WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Welcome to June, ladies!

Katla – I finally got around to planting bush beans on Tuesday – one short row of green and one of yellow wax. That hot weather we had last week was great for the garden and I see little flower seeds coming up which I’d given up on. Isn’t it nice to have your own beans and blueberries – and being able to control how they are grown?

Once I stopped drinking beer, my GERD also disappeared (except when I eat peanuts before going to bed.) It hit me that I haven’t taken an antacid in months… I can clean off a shelf in the medicine cabinet.

Joyce – I am thrilled your kitties are getting along! So cute that Melody is grooming him. Now, I’ve never heard of washing kitties unless they get into something nasty like oil or grease from being under the car, but it makes sense that if you get them started young, they’ll not be resistant. I have a gigantic water bowl in the bathtub where our indoor kitty hangs out a lot, just “paddling” in the water and splish-splashing. She’d probably like a bath!

Louise and other newbies and returnees.... – welcome and as many have already said, you’ll find plenty of support and ideas here. Hope your dietician can give you some guidance on getting that scale to reflect a loss.

Sharon – what is float therapy? If it’s floating in a small tank of warm water…. Sounds very soothing. I’ll be there in spirit! Can’t wait to hear how it works!

Dana – sorry you are still sick! Airplane germs! The worst, lol.

Heather and others – I love all the tips about using the MFP logging and eating back calories. I’ve been most successful at eating sensibly when I have pre-logged.

Sometimes I can be really “in the groove” and look forward to logging, watching the scale drop a bit and just overall feel good and energized, and how other times I abandon sensible eating. This varies from month to month.

I know I had a rocky spell with the DH/me grumpy episode this past week. His RA is progressive and chronic and he has other health issues, doesn’t leave the house much partially because of his depression and also his “fear of germs” – he is on prednisone so has lowered immunity – I don’t blame him at all for that. I think I get “caregiver” burnout – he doesn’t really take that much of my care right now but it’s a constant responsibility being the sole link and “joy” to someone’s world and some cooperation/appreciation is in order. I was able to park that in the back of my mind when I was working. Now I face it 24/7. We talked it out and the light bulb came on for him, hope it stays on for a while.

And so, by some miracle – perhaps due to increased activity with gardening and better walking weather, my weight has stayed the same even consuming too many high-sugar/high-calorie snacks that I should not eat. I know better.

But I still need to resume my plan drop some “belly fat” which in my mind is 5 or 10 lbs.

This past month, I’ve been having problems with low blood pressure – am working with doc to see if I just need to totally stop the Losartan blood pressure med or if there’s something else going on. I get sooo pooped lifting/carrying/shoveling/bending while gardening and weeding and it ticks me off. That and allergies/allergy meds have been kicking me around and energy wanes.

But despite that I have good news….

I’ve been averaging way over the 8000 steps per day goal I set for myself. Plan to continue!

Have set up my weight ‘studio’ and have started going through the Strong Women Stay Young routine. Plan to get serious and go through it two or three times per week instead of “when I remember”. Thanks to all of you who continue to inspire me.

I have been a sporadic logger (I’m trying to do WW online logging at the same time and get overwhelmed) but will concentrate on the MFP logging. Planning a high-protein low-sugar/carb delicious snack after supper will be the key.

A final thought…. Thanks again to all of you who share your successes and struggles in not only weight loss, but life in general. I see a bit of me in each of you. We are survivors!

OK, walk is done and time to hit the weights. DH decided to take a drive into town and pick up his new glasses and order a load of beauty bark. My mini vacation starts NOW!! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I have made up the dry ease calendar for June, and wow, everything is just crowded into the first two weeks! On the 12th husband has his final ERCP which is the stent in the bile duct thing. The doctor will remove the couple that are presently in, and thus doing so, see if the duct has gotten bigger. If it hasn't, then its surgery to replace the duct. A last resort, and never something the doctor has wanted to do. Its pretty serious, so I am hoping life will smile on that guy of mine, and make this ERCP a simple procedure.

Son graduates soon! He rec'd two plaques at an assembly yesterday. One for scholarship and the other citizenship. Another award was from the Presidents Education Award's Program for Outstanding Academic Excellence. He is such a smart kid! So proud of him!

Soon husband will be going to our dealership so car can get an oil check and a new wiper blade. I shall be staying home and pay bills! Oh...joy...

Made up a short shopping trip that will take us to the 6th, when its Senior Day at the grocery store. Have to shop on that day and get my 10% off! So 5 days worth of meals coming out to an anticipated amount of $68. Sadly we are out of a lot of condiments. I also need both beef and chicken stock paste.

Today after we get back from shopping I shall make up my goal poster. Glad you liked my May poster!
    Hugs ladies!
    Becca
    Ooh I was up at 5:30 am, and watched my husbands eyeballs flick around in his closed eyelids...so freaky!!! Gotta appreciate REM sleep..
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Becca ~ I know you must be bursting with pride over your son's accomplishments.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi friends,
    Hope everyone is entering June with some determination to change things they can, and accept and deal with things they can't change in healthy ways!

