Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    I think gyms make people lazy and codependent on someone else to decide for them what exercises they can and can't do based on machinery provided.

So if you don't have the advanced equipment at home to continue to improve your strength and cardio you suddenly become lazy because you join a gym with the equipment you need???

I don't need advanced equipment in my decision making skills. Or to stay fit. That's what the front door is for. It opens up to a world of free and limitless options.

Great for cardio, but what about weight training?

What's wrong with you? Lift boulders, woman! They're freeeeeeee!

(I do hope people noticed my use of the sarcasm font.)

Bwahaha! I was going to be offended, of course, but now I understand where you're coming from.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options

Can you elaborate on your initial statement?

Cheers, h.

Not needed. But thank you for participating. :)

If you weren't interested in debating your post why did you bother posting?

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'd argue I'm lazier not going to a gym. I don't get the extra steps and activity of getting there and getting changed etc. I just stand up and make a step in my lounge and voila! Gym! Oh and move the cat bad because my adjustable dumbbells are under there. Wait, am I lazy for using dumbbells, never mind adjustable ones?
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    One of my currently unpopular opinions is that women are way too much up in their SO's business when it comes to how they eat. Just let these guys be unless they ask for your opinion. Geeze.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    in all fairness I lift at home.

and no you don't need a gym to get stronger...there are many options out there for this such as well Yoga..or bodyweight exercises.

apps like convict conditioning that do progressive load.

I will say this however if you want to compete you may want a gym...but I know lots who have awesome home gyms that present no limitations...

*cough I have a home gym cough"
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I'd love to lift at home, but I don't have the many several grand I would need to build a home gym I wanted
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    In fairness, I lift at home too.

But the contention was that "... gyms make people lazy and codependent on someone else to decide for them what exercises they can and can't do based on machinery provided."

So it was about more than just "going to a gym". It was about what going to a gym did to a person and said about a person. That was the step too far.

To be fair, taking her analogy, any equipment anywhere would make someone "lazy and codependent" because said equipment would prescribe its usage. Granted that my freeweights have lots of options, but they're not unlimited.

Yeah, that was a bunch of nonsense obviously.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Some games are not sports. They may require skill, and a bit of fitness but a sport? Worthy of the Olympics? Nah.

Games IMO:
    • nascar or other race car or motor bike sports
    • golf
    • ping pong
    • bowling
    • curling (that was hard for a Canadian to admit)
    • baseball
    • horse riding or jumping
    • crickett

Almost sport like:
    diving
    ski jumping

While yoga is not a sport, it is an exercise that destroys me well.

Lotsa nope there. How are you defining a sport? Most of those are sports and require training and fitness.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    I'd love to lift at home, but I don't have the many several grand I would need to build a home gym I wanted

I know many like home gyms. I'm not one of them. I like going to the gym. They have far more equipment and possibilities for routine changes that I would ever have at home. And I like most of the other members at the small gym I belong to and enjoy the little bit of social interaction.

I would like to have a good, basic crossfit setup at home. rack, barbell and bumpers, rower, assault bike, pullup bar, etc.

I usually workout at the gym in my apartment complex, but they don't have bumpers. I've been playing with the idea of buying my own set of 45 bumper plates to take in. I don't think anybody would take them.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Some games are not sports. They may require skill, and a bit of fitness but a sport? Worthy of the Olympics? Nah.

Games IMO:
    • golf
    • ping pong
    • bowling
    • baseball
    • crickett

Almost sport like:
    diving
    ski jumping

Lotsa nope there. How are you defining a sport? Most of those are sports and require training and fitness.

Training and fitness in the elite maybe. Specialized skills? Definitely.

I forgot darts and billards in there.

This is just purely opinion based. Like deciding on whether art actually art to an observer. Some fitness required does play into it - for me.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Games IMO:
    • golf
    • ping pong
    • bowling
    • baseball
    • crickett

Almost sport like:
    diving
    ski jumping

Sports don't necessitate fitness, they necessitate skill. In many sports, a level of fitness is required to reach the requisite level of skill, but not always. I think what's off is your definition of "sport".

The traditional definition of sport are combat/warrior skills performed in a nonlethal/recreational format.
This discussion has been closed.