Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    If that were the case then there would be no absolute truths, it would all depend on what the persons definition was...

Sadly, there are a lot of people who say exactly that, these days - that there is no such thing as absolute truth.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    If that were the case then there would be no absolute truths, it would all depend on what the persons definition was...

Sadly, there are a lot of people who say exactly that, these days - that there is no such thing as absolute truth.

Everyone dies. Absolute truth.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Some games are not sports. They may require skill, and a bit of fitness but a sport? Worthy of the Olympics? Nah.

Games IMO:
    • nascar or other race car or motor bike sports
    • golf
    • ping pong
    • bowling
    • curling (that was hard for a Canadian to admit)
    • baseball
    • horse riding or jumping
    • crickett

Almost sport like:
    diving
    ski jumping

While yoga is not a sport, it is an exercise that destroys me well.

Lotsa nope there. How are you defining a sport? Most of those are sports and require training and fitness.

Training and fitness in the elite maybe. Specialized skills? Definitely.

I forgot darts and billards in there.

This is just purely opinion based. Like deciding on whether art actually art to an observer. Some fitness required does play into it - for me.

All sports are games, but not all games are sports. I think it boils down to this: in order for a game to be a sport, there has to be some sort of physical defense presented by an individual or team. By this standard, bowling, golf, track, gymnastics, diving, etc. are not sports, because they can be performed individually without anyone else present. However, games like polo, tennis, curling, soccer, fencing, etc., are sports, because there is another party attempting to physically defend the progress of the individual/team.

There are plenty of gray areas. Car racing / horse racing / long distance track (where they aren’t confined to a lane) where people are able to passively or incidentally interfere with each other; is this defense? I’m not sure, probably not. Also, the World Series of Poker events – is the play of others a defense, in that they bluff and otherwise try to derail the other players? This is not a direct defense, since they can’t physically effect what cards other players receive and how they play them. Since it is merely a psychological “defense”, poker is a game, not a sport.

Darts - is closing out a number “defense”? Billiards - is placing your ball between your opponent’s and the closest pocket defense?

Another element - physicality. Is there a minimal amount of physical effort required? If not, chess is a sport, lol

Well, thinking more intensely does, by some reports, burn more calories. So, by an earlier-proposed, equally silly and also not generally accepted definition (of "exercise"), chess is an exercise, even if not a sport.

Maybe, if insightful strategy is an inherent part of making war, chess is even a sport.

(In just to redefine things in not generally accepted and increasingly silly ways. ;) ).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between a sport and a competition. All sports are competitions, but not all competitions are sports. Fishing doesn’t become a sport merely because a lot of fishermen get together and compete against each other for a prize, it is a competition. The same with synchronized swimming, dogsledding, powerlifting, competitive eating, ice sculpturing, and lumberjacking; the mere fact that people gather and engage in these activities in competition with each other does not make them sports. That doesn’t mean that many competitive activities don’t require just as much talent, dexterity, strength, and resilience as sports do.

you might want to revamp this list...

synchronized swimming is hard and requires a lot of physical endurance and strength.
    as does powerlifting
    lumber jacking aka highland games

sports again are defined as an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

where as game is defined as a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

and competitions are what are a result of games/sports...

The defining characteristic isn’t whether an activity is “hard” or not. I scuba dive, it is very physically demanding, but it isn’t anything close to a sport.

One of the characteristics that define a sport is whether participants actually play against another individual or team, with that opposing individual or team able to exert some sort of defense or otherwise impede their efforts. Otherwise, it is just an activity.

A group of synchronized swimmers can gather in a pool in an empty building and put on a very physically demanding performance – the presence of others isn’t required to participate in the activity. In the Summer Olympics, the best groups of swimmers gather together and compete, but at no time do any of the groups ever physically interact with each other or otherwise influence their performances. Therefore it isn’t a sport, it is a competition.

The same with powerlifting. I lifted weights this morning, engaging in an individual activity, not a sport, even though it required strength. If I show up at a powerlifting event this weekend, I’m performing similar activities before judges, and if I happen to lift the most weight, I win the competition. That doesn’t make it a sport. Only if an opposing powerlifter was able to affect my performance in some way would it become a sport.
    the bolded is not in any definition of "sport" that I Have seen.

scuba diving depending on how it's done could be considered a sport...

tell me running isn't a sport...but it is mostly done as an individual, can be done in competition and the others competing will not affect the performance of the runner unless by accident.

so again...
    sports again are defined as an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

where as game is defined as a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

btw I have a brother who is a master diver and I have done some myself...is it a sport...Yes...based on the definiton of it being done by an individual for entertainment....and if you require the competition aspect..fine they are competing against themselves
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between a sport and a competition. All sports are competitions, but not all competitions are sports. Fishing doesn’t become a sport merely because a lot of fishermen get together and compete against each other for a prize, it is a competition. The same with synchronized swimming, dogsledding, powerlifting, competitive eating, ice sculpturing, and lumberjacking; the mere fact that people gather and engage in these activities in competition with each other does not make them sports. That doesn’t mean that many competitive activities don’t require just as much talent, dexterity, strength, and resilience as sports do.

synchronized swimming is hard and requires a lot of physical endurance and strength.
    as does powerlifting

The defining characteristic isn’t whether an activity is “hard” or not. I scuba dive, it is very physically demanding, but it isn’t anything close to a sport.

