Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I like eating a few gummy bears after I work out but I have no disipline when they are in my house...I stopped buying them because I believe they cause more harm than good....its a very unpopular opinion in my house. Does this count?

I get the annies singles(60 calories) in a 50 count box from Costco.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to grab a bag of the halloween sized sour patch kids single packs for a post-workout snack.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    gt5841b wrote: »
    Diet and workout are less about health and more about being hot for me. I have a better sex life if I feel confident about my appearance. Health and wellness are icing.

keepin' it real
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I like eating a few gummy bears after I work out but I have no disipline when they are in my house...I stopped buying them because I believe they cause more harm than good....its a very unpopular opinion in my house. Does this count?

You are my hero! Fantastic idea!!! Im going to have to pick some up!!
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Diet and workout are less about health and more about being hot for me. I have a better sex life if I feel confident about my appearance. Health and wellness are icing.

also this ...100% my motivation too lol. No shame!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Interesting take. What's the good word?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    I've been meaning to grab a bag of the halloween sized sour patch kids single packs for a post-workout snack.

Too late.

The perfect energy source in a sweet/sour hugable package. Ambrosia in a pouch.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Too late.

I go straight to the 5 lb bag. Yeah, I may have a problem.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Too late.

I wish I'd thought of that. I could have saved a few bucks.
  • stanmann571
    Options

I have the same issue. with gummies/chips/etc. so I get the singles. It's more expensive, but less painful than eating a 24 oz bag when I want 4 doritos.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,851 Member
    Options

I have the same issue. with gummies/chips/etc. so I get the singles. It's more expensive, but less painful than eating a 24 oz bag when I want 4 doritos.

One of my life challenges: They don't make the old-school taco flavor Doritos in singles. Only flavor I like, and I can eat them like a mad dog. Learning to moderate them from the big bag: Hard; very hard.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Here's another one of mine: As an individual that makes their living selling dietary supplements, I think that most multivitamins are pretty useless for the majority of the population buying them.

IMO, most multivitamins are pretty low in most nutrients (except for b 12, sometimes) and often only have around 100% of the FDA DRV of most of them, which is a pretty much just a token amount. Most people that are health-minded enough to buy a multivitamin and actually take it on a regular basis probably eat well enough to get a wide variety of vitamins from their food, barring specific medical conditions or diagnosed deficiencies. For those people, therapeutic amounts of the missing nutrients usually aren't present in the average multivitamin, and such individuals usually have to buy isolated, specific supplements (EX: a person with a vitamin D deficiency taking a specific D3 supplement rather than a multivitamin with D3). Multivitamins just provide "insurance" by bringing people peace of mind that they're getting baseline amounts of vitamins and minerals (sometimes).

I think that most people would do better by getting a good, methylated B-Complex and D-3 (2000 IU, unless you're really low), both of which are cheaper on their own than a multi.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Here's another one of mine: As an individual that makes their living selling dietary supplements, I think that most multivitamins are pretty useless for the majority of the population buying them.

IMO, most multivitamins are pretty low in most nutrients (except for b 12, sometimes) and often only have around 100% of the FDA DRV of most of them, which is a pretty much just a token amount. Most people that are health-minded enough to buy a multivitamin and actually take it on a regular basis probably eat well enough to get a wide variety of vitamins from their food, barring specific medical conditions or diagnosed deficiencies. For those people, therapeutic amounts of the missing nutrients usually aren't present in the average multivitamin, and such individuals usually have to buy isolated, specific supplements (EX: a person with a vitamin D deficiency taking a specific D3 supplement rather than a multivitamin with D3). Multivitamins just provide "insurance" by bringing people peace of mind that they're getting baseline amounts of vitamins and minerals (sometimes).

I think that most people would do better by getting a good, methylated B-Complex and D-3 (2000 IU, unless you're really low), both of which are cheaper on their own than a multi.

The RDA for D3 is unfortunately based on an unrealistic estimate for outdoor activity and likely needs to be reassessed in light of the general indoor nature of modern American life.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    IMO, most multivitamins are pretty low in most nutrients (except for b 12, sometimes) and often only have around 100% of the FDA DRV of most of them, which is a pretty much just a token amount.

