WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Options

Replies

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all,

Up early, but that would be because I was asleep on the couch by 7:15 last night. Exhausting week, but productive. No travel scheduled next week, fingers crossed.

Allie--hang in there, girl. I know it feels like the first step into the unknown, but you have taken many more steps than you think, just to get to where you are. This is just the next one, not the first one. Thinking of you.

Cath - welcome to a great group! We're glad you're here, always happy to welcome a new person to the community. Whereabouts are you? We have folks here from coast to coast and border to border in America, plus amazing ladies in Canada, France, Norway, the UK and Australia. There may be other countries I missed in that list... :) Plus of course, there are a number of us from Texas, which is a whole other country, according to our current tourism advertisements :wink:

Heather - love the cushion! Very much your taste.

Dana - hope you're feeling better.

Joyce - my husband said last night that maybe it's time we got me a cat to keep me company at home. If we do, I want two of them, and their care can be quite expensive, especially in the beginning, with spaying, etc. We'll just have to see. If the warehouse sells, we'll be living in the camper trailer for an unknown number of months, and can't imagine doing that with a pair of cats in 216 square feet of living space. :)

Becca - love the pics, your pride in your son is so lovely to see. Still thinking on the move up to Washington?

OK, time to stop avoiding the subject. I utterly failed at May goals, no excuses, just blew everything to pfffbbbbtttth.

June goals:

Log everything
    Log everything
    Log everything (everything!)
    Work out at least three days a week.

If that ends up with me being lighter, then so be it.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    pitegny- thanks for hug

ALLIE- go girl

CATH - welcome to a great group, wish I'd started this in my 50s but it's never too late. I weigh every day but am aware of fluctuations. If I don't, I kid myself that I'm ok but only record on MFP weekly

Been shopping planning healthy meals today, DH doesn't help, he bought 4 custard tarts which will last him 2 or 3 days if I don't eat any, he isn't greedy like me, so he has jackets that still fit after 10 years.

Found Jane Fonda workouts on youtube, quite gentle but great for improving balance, strength and flexibility, will add to my workouts a couple of times a week

Kate UK <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    My sweet grand kids!

kllyrf5pfqcs.jpg

SO CUTE!!!

Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    June goals:

Log everything
    Log everything
    Log everything (everything!)

One thing I found about logging everything (which I do) is that it can be a pain if you have a bite of this and spoonful of that and so on. So rather than dealing with 10 grams of this and 20 grams of that all day long, I just don't eat all those things. I end up eating a fairly basic, rather repetitive collection of food. Our dinners vary, but what I eat between 10:30 am when I have my first snack and 6:30 pm when I have my after work snack is almost always the same.

And it make it easier to turn down stuff at work. Option A, I could have my usual snack. Option B, I go with whatever is being offered to me which I'd have to look up and probably guess at ... and that's going to be a huge pain, so I'll go with Option A. :)

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Love all the grandkids, great niece's etc. <3<3<3<3<3 Warms the heart. :D

I've lost another few oz. I am hovering just to the wrong side of the 10 stone black line. 140 lbs. (Analogue scales) I haven't actually been at that target weight exactly since I got there three and a half years ago! Always been a pesky pound or two up, so I am making progress! As I found out I am an inch shorter than I thought I was I am now aiming at 137 lbs, so I've got a way to go. :laugh: But I'm feeling pretty good.

Lisa - The colours are perfect. :D But they are sooooooooooooo expensive! :'( Can't bring myself.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,053 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Toni – Sorry you are having to change MDs, especially after being with one for 20 years. I know there’ll be a time when I have to find a ‘new-to-me’ GYN; not happy when that happens, he has treated me since my first pregnancy, which ended badly = but if not for him and his research, I probably would not be here or be a mother. It took him several weeks, but, he did not want to perform a hysterectomy on a child-bearing age woman. Said that in the 42 years since, they’ve only seen 2 women with the same problem. Took chemo afterwards because it has metastasized. Was telling him about a HS friend’ DnL who had the same problem; but, they did not give her chemo, so now she has full-blown cancer. Her Oncologist was ‘surprised’ that her OB//GYN had not put her into chemo or referred her to an Oncologist right afterwards. That is the trouble with it, it affects the placenta and the placenta is directly tapped to your bloodstream. She just got out of the hospital after 2 weeks in-patient radical treatment.

