reading while at the gym, really?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    If I'm on a stationary bike, sure. Not really able to read anywhere else, and the stationary bike for me is when I need to get blood flow to continue in my legs after a particularly strenuous lower day.

But to each his own. Everybody seems to be reading something at my gym.

I could see the bike..

the tablet thing really blew my mind...LOL

Maybe the person had their workout routine on the tablet.
    I've used my phone to run my routine. A tablet would do the same thing.

But all n all, I say to each his own. I don't judge anyone in the gym and hope I get the same courtesy.

Do you think people who watch the TV's and people who are listening to music in the gym are not trying hard enough either?
    Just curious as to which electronics are okay and which are not.

music approved...a good play list will get you through any day ..

everything else = epic fail/not trying hard enough

These are YOUR words aren't they??? Only music is acceptable, everything else=epic fail. And as for the 50lb comment, well that just made you sound arrogant and a bit stupid.

i was just providing some advice as to how to lose more...that is arrogant?
  • Seik3n
    Seik3n Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    These are the type of people who are probably just exercising to burn off calories as opposed to exercising for the fitness benefits or aiming to rach a specific goal. The wrong approach if you ask me. Also the type of people who could be getting just as good results in half the time by actually focusing and putting in a bit of effort

I have specific goals and I manage to read on my tablet?

Fitness goals? you could probably hit them a lot faster by upping the intensity. I use the stationary bike for cardio sometimes and when I'm working hard enough there's no way I could be reading

That may be true, but it's not a one-size-fits-all solution. The problem here is that the OP asked a question and then he and many other people are telling folks that answered honestly why they're wrong and in some particularly scathing posts, dumb.

They weren't soliciting advice, they were answering a question. Working out and staying motivated is incredibly personal and subjective, and the constant squabbling and know-it-allism that inhabits the fitness community in general is harmful. Telling people that the way they choose to better themselves isn't at the optimum efficiency ratio could be helpful to a few, but will generally just intimidate others.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Whatever. I read my Nook on the treadmill ALL the time. I work plenty hard, thank you very much. My workout =/= your workout.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have a wall-mounted flatscreen TV with an internet-ready BluRay player and surround sound in my exercise room -- specifically for use while I'm on the elliptical.

Can't argue with the results I've achieved while concentrating on Law & Order and The West Wing while working out. I have mad multi-tasking skillz, yo.
  • Seik3n
    Seik3n Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If I'm on a stationary bike, sure. Not really able to read anywhere else, and the stationary bike for me is when I need to get blood flow to continue in my legs after a particularly strenuous lower day.

I could see the bike..

But all n all, I say to each his own. I don't judge anyone in the gym and hope I get the same courtesy.

Do you think people who watch the TV's and people who are listening to music in the gym are not trying hard enough either?

These are YOUR words aren't they??? Only music is acceptable, everything else=epic fail. And as for the 50lb comment, well that just made you sound arrogant and a bit stupid.

Yes. Why do you assume someone taking the time to answer YOUR question cares about how you do it. You're the uninformed in this thread, not them.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    These are the type of people who are probably just exercising to burn off calories as opposed to exercising for the fitness benefits or aiming to rach a specific goal. The wrong approach if you ask me. Also the type of people who could be getting just as good results in half the time by actually focusing and putting in a bit of effort

I have specific goals and I manage to read on my tablet?

Fitness goals? you could probably hit them a lot faster by upping the intensity. I use the stationary bike for cardio sometimes and when I'm working hard enough there's no way I could be reading

My HRM on my wrist and on the machine tell me I'm doing just fine. I want to exercise my heart and burn calories so I can increase my deficit. What more of a goal do I need to have? You didn't ask me about my intensity, so I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that I am not working at an intense level.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Maybe they figure it is better than just sitting on the couch to read.
    And some people of physical limitations that they can't do hardcore, lay in a pool of their own sweat, cardio.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I'm a multitasker so I have no issues with it.
    I have brought a book, but mostly I take my friend or my music.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm constantly trying to find ways to distract myself from the fact that I'm on a cardio machine. If I don't, I'm literally staring at the seconds tick by...it's excruciating. I need my mind engaged in something. I've tried music, movies, books, everything.

In the end, though, it's kind of like you say...I'm working too hard to pay attention to a book or follow a plot. I can listen to an entire podcast and not hear any of it. Reread the same page of the book 40 times. So it doesn't work for me, but I totally get it.

is running outside an option? I find that wayyyyy better than treadmill...
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have a question for the OP. Genuine one, not being snarky. If I get on the treadmill and set a program - time, distance, speed, intervals, etc. - and then am reading while I'm doing that workout, am I really not getting as good of a workout as if I focused on the workout? How exactly am I getting a better workout by focusing on the workout the treadmill in essence is putting me through? Again that's a serious question. If I'm getting a better workout by focusing, and you can give me a reasonable explanation as to why that's the case, I'm sure willing to try it.

