lost...

So true... Odd numbers are juniors and even numbers are misses.

However, I do not see much of a variance (or difference) between the two, although I prefer the woman's cut a bit more. I wear a size 0 woman's and size 1 juniors. I find the woman's, size 0, waist a tiny bit higher/slimmer and the length a bit longer than the junior size 1. Yet there is more clothing made and available in the small sizes for juniors. Go figure... I guess the clothing industry cater's to the average woman and shows equal discrimination for those who are under/over size!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

take a peek at this. :grumble:
    Thanks for the link. It definitely validates what I've known for years. You can't trust the number; you have to try it on. :grumble:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    When I can afford it, I try to buy jeans that come with a measured waist and length size, so sizes comparable to waist size. True Religion and many other brands size jeans this way, but even then, the sizes vary by brand and even by style.

shopping sucks.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    When I can afford it, I try to buy jeans that come with a measured waist and length size, so sizes comparable to waist size. True Religion and many other brands size jeans this way, but even then, the sizes vary by brand and even by style.

shopping sucks.

Size charts are wrong too. I usually measure a size bigger than I actually wear (an no my clothes aren't too tight either). It's frustrating.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is true. There is no standard sizing in women's clothing.

Why the heck not?

Men's pants are sold by waist circumference and inseam length. Problem solved.

I think its a mix of consumer demand...vanity sizing along with fashion industry sizing. I posted this once that men had it easier when it came to sizing it was logical it was inches or wte they use in the rest of the world. I was surprised at the amount of men who got butthurt over this supposition. Glad the men are rational on this thread.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options

Why the heck not?

I think its a mix of consumer demand...vanity sizing along with fashion industry sizing. I posted this once that men had it easier when it came to sizing it was logical it was inches or wte the use in the rest of the world. I was surprised at the amount of men who got butthurt over this supposition. Glad the men are rational on this thread.

Men's sizing is vanity sized too. We took a measuring tape to my husband's pants, and the waist was a full 2" bigger than the size indicated.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Why the heck not?

I think its a mix of consumer demand...vanity sizing along with fashion industry sizing. I posted this once that men had it easier when it came to sizing it was logical it was inches or wte the use in the rest of the world. I was surprised at the amount of men who got butthurt over this supposition. Glad the men are rational on this thread.

Men's sizing is vanity sized too. We took a measuring tape to my husband's pants, and the waist was a full 2" bigger than the size indicated.

IDK about your husband's pants but when I put a 36 on my boyfriend doesn't matter where we are shopping or which brand they will fit.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    And even within brands and in the same style of pants, the size can differ.... I found a pair of pants at Nordstrom Rack that I love. Nordstrom had the allegedly same style of pants on sale for half price, so I figured I'd buy a couple pairs, but I found the comments online kind of odd ("fits baggy, buy a size down") because I love them since they fit pretty snugly all the way down.

Sure enough, they show up, and they are bigger in the waist, and significantly larger in the calf, than the ones I bought at the Rack.
    WHY?!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Thanks for the link. It definitely validates what I've known for years. You can't trust the number; you have to try it on. :grumble:

oh, youre welcome! Women need to get over their obsession with sizing, because its all VANITY anyway :heart:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Old Navy has the best sizing-- I'm a 2 there.

Most other places I'm a 4 or 6, but I always have to try them on. Worse, I have try on each pair because I have bought two pairs that are the same brand, same size, and had them fit differently.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Absolutely true. I vary between a size 4-10. 27" waist. Crazy.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options

This link disagrees. I think it makes sense. Manufacturers target their customer profile.

The myth of vanity sizing - http://www.fashion-incubator.com/archive/the_myth_of_vanity_sizing/

idk, I just know it makes shopping a pain regardless. :angry:
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Vanity sizing drives me INSANE.

I'm an Australian 8-10 (US 4-6?) in most things. But when the labels are 'small', 'medium', 'large', and so on it seems to get especially annoying. My swimmers are an 'XL', but the top I bought the other day is 'XS'.

WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO!? :mad: I'm still the same size no matter what the label says! DX
  • aharper84
    aharper84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think that this is the most frustrating thing about buying clothes. I can't just go into a store and know what size I am. Sometimes, you can find a pair of pants in a store that fit you perfectly and then get another pair of pants for that same store in that same size that don't fit at all. For example, I got a pair of size 2 shorts from the Gap that fit fine, but I tried on a pair of size 2 capris from the Gap that wouldn't button.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

This link disagrees. I think it makes sense. Manufacturers target their customer profile.

The myth of vanity sizing - http://www.fashion-incubator.com/archive/the_myth_of_vanity_sizing/

idk, I just know it makes shopping a pain regardless. :angry:

Oh lord I would hope this article isn't true...just verifies all my prejudices about the clothing manufacturers. Sigh...:grumble:

So I'm fat and could afford a dress by Armani, right now, why would I not fit into their demographics. Why don't I even fit into Nordstroms demographic? My money is equal to what the consider their ideal customer why wouldn't they want it? Is my money only good enough for Lane Bryant and Wal-Mart?

Hmmmm not fair...c'est la vie life's not fair
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Found this and had to inquire on its validity. If it is true... why do I constantly see women seeking a certain clothing size? Shouldn't you be seeking a store that sells smaller size? (May I suggest GAP based on the pic?)

Well, yes, the image is somewhat true. The image is showing misses and juniors sizes (even and odd, respectively) so say the Gap 4 might be the same size waist as the PacSun 7, but the Gap 4 will be cut fuller in other areas. Or at least that's how I believe it to be. The other pair of pants (that I believe were a 9) are then only one size difference.

That said, I am a woman that in the past 10 years has been everything from a 16 to a 32. And sizes between brands can very greatly. I can currently wear anything from a 16-20. And am very close to a 14 in some of the more generous brands (not even taking into account that some brands have 14w, 16w, 18w, etc., in addition to regular sizes).

One of the morning shows in the US (Today, Good Morning America, CBS This Morning) did something within the last few years where they went out to mall stores (and maybe catalog brands) and bought the same general style of women's black slacks from a half dozen different places to showcase the blatant vanity sizing. The only sure bet is to bring a measuring tape with you or try everything on.

And Gap/Old Navy is the absolute worst for sizing. I've always been able to get their sizes on even when other brands just don't fit. I did just stop in there yesterday though and noticed that they have the waist sizing clearly labeled on some things I never noticed it before so maybe things will get better?
  • ctaylor311
    ctaylor311 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Much easier to buy guys' dress pants and hem as needed. No battling size 10/12/14/?!, but 32/30 I can figure out.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It's ridiculous. Then you throw in stores like Forever 21 that have pant sizes like 26, 27, 31 etc.
    I have pants ranging from sizes 0-5(juniors) that fit....

26, 27, and 31 are waist measurements....which never works for me because I need to buy the size that will fit my bootie.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Found this and had to inquire on its validity. If it is true... why do I constantly see women seeking a certain clothing size? Shouldn't you be seeking a store that sells smaller size? (May I suggest GAP based on the pic?)

Because they don't realize the difference.

I fit in size 2 at GAP. That's just a damn lie they're telling me. My hips are waaaaay too wide to do that in any other brand.