reading while at the gym, really?

Options

Replies

• MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You know the best way to motivate my butt at the gym? Find a new book, get really into that book, and then tell myself I can only read it when I'm at the gym. I read on the less...unsteady equipment but yes, it's too difficult to read while on that treadmill. As a result 20 minutes on the treadmill feels 4 times as long as 20 minutes on a bike to me. I set goal prizes for myself at certain weights and one of them is a subscription to audiobooks.com but for now I have to do it the old fashioned way. And it doesn't distract me. I read at work while talking on the phone, I've been able to read and walk while not bumping into anything since I was a preteen. True bookworms let nothing get in the eay.

That's how I motivate myself to clean! I get an audiobook I can only listen to when I'm cleaning. Works like a charm.

If I could read while working out, I totally would.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    A TV programme recently did say that research showed that the intensity of workouts does decrease when distracted by the gym tv screens even so reading must also take your attention away from what you are doing. I have my iPod on but do find my eyes straying to the screens. Couldn't read though - need peace and quiet for that.
  • nkayyy
    nkayyy Posts: 46
    Options
    I LOVE reading at the gym! I get really bored just running on the treadmill or elliptical and seeing the same wall for my whole 30-60 minute workout. So reading a book, or watching a movie on my iPhone, makes it more interesting and fun!

I generally have two different modes when doing cardio at the gym:

1. The assigned reading. I took a Great Books class at school this year, which required a LOT of reading. Books like the Iliad and Odyssey, Dante's Inferno, and Shakespeare plays... heavy stuff! Some nights I was too busy during the day to work out, so instead of staying up super late trying to hit the gym and finish my reading, I'd combine the two. It's perfect motivation; I tell myself "you can't finish working out until you reach page 250" and "you better focus on reading so you can be done working out sooner!"

2. The fun reading. I adore books, but I feel so guilty and idle when I just read in bed or sitting on the couch. So I try to read "fun" books when I'm either tanning, or working out. It's great because getting immersed in the story distracts me from the fact that I'm working out, so an hour will pass without me even realizing it! I suppose this works for me mainly because I'm a long distance runner, so I'm good at maintaining a steady pace. It's seriously the best combination ever though... endorphins and a good story. Yes.

I usually listen to music with my headphones at the same time just to have some pleasant background noise. So yep, I'm THAT person... but hey, at least I don't talk on the phone!
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I always read my Kindle while I'm on the elliptical or a stationary bike. And I've been doing just fine with my workouts. Really, I am. This is why I'd never go to a gym. I don't need to be judged about not doing it hard enough or right enough by the other people.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    You know the best way to motivate my butt at the gym? Find a new book, get really into that book, and then tell myself I can only read it when I'm at the gym. I read on the less...unsteady equipment but yes, it's too difficult to read while on that treadmill. As a result 20 minutes on the treadmill feels 4 times as long as 20 minutes on a bike to me. I set goal prizes for myself at certain weights and one of them is a subscription to audiobooks.com but for now I have to do it the old fashioned way. And it doesn't distract me. I read at work while talking on the phone, I've been able to read and walk while not bumping into anything since I was a preteen. True bookworms let nothing get in the eay.

Agree.

The only things is that I can't read while expressing, my eyes are not good for that.
    But I watch movies or TV series.

If I am watching a scary movie, I can run reaaaaaaaaally fast!
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm a law student. I sometimes have a good 6 hours of reading to knock out in a day. I'll take it to the gym and walk for a few hours and read, not as my primary exercise for the day, but so that I don't have to just sit there for 6 hours. My margin notes look pretty jacked though.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    In my humble opinion, if you are reading book or watching a tablet while at gym then said person is not working out hard enough and/or are not concentrating on routine.

I have to agree on this.

I really push myself when I'm doing cardio and there would be no way I'd be able to concentrate on a book or magazine when I'm trying to concentrate on my breathing and wiping the sweat out of my eyes.

