WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
hqs7duwvmpqi.jpg
It has helped me to lose weight, keep it off, and improve my health by connecting daily with like minded women. That is the purpose of this thread.

If you made goals or resolutions for May, how did you do?
Tell us about any goals or resolutions you've made for June.

Be sure to bookmark this thread so you can find us again. Also sign your post with a name and location so we know each other better.

May Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
*putter in the yard twice a week (less at the beginning of the month, more at the end)
*meditate daily (yes, and have gradually increased the time)
*learn the dances for the county fair performance (yes)
*keep doing all the things that have been working (yes)

June Resolutions:
*work on the rock project in the front yard 30-60 minutes a day four days a week
*meditate daily, increasing the time by 5 seconds each day
*attend practices for the fair performance twice during the month
*plan and begin a strength training program

Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2017 is "balance"

146200.png

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Barbie, thank you for starting us off in June and for sharing your experiences and wisdom with us. It's much appreciated.

Janetr okc
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    :)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Wow, I wonder if that is why I always feel behind. Barbie said it is already tomorrow!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Halfway through June 1 here. :) About to go for my lunchtime walk.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Michelle in NC oh for Pete's sake....hands ya a really pretty handkerchief. Drool away my friend!!!

Today, when we got back from the laundromat, a police officer was at my dear neighbors door. I told him she had gone, but that she parks right next to our little car. I told him she volunteers in Astoria, and should be home by 2pm. At 1 pm she arrived home so I went over because I had to fill her prescription weekly container. Told her about her visitor, and she confessed that she had been in (yet another) slight accident. She pulled out not yielding so she bumped another car. No one was hurt. She is driving around with no insurance! She has a hearing on the 20th of June, so hopefully the judge will ( I'm sad to state) take away her license. She is 85, and I am nervous for her. I did mention some services that are there to assist, so maybe I will read from the booklet I sent away for.

The other day Monday night, she knocked on my door with a roasted chicken from Costco, bless her heart. I made two meals out of it, throwing some teriyaki sauce on it the second night with some white rice. I now have two Mason jars full of homemade chicken broth in the frig!

I will have to contemplate my goals for June. I will take a pic of my chalk board!

Hugs my ladies!
    Becca
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,078 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hugs everyone. Will need to think about my goals and post tomorrow

Paula Y.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Barbie – As for goals or whatever … all of May, I rolled around on a plateau with lots of rocks that prevented me from falling off and going down; but, today (6/1/17) I am planning on going outside to walk, even though walking for an hour at a good pace doesn’t earn as my CO as 15 minutes on a good clip on the treadmill. OMGoodness, how I ‘hate’ it. Was looking forward to pool being opened; but since the kids filed for bankruptcy, they can’t afford the extra $100 on their utility bill and the pump needs replacing. So it sits; and, I can’t get my ‘favorite’ exercise. Boo! Hiss! But, I do understand and I am trying to ‘stay outta their business’. I don’t want to hear any more griping about $$$. DDnL#1 is very ‘unhappy’ that her car is getting turned back in, now that she has a ‘tin can’ to drive back and forth to work. The fact that it is being ‘loaned’ to them for as long as it takes to be able to find someone who will ‘finance’ one for them isn’t really ‘OK’ with her. The fact that it doesn’t have A/C is really going to be an issue come late July or August. She can drive DOS’s truck; but, I doubt that would be any better for her. I don’t think the A/C in it works either. Oh well. It is always “As the World Turns” down there, so we just sit back and act like we aren’t that concerned.

But, in June, I am planning on my goal to be down to 155lbs. I can do this, I am sure! I’ve just got to STOP eating some things I like but are high calories. Hummus and Guacamole w/chips. I can eat them with carrots or celery; but, it doesn’t quite taste right with carrots; and, I chose to eat the celery instead; but, then I am ‘hungry’ in the middle of the afternoon.

So, I will also get that kettlebell out, too! I’ve got to work on my belly. Tire rim; but, at least I no longer have underarm boobs; my cup size has gone down a size; which means I had to buy new bras; but, I had been wearing my old ones and each time the underwire poked through, it went in the trash! The bras I bought 3 years ago, for $38 a piece (which I thought was highway robbery) have gone up to $65. Not going to happen. I had been told that Victoria Secret now carried bigger bras in the store, so I took my fanny there and bought 2 and got a sports bra for ‘free’. Had to buy one that fastened in the front because I just could not pull any of the others over my head and get them past my shoulders. I guess to wear those, most of them, you have to be rail thin with the skills of a contortionist. Not me. Then I had to buy panties. I found the lace ‘boy legs’ were the most comfortable, barely can feel them. Better than having to ‘try’ to guess what size I wore, they have pads to put on so you can ‘try them on’. Haven’t seen that since SteinMart was open in town.

