womens clothing size. Is this true?

Options

Replies

• AEMW8
    AEMW8 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    JCP sells size 19 in Arizona and another brand. Arizona I can wear for a little before they start falling off. The other brand I can't fit at all. I bought some size 20 shorts from Torrid the other day and already they feel a little loose after wearing them for a bit. It's all on the cut and brand.
  • 80sFanatic88
    80sFanatic88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Once, I went into Target and tried on 3 different brands of jeans that said they were the same size. One was too small, one was too big, and one fit okay. I hate Target, don't shop there anymore. But yeah, depending on the brand, style, and material, I can wear between 10 and 18, actually. :ohwell:
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Hence why I only buy pants that are actually measured like mens. They cost more but no confusion whatsoever.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Take a cloth tape measurer (get one at the fabric or craft store), and use it to measure the pants ... just measure where the pants would hit you (the rise), half it, and then measure straight across the pants ... do the same for the inseam ... I do this sometimes, but I'm pretty good at judging what will and will not fit ...

The funniest thing was, one time I was shopping with my ex (at Khol's) and I found this skirt ... I took it off the rack and held it up, it looked like it would fit ... I was wearing leggings so I just tried it on right there, it fit ... I then looked at the tag to see how much it was and noticed it was an XL ... now I have (and had at the time) a 23 in waist and 33 in hips ... My ex started laughing and called me "fattie" for the rest of the day ... I found this very offensive to not onlty myself, but to people who were actually overweight ... so after asking him to stop (repeatedly to no avail) I ended up kicking him in the balls in the parking lot of Whole Foods ... No, that's not why we broke up ... lol ... that happened about 8 months later
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Seriously? No wonder you all take so long shopping...

You know there have been multiple times I never even tried on my clothes? Just went into the store (grocery store even), grabbed some jeans/khakis/shirts and checked out. Got home. Fit perfect...

We are 'effin aware.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,993 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I wish we could buy by waist/inseam like men....
    According to my ex, 'vanity sizing' is so the ladies don't have to admit what their proportions are for fitment. True? :huh:
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    It also depends on the cut of the pants, but yes, sizing varies by stores. The best bet is to always try on everything. I don't really care about what size it says on the tag, just how I look in them.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Yes, my husband CANNOT comprehend that I don't have a "size" he's a 36"x32" (baggy fit) and can always walk in, grab pants, walk out, live life happily. I have to take 6's, 8's and 10's into the fitting room in several different cuts and maybe get lucky when one pair fit! Junior sizes = FORGETABOUTIT! It's super frustrating. It's really kind of obnoxious that there's no regulations on a measurement range that a size should fit into.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I wish we could buy by waist/inseam like men....
    According to my ex, 'vanity sizing' is so the ladies don't have to admit what their proportions are for fitment. True? :huh:

Go back a page. One of the posters put up on article on the myth of vanity sizing. Personally, my thought it is the continuation of a sexist ideology that somehow women can't accept their sizes when it's probably manufacturers not wanting to produce many sizes.
  • JRSchumaker
    JRSchumaker Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see anyone mention American Eagle for outrageous vanity sizing. Size 0. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

After losing a crap ton of weight in my belly it is hard enough for me to judge what size to try on. I'm ok with taking two, which is kind of standard anyway (because you never know). Three didn't work...a fourth size down? I'm smaller, but I'm no zero. Where on earth do legitimately tiny women purchase pants?
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Women have curves (i.e. hips) and men are generally straight from the waist down ... that also makes things easier for them ...
  • MzFyreKitty
    Options
    Definitely true. Even within a store, certain brands will be much larger. I know my sister (when I was losing over 100 lbs) sent me some size 16s she couldn't wear and I tried them on (I was wearing 14-16) and they totally swallowed me up. They fit like maybe a size 22 (seriously).

Also, you will see people on weight loss youtube videos saying they wear a size 10 or 12 and they have to be weighing 240 lbs, ya right. They won't tell you their weight but they tell you a size. Well, size can be totally misleading.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    And this is why I find the one STORE that I like to shop at that has pants that fit me and I only buy from them. Screw trying to find pants at every other store in the mall. I like knowing that I can walk into the store, find my size in jeans in various cuts and KNOW that they're going to fit.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I have pairs of shorts from Express that are size 4, jeans from the same store that are a 6... Then sizes varying up to 11 depending on the brand. So much fun.. :ohwell:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Women have curves (i.e. hips) and men are generally straight from the waist down ... that also makes things easier for them ...

This. I've made patterns and clothing for a living, and women's clothing in general, is harder to fit properly. Men tend to be more straight up and down. It's a good thing that different brands of clothing fit differently, because women need a lot of sizes to choose from, and there will always be clothing lines that just aren't cut for some women. It would be better if there were more customization of sizing, like Levi Strauss used to do, where you could order jeans cut for your measurements.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Clothing sizes are just another way for companies to get us! Yes it's true, because different stores/brands have different sizing... Some stores have even shifted sizes to include a double zero size, effectively moving all sizes down on the scale so we feel better about ourselves.

I love online shopping, but always have to look closely at the measurements in inches... because sizing is so deceiving!
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Wow so its better if you are losing weight to know your waist measurements opposed to pant size...
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see anyone mention American Eagle for outrageous vanity sizing. Size 0. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

After losing a crap ton of weight in my belly it is hard enough for me to judge what size to try on. I'm ok with taking two, which is kind of standard anyway (because you never know). Three didn't work...a fourth size down? I'm smaller, but I'm no zero. Where on earth do legitimately tiny women purchase pants?

You have NO idea how hard it is. Mostly you just have to invest in a lot of belts.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,993 Member
    Options

This. I've made patterns and clothing for a living, and women's clothing in general, is harder to fit properly. Men tend to be more straight up and down. It's a good thing that different brands of clothing fit differently, because women need a lot of sizes to choose from, and there will always be clothing lines that just aren't cut for some women. It would be better if there were more customization of sizing, like Levi Strauss used to do, where you could order jeans cut for your measurements.
    In recent years, some of the companies started producing different styles for me... long overdue, in my opinion... Guys who bodybuild used to have to buy oversized clothing and then have it tailored to fit. I suspect, however, this change had less to do with fitting up the buff and more to do with dealing with growing number of obese males...
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Clothing sizes have consistently gone downwards over the years to make women feel better. Shoe sizes also went down half a size, I believe. I had a vintage skirt that said size 12 and was tight on me, and at the time my size 00 clothes were falling off me. So....