reading while at the gym, really?

Options
ndj1979
ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
I saw someone on a treadmill reading a book today, and it kind of got me to thinking. If you are on a treadmill running/walking whatever, how can you concentrate on reading a book? Another person brings in a tablet and sets it on ground in front of them when working with some of the machines...weird..

In my humble opinion, if you are reading book or watching a tablet while at gym then said person is not working out hard enough and/or are not concentrating on routine.

I mean we can't go to the gym for an hour without brining a book or tablet, really?

curious what the rest of you think ....read/tablet = yes, no, or epic fail ....

Replies

• SarahRose35
    SarahRose35 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My mom takes her Kindle to the gym and I see older men reading the Newspaper quite often. The people who do this are probably aiming to keep their mind off the fact that they are in fact exercising. I don't see it as a fail, I see it as a win. The could easily be doing the same thing, but sitting down. At least they're moving.
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My mom takes her Kindle to the gym and I see older men reading the Newspaper quite often. The people who do this are probably aiming to keep their mind off the fact that they are in fact exercising. I don't see it as a fail, I see it as a win. The could easily be doing the same thing, but sitting down. At least they're moving.

I agree.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    If I'm on a stationary bike, sure. Not really able to read anywhere else, and the stationary bike for me is when I need to get blood flow to continue in my legs after a particularly strenuous lower day.

But to each his own. Everybody seems to be reading something at my gym.
  • ndj1979
    Options

don't you think they would have better progress/results if they concentrated on their routine for an hour?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Depends if the goal is to bust your *kitten* to improve yourself, or just to get up and get moving. If the latter, goal is still accomplished.
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The funniest I've ever seen was a man reading the newspaper while on the thigh adductor machine. He was going at a ridiculously fast pace with the newspaper spread wide open. I don't know how much benefit he got from it but I got a great laugh at just the visual.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    These are the type of people who are probably just exercising to burn off calories as opposed to exercising for the fitness benefits or aiming to rach a specific goal. The wrong approach if you ask me. Also the type of people who could be getting just as good results in half the time by actually focusing and putting in a bit of effort
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I can read when I'm on more stationary cardio equipment, like a bike or an elliptical. I'm not sure what I would really need to concentrate on while I'm on a cardio machine. As long as my heart rate is up and I'm moving, my legs do the job themselves.
    I saw someone on a treadmill reading a book today, and it kind of got me to thinking. If you are on a treadmill running/walking whatever, how can you concentrate on reading a book? Another person brings in a tablet and sets it on ground in front of them when working with some of the machines...weird..

In my humble opinion, if you are reading book or watching a tablet while at gym then said person is not working out hard enough and/or are not concentrating on routine.

I mean we can't go to the gym for an hour without brining a book or tablet, really?

curious what the rest of you think ....read/tablet = yes, no, or epic fail ....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    If I'm on a stationary bike, sure. Not really able to read anywhere else, and the stationary bike for me is when I need to get blood flow to continue in my legs after a particularly strenuous lower day.

But to each his own. Everybody seems to be reading something at my gym.

I could see the bike..

the tablet thing really blew my mind...LOL
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

don't you think they would have better progress/results if they concentrated on their routine for an hour?

Or they might have no progress or results because the gym is beyond boring to some people. If bringing a book makes it an enjoyable experience, there's a way better chance they'll actually go.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    These are the type of people who are probably just exercising to burn off calories as opposed to exercising for the fitness benefits or aiming to rach a specific goal. The wrong approach if you ask me. Also the type of people who could be getting just as good results in half the time by actually focusing and putting in a bit of effort

I have specific goals and I manage to read on my tablet?
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the book. On the tablet, it's possible that they are logging their workout on there. Or maybe watching a video on proper form. I'm not so quick to judge on the tablet as it can be a useful tool to help with the workouts.
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    I watch Netflix on my iPad when I walk on the treadmill at the gym. I wish I could read instead, but that just makes me all kinds of motion-sick. And yep, it keeps my mind off the boring walk. I set the machine to hill intervals at 3.5mph, turn up the tunes on the iPhone and watch my programming with closed captions instead of the boring *kitten* Home Improvement channel the gym plays.

Why's that got your panties all in a twist?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

I have worse results if I have to concentrate on what I'm doing. I hate doing my cardio at the gym, I much prefer running outside. But, sometimes my schedule doesn't allow that. So I just get it done on a machine, and I'll use any tool possible to get it out of my head that I'm walking/cycling/ellipticalling in place for however long. Although, running and reading just sounds dangerous.
  • woodstockchick
    Options
    Just burst out laughing picturing that :) ( the guy reading the paper on the thigh machine)
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    Was it me? I was just there, on the treadmill with my nook. ;)

For me, I am only at the gym to lift weights, and I do 10-15 minutes walking on the treadmill (4 mph/incline) to warm up. I can read at that pace, and I don't watch enough TV to be able to enjoy watching the TVs for just a few minutes. That being said, before you judge whether folks like me are getting a workout that's worth it, in my case this is my 2nd workout today. I already did 1 hour of bootcamp at 6am. I do that 4xweek, kettle bells 1xweek, a 1/2 marathon training run 1xweek (outside, where people are supposed to run ;)), and hit the gym to lift 3xweek. I'm not trying to kill it on the treadmill. FWIW!

ETA: not running a half 1xweek, but ramping up mileage to train for one.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    This is the most ignorant and uncultured comment I've ever read on here.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm with you on the book. On the tablet, it's possible that they are logging their workout on there. Or maybe watching a video on proper form. I'm not so quick to judge on the tablet as it can be a useful tool to help with the workouts.

good point on the tablet..I will use my iphone to check form sometimes...or log stuff...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    This is the most ignorant and uncultured comment I've ever read on here.

care to elaborate? Or are you just going to spout off a bunch of crap that makes no sense...
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people reading and sweating in the gym. I plug in and watch the news when I run on the treadmill, actually makes it easier for me to breathe correctly and I don't worry about time as much.