Michele – Today I cut back a peace plant I have, that never could overcome being pot bound; and, I figured I could tell it ‘die, dammit, you act like a funeral plant in mourning’. I have to laugh that one of my friends call it a ‘pecker plant’. Come to think of it, it does have that ‘look’ to the ‘flower’ portion. Well, I watered it really good and will just ignore it except on watering days. Watered all the plants and orchids out on the porch.

I’m please to say that Windows World is ‘supposed’ to be bringing the stock so that Louis can stain and paint all 4 sides of them and they can be scheduled to come back and replace them. They were supposed to have done that BEFORE they got put up in the first place; but, showed up and put them up in less than 2 hours and left. Louis stained the outside; then he finally got around to painting inside and each one was showing the raw wood inside and out. Totally unacceptable. So after 4 or 5 discussions, they have come up with this solution to make us ‘happy customers’.

I hope my body has not decided that it doesn’t want to go any lower. My goal is to get my BMI down to ‘normal’ for my height and age. I think I have 2 points to go. My DDnL#1 makes the BEST red potato salad; it is so hard to resist! She also makes a good broccoli salad, too.

I try NOT to eat in my car; but, will do so ‘on occasion’. When we go to Louisiana, it is good to be able to ‘get out of the car’, ‘stretch our legs’, ‘eat’, ‘hit the restroom’, and take Cracker out of her crate. She’s good in the car. We’re thinking of leaving a few days earlier and take a trip through a few towns in Texas before heading back to Louisiana … either go through New Orleans, Corpus Christie, San Antonio, and Waco, then head to Will’s and Tami’s for a week. But, we’ll be driving a LOT if we do that; but, we can take our time and just find a place (pet friendly) and head out again the next day. I will have to teach my DOS how and when to water my plants (hopefully he will actually do it). I’ll water them before we leave, so he should only have to water them once while we are gone.

Yeah, I agree, Becca does make some very good-looking meals ‘on a shoe string’. I just found the old cookbook that I got from my DMnL; my Mother had the same cookbook. It must have been one given to brides to start off their housekeeping … I don’t think it misses ‘anything’ a young woman would want or need to do to prepare meals. Right on up to wine, setting the table, and a variety of other choice bits of information. It is “The Lily Wallace New American Cook Book”. I am going to take it to Louisiana and let Tami look through it. She had tried finding her Granny’s recipe for homemade ice cream. Thankfully, she found it, when a family member posted on FB that she had it and was sending it to her. I asked my oldest sister, if she had the ‘cooked custard’ based Mother used to make vanilla ice cream and my middle sister has it. I asked if she’d send it to me.

I have those little rolls of flab; mine right around my tummy area. Depending on what I eat, seems that it is worse at times. Like barely showing ‘if’ I was pregnant. Asked my GYN what I could do to get rid of it, if it was even possible … he said, ‘exercise … a LOT’! Well, that’s not going to happen at this point. I’ve had my Lamictal raised and I do think it is a side effect of it.

Becca – Maybe it is best that she had this little mishap, where nobody got hurt, so that like you said maybe the Judge will take her license away; but, ‘if’ she will drive knowing she doesn’t have insurance, she might not care what the Judge tells her and will drive anyway.

Welcome to all the “newbies” … tell us a bit about yourselves and also this is a reminder to follow Barbie’s link for June and bookmark the page by clicking on the outline of the star at the upper right-hand corner so you can easily find us the next time.

Lenora
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi folks! I'm back. Setting my goals for the month. I did better when connected here. More mindful.

June Goals
    1. Carbs 50-75g (limit 25g/meal)
    2. Fiber 30g
    3. Track/complete entry daily
    4. Vegetables - big salad daily
    5. Exercise - log 30 Fitbit minutes
    6. No eating after 9pm.
    7. In bed by 12am
    8. Zone work - 15 minutes daily
    9. Monthly tasks bingo (24 tasks)

I've had a busy month in May with house guests and getting ready for our annual family reunion coming up in 3 weeks. I need to focus!

-- Ginger in Texas
  • Machka9
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Early June Big Goals

1) Finish large university assignment worth 40% of my mark. 25% is due Monday. 15% is due Wednesday. I have most of the 15% done, but still a long way to go on the 25%.

