reading while at the gym, really?

Options

Replies

• tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    My mom takes her Kindle to the gym and I see older men reading the Newspaper quite often. The people who do this are probably aiming to keep their mind off the fact that they are in fact exercising. I don't see it as a fail, I see it as a win. The could easily be doing the same thing, but sitting down. At least they're moving.

don't you think they would have better progress/results if they concentrated on their routine for an hour?

Or they might have no progress or results because the gym is beyond boring to some people. If bringing a book makes it an enjoyable experience, there's a way better chance they'll actually go.

lifting heavy *kitten* never gets boring in my book....
    Well, I *don't* try to read or watch Netflix when I'm heavy lifting. But on the cardio machine, I'm bored to death if I have to watch the clock.
  • evviamarshall
    evviamarshall Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think you should do what works for you and let others do what works for them. Would you prefer they stay home and not workout because what helps them get through a workout isn't what you need? Different strokes for different folks. I brought a book with me to the gym today and rode the stationary bike and did the stair climber while reading. I do it because when I'm at the gym away from my kids that's my time to read and focus on not just improving myself physically, but also mentally by diving into a good book. I am able to multitask so I am able to turn up the resistance and get a good sweat going all while reading. I couldn't tell you what the other people at the gym were doing because I don't go for them, and I'm not competing with them.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    A person could have an injury and that may be the only physical activity they are able to do on a particular day. I know on days when my bad back flares up, a walk on the treadmill (while reading) helps with the pain through activity and distraction.

ETA: most of the time I use the ipad because I can also watch videos, movies etc
  • nave002
    nave002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Personally, I totally couldn't do it! I can barely read a text message as a passenger in a vehicle without feeling motion sickness! lol

If it takes their mind of what they are doing, good for them I guess. For me, I'm a music person -- that keeps me motivated and, of course, the eye candy doesn't hurt! :laugh:
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Its the folks having conversations on their cells phones next to me on the treadmill I find irritating. they talk loud to overcome the background noise of the machine and I have to put up with the conversation.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    My mom takes her Kindle to the gym and I see older men reading the Newspaper quite often. The people who do this are probably aiming to keep their mind off the fact that they are in fact exercising. I don't see it as a fail, I see it as a win. The could easily be doing the same thing, but sitting down. At least they're moving.

don't you think they would have better progress/results if they concentrated on their routine for an hour?

Or they might have no progress or results because the gym is beyond boring to some people. If bringing a book makes it an enjoyable experience, there's a way better chance they'll actually go.

Well, I *don't* try to read or watch Netflix when I'm heavy lifting. But on the cardio machine, I'm bored to death if I have to watch the clock.

when I run I run outside..running on a treadmill makes me feel like a hamster or something...
  • ruthrowlett1
    ruthrowlett1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Seriously STOP STALKING ME - just kidding but I did just leave the gym!! I do use my Kindle why on the elliptical and sometimes treadmill BUT if I'm doing weights or any other machine no.

At least they are making an effort!

I know one guy who used to bring his tablet and watch a video that helped him to work out.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    This is the most ignorant and uncultured comment I've ever read on here.

Really? This isn't even close to the most ignorant and uncultured comment I have read here.
  • demarii06
    demarii06 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Like stated before it gets your mind off of the exercise, and in college I did it often to save time. I was studying. I don't do it now, but yes the human mind is capable of doing multiple things at once. I'm sorry that it may be difficult for you. It's just like listening to music, I use the length/speed of song to keep me going, so I'm thinking of anything but my sweat covered face lol.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Normally I'm focussing on other people's sets in my rest breaks but if I'm training by myself I'll stuff around on my phone or whatever (as well as doing some mobility/prehab stuff). 3ish min rest breaks means plenty of time to stuff around.

If I was doing cardio of the LISS variety like on a machine of some sort, I think I could probably read something no problem. HIIT is obviously not possible!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Normally I'm focussing on other people's sets in my rest breaks but if I'm training by myself I'll stuff around on my phone or whatever (as well as doing some mobility/prehab stuff). 3ish min rest breaks means plenty of time to stuff around.

If I was doing cardio of the LISS variety like on a machine of some sort, I think I could probably read something no problem. HIIT is obviously not possible!

I do the same bro ..usually check email or some crap ...2.5 to three minutes is a good amount of time on rest...
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options

when I run I run outside..running on a treadmill makes me feel like a hamster or something...
    Good for you? I don't run, I walk. And walking outside isn't always an option.

I really don't understand why your knickers are bunched, homie. Dafuq do you care?
  • nave002
    nave002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Its the folks having conversations on their cells phones next to me on the treadmill I find irritating. they talk loud to overcome the background noise of the machine and I have to put up with the conversation.

It's pretty sad when you have to wear earplugs to the gym.... :grumble:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Like stated before it gets your mind off of the exercise, and in college I did it often to save time. I was studying. I don't do it now, but yes the human mind is capable of doing multiple things at once. I'm sorry that it may be difficult for you. It's just like listening to music, I use the length/speed of song to keep me going, so I'm thinking of anything but my sweat covered face lol.

its not difficult for me ....

My thought is that people get more out of the gym if they focus on their routine rather than a book ...

I like to read...but I could not read when I am running because I am trying to haul *kitten* ...but maybe that is just me..?
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yeah. But they would have less progress if they were just reading without working out at the same time.
    I don't do it -- but if it gets them there it's better than nada right?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I read while running all the time. I don't like exercise, not running or classes or lifting or any of that crap, and it makes it more pleasant and time pass faster. I do it on my iPad so all I have to do is throw it on the ledge and tap the screen to turn the page? I still run hard, get my heart rate up right to my target, and gun it for 5k while I read some trashy book. It's a lot easier to tolerate putting myself through it if I'm reading.

But I was always the kid reading at the dinner table and under my desk at school so this is nothing new for me. Whatever works, right?
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is going all out all the time, sometimes I hit up the bike machine with my 3DS when I'm really sore from lifting day before and am only really there to try to ease muscle soreness through cardio.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I've brought my tablet to the gym before and loaded it with a movie or show I wanted to watch while I was running. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but it helped to keep my mind of the long run.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I either read or watch Netflix on my phone while on the elliptical or stationary bike. I used to bring my Kindle and read. I still sweat and still challenge myself. I see plenty of people who do this and honestly don't see the big deal.

I have no idea how someone could do it on the weight machines though.
  • demarii06
    demarii06 Posts: 340 Member
    Options

its not difficult for me ....

My thought is that people get more out of the gym if they focus on their routine rather than a book ...

I like to read...but I could not read when I am running because I am trying to haul *kitten* ...but maybe that is just me..?

Have u really seen someone "running" and reading a book? I call bull on that one.