To each their own though.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    If I couldn't watch TV or a movie while on the elliptical or treadmill I would read a book. It makes perfect sense to me, because just doing the exercise with nothing to occupy your mind is so soul crushingly, mind-numbingly, friggin' effing BORING that I'd never last longer than ten minutes.
  • redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have seen a guy read on a tablet while doing abs like really bro? Totally with you its nuts!! Hahaha I thought it was only the crazy people at my gym.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to read on the dreadmill. But I can on the elliptical. If I find myself on there, YES. I will gladly read there. Much better than watching the boob tube, for sure!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I think you're a judgemental jerk. who says I'm not working hard enough just because I'm able to read while running on a treadmill? Who are you to say if someone is "working hard enough"... stop watching others and do your own thing
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've done it. I'm multi-tasking. I have reading for school, but I need to get some exercise in.

Treadmill + book = solution for me
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    My mom takes her Kindle to the gym and I see older men reading the Newspaper quite often. The people who do this are probably aiming to keep their mind off the fact that they are in fact exercising. I don't see it as a fail, I see it as a win. The could easily be doing the same thing, but sitting down. At least they're moving.

don't you think they would have better progress/results if they concentrated on their routine for an hour?

I'm thinking that the people who are doing this at gym aren't there for massive gains. Probably just to be active.... There are older people at my gym who come to socialize with other older people... I'm not going to criticize them- it's not affecting my workout.

Me thinks you should just concentrate on your own workout. At least they're trying.
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I saw someone on a treadmill reading a book today, and it kind of got me to thinking. If you are on a treadmill running/walking whatever, how can you concentrate on reading a book? Another person brings in a tablet and sets it on ground in front of them when working with some of the machines...weird..
    I mean we can't go to the gym for an hour without brining a book or tablet, really?

I usually take my Kindle and read while on the elliptical. I make the font huge so I can actually read it. Reading usually distracts me from how long I've been on a machine. One time I stayed on the elliptical for an hour and a half because I wanted to keep reading. I read the entire Song of Fire and Ice series (Game of Thrones for HBO enthusiasts) on the elliptical over the course of 3 months. It's better than sitting on a couch and reading, so I have no idea what the big deal is.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused, what is there to focus on if you're just walking or running on a treadmill anyway? Not falling? :)

I haven't tried personally, I don't think I could read very well while walking, but if it works for them, by all means.
  • dchief30
    dchief30 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I always see that I think it is weak when I run or bike or do work out number one exercise is a brain game you have to be focus on what you are doing other wise you give up when you exercise if you are serious about it that is all you should do as far as watching tv I can see because you don't watch it the whole time I get that but reading I don't think so
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    curious what the rest of you think ....read/tablet = yes, no, or epic fail ....

I'm curious to know, if you had the time to observe what other folks were doing at the gym, were you putting everything into YOUR routine? Sorry, but you did ask.

I will read/mess with You Tube/listen to uplifting music/whatever in the rest spaces between sets when strength training, but not if I am swimming (difficult), cycling (dangerous) or running (distracting). Working out I tend to be deaf and blind to whatever is around me.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Better than reading a book and driving a car at the same time.......

Everyone has different goals. Let's face it walking on a treadmill and riding stationary bikes can be pretty dull. If they're in the gym and moving it's a plus, not something I'd do but it's not really any of my business (unless buddy wants to read War and Peace from cover to cover while others are waiting for a treadmill :wink: )
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I saw someone on a treadmill reading a book today, and it kind of got me to thinking. If you are on a treadmill running/walking whatever, how can you concentrate on reading a book? Another person brings in a tablet and sets it on ground in front of them when working with some of the machines...weird..

In my humble opinion, if you are reading book or watching a tablet while at gym then said person is not working out hard enough and/or are not concentrating on routine.

I mean we can't go to the gym for an hour without brining a book or tablet, really?

curious what the rest of you think ....read/tablet = yes, no, or epic fail ....

tablet...maybe not while lifting, but nothing wrong against it on a treadmill or stationary bike. I don't see why you care about what other people are doing.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I usually hit the elliptical, crank up the resistance and put on Netflix. The motion makes it next to impossible to read for me. No worse than all the TVs showing things I'm not interested in that the gym has all over the place.

When just on the cardio machines busting my butt its a good distraction from my exhaustion creeping up on me. I'm more likely to hang on and finish what I'm watching rather than feeling burnt out earlier because I have nothing to focus on by how tired I am.

You never know what people are reading, doing or struggling with. And hobbies and interest outside of fitness are healthy too. Don't get judgmental.