reading while at the gym, really?

Options

Replies

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    I wish I could read a book while running. But the words would bounce around too much and I wouldn't be able to see where I was going and knowing me I would trip and break my ankle. Plus like you said, I wouldn't be able to focus on working out. Music serves me better. If I really wanted I could listen to a book on tape but I don't really like those, I prefer to actually read.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    This is the most ignorant and uncultured comment I've ever read on here.

care to elaborate? Or are you just going to spout off a bunch of crap that makes no sense...

Perhaps if you read more, you'd realize that it does make sense. Try picking up a book...

I have a house full of books, I just don't bring them to the gym....

amazing how some of you assume because I lift I do not read...that is pretty ignorant and stereotypical
  • Lucy_6678
    Lucy_6678 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with exercising the body and MIND? Reading is anything is great in my opinion!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    OP: Why do your goals have to be someone else's goals?
    What if I said, you're wasting your time and missing out on great books and movies because you're working out so hard?
    Just sayin'...

never said that ...

edit to add - hour and a half in the gym is going to prevent someone from reading the other 90% of day?

This is what you said verbatim:
    "In my humble opinion, if you are reading book or watching a tablet while at gym then said person is not working out hard enough and/or are not concentrating on routine."

According to whose standards/goals?
    I'm presuming yours, since you said it.

I said in my opinion and then asked for feedback ...

Never said my goals should be their goals...but I was assuming that people go to gym go get optimal results, so wouldn't you rather get everything out of your hour that you can?

You don't really want honest feedback, you just want everyone to agree with your "opinion".
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

care to elaborate? Or are you just going to spout off a bunch of crap that makes no sense...

Perhaps if you read more, you'd realize that it does make sense. Try picking up a book...

amazing how some of you assume because I lift I do not read...that is pretty ignorant and stereotypical

Stereotypical, yes. You've definitely proven that with this thread. Ignorant, not in the slightest.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    What's wrong with exercising the body and MIND? Reading is anything is great in my opinion!

never said reading was bad..I love to read
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options

I dont care...

I asked for opinions on the topic..and thank you for sharing yours...

:flowerforyou: I am kinda grumpy tonight, LOL.. While I do see what you mean, I have felt "judged" by my intensity in the gym in the past, so it just touched a nerve
  • ndj1979
    Options

Stereotypical, yes. You've definitely proven that with this thread. Ignorant, not in the slightest.

hmmm I am the ignorant one but you just spout off with nothing behind it....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP: Why do your goals have to be someone else's goals?
    What if I said, you're wasting your time and missing out on great books and movies because you're working out so hard?
    Just sayin'...

never said that ...

edit to add - hour and a half in the gym is going to prevent someone from reading the other 90% of day?

This is what you said verbatim:
    "In my humble opinion, if you are reading book or watching a tablet while at gym then said person is not working out hard enough and/or are not concentrating on routine."

According to whose standards/goals?
    I'm presuming yours, since you said it.

I said in my opinion and then asked for feedback ...

Never said my goals should be their goals...but I was assuming that people go to gym go get optimal results, so wouldn't you rather get everything out of your hour that you can?

You don't really want honest feedback, you just want everyone to agree with your "opinion".

I do ...but you did not provide any...you just jumped in and blasted the topic and my motives....
  • ndj1979
    Options

I dont care...

:flowerforyou: I am kinda grumpy tonight, LOL.. While I do see what you mean, I have felt "judged" by my intensity in the gym in the past, so it just touched a nerve

understood..

It was not an intensity critique ...it was just ..why wouldn't you want to get all you can out of your workout? I just feel that reading would hamper maximal results...but hey, I might be wrong..
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    OP, your motives are quite clear in several of your replies.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP, your motives are quite clear in several of your replies.

pray tell, what are my motives?
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this a little more and going back over yesterday's run and today's both of which I used the zombies run app during for different reasons. My Wednesday run was 5.5 miles home from work in the blazing hot sun, 87 degrees. I decided that the story line playing in between my music would keep me from thinking too much about how hot it was. I kept a steady pace of about 6.2 mph for the run. It was lovely and I remember the mission clearly even a day later.

My run on the treadmill I did at 6.5 with intervals between 7.5 and 8. Ended up averaging 7 for 3.5 miles. Much more intense. I tried to recall what happened in the mission, and I can only remember the very beginning which happened during my .25 warm up at 6mph. So I'm using it to distract me, but I'm so focused on the workout that I have no comprehension. So even though there was a storyline, it didn't keep me from focusing. I worked harder than the longer run at a slower speed, but the longer run was actually fun.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

I dont care...

understood..

It was not an intensity critique ...it was just ..why wouldn't you want to get all you can out of your workout? I just feel that reading would hamper maximal results...but hey, I might be wrong..

It's like walking and talking. Some people are capable of doing BOTH. Heck, I could run, read a book, AND listen to music at the same time no problem...

...As long as it is on a treadmill and I don't have to worry about running off a curb or into a bush.
  • iheartmy1dog
    iheartmy1dog Posts: 207
    Options
    I normally play games on my iPad or iPhone while using the elliptical... It passes the time for me, otherwise I get bored. I have actually gone pretty fast(20mph while at lvl 6) while doing this too so I don't think it necessarily takes away... Yes, I could be using both arm handles to exercise my arms but I go kayaking a few times a wk and started swimming so I figure I get my arm workout then.

When I use the treadmill I can't play games tho... At least not if I want to maintain a faster speed... But I do watch Netflix sometimes, or listen to music.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I dont care...

understood..

It's like walking and talking. Some people are capable of doing BOTH. Heck, I could run, read a book, AND listen to music at the same time no problem...

...As long as it is on a treadmill and I don't have to worry about running off a curb or into a bush.

you have a strange obsession with walking and talking...are you researching a book on the topic?
  • Joreanasaurous
    Options

I dont care...

understood..

you have a strange obsession with walking and talking...are you researching a book on the topic?

Just easiest thing to compare it too. We are dealing with simple minds here after all. I don't want to use a comparison that might tax what little brain power you have.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I dont care...

understood..

Just easiest thing to compare it too. We are dealing with simple minds here after all. I don't want to use a comparison that might tax what little brain power you have.

my brain power is quite fine...you are the one that keeps repeating herself ....
  • Joreanasaurous
    Options

I dont care...

understood..

my brain power is quite fine...you are the one that keeps repeating herself ....

Only because you have to grasp what I said the first time. And apparently the second time.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I dont care...

understood..

Only because you have to grasp what I said the first time. And apparently the second time.

no I get it, you are a bumbling idiot who is on repeat....