I did an hour of water class yesterday. The teacher is awesome. She does very little talking. Has this hand signal for a change coming up. She is non stop movement

Been potting plants today for my front porch. Working up a sweat and enjoying being outside. Getting a little sun on my "angel wings". Still no resolution on my medication issues but I am seeing a different doctor tomorrow so hope that goes well and I get back on them.

Ginger - So good to see you back with us! I have really missed you (and your little check marks, too)!

Dana - feel better soon!

Barbie - Thanks for the June thread!

Matchka- Have a wonderful winter! (My second favorite season in Tennessee) Would you believe that once on a geography test in grade school I answered the question "What day is Christmas in Australia?" with July 25?!?!?! By the time I got my test back I had realized what I had done! DUHHHHH!

Lanette - I have also wondered what float therapy is. I thought it might be white water rafting or doing the "dead man" float in the neighborhood pool. Now I am picturing Katla in the horse trough! Oh, dear! Help us out someone. What is float therapy?

Love to you all

Toni in Tennessee

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    L
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    Rest day! My Lymes disease is either acting up and feels as though I broke my back between my shoulder blades or my back is acting up! Which ever it is I will be only able to walk today! I know that my limes disease is causing extreme brain fog today. I got onto the freeway after leaving my DH' S grand sons graduation and I didn't know where I was not once but twice! I even called my DH because I was worried!

It sounds like several of us are pulling muscles or injuring ourselves lately! Hopefully everybody will be on the mend!

Margaret - so glad that your sub position is almost over! Enjoy the last few days!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Those are some pretty good size hares Penny. I bet that stream is really cold. I live through the European friends here. Not that I don't love the rest of you but we can travel anywhere in the US. I don't think either of us feel comfortable traveling out of the country. We enjoy being close to our doctors, kids, etc. I don't know if I could move somewhere that I am not living more than 4 hours away from the girls. I know I could travel but as we have gotten older, wo don't want to travel as much. I think a lot of it has to do with DH ileostomy and Parkinson's. With the latter, he just seems more vulnerable. So I love seeing and reading of you girls lives.

Well I thought the vet appointment was today. I got my calendar out and it's next Monday. Mr Mozart is eating a lot more now and for that I am pleased. The prescribed is 1/2 to 3/4 cup. I started out with 1/2 cup, sometimes he would eat all of it and sometimes he would eat next to nothing. I wish we had weighed him when we got him. He still is skinny. Last night I was playing with the laser pen and Melody decided to get in the action as long as the red dot was still on the couch. Yes, I even have a couch potato cat. But eventually little squirt saw it and jumped up on the couch. Melody didn't mind and even let him play with the red dot. She eventually had enough and swatted him off the couch. So later Melody just sitting minding her own business, not even flicking her tail. I saw Mr Mozart sitting in the chair in his crouched down position. I knew what was going down. He pounced and leaped.....then fell flat on the floor. Didn't leap far enough. But got a cute picture this morning. When I opened the patio door, there they both were, sitting side by side in harmony.A minute later Melody has swatted him away. I'm afraid that I am going to have to employ the can of air on her.

I am safe in the ho use with most foods, well I love my husband's Life cereal. It's at the grocery store that I have a problem. And if I buy it and it's in the house, I am good as long as I eat all of it and it's gone. I don't have the strength to put it in the trash can. I guess if someone came in my house and took it with the, I would let them. I know there are many times that I buy something like a chocolate candy bar, and it's cheaper to buy the King size, and eat it before I get home to Charlie. I wish he would chastise me, I have asked him but he won't.

Joyce, in sunny Indiana 87 degrees!
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Penny -- that rabbit is just the cutest thing. I saw a rabbit on my walk at lunch today, but he was just brown and fast!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    dana love your goals and the trajectory you are on--inspiring!

Finally a beautiful afternoon! I am sitting in peaceful sunshine listening to the birds chirp and not even bothering to plant my tomato seedlings-that's how relaxed (Mmm, lazy) I feel.

Drinking lots of water and feeling all the better for it--lots of steps to the bathroom lol.

NYKAREN
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    fvsp1213 wrote: »

I'm still thinking about June goals. I'm weaning myself off getting a latte every morning on my way to work. Even without any added sugar, it's about 200 calories for a medium, just from the milk. With only 1200 calories a day available to me, I'm not sure that's a great use of calories, but I really do enjoy it, and I make it last almost all morning, so giving it up is a little sad for me. I tried going fat-free on the milk, and just No.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley (Oregon)

:)Felicia, When I started on my weight loss journey a few years ago I realized that I was getting too many calories from the yummy creamer that I put in my coffee, so I gradually decreased the creamer until I realized that I didn't like coffee without the sweet creamer so I decided to stop drinking coffee. At first I drank herb tea in the morning and then when I started walking the dogs in the morning, realized that I would be better off not drinking anything before going out for a walk. Now I drink nothing in the morning so I can easily walk the dogs for two hours and then drink only water for the rest of the day. I wish you the best as you decide what to do about your daily coffee.

:)Penny, many people here spend the winter in Arizona so for them, winter is defined as October to April and summer is April to October.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington