Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »
    When it comes down to weight loss, CICO is all that matters... BUT...
    • Keto makes it easier - if you can stick to it - and has additional health benefits.
    • IF makes it easier and has additional health benefits.

Weight loss was so easy for me when I stuck to keto. It melted off me. Every day the scale would be down a bit more. It was awesome.

But in the end I found it too restrictive and stopped. Now losing weight with a standard diet is so much harder. And I miss the nice health benefits of keto. But carbs are so tasty. :(

These sort of blanket statements are rarely applicable to the broader community.

How do Keto and IF make it easier? IF in particular comes down to a matter of personal preference, so for some people that prefer to time their calorie intake according to a certain window, then that may be easier - but it would not be easier for me based on my schedule and preferences. Similarly with keto, personal preference on foods that some find satiating, for me, that would not be desirable or easier - I would have to drastically overhaul my diet to cut carbs that low and with no medical reason to restrict carb intake, what additional health benefits would keto provide?

Yep, they are anecdotal. I can't experience keto or IF from another person's perspective. I suppose I could rephrase that these methods only work for some people. I mentioned the health benefits that I experienced in an above comment. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    • Keto makes it easier - if you can stick to it - and has additional health benefits.
    How does it make is easier if you can't stick to it? Isn't that making it harder than easier? And anything one does to improve weight loss and improve nutritional profile has additional health benefits regardless of diet.
    [*] IF makes it easier and has additional health benefits.

Weight loss was so easy for me when I stuck to keto. It melted off me. Every day the scale would be down a bit more. It was awesome.

But in the end I found it too restrictive and stopped. Now losing weight with a standard diet is so much harder. And I miss the nice health benefits of keto. But carbs are so tasty. :(
    And this is the point of not dieting with an overly restrictive diet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm saying it made the process of weight loss way easier and I miss how EASY it was to lose weight while doing it. If someone is able to commit to that kind of eating, they'll have success. But if you're a carb-lover, it ain't gonna work out in the end. That's all I'm saying. I'm 100% aware of the importance of sustainability.

no to the bolded.

if a person can commit to a calorie deficit they will have success.

A way of getting that deficit is not relevant.

and unless you are in a calorie deficit keto and IF do not guarantee success...

and what are the additional health benefits that keto and IF offer that no other WOE does??? this I can hardly wait to hear.

Hmm, I am having regrets posting my unpopular opinion, haha. My first line was that it all comes down to CICO, so obviously I know that. :)

The benefits I experienced with keto were: better mental clarity, more energy, better sleep, MUCH less flatulence/bloating, no bad breath, reduced and stable appetite, no sugar crashes. These are not uncommon.

There is some growing science out there about the benefits of IF.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3680567/

"There is indeed a large body of research to support the health benefits of fasting, though most of it has been conducted on animals, not humans. Still, the results have been promising. Fasting has been shown to improve biomarkers of disease, reduce oxidative stress and preserve learning and memory functioning, according to Mark Mattson, senior investigator for the National Institute on Aging, part of the US National Institutes of Health. Mattson has investigated the health benefits of intermittent fasting on the cardiovascular system and brain in rodents, and has called for “well-controlled human studies” in people “across a range of body mass indexes” (J Nutr Biochem 2005;16:129–37)."

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellbeing/nutrition/new-intermittent-fasting-studies-reignite-debate-about-its-benefits-20170301-gunyx5.html
    http://www.johnshopkinshealthreview.com/issues/spring-summer-2016/articles/are-there-any-proven-benefits-to-fasting

I still don't see any proven benefits.

Your own personal experience sounds great but that is an individual.
    As for the study done in animals eh...not a fan of them nor their results...as far as being able to apply it to humans anyway.

I asked as I know for myself I have done a few different types of diets and none of those worked very well...I find anything that is restrictive has a bigger chance of failing for the vast majority than just eating regular food in smaller portions.

ETA: I am in no way dismissing the effectiveness of Keto or IF for those that like it.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    How does it make is easier if you can't stick to it? Isn't that making it harder than easier? And anything one does to improve weight loss and improve nutritional profile has additional health benefits regardless of diet.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm saying it made the process of weight loss way easier and I miss how EASY it was to lose weight while doing it. If someone is able to commit to that kind of eating, they'll have success. But if you're a carb-lover, it ain't gonna work out in the end. That's all I'm saying. I'm 100% aware of the importance of sustainability.

no to the bolded.

and what are the additional health benefits that keto and IF offer that no other WOE does??? this I can hardly wait to hear.

Hmm, I am having regrets posting my unpopular opinion, haha. My first line was that it all comes down to CICO, so obviously I know that. :)

The benefits I experienced with keto were: better mental clarity, more energy, better sleep, MUCH less flatulence/bloating, no bad breath, reduced and stable appetite, no sugar crashes. These are not uncommon.