2) Cycle a 50 km Permanent in order to keep our standing in the Petite Year Round Randonneur challenge. We need to do that on Saturday. fortunately it shouldn't take too much time away from Goal 1.

I've got about 47 other things I also need to accomplish in the first week of June, but those are the main ones.

M in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    I woke up and here I am. Still itching, but using hydrocortisone, there are spots that aren't itching (or at least haven't in a while).

I keep remembering (for some strange reason) that I was saying to Vince how tomorrow someone is bringing a fruit salad and to me that's a perfectly wonderful dessert. He said, "what are you, British? That's what they have". Then I remembered that Heather almost always has a stewed fruit. And he's right! I just never thought of it that way.

Lenora - I can't wear an underwire bra. It just pokes too much into my chest. I did get this strapless bra that isn't underwire. When we had the detached garage built, how I wish that I had stained the windows before they were put in. Vince told me "oh, we can do that after they are put in". It's now years later and they still aren't stained. What foods make your "tummy rolls" look bigger?

Ginger - welcome back!

Michele in NC
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Look at this, I made it through to June.

Lisa - I'm sure your week in Alaska will be so special. Yes, my Dad always said to come visit him while he was alive not at the funeral.

Penny - Thanks for sharing your photos of the beautiful land you live in.

Janetr - Awesome weight loss. Doing the Happy Dance with you.

Becca - Historical reenactment camping sounds interesting but I fear that I am much too lazy for that. I would love to see your photos.

Chris - You are doing amazing.

Heather - I am glad that you always look for the silver lining.

Mia - Hope your recovery goes well.

DJ - Excellent news that your blood work was good.

Leigh - Nice work dropping pounds and your BMI

So many of you ladies inspire me to do better.
    To be truthful I can't even remember what my May Goals were. Yes, that is how bad this haze of work stress, health stress and frustration has been. This month I am considering my goals and this time will display them prominently somewhere I can't miss them.
    My word for this year is Balance. It is a tough thing for me. I start focusing on something and I let something else fall by the wayside. I am also easily distracted and a procrastinator.
    I was doing so well with cleaning up 30 + years of old papers and then I came to a crashing halt. Ugh. So frustrated with myself.

Work stress is still there. I am refusing to open alone. I am now running my decisions through upper management. Yes, I know how to make the decisions but after how I was treated they will just have to suffer the consequences and deal with having more on their plates. I am still helping them with things they are unsure of doing however I make it plain that as my managers I feel they should have been taught these things. I also refuse to cut some poor associate's hrs down from 10 to 5hrs. in a week. Especially when there is really no valid reason to do so. Why should I do it? As salaried managers they can be the ones taking food out of someone's mouth. Much too old for this game.

Took my DGD to dance tonight. She was very liberal with her hugs and kisses. I loved it. Dance recital soon and I am looking forward to watching my princesses perform in ballet, hip hop and tap.

DH took the 14 yr. old to his kick boxing and then out driving. Gramps says he is doing well. I am amazed at how patient DH is with him. Too bad our children never got that benefit.

Ate terribly for the last 2 days. Had a bout with the reflux and other related problems. Need to clean up my act.

Still nervous but excited about the float adventure to come.

Going to dream up some good goals
    -Sharon in Lethbridge.
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Lenora: So sorry to hear about the window problems. We had something similar with a skylight and know it can be one of the most frustrating experiences.

Tere: So sorry to hear about all the problems you have been dealing with. Hopefully June will be the start of what is going to be a great rest of the year!

Ginger: Welome back!

Becca: Love the poster!

May goals:
    My goal was to make it through our vacation with friends and still manage to lose six pounds. I practically made it, 5.9 pounds down for the month.

June goals:
    • Lose 8 pounds. This may be tough because I have noticed that I have started bouncing a little instead of having the steady downward path I was on before the vacation.
    • Complete Stage 1 of the Launchpad strengthening program I have started.
    • Practice chair yoga three times per week.

• Machka9
    Options
    My word for this year is Balance. It is a tough thing for me. I start focusing on something and I let something else fall by the wayside. I am also easily distracted and a procrastinator.
    I was doing so well with cleaning up 30 + years of old papers and then I came to a crashing halt. Ugh. So frustrated with myself.

You need to move.

I've lived in 9 places + an 8-month trip round the world in the past 12 years. I've purged my stuff twice and it has been in storage for 7 years of those 12 years, as we move from one place to the next.

Nothing like a move to give a person a deadline for cleaning up and getting rid of old stuff!

That said, I do still have a few things I've been carting around since childhood. :)