Options
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Machka – Beautiful view! If I could not be ‘on the ocean’ [which is only when we are on vacation] … I’d want to wake up to something like this. So serene. How far away is that body of water from you? We never thought for one minute that we would retire to anywhere other than on a FL beach. But, here we are … out in the country on nearly 100 acres, but it is quiet and peaceful and the lots are a minimum of 35 acres and won’t be sub-divided.

After seeing my DDnL's DSnL's post of the drive down her daughter's mile-and-a-half driveway ... makes me wish that we had built out house further back on the property; but, the cost to do that would have not been something we could do. Having to have electricity run that far back would have been costly. We’re 7 miles from the nearest ‘convenience store’ and I go into Albany (GA) to see MDs, shop, and get groceries. Otherwise, I’m pretty quiet out here. When the mood strikes me I still paint and draw (for pleasure).

Katla – I meant to say ‘sludge’ … my friend said the MD described it as the consistency of wet beach sand. So it wasn’t showing up on any Scans, she was just having all the symptoms of a gallbladder attack. Said she felt 100% better once they took it out.

Michele – When we moved out here, and, in South Georgia, the soil is ‘red clay’; we took plugs of sod (Centipede) and checker-boarded it wherever we wanted grass; got some white sand and spread it between the plugs and within 2 years had a yard full of grass. When we lived in FL, we had the ‘wide-blade’ Bermuda grass, what is good about it is that it will grow in the shade; centipede won’t. When we lived in Albany we had Centipede (most people do); but, out next door neighbor had something I think they called Zoysia (not sure of the spelling), which is a low growing, thick grass and I ‘think’ it is what most ‘golf courses’ use for their ‘greens’. Where our yards met, his Zoysia and our Centipede ‘fought’ one another for territory. Zoysia grass has several types, but, all of it is thick growing. I’m sure like all grasses, it has its pros and cons. I don’t remember him spending every Saturday in the Spring and Summer on a mower. I think Louis would rather ride on the mower than do just about anything else. Especially if he thinks it ‘might’ rain and it is overcast and cooler. He’ll put his earphones on and cover his nose and mouth with a mask and eyes with safety glasses and he is in his own little world.

We watched “Sully” this weekend! Great movie. Louis and I both agree that we find it difficult to believe they can even get off the ground, much less stay up. God had his hand on that plane for sure. It is amazing that nobody died. I can remember flying back from training in San Antoine, TX and hitting turbulence … and we dropped so fast our drinks came up off our trays, straight up. I don’t remember being on a plane but once or twice since, and, that was to fly to Miami to see my sister. I like flying in a small plane that isn't way up in the 'white' out area; I like to watch the road and seeing the pools in neighborhoods and the different farmlands. I call this 'puddle jumpers'. Was on one when I went out to OKC, OK to visit a friend who lived in Norman, OK. Her Dad was a professor there.

What type of dumplings did she make for her chicken and dumplings? Thick ones with white gravy or was it like eating chicken noodle soup, with a lot of noodles? Nannie-L would either cook friend chicken or chicken and dumplings whenever she worked on Saturday, whatever I wanted when I was a kid. My Mother could ‘cook’ but standing in front of a stove after we were involved in a bad wreck was difficult for her, so Daddy hired a woman to come cook, clean, and wash clothes (and care for me, when needed). Her aunt had worked for us before. She retired shortly after Louis and I married. Then they hired Regina – who was able to pick Mother up if she fell. The only other person who could lift her up was my BF’s Daddy (who worked for the EMTs after he sold his dry cleaning business). That was the ‘nice’ thing about having BF as a roommate, we swapped clothes and she always brought them back ‘clean’. I’m sure that he ‘knew’ that he was cleaning/washing clothes for all 4 of us in the apartment.

I love my “Early Attic/Late Basement” décor. It makes me a little uncomfortable to go to a friend’s house when it looks like it has been decorated from Southern Living. Mine is definitely ‘kick up your feet and settle down’.
    I think I might be too embarrassed to be a ‘lector’ … I’ve seen several stumble over names in the Bible; but, how can one really tell if they are pronouncing it incorrectly anyway (especially if they don’t slow down).