Now I'm confused. DRV is daily recommend amount, right? So if you are taking 100% of the DRV, aren't you getting what you are supposed to have? If it's actually necessary to go over the DRV, in some cases I've seen to the tune of 3 or 4x the DRV, then why is that number the DRV and not the higher one?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    IMO, most multivitamins are pretty low in most nutrients (except for b 12, sometimes) and often only have around 100% of the FDA DRV of most of them, which is a pretty much just a token amount.

Now I'm confused. DRV is daily recommend amount, right? So if you are taking 100% of the DRV, aren't you getting what you are supposed to have? If it's actually necessary to go over the DRV, in some cases I've seen to the tune of 3 or 4x the DRV, then why is that number the DRV and not the higher one?

Especially if one already has an okay diet. I think for most who take it it's intended as a backup.

I don't take a multi, admittedly -- I'm confident I get plenty of most things and it gave me stomach issues. I do take a D3 in the winter.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    There is a difference between a sport and a competition. All sports are competitions, but not all competitions are sports. Fishing doesn’t become a sport merely because a lot of fishermen get together and compete against each other for a prize, it is a competition. The same with synchronized swimming, dogsledding, powerlifting, competitive eating, ice sculpturing, and lumberjacking; the mere fact that people gather and engage in these activities in competition with each other does not make them sports. That doesn’t mean that many competitive activities don’t require just as much talent, dexterity, strength, and resilience as sports do.

you might want to revamp this list...

synchronized swimming is hard and requires a lot of physical endurance and strength.
    as does powerlifting
    lumber jacking aka highland games

sports again are defined as an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

where as game is defined as a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

and competitions are what are a result of games/sports...

The defining characteristic isn’t whether an activity is “hard” or not. I scuba dive, it is very physically demanding, but it isn’t anything close to a sport.

One of the characteristics that define a sport is whether participants actually play against another individual or team, with that opposing individual or team able to exert some sort of defense or otherwise impede their efforts. Otherwise, it is just an activity.

A group of synchronized swimmers can gather in a pool in an empty building and put on a very physically demanding performance – the presence of others isn’t required to participate in the activity. In the Summer Olympics, the best groups of swimmers gather together and compete, but at no time do any of the groups ever physically interact with each other or otherwise influence their performances. Therefore it isn’t a sport, it is a competition.

The same with powerlifting. I lifted weights this morning, engaging in an individual activity, not a sport, even though it required strength. If I show up at a powerlifting event this weekend, I’m performing similar activities before judges, and if I happen to lift the most weight, I win the competition. That doesn’t make it a sport. Only if an opposing powerlifter was able to affect my performance in some way would it become a sport.
    the bolded is not in any definition of "sport" that I Have seen.

scuba diving depending on how it's done could be considered a sport...

tell me running isn't a sport...but it is mostly done as an individual, can be done in competition and the others competing will not affect the performance of the runner unless by accident.

so again...
    sports again are defined as an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

where as game is defined as a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

and competitions are what are a result of games/sports...

btw I have a brother who is a master diver and I have done some myself...is it a sport...Yes...based on the definiton of it being done by an individual for entertainment....and if you require the competition aspect..fine they are competing against themselves

I interpret “against” as literal.

Competing against someone else doesn’t mean you have the opportunity to interfere with their success. It means that you are on opposing sides of the competition.
    If I am in a race with someone, I am competing against them. If I cross the finish line first, I win. If they cross first, I lose.
    That doesn’t require that they have the opportunity to block me from passing them like an outfielder would have the opportunity to rob an opposing player of a home run.
    Competing “against” another person or team simply means that each is opposed to the victory of the other in that one team succeeding means failure for the other team.
    If I succeed in deadlifting more than the other guy, he loses. We are against one another.
    He need not have the opportunity to take out my knees during the lift in order for it to be considered a sport.
    For you to interpret “against” as literal is fine. The explanation I offer here fits the literal definition of against.
    For you to say that “against” means an opportunity to defend against the opposition is not interpreting “against” as literal. It is misinterpreting the clear language of the definition and extrapolating it to say things it doesn’t say.
    Any child can understand that racing “against” someone else doesn’t mean you get to throw turtle shells at them a la Mario Kart. It means that one wins and the other loses.
This discussion has been closed.