One of the characteristics that define a sport is whether participants actually play against another individual or team, with that opposing individual or team able to exert some sort of defense or otherwise impede their efforts. Otherwise, it is just an activity.

A group of synchronized swimmers can gather in a pool in an empty building and put on a very physically demanding performance – the presence of others isn’t required to participate in the activity. In the Summer Olympics, the best groups of swimmers gather together and compete, but at no time do any of the groups ever physically interact with each other or otherwise influence their performances. Therefore it isn’t a sport, it is a competition.

The same with powerlifting. I lifted weights this morning, engaging in an individual activity, not a sport, even though it required strength. If I show up at a powerlifting event this weekend, I’m performing similar activities before judges, and if I happen to lift the most weight, I win the competition. That doesn’t make it a sport. Only if an opposing powerlifter was able to affect my performance in some way would it become a sport.

Where are getting the bolded from? I've seen several definitions of "sport" and none mention this particular qualification.

https://www.reference.com/sports-active-lifestyle/main-characteristics-sports-b007b055c5119

The primary defining characteristic of sports is that there must be competition, either against and opponent or against one self. For an activity to be competitive, there must be the possibility for one of the participants to be declared the victor. Without competition the activity is simply leisure.
    In addition to being competitive, sports require physical exertion. The physical exertion can vary from extreme, in the case of a marathon runner, to light, in the case of a golfer. The important thing is that some level of physical skill is being used.
    For an activity to be considered a sport, it must also be organized. A single runner covering the distance of a marathon is not a sport. The runner is engaging in play, or a leisure activity. When other runners are present, on a specific day and time, and the runners compete to see who can cover the distance the most quickly, the event is considered a sport.
    Finally, sports are not work. With the exception of professional sports, sports are activities that people undertake for pleasure.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

as does powerlifting

Where are getting the bolded from? I've seen several definitions of "sport" and none mention this particular qualification.

https://www.reference.com/sports-active-lifestyle/main-characteristics-sports-b007b055c5119

The primary defining characteristic of sports is that there must be competition, either against and opponent or against one self. For an activity to be competitive, there must be the possibility for one of the participants to be declared the victor. Without competition the activity is simply leisure.
    In addition to being competitive, sports require physical exertion. The physical exertion can vary from extreme, in the case of a marathon runner, to light, in the case of a golfer. The important thing is that some level of physical skill is being used.
    For an activity to be considered a sport, it must also be organized. A single runner covering the distance of a marathon is not a sport. The runner is engaging in play, or a leisure activity. When other runners are present, on a specific day and time, and the runners compete to see who can cover the distance the most quickly, the event is considered a sport.
    Finally, sports are not work. With the exception of professional sports, sports are activities that people undertake for pleasure.

that last part is interesting.

I feel like it's specifically included in order to differentiate from occupational competitions for physical professions, like are held for firefighters, soldiers, police officers, etc.
  • jdlobb
    Options
    I would love to see a definition of sport, by a single authoritative body, that includes some of the bonkers qualifications as have been proposed here.
  • jdlobb
    edited November 2017
    Options
    There is a form of competitive SCUBA called Sport Diving, and of course there's free diving.

I guess if you're diving for the purpose of being more competitive in sport diving, then all of your diving is sport.

But I don't think recreational scuba diving fits any description of sport, no matter how loose, I've seen here. Good evidence for that was the necessity to prefix it with "sport" when done in competition.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

as does powerlifting

the bolded is not in any definition of "sport" that I Have seen.

scuba diving depending on how it's done could be considered a sport...

tell me running isn't a sport...but it is mostly done as an individual, can be done in competition and the others competing will not affect the performance of the runner unless by accident.

so again...

btw I have a brother who is a master diver and I have done some myself...is it a sport...Yes...based on the definiton of it being done by an individual for entertainment....and if you require the competition aspect..fine they are competing against themselves

Focusing on this part of your definition:

…in which an individual or team competes against another or others...

I interpret “against” as literal. With powerlifting, synchronized swimming, golf, etc., you are not competing directly against other competitors (they may not even be in the venue with you at the time you are competing), you are performing an activity as an individual or team and that performance is then compared to other individuals or teams, whether it is the amount of weight lifted, the judge’s scores, the number of golf strokes, etc.

In tennis, basketball, soccer, hockey, baseball, etc., you are literally competing against an opponent, and the requirement of the simultaneous presence of an opponent defines the activity as a sport. In basketball you don’t have a single team come out and shoot as many baskets as possible in 48 minutes and then another team come out afterwards and do the same thing, later comparing the point totals and then declaring a winner. The interaction between the 2 teams in exerting their will upon the other is integral and is one of the major factors that defines it as a sport.

It is fairly common in competitive powerlifting for attempts to be based off of what other competitors are lifting/totaling though. What one lifter does can change the outcome of what another may decide to attempt... So it's not entirely "we'll each do our own thing and then compare after." There is a certain aspect of interaction which can affect the outcome.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    dinadyna21 wrote: »
    I think everyone has their own way to weight loss, people shouldn't judge or try to make them do it their way. The journey is personal.

I don't think that is unpopular at all.

This discussion has been closed.