This is the same friend who had posted to ‘pray for her DnL' because her HCG levels were ‘off the charts’. I called her and told her to get her DnL to ask about the possibility of a Hydatidiformole pregnancy and she did and it was. I just wished it had not turned out to be cancer for her – especially with 2 young, precious daughters. The OB/GYN had told them that they would ‘never’ have children.

Katla – When I was about 20 and got put in the hospital because I had passed out while I was working (actually in the restroom) and my boss came checking on me – I loved my regular MD; but, he sent in a female GYN and she had long, red fingernails and I told her ‘she was NOT going to examine me’. She got insistent and I told her again, she was NOT going to examine me. She called my MD and he told her ‘nope, I will find someone else’. When he made his rounds I told him about her ‘claw-like nails’. Had another female OB/GYN and liked her. My middle sister will NOT go to any MD unless they are female. I’m on a ‘first name’ basis with my GYN; my GP and I will probably never be on ‘first name basis’ (out of his respect for me as an older patient). But, that is okay; I probably would not go to him for a gynecological exam either.

Joyce – Louis decided one night to throw one of Cracker’s toys across the room; he started a habit that he can’t stop. He says I ‘spoiled’ her; and, I tell him ‘he taught her all her bad habits’. When he comes home, she is his shadow. When he sends her in because he is going somewhere, she will stay at the door and ‘whine’ for him and then come in here and ‘speak to me’. Louis says she does the same thing when I leave.

Heather – We spent a small fortune on the cushions for the wrought iron settee and 3 chairs and footstool; but, well worth it. Is what you are calling ‘cushions’ what we call ‘pillows’?
    A couple of years ago, I had someone make 2 pillows (large) for my DYS for his sofa. In a bright Mexican material to give his room a little color. Everything ranged from light taupe to brown.
    Love the pillows!

Lenora
  • NancyLeach123
    NancyLeach123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Well since I just typed a big confession then hit "done" and it went POOF...I have to say getting used to this site and navigating isn't simple
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    Heather – We spent a small fortune on the cushions for the wrought iron settee and 3 chairs and footstool; but, well worth it. Is what you are calling ‘cushions’ what we call ‘pillows’?
    A couple of years ago, I had someone make 2 pillows (large) for my DYS for his sofa. In a bright Mexican material to give his room a little color. Everything ranged from light taupe to brown.
    Love the pillows!

Lenora

In Canada and Australia ...

Cushions are decorative and go onto sofas or as decoration on a bed. Or in my case, I have a couple decorative ones on the top of a bookshelf.

Pillows are what you sleep on. :)

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

In Canada and Australia ...

Cushions are decorative and go onto sofas or as decoration on a bed. Or in my case, I have a couple decorative ones on the top of a bookshelf.

Pillows are what you sleep on. :)

[/quote] Machka.

Ditto Britain. :D:laugh: I am also thinking of buying some new pillows for our bed.

Today I took the main part of the covers off the sofa to wash them. Huge struggle! It's all velcroed on and very tight. Sprayed the worst parts with Vanish and they are on a 30° wash. Will do the rest separately as it's a huge sofa. I remember last time it was a wrestling match for the two of us to get it back on. :sad:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Pip ... what's with the all caps? I thought you loved the WIND! :D
    Lmao!!! U r funny, found the fricken wind was 11mph!

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    68547cwg98wmzcn.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Joyce: Your new kitty is certainly a live wire. It sounds as though he's a combination of entertaining and exasperating. :smiley:

Heather: I love the colors in that cushion! :bigsmile:

Machka: You seem to be healing well. I hope you're able to visit your dad later in the week, and I hope things go very well for him. :heart:

Kate UK: I had gallbladder surgery about 10 years ago. It was such a blessing. I had one huge gallstone, about the size of a robin's egg. Many people have more than one and smaller. My best diet advice pre gallstone surgery is watch out for fats. They triggered attacks for me. Dips and soft cheeses like brie were sure fire triggers. :flowerforyou:

cathywright22: You are welcome and can be our token "youngster." :smiley:

Alison: (((HUGS)))