When Louis and I were first married, the priests did it all. No participation from the congregants. His Dad stopped going when they stopped doing Mass in Latin. Louis was an Alter boy for a long time and said, they’d ‘test’ the wine while preparing for mass. Our priest in Albany used something ‘other’ than Burgundy wine. Wasn’t nearly as bitter; but, I think it was meant to be, actually. We started going to mass when we moved to Macon. Our priest started his priesthood there and he retired there. Everybody ‘loved’ Father John. Of course, the kids at Mt de Sales (the Parochial school) loved him, too. He was also very involved with the school. In Albany, the nuns ran the school. Sister Pauline and I had a ‘huge’ argument when we took Trey out after the first 6 weeks of school because his “A’s” had become “F’s” in a matter of 3 weeks, and nobody bothered to call to ‘ask if something was going on’. I went up there and told her I had forgotten that he had a dentist appointment and then I took him to the public school. I asked the Principal how long would it take to have him start and he told me I could ‘leave him’; but, I took him home to change out of his school uniform and then went back to St. Teresa’s and told the secretary to send his records there. Later that afternoon (without even knowing we had taken his brother out), Sister Pauline called on the speaker for Will to come to the office. He thought he was ‘in trouble’ … he usually ‘stayed’ on someone’s list. He got there, almost in tears, and went into her office and she asked him ‘why we had taken Trey out of school’. He looked up at her and said, ‘that is something between my Mama, Daddy, and Trey, you’ll just have to call Mama’. I was ‘very’ proud of him. But, the next AM I interrupted her ‘announcements’ and told her that she was NEVER to call him out of class until she had called me first and allowed me to get there’. I was HOTTTTTTT!!!!!!!! He was in the 5th grade; and, we chose not to take him out since it was his last year in elementary school and his grades were great. His 4th grade teacher met with the 6 sets of parents whose children took some form of ‘hyperactivity’ medication (3 girls, 3 boys) and asked if we were ‘willing’ to NOT give them their morning meds, so she could see what they were capable of doing. We chose to not give him his medication. She got him to calm down and slow down and rewarded him when he did not always think he had to be the first one to finish his work. His handwriting improved immensely and his reading skills did too. She'd give him work a grade higher, or let him play with Lego's or Play Dough. She was amazed when he built a double-wing plane and had all the bars and lights and props on it. In 7th grade he went to the Duke University Gifted program and spent a week in Washington, DC. That was an experience that I really think he enjoyed a lot. He still talks about it. He tried to get the soldier at the Tomb of the Unknowns to ‘smile’. Said that nothing he did made he even ‘crack’ a grin. He brought me a book of Washington and a coffee cup. Mallory could have gone on a trip she was entitled to go; but, they would not let Tami be a chaperone. Will told her that in 5th grade, she would not appreciate it; so when she is in 7th or 8th grade he will take them up there for a week. He wasn’t going to allow her to go with 25 children with only 2 teacher chaperoning them, especially with all the things going on - not that they could prevent anything from happening, they just did not think they had enough chaperones.

Heather – We went out to supper this evening and saw where there has been another attack on London. God Bless these people who have been involved as innocent victims.

Becca – When Tux does his job (outside) he sometimes leaves presents for us. I know he is doing his job; I don’t need the evidence. One day he brought up a dead mouse; I don’t know how he got the grass up here; but, it looked like the mouse way laying on a bed of grass, for presentation. He did score a “10” for presentation. I get him up on the deck railing and tell him, ‘you don’t have to do that to impress us’; but, he doesn’t listen to me.
    For more than a week, he has been laying on the mat by our back door in the evening. I think it is maybe to ‘cool off’. He doesn’t seem to be sick, nose not running, eyes not matting up. I think he is sulking because he knows that Cracker is an inside dog and he is an outside cat. He will stick his head in the door when we let her in; she has to nudge him ‘out of the way’.

Mary – You are wise to get it checked out. I’ve had a bit of ‘brain fog’ this past couple of months. It is pretty unsettling to me. I’ve had some bad ‘migraine-like’ headaches; but, a CT scan has ruled out any tumors; but, at age 66 I wasn’t prepared to hear I have ‘mild age-related dementia’. I asked my GP if having the EST would have shown up on the Scan and he said, not on it … not with one done without contrast. My boys swear that their Dad shows signs of Alzheimer’s; but, I don’t see it (and now don’t think of it in myself). But, a couple of years ago, I went with him for his physical and his MD made me ‘feel a whole lot better’ about it. He did say he had a little ‘age-related dementia’ but he is 75! I sometimes don’t think that MDs are really aware of how their ‘flippant’ remarks hit our ears. But, like my GP told me, if I had Alzheimer’s I would have forgotten ‘why’ I was even there to see him, much less be able to ask questions about my CT Scan.