"There is indeed a large body of research to support the health benefits of fasting, though most of it has been conducted on animals, not humans. Still, the results have been promising. Fasting has been shown to improve biomarkers of disease, reduce oxidative stress and preserve learning and memory functioning, according to Mark Mattson, senior investigator for the National Institute on Aging, part of the US National Institutes of Health. Mattson has investigated the health benefits of intermittent fasting on the cardiovascular system and brain in rodents, and has called for “well-controlled human studies” in people “across a range of body mass indexes” (J Nutr Biochem 2005;16:129–37)."

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellbeing/nutrition/new-intermittent-fasting-studies-reignite-debate-about-its-benefits-20170301-gunyx5.html
    http://www.johnshopkinshealthreview.com/issues/spring-summer-2016/articles/are-there-any-proven-benefits-to-fasting

I still don't see any proven benefits.

Your own personal experience sounds great but that is an individual.
    As for the study done in animals eh...not a fan of them nor their results...as far as being able to apply it to humans anyway.

I asked as I know for myself I have done a few different types of diets and none of those worked very well...I find anything that is restrictive has a bigger chance of failing for the vast majority than just eating regular food in smaller portions.

I know, I totally agree. And it's all anecdotal. I've been on MFP since 2011 and tried all sorts of things. I know in my head that CICO is the only true approach. I just wish I didn't love carbs so much as keto made me feel so awesome and made it super easy to lose weight!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have simplified my eating to the point where I just closely monitor 1) overall calories consumed and 2) protein grams and %. I loosely monitor fat/carbs/sodium/sugar to ensure that nothing is too far out of balance or beyond reasonable limits, but that has been working out well for over a year (in maintenance).
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

no to the bolded.

What are "sugar crashes"? Seriously. That always gets thrown around but I've never actually seen it happen anywhere.

Also no bad breath? Keto is notorious for causing bad breath, so much that it's even called "Keto breath".

I don’t have a study to point to to back this up, but when I (or people I know) say they have a sugar crash they are often referring to an experience like this:

Mid afternoon, a bit drowsy (yawning occasionally) and a bit hungry. I drink some orange juice. It perks me up for about an hour. But then, the tiredness comes back with a vengeance, I may nod off or feel like I really need to nod off and I often also get very hungry. I call it a sugar crash.

Nowadays if I’m a bit drowsy and peckish in the afternoon I’ll have some sunflower seeds, or beef jerky or maybe a homemade protein bar ( around 10g carb, 11g protein 11g fat). Perks me up some, I may still yawn but I do feel less drowsy. But an hour later I don’t experience the energy crash and hunger.

I don’t have anything personally against carbs and sugar. My blood sugar levels are fine. But, I know that eating/drinking sugar without other macros is a BAD thing for me because I will ‘sugar crash’.

Is there any science/research results on humans to support sugar crash? I thought so. Isn’t that why diabetics who take insulin need to have a sugar snack available- so that if they injected too much insulin mistakenly they didn’t pass out? But, that memory is from a school chum with diabetes type 1 and from the early 1990’s so I could be mistaken. I just always thought my sugar crashes were a mild version of too much insulin in my body after a sugar heavy snack.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »

That's funny because I weigh..a lot.. and have perfect blood pressure, cholesterol, the works. My doctors say that I'm healthy. Fat, but healthy. I trust someone with a medical degree a lot more than a trust someone with a personal opinion.

You look young. So, that’s awesome. But, continued obesity into older age will start to create big problems. By age 40 or so, you won’t be quite as glib about your health stats because they will start showing signs or wear and tear in the form of health issues. Despite your current gift, start working on bringing the weight down and avoiding the inevitable future if you remain overweight. I assume that’s why you’re here, so that’s a great start.

This was exactly my case. I am extremely heavy, but all my markers were fine - blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides - everything came back find, and had for the 25+ years that I had been obese.

HOWEVER, I knew that while I was healthy now, the odds were stacked pretty heavily against me staying that way the older I got, especially since my dad's side has a heavy history of heart disease and my mom's side has the history of diabetes.

I watched my parents become diabetic and my sister become diabetic, and I just did not want to follow that path. After years of self-loathing and criticism, I finally decided to try to lose weight again, and so far, so good. I'll probably never get all the way into the "healthy" weight BMI range, but if I can just get under 30 BMI, I think I'll have vastly improved the statistical chances of my remaining healthy longer than they were before.

Though to be honest, after nearly losing 100 lbs, I still don't feel better, like everyone thinks I should......
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Carbs are good and an essential part of a healthy diet. Carbs are very bad and will cause obesity and obesity related diseases if eaten in excess of certain levels. Both statements are true.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Goal179 wrote: »
    Carbs are good and an essential part of a healthy diet. Carbs are very bad and will cause obesity and obesity related diseases if eaten in excess of certain levels. Both statements are true.

@Goal179 same as fats and protein though
This discussion has been closed.