Lisa: Great goals! :bigsmile:

Peach: The grandkids are darling in their matching swim caps. :smiley:

Heather: I spiked up a bit in my weight and this morning the scale has me back under 140. I want to keep going so that I have 4 or 5 pounds of flex room. I cut back on snacks and eliminated alcohol--again. It works & I feel better. Your post inspired me to wonder how tall I am so I measured my height with DH's help and I'm holding steady at 5'7". Yay! I've been taking bone density medicine ever since I broke my second wrist in a fall on ice a couple of years ago. It seems to be very helpful. I take alondrate, a generic for fosamax. I take the long acting version, which is one pill a week. The down side of the alondrate is that you have to take it on an empty stomach & sit upright for at least half an hour before consuming any food or morning coffee. :noway: I couldn't handle that on a daily basis and am very pleased to only take it once a week. :heart:

Nancy Leach: I nearly always post from my computer. I have a word document open on my screen beside the Women 50+ thread and type my answers as I read. Then I copy my word document and paste it into the thread. It has saved loads of frustration with lost posts. It has also saved me from posting inappropriate comments many times because I review everything before I hit the Post button.:wink:

Yoga today, and DH has an eye appointment this afternoon. This one is with the doctor who zaps extra blood vessels in the back of the eye using a laser. It is not fun for DH, but is necessary to preserve his vision.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Heather posted a quote similar to this that I wanted to use, but I couldn't recall it quite right. I went online and found this one.

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Well since I just typed a big confession then hit "done" and it went POOF...I have to say getting used to this site and navigating isn't simple

Good morning! Cursed technology!
  • weezieweeks
    weezieweeks Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I had a pretty good day yesterday. After I ate my lunch, I was still thinking about eating (can I eat yet, when can I eat, how much can I eat - it was endless), so after waiting it out close to 2 hours, I buzzed a protein drink and ice in my bullet and took it with me went we went to the vet with our dog. That seemed to help out quite a bit; it made me feel fuller and was still within my snack calories. Later, I had another small snack (1/2 protein bar so 100 cals), which finally seemed to do the trick until dinner. I thought about eating dinner early instead of the snack, but got nervous about having a long evening ahead of me and not eating again except for a snack. I actually made it with 1532 total - and feel of sense of success and accomplishment.

I did make it a 2nd nite of going to bed to go to sleep - no reading, no ipad and no food - this is not easy for me.

We have two appointments today, so not sure I will make it to the gym. I am taking my husband to the VA for a test, so might just be able to walk the long hallways indoors while he is busy. Mostly, I am posting this here in order to help myself and get it done!

Louise in Vegas

• tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Got my medicine finally. Went to the different doc, got a new prescription, slightly different, went to get it filled and low and behold, insurance had approved my regular dose! Just like taking the car to the mechanic, the problem disappears when you take it in. Oh, my!
    I have to start back on the med slowly. I was getting pretty desperate and last night had such anxiety waking from a crazy dream I couldn't catch my breath. I wanted to exercise today and tomorrow but I think I'll just rest (other than going to work) until Tuesday when I am back on the regular dosage. Soooooo thankful this is settled for now. Pharmacy said the Rx is approved for a year.(Still planning to find a new regular doc.They were just too negligent!)

Mary - hope your symptoms ease soon. Do you have poison ivy on top of the Lymes? Sending prayers your way.

Peach - those grandkids are too cute!

Sarah - Happy anniversary!

Heather! - love the pillows/cushions!

Joyce - laughing so hard at your kitty in the housecoat tale! Thanks for the chuckle!

Toni in Tennessee
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Posted last night:

I got out of the house for breakfast today.

I called my hairdresser and told her I cannot stand under a shower or raise my arms to soap my hair. She told me to drop by and she would fit me in when ever I got there.

Mike is going out tonight for his night out with the guys. My friend who earns her living feeding and walking pets cam over and made sure my beloved pooch got a walk, food, and a big hug. This was her gift to me in place of flowers.

After the puppers was cared for I got to go for a ride in her new car to get some fried rice and some conversation before she had to go see her last clients of the day.

I am so blessed.

Mia in MI

Thank you Grits for the reminder that time marches on and we are now in June.