KJ – I would have ‘never’ guessed that. But, now that you’ve said it, it does make sense. Kinder/Kindergarten … (garden for the children).

My grandmother (Mimi) had a bed of “Lily of the Valley” under her crabapple tree. She grew raspberries, too and make raspberry jam. Good; but, the ‘seeds’ were a bit difficult to digest. I made grape jelly out of our Muscatine and Scuppernongs; but, the deer have beat us to them for the past 2 years. Waiting for the figs to get ripe. I’ve tried to make ‘candied’ figs like my DMnL always did. I’ve been successful at make fig preserves. I think I have only been successful once (and that was with her help). I’m thinking that I will put the clean figs in the fridge with sugar on them overnight to see if that makes a difference than cooking them right after picking them. Hers always had the stems on them in heavy syrup; but, you could pick them up and eat them (with a fork, or with your fingers if you did not mind the syrup). I made pear conserve 2 years ago, so now waiting for the pears to get ripe and hope I can beat the deer to them, too, this year. Looks like we are going to have a good many of them this year. But, it takes 5 gallon bucket of them to make it worthwhile. They are not the easiest things to peel and cut up and still not get the core in them.

I’ll always remember our neighbor’s daffodil garden when we moved when I turned 4 to the house I grew up in.
    I’ve drank as much as 12-16 8-ounce glasses of ‘water’; and, been told to increase it. I don’t think I can drink any more than that.
    I think I am getting a good leg workout watching the Ninja Warriors. I grip my legs trying to make them ‘jump’ to the next set of things to do.

Michele – Mimi always had ‘deserts’; but, Mother rarely had them in the house; so I am not a real big ‘sweet eater’; but, I do look forward to my evening chocolate/caramel/pecan protein bar at night. I cannot eat them at any other time of the day because they make me nauseous if I do. I’ll never quite understand that. Just enough chocolate & sweet to satisfy my inner sweet tooth.

DJ – Definitely will keep your BF in my prayers and thoughts. It is stressful to have to deal with someone who doesn’t take the medications Rx’d for them to ‘make life better’. Even worse when they have an addiction to something, cigarettes, alcohol, or drugs and don’t spend $$ to get food but always find enough money for the other.

I know that I had never thought the world would get so evil and mean. I guess I grew up sheltered in a ‘small town’ where my Daddy was an attorney. Nobody would ‘ever’ mess with “Mr. Buford’s girls”.

Becca – Your tuna/penne dish looks good. I’d probably substitute green olives for the ‘sweet relish’ … I haven’t ever cared for ‘sweet pickles’.

Love you, my friends!

Lenora
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    Machka – Beautiful view! If I could not be ‘on the ocean’ [which is only when we are on vacation] … I’d want to wake up to something like this. So serene. How far away is that body of water from you?

That body of water is the Tasman Sea/Southern Ocean/Storm Bay/Derwent River. I'm not exactly sure where it transitions from one to the next. It is salt water and we get some decent waves on the beach and against the cliffs. Late in the evenings, when everything gets quiet, I can hear the waves ... some days more than others, depending on if there has been a storm further out in the Tasman Sea.

It is about 700 metres away as the crow flies ... or if we walk to the beach, that's about 900 metres away. We walk to the beach and along the beach several evenings each week. :)

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Barbie and Toni, thanks for the insights on how the spellers study the patterns instead of memorizing. That actually makes perfect sense. I was the same way with learning math. If you could figure out the patterns and how the formulas were derived, there was no need to memorize them.

That's all I have in me tonight. It's almost midnight here.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Imy long post went poof! I was responding to quite a few f you. Well, I love you and see you tomorrow. Wait. It is today now.

Joyce, Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Okay made it to pg 9. I am getting there.
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    49uchknsqgtg.jpg

Heather - This photo took me straight back to when I obtained one of my most cherished souvenirs. About 25 years ago, I went with my research group to a conference on the Algarve coast. The headlands above the beach were full of low bushes with aromatic leaves. I picked a couple, took them home and put them on my nightstand. They kept their scent for years!

The kids look as though they're enjoying the balmy temperatures. Are the tops they're wearing ordinary cloth or sun-proof? When our grandchildren are out in the sun for extended periods, their parents make sure they are wearing UV-proof clothing that is quite similar to the tops Max and Edie are wearing.

