Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    I'd love to lift at home, but I don't have the many several grand I would need to build a home gym I wanted

You wouldn't have to spend that much I don't think.

I have a weight set (2nd hand) a squat rack my husband/son built and chin up bar, rings, plates etc...

the most expensive thing is the weight plates...at 1$ a pound...it can add up.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Well *kitten*, 10 years of gymnastics I most definitely thought was a sport and now my whole life is a lie!

gymnastics actually better meets the archaic definition of "sport" than most of the others, since it originally comes from agility conditioning for ancient armies. Specifically, as training for Greek, Athenian, and Spartan warriors.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Some games are not sports. They may require skill, and a bit of fitness but a sport? Worthy of the Olympics? Nah.

Games IMO:
    • nascar or other race car or motor bike sports
    • golf
    • ping pong
    • bowling
    • curling (that was hard for a Canadian to admit)
    • baseball
    • horse riding or jumping
    • crickett

Almost sport like:
    diving
    ski jumping

While yoga is not a sport, it is an exercise that destroys me well.

You are actually opining that equestrian events should not be an Olympic sport? I think the ancient Greeks who invented the entire concept of the Olympics would disagree.

There is, granted, a yawning chasm between lumping 200 lbs of fat into a saddle like a sack of potatoes for a two-hour tourist trail ride vs. actual skilled riding descending from ancient military arts.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Some games are not sports. They may require skill, and a bit of fitness but a sport? Worthy of the Olympics? Nah.

Games IMO:
    • golf
    • ping pong
    • bowling
    • baseball
    • crickett

Almost sport like:
    diving
    ski jumping

You are actually opining that equestrian events should not be an Olympic sport? I think the ancient Greeks who invented the entire concept of the Olympics would disagree.

There is, granted, a yawning chasm between lumping 200 lbs of fat into a saddle like a sack of potatoes for a two-hour tourist trail ride vs. actual skilled riding descending from ancient military arts.

yep. Also, according to the aforementioned archaic definition of "sport" as basically practice for warfare or combat, I don't think you can get much more "sport" than equestrian sports, aka cavalry practice.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I'd love to lift at home, but I don't have the many several grand I would need to build a home gym I wanted

As well as the physical space for it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Games IMO:
    • golf
    • ping pong
    • bowling
    • baseball
    • crickett

Almost sport like:
    diving
    ski jumping

Sports don't necessitate fitness, they necessitate skill. In many sports, a level of fitness is required to reach the requisite level of skill, but not always. I think what's off is your definition of "sport".

The traditional definition of sport are combat/warrior skills performed in a nonlethal/recreational format.

that seems like an awfully archaic definition of "sport."

Be that as it may, it's Objective not subjective and thus useful for conversation.

For example Darts exercises the skills used in Javelin throwing when outside practice is unfeasible.... Snow/ice/etc... Note: Rain doesn't qualify... If it ain't rainin... it ain't trainin.
  • SezxyStef
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The more people get upset about their game being called a sport, the more I am confident it is not a sport.

what? assuming you mean...the more people get upset that their game isn't a sport...

but in all fairness sport is defined as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." or "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature"

and until you play or do the activity mentioned your opinion on it being a sport/game is moot.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The more people get upset about their game *not* being called a sport, the more I am confident it is not a sport.

way to set the "dumbest post of the day" bar so high this early in the day.

If you're so insecure that a stranger on the internet not recognizing your activity as their definition of sport, then I'm dubious of the nature of that activity. Most sports impart a self-confidence that give you the ability to not care about other peoples categorization.

Definitely not people being insecure. Rather pointing out a false statement and providing reasons as to why it's false.. But whatever floats your boat. If baseball isn't a sport - damn, what will America do. Oh wait, that's because it is. Oye.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    The more people get upset about their game *not* being called a sport, the more I am confident it is not a sport.

way to set the "dumbest post of the day" bar so high this early in the day.

If you're so insecure that a stranger on the internet not recognizing your activity as their definition of sport, then I'm dubious of the nature of that activity. Most sports impart a self-confidence that give you the ability to not care about other peoples categorization.

Is powerlifting a sport though?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    There is a difference between a sport and a competition. All sports are competitions, but not all competitions are sports. Fishing doesn’t become a sport merely because a lot of fishermen get together and compete against each other for a prize, it is a competition. The same with synchronized swimming, dogsledding, powerlifting, competitive eating, ice sculpturing, and lumberjacking; the mere fact that people gather and engage in these activities in competition with each other does not make them sports. That doesn’t mean that many competitive activities don’t require just as much talent, dexterity, strength, and resilience as sports do.

you might want to revamp this list...

synchronized swimming is hard and requires a lot of physical endurance and strength.
    as does powerlifting
    lumber jacking aka highland games

sports again are defined as an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

where as game is defined as a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

and competitions are what are a result of games/sports...

This discussion has been closed.