I run outside (so no reading during that) and strength train with a trainer (who doesn't give me time to read), so primarily I'm reading when I'm getting 20-30 minutes of moderate cardio prior to my trainer sessions. Not trying to burn high calories - just trying to warm up the body.

Well, studies show that focusing burns 50% more calories...again, smh....

Link to the study please?
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Some people are better multitaskers than some. Personally, if I was going to do lots of cardio, then heck yeah I'd have a book. If I'm on cardio for long periods (not any more because I'm learning that it's not the best for ME), then I get too much time to think. I've got a mood disorder and I have too many things going on in my head. Running or elliptical or bike would give my brain too much blank space, and then the lows set in. I have constant noise in my background at all times because I don't want to hear my inner monologue. I can very easily distract myself with reading and music WHILE doing cardio. I personally need that or my brain gets the best of me and I end up in a bad place.
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I read on the bikes, and sometimes on the treadmill, because it's deathly boring pedalling to nowhere staring at the wall! Hence why I walk/run outside on cardio days...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    To the OP: I understand what you mean. Yeah, yeah, it's better than sitting at home, but I'd be curious at how much benefit they're getting. I think it speaks to that people seem to need to be distracted all the time, no one can live in the moment. Case in point: I did some spa time with the wife on vacation, and people had their f*****g cell phones with them, really? I do hiit, I barely notice the good looking women in my circuit, because I need to concentrate when doing halos with a 70 lb kettle bell.

And yes, lifting heavy s**t doesn't get old. And yes, I've done the tv while on the elliptical, not any more.

Music is different, it enhances the workout, not dstracts. It's like dancing that way.

If your workout is so boring you need distraction, get a different workout, and experience the joy of being in the zone, not zoned out.

this guy gets it...
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    I have a question for the OP. Genuine one, not being snarky. If I get on the treadmill and set a program - time, distance, speed, intervals, etc. - and then am reading while I'm doing that workout, am I really not getting as good of a workout as if I focused on the workout? How exactly am I getting a better workout by focusing on the workout the treadmill in essence is putting me through? Again that's a serious question. If I'm getting a better workout by focusing, and you can give me a reasonable explanation as to why that's the case, I'm sure willing to try it.

I run outside (so no reading during that) and strength train with a trainer (who doesn't give me time to read), so primarily I'm reading when I'm getting 20-30 minutes of moderate cardio prior to my trainer sessions. Not trying to burn high calories - just trying to warm up the body.

Well, studies show that focusing burns 50% more calories...again, smh....

Link to the study please?
    I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I never judged anyone...I simply asked for opinions on a topic..

please find the comment where I made a judgement...

In my humble opinion, if you are reading book or watching a tablet while at gym then said person is not working out hard enough and/or are not concentrating on routine.

Found it!

ummm I guess you do not understand difference between opinion and judgement..

Opinion = in my opinion reading while at gym hampers working out....

Judgement = everyone who reads in gym is getting crappy workout and should stop immediately...

good attempt though, but still failure...
  • ndj1979
    Options

I could see the bike..

Yes. Why do you assume someone taking the time to answer YOUR question cares about how you do it. You're the uninformed in this thread, not them.

wait..they took the time to come into my thread and answer my question, but THEY don't care??????

interesting logic there...
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Some people are not idiots and can do more than one thing at a time. Just because you can't doesn't mean others can't....smh....

It's been proven that multi-tasking is a myth. You aren't focusing on multiple tasks at once you are actually flipping between them which just means instead of doing one thing well and moving onto the next you are doing several things poorly.

Most of what people are describing when they say they can read is long steady state cardio which is probably the most boring workout you can do especially on gym equiptment indoors. Seriously if you are that bored with your workout go find something you enjoy. You'll get much better results by cutting down your workout time and upping the intensity (relative to level of fitness). Add in some intervals to make things interesting. Work to breathless where improvements in your fitness will occur. Plodding away for hours at time at a comfortable enough state to be reading isn't going to do much for your fitness.

If you're bored listen to music which has been proven to enhance a workout (if it's the right type)
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I say if it gets a sedentary person moving and helps them take care of themselves better than good for them.

Even if it does "hamper" their working out, who cares? It sure as hell isn't my place to look down on them for doing what they need to do in order to get the job done.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I could see the bike..

Did they ask for it? No? then it's arrogant.