Kelly - I too had an immediate urge to go out and buy some googly eyes. :lol:

I forget who asked, but no, we don't eat our hares. Both my husband and I are too soft-hearted to do any hunting. If I had to kill my own food I don't think I'd even eat fish. t107086.gif The only member of the animal kingdom I know I can "murder" is clams. My husband can boil live lobsters, but I can't watch while he does it.

I'm a bit concerned about the discussion of water intake. It seems to me some of you are trying to drink more than may be good for you. My son's next-door neighbor is a professor of physiology, who happens to have worked at the same department as I did. He studied water balance all his career. He and others in his field have become alarmed by how much water some people try to drink nowadays.

His rule of thumb is that unless your pee is dark yellow and you only go a few times a day, you're getting enough water. Unless you're sweating profusely, 2 liters per day (about 2 quarts) should be ample. Drinking more than that can put an extra burden on heart and kidneys. We actually have a recent example on this thread! Machka's hyponatremia was caused by excess water in her body (although she didn't get it by drinking it).

I didn't do any dedicated exercise yesterday. Instead, my husband and I dug up the garden to put in a potato patch. I've had a tarp down for a couple years to kill off the grass, so it was fairly easy digging. (I say, though it was my husband who did the digging. :laugh:) I hacked through the clods to remove the long runner roots of the fireweed (a.k.a. great willow herb). It's a pretty flower (and apparently useful for making potions in World of Warcraft :wink: ) but it does take over before you can bat your eyes.

We had inadvertently purchased enough seed potatoes for 20 square meters, which also happened to be the approximate size of the tarp, so that's what we dug up. My husband got through the entire plot, but I only managed to clear the runners out of about a quarter of it before I had to stop. My back wasn't up to it. We'll do some more today and I'll try to post a picture later on.

Heather, maybe I should listen to what you said about hiring somebody else to do the hard work!

/Penny, in pain in the potato patch near the North Pole
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning! Woke up too too early and couldn't fall back to sleep so it's time to get moving. I believe 64oz of water is within guidelines and is helping to prevent my UTIs. Also, kinda helps me stay feeling full. For me, it would be a challenge to drink anything more than that :s

My Maintenance is on autopilot but I am aware that bumps in the road are part of the deal. I admire you folks who've been at maintenance and logging and exercising so consistently, inspiring to me. To think that I could stay at this weight for longer than a year is great, but this is so new, just keeping the weight steady a month at a time is my focus.

Have a great start to the week. <3
    NYKAREN
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It’s early early Monday Morning! :(

I am up way before I need to be (4:00 am) so I decided to spend some time catching up with you. DH and I are having bedroom blues! o:) He is cold and I am hot. >:) He dislocated his shoulder Friday and probably stressed the other one out so that he is in pain and having trouble getting comfortable in the bed except scooting up under me. Then I am sweating! Life before hot flashes will those nights ever come back?

Becca: Delicious food pictures! Your salad looked so good it has necessitated at trip to the grocery later today for the fixings! :)

Had a fantastic cooking weekend. I made Southwest Chicken with White Beans Soup just to make sure there was something healthy in the fridge when we got hungry. That eliminated a fast food trip after church this afternoon. I cooked roasted chicken legs for dinner which was better than fried chicken and it was my first time roasting them. I did make DH a pecan sour cream pound cake which turned out lovely. I gave some of it away; DH doesn’t eat more than a couple of slices; I’ll eat one slice; then the rest ends up in the freezer or trash. The main purpose of the cake baking is that when we are in the grocery store we won’t bother picking up cookies, candy, etc…because we have cake at home already. Guess that sounds just a little crazy but it works for us. o:)

Today we attended DH’s great grandson’s dedication at his parent’s church. It was a very special service and we greatly enjoyed it. I managed to wear some 4” heels! ;) I was a little shaky at first but kept them on in church and back to the car where my trusty flip flops awaited. Trying to get back into wearing my heels.

Lenora: My mom used to make fig jam. It was delicious. We don’t have any fig trees near us but every once in a while I will pick up a jar in the store to enjoy. Thanks for bringing back that memory for me.

This week I’ve got to start walking on a regular basis again. I know my fur baby Blue would appreciate it. My spirit, mind and body will appreciate it too.

Have a great day Pals!

Tere in RVA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    morning morning, and a quick hello.. working at 8 am for the other assistant..so just stopping to say hello